PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Lights- Big Brother or Safety?

jaybird_1981
11-01-2011, 11:17 PM
The red light camera debate led me to this article:

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/intelligent-lights-make-up-wireless-network-used-for-entertainment-and-safety

Not only can the street lights, now being rolled out in Detroit, Chicago and Pittsburgh with Department of Energy backing, act as surveillance cameras, Minority Report-style advertising hubs, and Homeland Security alert systems, they are “also capable of recording conversations,”

Now my question is where does it stop?

Star_Cards
11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I don't have a problem with cameras being able to detect a crime or violation and ticketing the offender, but recording sound is a bit much. Bottom line for me is I'm not out doing illegal things that I really have to worry about being recorded. I get the question of personal and civil rights about being recorded, but I also wonder about positive effects over negative. Are most people upset by these only upset because they got caught doing something wrong?

sanfran22
11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't have a problem with cameras being able to detect a crime or violation and ticketing the offender, but recording sound is a bit much. Bottom line for me is I'm not out doing illegal things that I really have to worry about being recorded. I get the question of personal and civil rights about being recorded, but I also wonder about positive effects over negative. Are most people upset by these only upset because they got caught doing something wrong?

No, most people would be upset because it's very subjective and open for fraud...It's bad news all around.

duane1969
11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I would think most people would have no problem with this. People already submit to illegal searches to board a plane, give consent to have their vehicle searched during a routine traffic stop, you can be arrested for not having ID on you...there is no reason to assume that we have any rights while walking down the street either.

I know some people think I am full of hot air but the time is coming in the near future where things are going to get really bad. We are on the verge of being a police state now. One more major terrorist attack and the government will be issuing curfews and declaring Marshall Law. Watch and see.

mrveggieman
11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I would think most people would have no problem with this. People already submit to illegal searches to board a plane, give consent to have their vehicle searched during a routine traffic stop, you can be arrested for not having ID on you...there is no reason to assume that we have any rights while walking down the street either.

I know some people think I am full of hot air but the time is coming in the near future where things are going to get really bad. We are on the verge of being a police state now. One more major terrorist attack and the government will be issuing curfews and declaring Marshall Law. Watch and see.

Sad but true. SMH

jaybird_1981
11-02-2011, 09:50 PM

This is true and very sad to see.

theonedru
11-04-2011, 12:12 AM

The sad thing really is that people will let it happen, We are great at complaining horrible at actually doing anything about stuff.

duane1969
11-04-2011, 09:30 AM
The sad thing really is that people will let it happen, We are great at complaining horrible at actually doing anything about stuff.

Exactly my point. People have become sheep to the slaughter.

Star_Cards
11-04-2011, 03:09 PM
No, most people would be upset because it's very subjective and open for fraud...It's bad news all around.

fraud, how so?

sanfran22
11-04-2011, 03:17 PM
fraud, how so?

Here's just a few....
http://www.azfamily.com/news/consumer/Red-light-camera-scam-warning-130673283.html
http://camerafraud.wordpress.com/
http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2011/10/23/opinion/red-light-cameras-simply-a-scam.html