PDA

View Full Version : Military retirees to pay higher health premiums

pwaldo
10-09-2011, 04:05 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/military-retirees-pay-higher-health-premiums-210654632.html

Military retirees will pay slightly more for their health care starting Saturday, and more cost increases are on the way.

Premiums haven't been raised since 1994 and still will be just a fraction of what civilians pay. Under a change announced by the Defense Department on Thursday, individuals who enroll in the retiree program as of Saturday will pay $260 annually, up from $230, and it will be $520 annually for a family, up from $460.

Retirees already in the program will not see any increase until next year because they have already paid for this year. But "modest annual increases" are planned in the future, Cynthia Smith, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said.

Active duty service members get free health care and that will remain the same. But other personnel changes unpopular with service member may be in the offing due to U.S. budget problems, including changes to the system for retirement pay, which is under study.

theonedru
10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Boo hoo, a the report states they still pay less than the average person. everyone should get those rates because thats discrimination.

OnePimpTiger
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm all for helping vets, but my insurance premiums have been going up every year and theirs haven't gone up in 17 years? I can't feel too bad about that.

theonedru
10-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I think its disgusting really, What right does the government have to give them such good rates while the rest of us can struggle to pay ours. its time we all get on a level playing field and get rid of this military discount garbage and scrap the governments health care plan as well and make it more even for us all.

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 12:34 AM
$520 annually? I pay about $1000 per month, so I'm not shedding any tears over their $5 per month increase.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 12:36 AM
$520 annually? I pay about $1000 per month, so I'm not shedding any tears over their $5 per month increase.

It scares me when i agree with you, I can feel hell getting a little cooler every time

duane1969
10-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Yeah I am not upset by this at all. My wife and I are state employees and our annual health insurance runs us about 8 times that. If I can afford over $350 month for family health insurance then surely retirees can manage $43 a month. And their coverage is probably better than mine...

OnePimpTiger
10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
I think its disgusting really, What right does the government have to give them such good rates while the rest of us can struggle to pay ours. its time we all get on a level playing field and get rid of this military discount garbage and scrap the governments health care plan as well and make it more even for us all.

As I said before, I have no problem with the increase...but I also have no problem with vets getting a discount either. They volunteer to serve so I don't have to and so I can enjoy the freedoms I have...I think they should get something for that. I'm happy to pay a little more so the person who served my time in service can pay a little less.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 08:35 PM
As I said before, I have no problem with the increase...but I also have no problem with vets getting a discount either. They volunteer to serve so I don't have to and so I can enjoy the freedoms I have...I think they should get something for that. I'm happy to pay a little more so the person who served my time in service can pay a little less.

We all work and contribute to this country (well most of us anyways) so we all deserve the same thing, either hike theirs up to our levels or discount ours down to theirs. Anything else is unacceptable.

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 09:56 PM
We all work and contribute to this country (well most of us anyways) so we all deserve the same thing, either hike theirs up to our levels or discount ours down to theirs. Anything else is unacceptable.

Not all men are created equal. Some work harder than others. Some are smarter than others. Some are better athletes than others. Some are kinder than others. We do not all deserve to be treated the same. This is not a communist state.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Not all men are created equal. Some work harder than others. Some are smarter than others. Some are better athletes than others. Some are kinder than others. We do not all deserve to be treated the same. This is not a communist state.

we are when it comes to our health, we all have the equal right to live

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 10:38 PM

No, we aren't. Some people get a raw deal in life when it comes to health problems. Some bring health problems upon themselves. Some have a combination of both. Some are perfectly healthy. We are not all the same. We do not all have a right to make someone else provide us with health care services, especially when the service provider cannot make a profit doing it.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:02 PM
No, we aren't. Some people get a raw deal in life when it comes to health problems. Some bring health problems upon themselves. Some have a combination of both. Some are perfectly healthy. We are not all the same. We do not all have a right to make someone else provide us with health care services, especially when the service provider cannot make a profit doing it.

I maybe with you when it comes to those who life a detrimental lifestyle but someone should not be punished if born with something or has health issues due to mean beyond their own, and the fact that soldiers are given special treatment over any other American because of their occupation is a disgrace. Why do they deserve special treatment over someone else?

