PDA

View Full Version : Hey, remember that "global warming hoax"?

pghin08
11-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Well, it seems as if Richard Muller pretty much kicked his study's funders (the Koch brothers, prominent Tea Partiers) straight in the groin. Wonder if the Tea Partiers will disown Muller because he changed his stance.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204422404576594872796327348.html

sanfran22
11-01-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't think it's disputed that the earths temperature changes up and down. The cause and if anything can be done to change it are. How can anyone who believes we had a zillion volcanoes in the past and then an Ice age even argue that we can do anything about it? The earth is a living thing that is constantly changing. It's gonna do what it's gonna do regardless of us.

Star_Cards
11-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I fall right in the middle. I believe that the planet has and does change without man's effects, but also believe that any planet with 7 billion people living on it has to have some sort of effect to the climate. It's just a shame that the topic is pretty much completely political these days.

pghin08
11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm not a scientist and I don't study these things in great detail. So I rely on hard data developed by people who know a whole lot more than I do on the subject. For someone who was as vehemently against the notion of global warming to do this kind of about-face is a pretty significant argument for man-made effects on the Earth.

duane1969
11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I believe global warming is a natural cycle. We had millions of years of ice and snow. Why is a few millions years of heat so unreasonable?

As for him flip-flopping, logic would dictate that the Tea Party would break ties with him. If a prominent Democrat who was pro-abortion suddenly became a spokesperson for the anti-abortion movement it would take the DemParty all of 3 seconds to kick him to the curb. No reason to think the Tea Party wouldn't do the same.

Star_Cards
11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I believe global warming is a natural cycle. We had millions of years of ice and snow. Why is a few millions years of heat so unreasonable?

As for him flip-flopping, logic would dictate that the Tea Party would break ties with him. If a prominent Democrat who was pro-abortion suddenly became a spokesperson for the anti-abortion movement it would take the DemParty all of 3 seconds to kick him to the curb. No reason to think the Tea Party wouldn't do the same.

it's pro-choice not pro abortion. there's a huge difference. :)

I do agree with the distancing though. Most groups will distance like that if someone changes opinions/stances.

theonedru
11-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Fact is that we poison something and something bad is going to happen, there are steps we can take to make this place better but as a society we are just too lazy or ignorant to care. This world would be so much better if we all did those little things we need to do, or just look into your childs eyes and tell them that you do not care about their future. Its that simple.

Wickabee
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
I fall right in the middle. I believe that the planet has and does change without man's effects, but also believe that any planet with 7 billion people living on it has to have some sort of effect to the climate. It's just a shame that the topic is pretty much completely political these days.
I'm in the same spot. On one hand, yes, the Earth warms and cools on its own. Always has, always will. On the other hand, with so many people on this Earth doing so many thing that we know for a fact does affect the environment, it's hard to believe we're not at least speeding the process up.

mrveggieman
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
it's pro-choice not pro abortion. there's a huge difference. :)

I do agree with the distancing though. Most groups will distance like that if someone changes opinions/stances.

So all of us in favor of our second amendment right to bear arms should be considered pro choice and all of those against should be considered anti-gun? Or better yet why not call them anti choice?

pspstatus
11-01-2011, 04:46 PM
The earth definitely heats and cools naturally but I think humans are rapidly accelerating this phase of the cycle.

Wickabee
11-01-2011, 05:28 PM
So all of us in favor of our second amendment right to bear arms should be considered pro choice and all of those against should be considered anti-gun? Or better yet why not call them anti choice?
Pro-Life means you think no one should ever get an abortion.
Pro-Choice means you believe in an individual's right to choose to have an abortion or not.
Pro-Abortion means you think everyone should have mandatory abortions (yes these people exist).

