PDA

View Full Version : Louisianna makes cash transactions on used goods against the law

INTIMADATOR2007
10-20-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111019/17424316421/louisiana-makes-it-illegal-to-use-cash-secondhand-sales.shtml

Is this Legal ? It should be repealed fast . If you own a second hand store it is illeagle to pay with cash . Yard sales are to be paid with check , Money order,cashier check or credit card.

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111019/17424316421/louisiana-makes-it-illegal-to-use-cash-secondhand-sales.shtml

Is this Legal ? It should be repealed fast . If you own a second hand store it is illeagle to pay with cash .
Damn Democrats! :winking0071:

pghin08
10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I have no earthly idea how that's legal.

theonedru
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Crazy, insane. Totally stupid... Typical ignorant government ploy.

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 07:12 PM
crazy, insane. Totally stupid... Typical ignorant government ploy.
+1

andrewhoya
10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
:twitch:

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 12:36 PM
This law would fall apart if it were to be challenged in court. I would just ignore it. There is no way to enforce it.

Star_Cards
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
this is absolutely ridiculous. I get that they want a paper trail for sales, but how can a state tell someone that cash isn't a form of acceptable payment. makes no sense.

AUTaxMan
10-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Is this Legal ? It should be repealed fast . If you own a second hand store it is illeagle to pay with cash . Yard sales are to be paid with check , Money order,cashier check or credit card.

Pretty sure it's unconstitutional.

Hilfiger1975
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Pretty sure it's unconstitutional.
When did the government start following the constitution? :winking0071:

*censored*
10-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Technically, our money is unconstitutional. 1.10.1 states "No State shall make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts". Then in the Legal Tender Cases of 1868, Congress was permitted to make paper money that was backed by gold.

Currently our money is backed by nothing. Where is the constitutionality of that?

marekschwarz33
10-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Technically, our money is unconstitutional. 1.10.1 states "No State shall make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts". Then in the Legal Tender Cases of 1868, Congress was permitted to make paper money that was backed by gold.

Currently our money is backed by nothing. Where is the constitutionality of that?

Strange isn't it?
Now, Congress doesn't even create money. It's done by a private bank, the Federal Reserve!

mrveggieman
10-25-2011, 08:52 AM
We need to go back to the gold standard. Otherwise the day may come where our money wont be worth the paper that it is printed on.

duane1969
10-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Kind of funny if you ask me. The govt. makes money which we are required to use for monetary transactions and then they outlaw using it except when they approve it.

For those who may not have gotten the point of this, this is a backdoor gun law. Used guns are bought and sold all over the country in cash transactions with no paper trail other than a bill of sale that usually makes it no higher than a local or state level records keeper. The Fed govt. gets no info on these transactions. This law is an attempt to document where the guns that are being sold at gun shows and pawn shops are going.

Hilfiger1975
10-25-2011, 09:53 AM
This all boils down to the Governement wanting their "share" and more...

mrveggieman
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Kind of funny if you ask me. The govt. makes money which we are required to use for monetary transactions and then they outlaw using it except when they approve it.

For those who may not have gotten the point of this, this is a backdoor gun law. Used guns are bought and sold all over the country in cash transactions with no paper trail other than a bill of sale that usually makes it no higher than a local or state level records keeper. The Fed govt. gets no info on these transactions. This law is an attempt to document where the guns that are being sold at gun shows and pawn shops are going.

If it were just for guns I would be ok with it. Just like cars have registrations I have no problems with guns being registred in the same manner. However this is bigger than guns or cars. This is just another way that the gov't can keep tabs on our every move. That is why they will never abolish the federal/state income tax. Why would they give up that much access to our financial records even if it would save millions if not billions of dollars? SMH.

Star_Cards
10-25-2011, 01:18 PM

I see it as a law to help them make people be honest about paying taxes. Lots of goods are sold in the secondary market that don't have the proper taxes paid on them.

mrveggieman
10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
I see it as a law to help them make people be honest about paying taxes. Lots of goods are sold in the secondary market that don't have the proper taxes paid on them.

The taxes were already paid the first time the item was bought/sold. Taxing used items is double taxing.

Star_Cards
10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
just because an item is used or in the secondary market doesn't mean it's no longer taxed. If you buy an item that isn't brand new at an antique mall or something you still pay sales tax on it... or at least the seller is supposed to collect sales tax. When you go to a card show, dealers don't typically collect and report sales tax, but legally they should be.

I actually wasn't speaking about sales tax. I was talking about income tax. If I buy an item and resell it as a vendor I have to pay income tax on that profit I make. If you collect cash you can basically hide that from the government much easier than if you take paypal or check or credit card.

mrveggieman
10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
just because an item is used or in the secondary market doesn't mean it's no longer taxed. If you buy an item that isn't brand new at an antique mall or something you still pay sales tax on it... or at least the seller is supposed to collect sales tax. When you go to a card show, dealers don't typically collect and report sales tax, but legally they should be.

I actually wasn't speaking about sales tax. I was talking about income tax. If I buy an item and resell it as a vendor I have to pay income tax on that profit I make. If you collect cash you can basically hide that from the government much easier than if you take paypal or check or credit card.

Yeah I know that double taxing is technically legal but that dosen't mean that it is right. Under the fair tax plan there would be no tax under used items. Again it goes back to the gov't wanting to know your every move at every moment. SMH.

CamaroDMD
10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Technically, our money is unconstitutional. 1.10.1 states "No State shall make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts".
It does say that...it says that "no state shall..." it does not say anything about the federal government. So, technically our money is not unconstitutional because it is not issued by a state.

theonedru
10-25-2011, 02:16 PM
We need to go back to the gold standard. Otherwise the day may come where our money wont be worth the paper that it is printed on.

That day came and went a long time ago.

CamaroDMD
10-25-2011, 02:55 PM
We tried that...and it didn't work. That's why we no longer use it. I agree that what we currently have isn't working well...but digging up failed systems of the past is not the way to move forward.

Star_Cards
10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah I know that double taxing is technically legal but that dosen't mean that it is right. Under the fair tax plan there would be no tax under used items. Again it goes back to the gov't wanting to know your every move at every moment. SMH.

that's one of the top reasons why I love the Fair Tax.

AUTaxMan
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
We tried that...and it didn't work. That's why we no longer use it. I agree that what we currently have isn't working well...but digging up failed systems of the past is not the way to move forward.

Why, exactly, didn't it work?

duane1969
10-26-2011, 12:08 PM
If it were just for guns I would be ok with it. Just like cars have registrations I have no problems with guns being registred in the same manner. However this is bigger than guns or cars. This is just another way that the gov't can keep tabs on our every move. That is why they will never abolish the federal/state income tax. Why would they give up that much access to our financial records even if it would save millions if not billions of dollars? SMH.

I understand what you are saying and do not entirely disagree. But if you think about the cash transactions that involve used goods, what are the big ticket items? When you go to a flea market what are the big dollar items?

I find it hard to believe that the govt. is worried about taxing that .25 cent baby blankey or that $2 Mason jar. If it is taxes they are after then guns are the big money item. More money will change hands in a weekend gun show than in 50 flea markets combined.

duane1969
10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Why, exactly, didn't it work?

Because Roosevelt ruined it.

Most people have no idea why the government has all of the gold.