PDA

View Full Version : Obama sending troops to central Africa

pwaldo
10-14-2011, 04:49 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-sending-troops-aid-africa-anti-insurgency-183816681.html

President Barack Obama said Friday he's dispatching roughly 100 U.S. troops to central Africa to help battle the Lord's Resistance Army, which the administration accuses of a campaign of murder, rape and kidnapping children that spans two decades.

In a letter to Congress, Obama said the troops will act as advisers in efforts to hunt down rebel leader Joseph Kony but will not engage in combat except in self-defense.

Pentagon officials said the bulk of the U.S. contingent will be special operations troops, who will provide security and combat training to African units.

The White House said the first troops arrived in Uganda on Wednesday. Ultimately, they'll also deploy in South Sudan, the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Obama's announcement came in low-key fashion -- a letter to House Speaker John Boehner in which he said the deployment "furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa."

sanfran22
10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Iran could be next.....those war mongering republ......errrr nevermind ;)

INTIMADATOR2007
10-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Wait a minute , what happen to all the republicans are just war mongers and just want to kill innocent women and children . Ahhh they have been replaced by a democrat that just want to kill innocent women and children .

pghin08
10-15-2011, 01:04 PM
he sent 100 troops. not 100,000. 100. Mostly just to try to catch a guy. There's no bombing, this isn't war.

duane1969
10-15-2011, 03:21 PM
100 troops...translation, 90 Special Forces/Black Ops/SEAL Team members and 10 techs to gather intel and plan location of forward bases.

Am I the only one that has never heard of this group that they are going after?

freethrowtommy
10-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Wait a minute , what happen to all the republicans are just war mongers and just want to kill innocent women and children . Ahhh they have been replaced by a democrat that just want to kill innocent women and children .

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suite, is it?

Obama said the troops will act as advisers in efforts to hunt down rebel leader Joseph Kony but will not engage in combat except in self-defense.

OnePimpTiger
10-15-2011, 10:50 PM
While the size of the U.S. footprint is small, Obama's announcement represents a highly unusual intervention for the United States. Although some American troops are based in Djibouti and small groups of soldiers have been deployed to Somalia, the U.S. traditionally has been reluctant to commit forces to help African nations put down insurgencies...

Obama declared his decision to send troops as in keeping with the national security interests of the United States.

Taking military action that is highly unusual to intervene in another sovereign nation's affairs claiming it is for national security interests when it obviously has nothing to do with our national security...can you imagine what would have been said if Bush had done this? But The One can do no wrong...it must be ok!

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 10:52 PM
reading comprehension isn't your strong suite, is it?
+1

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Taking military action that is highly unusual to intervene in another sovereign nation's affairs claiming it is for national security interests when it obviously has nothing to do with our national security...can you imagine what would have been said if Bush had done this? But The One can do no wrong...it must be ok!
Ya, i don't think Bush ever did that!

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 10:56 PM
/sarcasm

ensbergcollector
10-15-2011, 11:10 PM

before you take an attitude and insult someone, you do understand military double speak right? we are sending in 100 special forces guys. if you really think they aren't going there to fire their weapons at someone...

theonedru
10-15-2011, 11:38 PM
God people lay off the insults, the poking, the prodding and stay on topic, this is getting unacceptable how fast threads fall apart This isn't about Bush, Iraq, the middle East, its about whats written in the article. I suggest we all read the rules regarding this forum and adhere to them 100%.

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 11:39 PM
before you take an attitude and insult someone, you do understand military double speak right? we are sending in 100 special forces guys. if you really think they aren't going there to fire their weapons at someone...
Only in self-defense... -pinky swear- :winking0071:

OnePimpTiger
10-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Ya, i don't think Bush ever did that!

And what did you say about it when he did?

OnePimpTiger
10-15-2011, 11:43 PM
God people lay off the insults, the poking, the prodding and stay on topic, this is getting unacceptable how fast threads fall apart This isn't about Bush, Iraq, the middle East, its about whats written in the article. I suggest we all read the rules regarding this forum and adhere to them 100%.

The article isn't about that, but there is a direct comparison between the two scenarios. Not making that point would be ridiculous.

It seems like it's ok to say "Bush did it too" when it's justifying Obama's actions, but not when it's condemning them.

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 11:44 PM
And what did you say about it when he did?
I said, "turn the channel the news sucks."

Trufax...:winking0071:

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
The article isn't about that, but there is a direct comparison between the two scenarios. Not making that point would be ridiculous.

It seems like it's ok to say "Bush did it too" when it's justifying Obama's actions, but not when it's condemning them.
Isn't that how politics/republicans/democrats do things? From my reading the P and R forum that's what i see 85% of the people doing??

OnePimpTiger
10-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Isn't that how politics/republicans/democrats do things? From my reading the P and R forum that's what i see 85% of the people doing??

Or they simply insult and make jokes instead of actually addressing the issues...