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I maybe with you when it comes to those who life a detrimental lifestyle but someone should not be punished if born with something or has health issues due to mean beyond their own, and the fact that soldiers are given special treatment over any other American because of their occupation is a disgrace. Why do they deserve special treatment over someone else?

So if someone has a health defect that will cost health care providers $1 million per year for the rest of the person's life to keep that person alive, then those costs should be paid for by someone (presumably the American taxpayer)?

As for the soldiers, why don't you worry about your own situation instead of focusing on what someone else has? And why don't you show some respect for the people who die every day to provide you with the luxury of being able to buy pictures of men on cardboard as a hobby and not nitpick the benefits they receive as a small bonus for the services they provide.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:17 PM
So if someone has a health defect that will cost health care providers $1 million per year for the rest of the person's life to keep that person alive, then those costs should be paid for by someone (presumably the American taxpayer)?

As for the soldiers, why don't you worry about your own situation instead of focusing on what someone else has? And why don't you show some respect for the people who die every day to provide you with the luxury of being able to buy pictures of men on cardboard as a hobby and not nitpick the benefits they receive as a small bonus for the services they provide.

They provide nothing for me doing what they do overseas, that's just a lie and don't try feeding me that governmental junk they feed us. They would do more good here in America being with their families like they should be. The fact that you don't think a human life is worth saving because of cost is deplorable, A life is worth saving regardless of the cost.

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
They provide nothing for me doing what they do overseas, that's just a lie and don't try feeding me that governmental junk they feed us. They would do more good here in America being with their families like they should be. The fact that you don't think a human life is worth saving because of cost is deplorable, A life is worth saving regardless of the cost.

Seriously, what if it was a billion dollars a year?

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Seriously, what if it was a billion dollars a year?

What if it was your child or wife needing that million $ a year to live, you would choose to let them die? The hypothetical arguments can be made both ways..

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:23 PM
What if it was your child or wife needing that million $ a year to live, you would choose to let them die? The hypothetical arguments can be made both ways..

No, you are deflecting. What if it was a billion dollars a year?

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
No, you are deflecting. What if it was a billion dollars a year?

its worth it, now your turn to answer

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
its worth it, now your turn to answer

Who would pay for it?

I have insurance, so your question really doesn't apply to me. If I didn't, I wouldn't expect someone else to pick up the bill.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Who would pay for it?

Does it matter I answered your question now that I hit you with a formative one you cannot or will not answer? Its a simple question if it were your child or spouse that required the million $ treatment would you let them die or not?

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I answered the question, and it absolutely does matter.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I answered the question, and it absolutely does matter.

No its a simple yes or no, your skirting the question. Yes or no...

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:42 PM
No its a simple yes or no, your skirting the question. Yes or no...

Here is what I wrote, "I have insurance, so your question really doesn't apply to me. If I didn't, I wouldn't expect someone else to pick up the bill."

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Here is what I wrote, "I have insurance, so your question really doesn't apply to me. If I didn't, I wouldn't expect someone else to pick up the bill."

So your saying you would let your wife or kids die rather than them be a burden, I see...

AUTaxMan
10-10-2011, 11:45 PM
So your saying you would let your wife or kids die rather than them be a burden, I see...

I can not "let them die" if I don't have the means to keep them alive.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I can not "let them die" if I don't have the means to keep them alive.

What, that makes little sense but anyways this is off topic and obviously going nowhere so back to the original topic.

AUTaxMan
10-11-2011, 12:05 AM
What, that makes little sense but anyways this is off topic and obviously going nowhere so back to the original topic.

In order to "let" someone die, that means you must have the ability to prevent their death. If you do not have the means to prevent their death, you likewise do not have the ability to "let" them die.

theonedru
10-11-2011, 12:28 AM
In order to "let" someone die, that means you must have the ability to prevent their death. If you do not have the means to prevent their death, you likewise do not have the ability to "let" them die.

All I needed was a yes or no which you for some reason refuse to do, rather you prefer to skirt around the question with more questions. It's a hypothetical question just man up and answer yes or no or just move on.

AUTaxMan
10-11-2011, 01:10 AM
All I needed was a yes or no which you for some reason refuse to do, rather you prefer to skirt around the question with more questions. It's a hypothetical question just man up and answer yes or no or just move on.

