PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of all student loans?

andrewhoya
10-20-2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/18/moveon-pushes-petition-calling-for-wiping-out-all-student-loan-debt/?intcmp=obinsite

Can they wait 6 more years until I am out of college? :rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/18/moveon-pushes-petition-calling-for-wiping-out-all-student-loan-debt/?intcmp=obinsite

can they wait 6 more years until i am out of college? :rolleyes:
+1

shortking98
10-20-2011, 09:01 PM
This is a pipe dream. You signed your name and agreed to take on that debt now it's your responsibility to honor your commitment. (You meaning the people wanting their loans forgiven not anybody in this thread)

jdawg
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
This is a pipe dream. You signed your name and agreed to take on that debt now it's your responsibility to honor your commitment. (You meaning the people wanting their loans forgiven not anybody in this thread)

paid yours all off already huh lol i have also but i still see the argument being made lol

marekschwarz33
10-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Agreed.
I'm a freshman in college and chose a cheap school so that I won't have to take out a large amount of loans. Why do people feel that they are entitled to everything? If you take out loans, you're responsible for paying them back.

pghin08
10-20-2011, 09:51 PM

I agree 110%. I went to school knowing full well the debt I was incurring. It's my duty to pay what I owe. Period.

sanfran22
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
These people are nuts...Some of the worst and most irresponsible people on the planet.

Star_Cards
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
millions of other people have and are paying off their student loans. I'm all for government assistance for certain things, but I don't think I'm a proponent of 100% free college. These companies are in business to make money, not give free educations. I think the fact that this is one of the major stances of this movement just shows that a lot of them have loans to pay and they just don;t want to pay them.

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 02:05 PM
What about income tax forgiveness? I never recaledl signing any paper saying that I agree to pay the gov't taxes.

duwal
10-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Agreed.
I'm a freshman in college and chose a cheap school so that I won't have to take out a large amount of loans. Why do people feel that they are entitled to everything? If you take out loans, you're responsible for paying them back.

agreed and I bet a lot of these same people that are for this are the ones crying out not to give government support or welfare to the poor. If you didn't want to pay there is plenty of community colleges around your area so transfer to some place you can actually afford or do what it takes to work hard and pay back your loan

pghin08
10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
agreed and I bet a lot of these same people that are for this are the ones crying out not to give government support or welfare to the poor. If you didn't want to pay there is plenty of community colleges around your area so transfer to some place you can actually afford or do what it takes to work hard and pay back your loan

Those are the key words. Too many of us want something for nothing, and that's just not how it works. It's not like these loans are forced upon us, or that we didn't know about them. If you sign on the dotted line, you've given your word. Do what you have to do to pay them back.

(Aside: I'm currently in the process of paying back $22000, I earned it, I'll pay it. No thanks protestors, I'll pay my debts back myself.)

duwal
10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Those are the key words. Too many of us want something for nothing, and that's just not how it works. It's not like these loans are forced upon us, or that we didn't know about them. If you sign on the dotted line, you've given your word. Do what you have to do to pay them back.

(Aside: I'm currently in the process of paying back $22000, I earned it, I'll pay it. No thanks protestors, I'll pay my debts back myself.)

whats sad is it is just going to get even worse. We all take a long look at how kids are growing up today and they are just handed things they really don't need...a cell phone when they're 11...the newest $50 video game because they're so jealous of their friend having it...

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
whats sad is it is just going to get even worse. We all take a long look at how kids are growing up today and they are just handed things they really don't need...a cell phone when they're 11...the newest $50 video game because they're so jealous of their friend having it...

These kids are too damn spoiled now a days. They all walk around with a sense of entitlement. When I was growing up I was lucky to get 1 video game for christmas and 1 for my birthday if I kept my grades up, stayed out of trouble and if my parents could afford it. And the game had to come from the bargin bin. Nowadays these kids act like they are doing you a favor asking you to buy stuff for them. SMH.

dherm360
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
If they wipe out the student loan debt, I would like my 75000 back in small bills, It took me 10 plus years to pay it back. Too many people in this country now want everything for free, across all classes. Its shameful. What happen to working towards goals and having a strong work ethic.

pghin08
10-21-2011, 02:56 PM

My kids will probably hate me, I'm going to be the "Go outside or read a book" parent.

On that matter, a few years back, I used to work in a sports memorabilia store during college (gotta pay those debts!), and there was a mother with her young child, probably about 8. He was acting up, and she was disciplining him. This was what she said, verbatim:

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to make you read when you get home!"

What kind of parenting is that? Making reading a punishment? What a joke. My girlfriend is a voracious reader, so much so that her mother used to have to tell her to hang out with her friends during the summer, because she would lock herself in her room and do nothing but read books. What an awful example to be setting for your child.

I've always thought that if you foster a child's love for learning (and in turn, probably foster your own, as we all learn new things about ourselves and the world around us every day), then you will have helped make them a considerate, thoughtful and well-rounded person. Who will then incur mountains of student debt, and work to pay it off rather than asking the government to do it for them :winking0071:

themanishere
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM

I did something like this. Went to a community college for my first 2 years of college, then transferred to a top school to finish. Saved my parents around $10,000-15,000 in tuition/fees/etc. Worked for a few years after my Bachelor's and saved up for most of my planned tuition in grad school.

But I think there's also an issue with an infatuation for the prestige of it all. People (i.e. parents) are willing to send their kids to an expensive school just to get a degree in Literature or some crappy major, simply for the sake of having a degree. You have people incurring debt to get into a major that will likely never pay off for them.

AUTaxMan
10-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Can they wait 6 more years until I am out of college? :rolleyes:

Terrible idea.

sanfran22
10-23-2011, 03:37 AM
If they wipe out the student loan debt, I would like my 75000 back in small bills, It took me 10 plus years to pay it back. Too many people in this country now want everything for free, across all classes. Its shameful. What happen to working towards goals and having a strong work ethic.
The "progressives" happened.

theonedru
10-23-2011, 02:20 PM
The only thing they need to do with student loans is make them forgivable if a person filed for bankruptcy. Other than that they need not change a thing

theonedru
10-23-2011, 02:21 PM
The only thing they need to do with student loans is make them forgivable if a person filed for bankruptcy. Other than that they need not change a thing

pghin08
10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
The "progressives" happened.

Aww, not cool man, I work hard! :winking0071:

sanfran22
10-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Aww, not cool man, I work hard! :winking0071:

Lol, sorry....:kiss:

tutall
10-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Why is that? I think the complete opposite... i think they need to limit the things that can be included in a BK... I think if that was possible you would actually start to see people go to more expensive schools withthe plans of filing BK once you get out of school... Call me crazy but I see things like this every day.

Zaccheus85
12-15-2011, 01:46 PM
paid yours all off already huh lol i have also but i still see the argument being made lol

I still have student loans. Sure, I would love for them to disappear, but I signed my name saying I would pay them off, meaning I had better do my best to pay them off.