Hilfiger1975
10-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Or they simply insult and make jokes instead of actually addressing the issues...
Lemme know how that works out for you...

duane1969
10-16-2011, 09:05 AM

While your reading seems fine your comprehension seems off as well. Nobody in their right mind believes that those 100 troops are going to just give advice and stand around with their hands in their pockets.

duane1969
10-16-2011, 09:06 AM

While your reading seems fine your comprehension seems off as well. Nobody in their right mind believes that those 100 troops are going to just give advice and stand around with their hands in their pockets.

freethrowtommy
10-16-2011, 11:36 AM

How does your "belief" that quote being incorrect have anything to do with my reading comprehension? I read it correctly. You can believe whatever you want, it has nothing to do with reading the article.

Man, some of you look for hate in everything you see. Look at it objectively for once.

duane1969
10-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Look at what objectively? You need to look at things with some reality.

Your clearly believe that the troops being sent are just going to hang out and be good buddies with the people over there and not be involved in anything, not collect intel or get involved in combat. That is niave.

INTIMADATOR2007
10-16-2011, 11:15 PM
When they say they are sending ARMED COMBAT SOLDIERS what does that make you think of protecting daycare centers? Didn't they say the same thing about Syria also , just a couple weeks about 3 months ago .

habsheaven
10-17-2011, 09:08 AM

Perhaps this is why he was questioning your reading comprehension skills. Where in the article did you see this? Where is this even implied?

Sure, no one expects 90-100 Special Ops to act "defensively" only, but to suggest they are going to harm "innocents" is ridiculous.

duane1969
10-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Perhaps this is why he was questioning your reading comprehension skills. Where in the article did you see this? Where is this even implied?

Sure, no one expects 90-100 Special Ops to act "defensively" only, but to suggest they are going to harm "innocents" is ridiculous.

I think he was being facetious.

habsheaven
10-17-2011, 01:02 PM

I think/hope you are right.

angel0430
10-17-2011, 01:12 PM
what is the big deal about this? There is already a base in Africa that has thousands of troops including special forces from all branches. 100 more is not going to make a difference. maybe this 100 memebers are really going to advice and not fight. They can use the other ones already over there to do the dirty work.

Hilfiger1975
10-17-2011, 01:16 PM
I think that's a popular thing to do in the Politics and Religion forums...:rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
what is the big deal about this? There is already a base in Africa that has thousands of troops including special forces from all branches. 100 more is not going to make a difference. maybe this 100 memebers are really going to advice and not fight. They can use the other ones already over there to do the dirty work.
Good info to know...i guess people was just jumping to conclusions and being paranoid...

mrveggieman
10-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Good info to know...i guess people was just jumping to conclusions and being paranoid...

Like most of them always do.

Hilfiger1975
10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
like most of them always do.
bingo!

duane1969
10-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Where would this base be located at? I am unaware of any US military base in Africa.

Hilfiger1975
10-17-2011, 02:55 PM
This is not directed at one individual, because i've been seeing it a lot. How hard is it to actually look something up on the internet before asking people to prove stuff, etc.? It truly amazes me that people can use this site and use ebay and post about politics and religion, but have no idea how to use the internet to find information...

duane1969
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
This is not directed at one individual, because i've been seeing it a lot. How hard is it to actually look something up on the internet before asking people to prove stuff, etc.? It truly amazes me that people can use this site and use ebay and post about politics and religion, but have no idea how to use the internet to find information...

If you are talking about me, I looked for info on an American base in Africa. I found none.

Hilfiger1975
10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
If you are talking about me, I looked for info on an American base in Africa. I found none.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Lemonnier

Like i said before that wasn't just directed at you...:winking0071:

Star_Cards
10-17-2011, 03:12 PM
so people are suggesting that sending 100 troops over to help out a nation catch a rebel leader and won't engage in combat is the same thing as sending 100,000 troops and bombing iraq for 8 years?

as for the actual topic... I don't think I have issue with this given the reasons are true and the defined involvement is actually how things are played out. I have no problem with the US helping out other countries that need and want our help in situations similar to this.

duane1969
10-17-2011, 03:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Lemonnier

Like i said before that wasn't just directed at you...:winking0071:

Technically not a base, but OK. I stand corrected.

angel0430
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Where would this base be located at? I am unaware of any US military base in Africa.

Headquarters is in Germany, but they have other locatiosn that supports AFRICOM (US African Command). One of the bases is MacDill, Tampa, where USSOCOM is located. The actual base in Africa is in Djibouti. It is a joint base. I know because I am trying to get stationed there for a year.

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Technically not a base, but OK. I stand corrected.
Former French Military base? How is that not a base?

duane1969
10-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Former French Military base? How is that not a base?

Heck, I didn't even know we had a base of operations in that area so I don't know for sure. I just read that is was primarily a base for distributing aid and had just recently been taken over by the American military. I just drew from that that it wasn't a full base.

angel0430
10-21-2011, 08:41 AM
Heck, I didn't even know we had a base of operations in that area so I don't know for sure. I just read that is was primarily a base for distributing aid and had just recently been taken over by the American military. I just drew from that that it wasn't a full base.

It is a full base now and there is a lot of terrorist organizations in Africa. They are more focused on aiding the nation but they also have Special Ops groups over there to train the African Military but to also take action incase something happens.