Your question contains a faulty assumption. My options are (a) to "let" them die or (b) force someone else to prevent their death at any cost not borne by me.

theonedru
10-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Your question contains a faulty assumption. Yes, I would rather "let" them die than have the government hold a gun to someone else's head and make them pay for it.

Yes or no, its that simple if your too afraid to answer it then I understand.

AUTaxMan
10-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes or no, its that simple if your too afraid to answer it then I understand.

Your question is illogical. I have attempted to explain this to you. It would be like asking me if I believe the men on Mars are green. I could give you a yes or no answer, but that would mean that I believe there are men on Mars, which I don't.

Is it that you don't understand that your question is illogical, or are you simply choosing to ignore that fact? I could give you a yes or no answer, but that would mean that I accept your premise, which doesn't make any sense.

theonedru
10-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Your question is illogical. I have attempted to explain this to you. It would be like asking me if I believe the men on Mars are green. I could give you a yes or no answer, but that would mean that I believe there are men on Mars, which I don't.

Is it that you don't understand that your question is illogical, or are you simply choosing to ignore that fact? I could give you a yes or no answer, but that would mean that I accept your premise, which doesn't make any sense.

You just refuse to answer and are making it look like its my fault you refuse to answer a simple yes or no question. You have an ill spouse or child, to keep them alive will require a million $'ers. Yes or no do you think its worth the cost to keep them alive knowing the strain it would be YES OR NO. Know whats hard to comprehend about that.

AUTaxMan
10-11-2011, 10:01 AM
You just refuse to answer and are making it look like its my fault you refuse to answer a simple yes or no question. You have an ill spouse or child, to keep them alive will require a million $'ers. Yes or no do you think its worth the cost to keep them alive knowing the strain it would be YES OR NO. Know whats hard to comprehend about that.

Yes. Don't know where I would get the money, but it would be worth the cost.

OnePimpTiger
10-11-2011, 09:21 PM

That is the main problem in the health care debate. The right to live is not the right to health insurance.

duane1969
10-12-2011, 08:28 AM
That is the main problem in the health care debate. The right to live is not the right to health insurance.

+1

Thank you. Finally somebody said it.

A right to life and a right to health care are two entirely different things. Up until the last 5 or 10 years it was always accepted that health care was something that the working class and wealthy had. Everyone else either got state funded health care, went to a free clinic or just dealt with it. Now suddenly it has become the "right" of the unemployed and career welfare recipients to have equal health care.

theonedru
10-12-2011, 02:28 PM
So what makes the government think they have the right to discount a soldiers premiums and make everyone else pay these crazy premiums. It needs to be fair across the board. Lets see them shell out $500 a month in premiums or have us shell out $500 a year for our families.

sanfran22
10-12-2011, 02:43 PM
So what makes the government think they have the right to discount a soldiers premiums and make everyone else pay these crazy premiums. It needs to be fair across the board. Lets see them shell out $500 a month in premiums or have us shell out $500 a year for our families.

Maybe because they put their life on the line for this country and all of us? I'd pay a portion of their healthcare as a thank you personally.....They are probably the only people that one could claim deserve the right to healthcare. If you want free healthcare, join the service. Could be a plan.

angel0430
10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
@The OneDrew - I am in the service and I am happy to have some extra benefits for doing the job that a lot of Americans either do not want to do it or are too scared to do it. I really don;t care since I do this because I want to and I like it.. If you look at our pay table we do not make a lot of money. So even thought I get free health care I still have to manage. I can't spend a lot of money on cards, cars, hobbies. Family and bills comes first. You need to be grateful that you can sit and relax in your house without the worry of going to war because people like me will take care of that. Also, you said that we need to be here with our families. You are right on that one but when I decided to join nobody told me that I was going to spend my 20+ years career in the States. We know what we were signing for because people like you do not want to serve your country. It just makes me sick when people start taking shots at the military when there are other stuff they need to be worried about.

Hilfiger1975
10-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Maybe because they put their life on the line for this country and all of us? I'd pay a portion of their healthcare as a thank you personally.....They are probably the only people that one could claim deserve the right to healthcare. If you want free healthcare, join the service. Could be a plan.
I like your thinking...

