PDA

View Full Version : Senate Version of Buy One Get One

duane1969
10-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Buy a $500,000 house, get a Visa for free.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/20/senators-draft-bill-to-give-visas-to-foreigners-buying-pricey-homes/

Gotta love the way this one is going to work out. We lure them here with the promise of a Visa then since they are "the evil wealthy" we tax the crap out of them and the liberals protest them being wealthy and argue that we should take their wealth from them.

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Am i understanding this right? Is this a form of "buying" citizenship? Has America stooped to that level?

pghin08
10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
that gave me a headache.

duane1969
10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Am i understanding this right? Is this a form of "buying" citizenship? Has America stooped to that level?

Technically a Visa is not citizenship but you are close. They can buy being a legal immigrant and then work on becoming a citizen.

INTIMADATOR2007
10-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Just another attempt at securing more voters for the democrats.

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
OMG, you are the cutest thing ever! DAMN THEM DEMOCRATS! ROFLCOPTER!

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Technically a Visa is not citizenship but you are close. They can buy being a legal immigrant and then work on becoming a citizen.
I'm speechless...didn't George Carlin say this country was bought and paid for years ago?

ensbergcollector
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
OMG, you are the cutest thing ever! DAMN THEM DEMOCRATS! ROFLCOPTER!

you are aware that the overwhelming majority of foreign immigrants vote democrat right?

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
you are aware that the overwhelming majority of foreign immigrants vote democrat right?
Even rich foreign immigrants that can afford to "buy" a 500,000 home? :rolleyes:

ensbergcollector
10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Even rich foreign immigrants that can afford to "buy" a 500,000 home? :rolleyes:

yeah, cause no rich people vote democrat! :winking0071:

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
yeah, cause no poor people vote republican! :winking0071:
C wut i did thar? :winking0071:

duane1969
10-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Anybody want to make a bet on how long it is before the government starts trying to come up with the funding to subsidize low-interest loans for these people?

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Anybody want to make a bet on how long it is before the government starts trying to come up with the funding to subsidize low-interest loans for these people?
God bless the government...:rolleyes:

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 01:38 PM

And you know this because......???

Hilfiger1975
10-21-2011, 01:43 PM
It's his lie let him tell it however he chooses...:winking0071:

duane1969
10-22-2011, 05:16 PM

It's his lie let him tell it however he chooses...:winking0071:

He probably knows it because of all of the data that was being collected at polls over the last 30 or 40 years.

American latinos voted 62% for Clinton in 1992 and 72% in 1996. Sourced from New York Times but I lost the link.

67% for Obama in 2008.
http://www.thenation.com/article/obamas-latino-vote-mandate

When Bush won the 2000 election he only received 35% of the latino vote which was on par with what Reagan had gotten.
http://www.usatoday.com/educate/casestudies/HispanicVote.pdf

There is four decades of data that shows latinos voting Democrat 2-to-1.

sanfran22
10-23-2011, 03:28 AM
He probably knows it because of all of the data that was being collected at polls over the last 30 or 40 years.

American latinos voted 62% for Clinton in 1992 and 72% in 1996. Sourced from New York Times but I lost the link.

67% for Obama in 2008.

When Bush won the 2000 election he only received 35% of the latino vote which was on par with what Reagan had gotten.

Lets not confuse the issue with facts....:winking0071:.

duane1969
10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Lets not confuse the issue with facts....:winking0071:.

For some people the facts are irrelevant anyway :rolleyes:

mrveggieman
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM

67% for Obama in 2008.

Last time I checked there are other immigrants in this country besides latinos.

Hilfiger1975
10-24-2011, 10:20 AM
last time i checked there are other immigrants in this country besides latinos.
+1

sanfran22
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
This isn't rocket science......
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/SANFRAN25/republican-demise-t11.jpg

duane1969
10-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Last time I checked there are other immigrants in this country besides latinos.

Yes and latinos make up a very small fraction of the immigrants in our country, right??

Thanks for making no point.

Star_Cards
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM

I guess you missed the part where it said it was a bipartisan bill and is being introduced by Sens. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Mike Lee, R-Utah.

I don't have an issue with you thinking it's about securing voters (crosses my mind as well) but I'd recommend gathering info about the senators who are introducing it before you write your standard "them dang democrats" reply.

Hilfiger1975
10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I guess you missed the part where it said it was a bipartisan bill and is being introduced by Sens. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Mike Lee, R-Utah.

I don't have an issue with you thinking it's about securing voters (crosses my mind as well) but I'd recommend gathering info about the senators who are introducing it before you write your standard "them dang democrats" reply.
Gotta blame it on something...:winking0071:

*goes in drive-thru orders a coke and the ladies gives him a sprite*

"I bet you she's a damn democrat and did it on purpose to brainwash me into voting for democrats!"

Star_Cards
10-24-2011, 04:53 PM

67% for Obama in 2008.

