PDA

View Full Version : President Obama announces total troop withdrawal

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry to break this to some of you on here that love war but President Obama is planning a total troop withdrawl from Iraq by the years end.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/obama-announces-total-iraq-1207106.html

duwal
10-21-2011, 02:16 PM
doing just like he said he wanted to but with something so extensive and important like this I'm sure there will be plenty of delays in getting majority of them out by the end of the year

pghin08
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I'll never be upset with 40K troops coming home.

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
I'll never be upset with 40K troops coming home.

I'm not mad at all about President Obama bring home all of our troops from a war that we had no business starting in the first place, but my concern is we already have massive unemployment know we will have 40,000 more people looking for work. Not to mention the mental scars that a lot of these troops will have from their tour in Iraq. This is just like Vietnam.

Star_Cards
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
great news. I hope this is the case.

worries about extra unemployment or mental scars isn't a reason not to withdraw the troops. I'm sure you don't think it is either. My next question is, when will he bring the troops in Afghanistan home?

mrveggieman
10-21-2011, 03:50 PM
great news. I hope this is the case.

worries about extra unemployment or mental scars isn't a reason not to withdraw the troops. I'm sure you don't think it is either. My next question is, when will he bring the troops in Afghanistan home?

You are right the troops should have been brought home from iraq on march 19, 2003. It's just a shame that they were sent over in a no win situation in the first place and now we have a generation of shell shocked soldiers that their gov't wont have a thing to do with.

Hilfiger1975
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
you are right they troops should have been brought home from iraq on march 19, 2003. It's just a shame that they were sent over in a no win situation in the first place and now we have a generation of shell shocked soldiers that their gov't wont have a thing to do with.
+1

marekschwarz33
10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Fantastic news, but it should have been done sooner...seems more like a campaign move at this point.

Star_Cards
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Fantastic news, but it should have been done sooner...seems more like a campaign move at this point.

I was hoping he would have done this sooner as well. You have the right to call it a campaign move but know one will ever really know. Either way if it happens I could care less what the motivation was. He's talked about bringing the troops home so I won't try to dismiss it as a campaign move. To be honest politicians are campaigning as soon as they get elected these days anyways. I sure hope troops haven't been left there to wait until it's closer to the election when they could have been brought home sooner. He did have a major drawdown a few years ago so this isn't the first time he's removed troops from Iraq. Hopefully there's follow through to this report.

AUTaxMan
10-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Pretty obvious that it is. Glad they're coming home.

Hilfiger1975
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
I think i've stated this before, but the government could give a rat's fuzzy bottom about our troops or our citizens. They have proven that time and time again. Be happy they're are coming home for ANY reason...

INTIMADATOR2007
10-22-2011, 12:18 AM
If they cant fight to win . Bring them home !
Then if you see a soldier in your travels throughtout your day , Take the time to stop and shake their hand and tell them thank you !

gatorboymike
10-22-2011, 02:17 AM
This should have happened 2 years ago.

Hilfiger1975
10-22-2011, 02:21 AM
if they cant fight to win . Bring them home !
then if you see a soldier in your travels throughtout your day , take the time to stop and shake their hand and tell them thank you !
+1

pudge27t
10-22-2011, 03:15 AM
Wish that would stop us from going on a 6 months deployment soon! lol

OBOMBA
10-22-2011, 04:34 AM
lets see here. sadaam plans to change his currency to the euro and sell his oil under it. a war happens and he is killed.

gaddafi plans on completely turning his region into a monetary powerhouse by selling under the gold dinar. a war starts and he is murdered. funny how history keeps repeating itself.

duane1969
10-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm not mad at all about President Obama bring home all of our troops from a war that we had no business starting in the first place, but my concern is we already have massive unemployment know we will have 40,000 more people looking for work. Not to mention the mental scars that a lot of these troops will have from their tour in Iraq. This is just like Vietnam.

Actually, the full time military guys will still be full time military. They will just be stationed on an American base or redeployed to Afghanistan. Only the reserve guys could be at risk of unemployment and the law says that they get back any job that they vacated to serve in active duty. So unless they were unemployed when they deployed to Iraq then they should still have jobs when they come home.

I agree to some extent. I also think that his very low approval numbers played a role too. Right now he is like a punch-drunk boxer with his back against the ropes, throwing roundhouses hoping to land something big.

This should have happened 2 years ago.

Agree 100%. This was a campaign promise from 2007-2008. It should not have taken this long. I think the amount of time that it took detracts from it's political value for him. He can always say he brought them home but there will always be an asterisk that points out how long it took compared to his campaign promise timetable.

If they cant fight to win . Bring them home !
Then if you see a soldier in your travels throughtout your day , Take the time to stop and shake their hand and tell them thank you !

I always do. It is suprising how many are caught off guard and say that nobody ever does that.