So in your case it would be "Pro Choice" "Pro Gun Control" and "Anti-Gun"

At it's most basic.

theonedru
11-01-2011, 05:30 PM
lets stick to the Global warming theme and not mention any abortion arguments, this is not the thread for that

habsheaven
11-01-2011, 08:02 PM
lets stick to the Global warming theme and not mention any abortion arguments, this is not the thread for that

I agree. I managed to shut everyone up on the last thread about abortion. I'm still waiting for their responses over there. lol

ensbergcollector
11-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I agree. I managed to shut everyone up on the last thread about abortion. I'm still waiting for their responses over there. lol

i think you give yourself a little too much credit

habsheaven
11-01-2011, 09:09 PM
i think you give yourself a little too much credit

Yeah, you could be right. I guess we won't know until one of you respond.

ensbergcollector
11-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Yeah, you could be right. I guess we won't know until one of you respond.

what thread? nevermind, just saw

mrveggieman
11-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Ya'll be sure to check out my two cents on herman cain's stance on abortion over on that thread. Also let me add my two cents on global warming. Yes there have been envioremental problems since day one however with all of todays industries and pollution we are not doing very much to take care of the planet that we all have to share and if there are not major changes I feel for the generation that takes over for us.

ensbergcollector
11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Ya'll be sure to check out my two cents on herman cain's stance on abortion over on that thread. Also let me add my two cents on global warming. Yes there have been envioremental problems since day one however with all of todays industries and pollution we are not doing very much to take care of the planet that we all have to share and if there are not major changes I feel for the generation that takes over for us.

sorry but "how do you like your poster boy now" is not two cents nor does it add to the conversation.

sanfran22
11-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Truth of the matter. No matter what you believe, it won't make a difference if every person in this country went "green". The rest of the world would keep on doing what they do.
I have no problem conserving and cleaning up, but not for the reasons the garbage green movement dictates...

pghin08
11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Truth of the matter. No matter what you believe, it won't make a difference if every person in this country went "green". The rest of the world would keep on doing what they do.
I have no problem conserving and cleaning up, but not for the reasons the garbage green movement dictates...

I totally agree with you that the world will keep doing what they do. We can't just sign a law controlling pollution from India and China.

But I think the Green movement in the US is a good thing. There are quite a few "green" jobs coming to Western PA. PNC is even "green-ing" their headquarters. Plus, I have absolutely no issue with teaching my future children to care about the planet they live on.

The only thing we could hope is that if the US goes greener, the rest of the world would follow. But I'm not holding my breath.

duwal
11-02-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm in the same spot. On one hand, yes, the Earth warms and cools on its own. Always has, always will. On the other hand, with so many people on this Earth doing so many thing that we know for a fact does affect the environment, it's hard to believe we're not at least speeding the process up.

yeah, the earth does have its stages, but the overall averages are increasingly getting hotter while be causing by numerous things. I love when some people say well whats the difference if it goes up 1-2 degrees. Well just look at humans. A normal temperature for us is 98.6. Bump that up a couple degrees and we are laying in bed with a fever. Just a couple more degrees and we're going to the hospital to get checked out.

With global warming and increased heat the earth is acting just like a human, a bit disoriented. The seasons are getting a bit mixed up. It was the end of October and in the 80's in California

duwal
11-02-2011, 03:15 PM

yeah like I've seen a couple times that if every single car in this world went green or electric it would only drop the usage of gasoline by not even 1/3. 70% of the worlds fuel is being used by ships and planes. A cruise ship spends 10 days going from San Francisco to up the coast to Alaska and uses up 100,000 gallons of fuel. All these people driving around in their little Fisher Price looking electric cars are not even putting any kind of dent into what they're thinking they're helping out

sanfran22
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
yeah like I've seen a couple times that if every single car in this world went green or electric it would only drop the usage of gasoline by not even 1/3. 70% of the worlds fuel is being used by ships and planes. A cruise ship spends 10 days going from San Francisco to up the coast to Alaska and uses up 100,000 gallons of fuel. All these people driving around in their little Fisher Price looking electric cars are not even putting any kind of dent into what they're thinking they're helping out

Those cars scare me. Wonder what happens if I hit one with my suv. Not gonna be pretty.

pspstatus
11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah, the earth does have its stages, but the overall averages are increasingly getting hotter while be causing by numerous things. I love when some people say well whats the difference if it goes up 1-2 degrees. Well just look at humans. A normal temperature for us is 98.6. Bump that up a couple degrees and we are laying in bed with a fever. Just a couple more degrees and we're going to the hospital to get checked out.

With global warming and increased heat the earth is acting just like a human, a bit disoriented. The seasons are getting a bit mixed up. It was the end of October and in the 80's in California

That's a great analogy. You can look at the melting ice caps to see the serious impact just a few degrees warmer can have.