Why are you jumping to the conclusion that only latinos would be buying $500,000 homes? I'm sure there are a lot of wealthy people of other countries that would love to come to this country legally and purchase an expensive home for whatever reason. At least they would be here legally and if they can afford a $500,000 home I'd bet they can contribute to the economy in a positive way. If that is the case I can see getting behind this bill. Maybe it's a small way to help boost the housing market and our economy. I don't know the details, but at least I'm open minded about seeing a potential for positive.

Hilfiger1975
10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Why are you jumping to the conclusion that only latinos would be buying $500,000 homes? I'm sure there are a lot of wealthy people of other countries that would love to come to this country legally and purchase an expensive home for whatever reason. At least they would be here legally and if they can afford a $500,000 home I'd bet they can contribute to the economy in a positive way. If that is the case I can see getting behind this bill. Maybe it's a small way to help boost the housing market and our economy. I don't know the details, but at least I'm open minded about seeing a potential for positive.
Ya, i'm sure that people coming to this country to buy 500,000 homes/visa's are going to be voting for democrats, anyways...:rolleyes:

Star_Cards
10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Gotta blame it on something...:winking0071:

*goes in drive-thru orders a coke and the ladies gives him a sprite*

"I bet you she's a damn democrat and did it on purpose to brainwash me into voting for democrats!"

I'm all for blaming anyone who should be blamed regardless of what party they are and what party I voted for, but when someone always has to get a Dem shot in it makes me shut down from a discussion with that person.

Star_Cards
10-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Ya, i'm sure that people coming to this country to buy 500,000 homes/visa's are going to be voting for democrats, anyways...:rolleyes:

stereotypically it's could be said that wealthier people tend to align more republican. Of course that's not across the board.

Hilfiger1975
10-24-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm all for blaming anyone who should be blamed regardless of what party they are and what party I voted for, but when someone always has to get a Dem shot in it makes me shut down from a discussion with that person.
Ya, i agree...from my experience of reading the P & R forums that's how "political" people think...at least on these boards...that's ANOTHER reason i don't vote...

It's the famous "Democrats pointing the finger at the Republicans and the Republicans pointing the finger at the Democrats and getting nothing done scenario." And it's showing in Washington how effective it truly is...seriously...:rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
stereotypically it's could be said that wealthier people tend to align more republican. Of course that's not across the board.
From my understanding "politics" think highly on stereotyping...:rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
It took WAY longer and WAY more people than Obama to turn this country into the "beautiful" thing that it represents today...this country was in a face deep recession before Obama was even thought of...

duane1969
10-26-2011, 09:42 PM

Because most wealthy Europeans or Asians who have $1/2 million to spend on a house will buy just about anywhere besides the U.S. and have little to no desire to be a U.S. citizen.

Don't get me wrong. If we are going to open the doors to immigrants then I am all for it being the wealthy, educated, fiscally successful ones. That would be a nice change.

Hairylemon
10-28-2011, 02:29 AM
If you have a visa to live in the USA you can vote in an election? Or do you need to be a citizen? If it's being a citizen surely this takes a few years. To be honest to most of us overseas folks there aint a hell of a lot of difference between your two parties anyway.

What sort of home does $500k buy you in the States? I bet you get more for your $ than we do in Europe.

duane1969
10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
If you have a visa to live in the USA you can vote in an election? Or do you need to be a citizen? If it's being a citizen surely this takes a few years. To be honest to most of us overseas folks there aint a hell of a lot of difference between your two parties anyway.

What sort of home does $500k buy you in the States? I bet you get more for your $ than we do in Europe.

Getting your Visa is a big step towards becoming a full fledged citizen. Usually just getting it can be a long drawn-out process that can take months or years.

$500k over here goes for more or less depending on where you buy, just like Europe. Buy in the city, you get a lot less. Buy in the countryside, you get a borderline mansion.

I know in my area you can get a 3000 square foot 5 bedroom 3 bath with a 2 car garage and an acre of land for around $200-$225k. So you can imagine what $500k gets you.

Hairylemon
10-31-2011, 04:28 AM
So it takes quite a while to get full citizenship? And why do so many of you think that the buyers would vote democrat? I thought the GOP was the party for the wealthy.

duane1969
10-31-2011, 12:35 PM
So it takes quite a while to get full citizenship? And why do so many of you think that the buyers would vote democrat? I thought the GOP was the party for the wealthy.

Don't quote me because I am not fully educated on the subject, but I believe that once one has a Visa and is a resident in the country I think the final citizenship process takes another year or two.

The GOP is generally the party of old money. Much of the money in the GOP is inherited from parents and grandparents who made their riches in oil, commodities or some major enterprise.

The money in the Democratic party tends to be newer money made within the last decade or two. For example, many of the Silicon Valley wealthy are Dems.

It is a common misconception that the wealthiest Americans are Republicans. According to a story by Forbes magazine 12 of the 20 richest people in America are Dems (including the top 4). http://newamericangazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Campaign-Contributions-of-20-richest-people.pdf