Hilfiger1975
10-12-2011, 03:10 PM
@the onedrew - i am in the service and i am happy to have some extra benefits for doing the job that a lot of americans either do not want to do it or are too scared to do it. I really don;t care since i do this because i want to and i like it.. If you look at our pay table we do not make a lot of money. So even thought i get free health care i still have to manage. I can't spend a lot of money on cards, cars, hobbies. Family and bills comes first. You need to be grateful that you can sit and relax in your house without the worry of going to war because people like me will take care of that. Also, you said that we need to be here with our families. You are right on that one but when i decided to join nobody told me that i was going to spend my 20+ years career in the states. We know what we were signing for because people like you do not want to serve your country. It just makes me sick when people start taking shots at the military when there are other stuff they need to be worried about.
amen!

AUTaxMan
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
@The OneDrew - I am in the service and I am happy to have some extra benefits for doing the job that a lot of Americans either do not want to do it or are too scared to do it. I really don;t care since I do this because I want to and I like it.. If you look at our pay table we do not make a lot of money. So even thought I get free health care I still have to manage. I can't spend a lot of money on cards, cars, hobbies. Family and bills comes first. You need to be grateful that you can sit and relax in your house without the worry of going to war because people like me will take care of that. Also, you said that we need to be here with our families. You are right on that one but when I decided to join nobody told me that I was going to spend my 20+ years career in the States. We know what we were signing for because people like you do not want to serve your country. It just makes me sick when people start taking shots at the military when there are other stuff they need to be worried about.

Thank you for your service. Sorry that you have to put up with unappreciative libs like theonedru.

Hilfiger1975
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Thank you for your service.
I agree, thank you for your service Angel...

theonedru
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM

when was the last time a US actually went to war to defend America? Let me tell you WWII. The soldiers fighting overseas are not doing it for our protection so do not feed me that fodder. There are many great normal everyday people here in America that give alot of themselves to hep make this a better place and what they do is as if not more important then whats expected of someone in the military. If you want to pay their biased health care then you can pay my portion to them as well And i will donate my portion to people in need.

theonedru
10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you for your service. Sorry that you have to put up with unappreciative libs like theonedru.

Where did I say I was unappreciative, please point that out, if not quit it with the shallow insults. Read the rules before posting here.

theonedru
10-12-2011, 03:31 PM
The main point here is the fact they get huge discounts where as people who are just as deserving are punished with huge premiums and that is not proper

AUTaxMan
10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Where did I say I was unappreciative, please point that out, if not quit it with the shallow insults. Read the rules before posting here.

"They provide nothing for me doing what they do overseas."

AUTaxMan
10-12-2011, 03:34 PM
The main point here is the fact they get huge discounts where as people who are just as deserving are punished with huge premiums and that is not proper

Who is just as deserving? What have they done to deserve it? I will admit that I am not.

theonedru
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
"They provide nothing for me doing what they do overseas."

they re not protecting the American peoples interested overseas in the middle east or Afghanistan. Thats been proven way too many times, if you believe otherwise then you are able to tell me how they are doing it. Please would love to hear it how them being over there is helping poor little old someone in say middle America?

theonedru
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Who is just as deserving? What have they done to deserve it? I will admit that I am not.

Thre are many normal everyday Americans who give much of themselves to better their community and country through various means an their actions directly improve things. You cannot argue that people like that are not deserving of the same respect.

Williy@anker
10-12-2011, 09:39 PM
they re not protecting the American peoples interested overseas in the middle east or Afghanistan. Thats been proven way too many times, if you believe otherwise then you are able to tell me how they are doing it. Please would love to hear it how them being over there is helping poor little old someone in say middle America?

"they" also did not ask to go over there "they" were made to go over there by the powers that be. I really don't think "they" would be over there if "they" were not made to be there.
Now I have no problem with sevice members paying a little extra for coverage as every american keeps shelling out more and more each year for coverage.

sanfran22
10-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Me either....I don't like military haters I must say. It's people like that who were spiting on our soliders and calling them baby killers.......

