PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment rate remains at 9.1 percent

pwaldo
10-11-2011, 08:12 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/65408.html

The unemployment rate remained unchanged at a relatively high 9.1 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

While the biggest factor in the uptick was the return to work of 45,000 striking Verizon employees, the report easily topped analyst expectations that employer payrolls would grow by 56,000 jobs in September.

After a sluggish summer raised concerns about a double-dip recession, the report quelled concerns about the economy tumbling back into a downturn, as investment analysts said instead that a weak recovery should continue.

bud7562
10-15-2011, 09:34 PM
it will go higher then 9.1 percent by spring time

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 09:37 PM
This stat should actually be higher, but people's unemployment ran out...i would imagine it's closer to 11%...

P.S. Can that analysts be a little more vague about a "weak recovery"...

duane1969
10-16-2011, 08:32 PM
As ARRA funds dry up over the next 3-6 months there are going to be more and more unemployed.

Hilfiger, I heard a guy on the radio the other day who had pretty solid data that actual unemployment is hovering around 20%. Between the unemployed who have used up their benefits and are now off of the program and those who had not worked the previous year and had not paid into the sysytem and thus could get unemployment benefits, he estimated another 10-15% of the population that could be unemployed but there is no way to track it.

Hilfiger1975
10-16-2011, 08:59 PM
As ARRA funds dry up over the next 3-6 months there are going to be more and more unemployed.

Hilfiger, I heard a guy on the radio the other day who had pretty solid data that actual unemployment is hovering around 20%. Between the unemployed who have used up their benefits and are now off of the program and those who had not worked the previous year and had not paid into the sysytem and thus could get unemployment benefits, he estimated another 10-15% of the population that could be unemployed but there is no way to track it.
Ya, it probably is closer to 20%. That's why i take what figures the government pull out the air with a grain of salt...

jdawg
10-16-2011, 09:08 PM
This stat should actually be higher, but people's unemployment ran out...i would imagine it's closer to 11%...

P.S. Can that analysts be a little more vague about a "weak recovery"...

i guess if they pass an unemployment extention we will know a more accurate number..i know a guy i just hired was complaining how he still had close to 15000 dollars in his unemployment from past working over the last x amount of years and he was on it for 2 years and they just booted him so he had to get a job lol..really chaps his rear he made more sitting at home then i currently pay him lol

duane1969
10-16-2011, 09:20 PM
i guess if they pass an unemployment extention we will know a more accurate number..i know a guy i just hired was complaining how he still had close to 15000 dollars in his unemployment from past working over the last x amount of years and he was on it for 2 years and they just booted him so he had to get a job lol..really chaps his rear he made more sitting at home then i currently pay him lol

When I was in management I had people who were on unemployment or welfare just not show up. I guess they had no idea that I could report it and they would lose their benefits. They usually were not too happy when they found out that I could.

Star_Cards
10-17-2011, 05:59 PM
meanwhile companies sit on record amounts of cash... afraid to spend it on employees.

jdawg
10-18-2011, 12:48 AM
meanwhile companies sit on record amounts of cash... afraid to spend it on employees.

or saving it for these outragous tax hikes people are trying to push on them...what the president dont seem to understand...you cant raise taxes and expect the company to hire...cut all taxes..seriously how many companies actually pay in anyways..look at GE..i think they had close to a 3.2 billion in tax benefits lol...our govt is to big..its not the people making decisions any more its few selected people...lol i bet if some yahoo ran for president and promised to make decisions with the peoples opinions via votes..he or she would win

pghin08
10-18-2011, 01:45 AM
When I was in management I had people who were on unemployment or welfare just not show up. I guess they had no idea that I could report it and they would lose their benefits. They usually were not too happy when they found out that I could.

Some people are jokes.

sanfran22
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
or saving it for these outragous tax hikes people are trying to push on them...what the president dont seem to understand...you cant raise taxes and expect the company to hire...cut all taxes..seriously how many companies actually pay in anyways..look at GE..i think they had close to a 3.2 billion in tax benefits lol...our govt is to big..its not the people making decisions any more its few selected people...lol i bet if some yahoo ran for president and promised to make decisions with the peoples opinions via votes..he or she would win
Sadly, we are there....:winking0071:

*censored*
10-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Unemployment numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. To count as unemployed, you must have no job at all (the under-employed don't count). You must have attempted to apply for a job in a certain time frame (in the past two weeks, I believe). There are several other limitations as well. So the unemployment numbers you hear are always going to be low as they won't count those who are working part time but really need a full-time job, nor do they count those who haven't tried applying for a job. So if you hear 5%, assume it's double that. If it's said to be 9%, assume about 15%. If it's quoted at 15%, assume at least 20%.

ensbergcollector
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Unemployment numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. To count as unemployed, you must have no job at all (the under-employed don't count). You must have attempted to apply for a job in a certain time frame (in the past two weeks, I believe). There are several other limitations as well. So the unemployment numbers you hear are always going to be low as they won't count those who are working part time but really need a full-time job, nor do they count those who haven't tried applying for a job. So if you hear 5%, assume it's double that. If it's said to be 9%, assume about 15%. If it's quoted at 15%, assume at least 20%.

agree with what you are saying. although, if someone hasn't applied for a job in the last couple of weeks i don't know that they should count. i know numerous people who are out of work and they are out looking for a job daily.