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Most gov't employees weather it be military, members of congress, people who work for the dept of education etc get sweet health care benefits. It is a perk of working for the gov't. I'm not going say that they should/shouldn't get discounted health care but I do think that the playing field should be leveled out so that the commonon man should not have to choose between feeding his family or taking his sick child to the doctor because he has no insurance.

angel0430
10-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Firefighters, law enforcement officers....they also get discounts and some of them get cheaper health care and money for clothes, etc.

I get your point but base pay for military is not as high as civilian employees. With those benefits the goverment is trying to compensate in that part. There are embassies that we have to protect, there are allies that we help protect, there are american people working overseas, american companies with assets over there. There are so many american interests overseas and someone needs to protect them from the bad people.

AUTaxMan
10-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Most gov't employees weather it be military, members of congress, people who work for the dept of education etc get sweet health care benefits. It is a perk of working for the gov't. I'm not going say that they should/shouldn't get discounted health care but I do think that the playing field should be leveled out so that the commonon man should not have to choose between feeding his family or taking his sick child to the doctor because he has no insurance.

There is a big difference between some bureaucrat who sits on her ™™™ all day and couldn't get a job in the private sector and a person who is dodging bullets in Tikrit on a daily basis. The latter guy deserves free healthcare IMO. The former shouldn't get any discount at all.

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
There is a big difference between some bureaucrat who sits on her all day and couldn't get a job in the private sector and a person who is dodging bullets in Tikrit on a daily basis. The latter guy deserves free healthcare IMO. The former shouldn't get any discount at all.

I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes being a soldier fighting in a war is more difficult than sitting in an office until 4pm and going home everyday to your family but both of those are their chosen professions and you understood the risk/rewards before you signed up. We all live in the united states and pay taxes in one form or another. Why should any person, their spouse or child have to get sick and possibly die because their job is not deemed important enough for them to get affordable health care?

sanfran22
10-13-2011, 09:50 AM
I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes being a soldier fighting in a war is more difficult than sitting in an office until 4pm and going home everyday to your family but both of those are their chosen professions and you understood the risk/rewards before you signed up. We all live in the united states and pay taxes in one form or another. Why should any person, their spouse or child have to get sick and possibly die because their job is not deemed important enough for them to get affordable health care?

What did we do 50 years ago for healthcare? Soldiers deserve to be taken care of, period. It's the least we can do.

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 09:55 AM
What did we do 50 years ago for healthcare? Soldiers deserve to be taken care of, period. It's the least we can do.

Once again sanfran22 please stop living in the past and join the rest of us in the 21st century. We have evolved as a society.

sanfran22
10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Once again sanfran22 please stop living in the past and join the rest of us in the 21st century. We have evolved as a society.
Actually we've gotten stupider as a society. Thanks libs for the contributions......:party0053:

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Actually we've gotten stupider as a society. Thank you libs for contributing......:party0053:

Last time I checked nixon, ford, regan, bush 1, and bush 2 were not liberals. If you want to blame anyone blame the voters for putting all of these idiots in office as well as the bushes for the iraq wars and putting all of the soldiers in harms way.

sanfran22
10-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Last time I checked nixon, ford, regan, bush 1, and bush 2 were not liberals. If you want to blame anyone blame the voters for putting all of these idiots in office as well as the bushes for the iraq wars and putting all of the soldiers in harms way.

lol, but Carter, Clinton and Obama were. They have done more damage then the rest combined since FDR.

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
lol, but Carter, Clinton and Obama were. They have done more damage then the rest combined since FDR.

And how many wars did each of them combined start compared to how many wars did presidents named bush start?

sanfran22
10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
And how many wars did each of them combined start compared to how many wars did presidents named bush start?

What does that have to do with healthcare?

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
What does that have to do with healthcare?

The same thing that you playing republican favorites have to do with it. :winking0071:

sanfran22
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
The same thing that you playing republican favorites have to do with it. :winking0071:

Actually it's conservatism and it's the right way to go (no pun intended). Someday hopefully you have your eyes opened to what you are truly following.

mrveggieman
10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Actually it's conservatism and it's the right way to go (no pun intended). Someday hopefully you have your eyes opened to what you are truly following.

According to whom? Who gave you the authority to speak of what is right and wrong to believe in?

angel0430
10-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I love this place.

mrveggieman
10-14-2011, 08:00 AM
I love this place.

+1 :cheer2: