PDA

View Full Version : Global warming is over, says expert

mikesilvia
11-02-2011, 10:51 AM
He doesn't have Hollywood movies or blowhards like Michael Moore, he just has facts.

"Prof Muller, of Berkeley University in California, and Prof Curry, who chairs the Department Of Earth And Atmospheric Sciences at America’s Georgia Institute of Technology, were part of the BEST project that carried out analysis of more than 1.6 billion temperature recordings collected from more than 39,000 weather stations around the world.

Prof Muller appeared on Radio 4’s Today Programme last Friday where he described how BEST’s findings showed that since the Fifties global temperatures had risen by about 1 degree Celsius, a figure which is in line with estimates from Nasa and the Met Office."

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/280948/Is-global-warming-over

pghin08
11-02-2011, 11:07 AM
You mean this guy?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204422404576594872796327348.html

mikesilvia
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes, that guy. This is from your article.

We discovered that about one-third of the world's temperature stations have recorded cooling temperatures, and about two-thirds have recorded warming. The two-to-one ratio reflects global warming. The changes at the locations that showed warming were typically between 1-2ºC, much greater than the IPCC's average of 0.64ºC

Let's spend trillions and change how we live over 1-2 degrees of warming. 1/3 of the earth is warming and 2/3 is cooling according to that data. At most 1-2 degees change over 50 years and I'm certain that much of that is due to the sun and other non-controllable factors.

Is the earth warming? Maybe. Should we spend trillions on a maybe? no.

pghin08
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Yes, that guy. This is from your article.

Let's spend trillions and change how we live over 1-2 degrees of warming. 1/3 of the earth is warming and 2/3 is cooling according to that data. At most 1-2 degees change over 50 years and I'm certain that much of that is due to the sun and other non-controllable factors.

Is the earth warming? Maybe. Should we spend trillions on a maybe? no.

I read that the other way around. 2/3 warming, which according to Muller, legitimized "global warming". And how exactly are we spending trillions on this? The entire defense budget from last year was over $600 billion, somehow I doubt we're spending more on global warming than our gigantic military.

sanfran22
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I read that the other way around. 2/3 warming, which according to Muller, legitimized "global warming". And how exactly are we spending trillions on this? The entire defense budget from last year was over $600 billion, somehow I doubt we're spending more on global warming than our gigantic military.

I would guess we are spending way more on so called "green Technology" then the military. The gov't loaned 500bill to solyndra alone which we probably won't see any of it back.

pghin08
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I would guess we are spending way more on so called "green Technology" then the military. The gov't loaned 500bill to solyndra alone which we probably won't see any of it back.

Might want to check your numbers on Solyndra. And if you think we're spending more on green technology than the military, I have a website I think you should explore:

www.cbo.gov

sanfran22
11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Might want to check your numbers on Solyndra. And if you think we're spending more on green technology than the military, I have a website I think you should explore:

www.cbo.gov

500 mil, my bad. But I'm sure there is a whole lot more just adding up. Point is, no need to spend on green. If we want alternative sources, fine. But not clean coal for the green affect.
Also, CBO is a line of crap. They fix and fudge numbers all the time . I would take their stuff with a grain of salt.

pghin08
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
500 mil, my bad. But I'm sure there is a whole lot more just adding up. Point is, no need to spend on green. If we want alternative sources, fine. But not clean coal for the green affect.
Also, CBO is a line of crap. They fix and fudge numbers all the time . I would take their stuff with a grain of salt.

But in order to spend more on "green" what-have-you than our military, we'd have to have about 20% or more of our budget go to these initiatives. To think we are spending that much is utterly impossible if you look at the budget.

sanfran22
11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
But in order to spend more on "green" what-have-you than our military, we'd have to have about 20% or more of our budget go to these initiatives. To think we are spending that much is utterly impossible if you look at the budget.

Possibly, but I'm sure a lot is hidden as well in things that no one knows what they are . Either way, the money could be used for better purposes.

pghin08
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Possibly, but I'm sure a lot is hidden as well in things that no one knows what they are . Either way, the money could be used for better purposes.

You can only hide so much, certainly not hundreds of billions. And I'm for green initiatives that could create jobs.

duane1969
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't know that they are "hiding" hundreds of billions but with a little bit of searching I found evidence that the Fed is spending hundreds of billions on green energy. The government's investment in green energy is much more than most people realize.

With just a little digging I found these Fed govt. investments in green energy:

$7 billion guaranteed for six solar plants in California (not counting Solyndra) http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1015-solar-loans-20111015,0,1933768.story

$1 billion for two solar projects in Nevada and Arizona http://www.thecanadianpress.com/english/online/OnlineFullStory.aspx?filename=DOR-MNN-CP.593b507cf11848a689ec11fff6d33050.CPKEY200811130 0&newsitemid=9620264&languageid=1

From a report by the Washington Management Group titled "Federal Initiatives for a Greener Government"

* December 2008 - Grren technology advocates estimate that the green component of President Barack Obama's stimulus plan could be $50 billion or 10% of the overall package.
* The stimulus plan would spend about a half-trillion dollars over two years on tax-rebates and an array of green projects, such as building renewable energy plants and installing smart meters.

*Also, EnergyStar is a federally backed program. Everything with the EnergyStar certification is federally subsidized in some manner and tax rebates can be gotten by buying EnergyStar certified homes and products.

* And we must not forget the tax rebate for buying a hybrid or electric car. How much did that cost over the last 2 years?

pghin08
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't know that they are "hiding" hundreds of billions but with a little bit of searching I found evidence that the Fed is spending hundreds of billions on green energy. The government's investment in green energy is much more than most people realize.

With just a little digging I found these Fed govt. investments in green energy:

$7 billion guaranteed for six solar plants in California (not counting Solyndra) http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1015-solar-loans-20111015,0,1933768.story

$1 billion for two solar projects in Nevada and Arizona http://www.thecanadianpress.com/english/online/OnlineFullStory.aspx?filename=DOR-MNN-CP.593b507cf11848a689ec11fff6d33050.CPKEY200811130 0&newsitemid=9620264&languageid=1

From a report by the Washington Management Group titled "Federal Initiatives for a Greener Government"

* December 2008 - Grren technology advocates estimate that the green component of President Barack Obama's stimulus plan could be $50 billion or 10% of the overall package.
* The stimulus plan would spend about a half-trillion dollars over two years on tax-rebates and an array of green projects, such as building renewable energy plants and installing smart meters.

Help me out on where you're getting these numbers. Here's an article I just found on Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/02/obamas-500-million-green-jobs-program-far-behind-projections-watchdog-says/

*Also, EnergyStar is a federally backed program. Everything with the EnergyStar certification is federally subsidized in some manner and tax rebates can be gotten by buying EnergyStar certified homes and products. Tax rebates or no, EnergyStar certified products have helped shed tens of billions in energy costs.

* And we must not forget the tax rebate for buying a hybrid or electric car. How much did that cost over the last 2 years? This is complex. Bush had a tax rebate in his energy plan that gave a $4000 tax credit on the first 60,000 hybrid cars, so about $240M. Obama's plan has only been in effect since January, so it's hard to tell how much it's cost.

No question that the top two on your list are legit.

duane1969
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Here is the .pdf by the Washington Management Group that shows the numbers I quoted. Scroll down to page/slide 8 for what I quoted.
http://www.washmg.com/download/Fed_%20Greener_Gov_09.pdf

I agree that EnergyStar has been a success. Heck, my home I built nearly 2 years ago is EnergyStar certified.

pghin08
11-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Here is the .pdf by the Washington Management Group that shows the numbers I quoted. Scroll down to page/slide 8 for what I quoted.
http://www.washmg.com/download/Fed_%20Greener_Gov_09.pdf

I agree that EnergyStar has been a success. Heck, my home I built nearly 2 years ago is EnergyStar certified.

Thanks for that. Yeah, EnergyStar has definitely been great.

mikesilvia
11-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Yes, I meant 2/3 say the earth is warming.

Forget about the billions the government is spending know, I'm talking about the trillions that cap and trade will cost businesses. The myth of global warming being caused by humans is a way for Al Gore and his friends to change the entire energy policy and use of the United States. Make no mistake, global warming is a business. Try doing a research paper on a rare bird and you may not get funding. Do a research paper on the "causes of global warming on the spotted wood-pecker" and suddenly funding appears. People support global warming without really buying into it.

I believe in facts and what I can see. Each morning I wake up I see a big ball of exploding gas warming my earth as the morning turns to day. I know that the core of the earth is 1,000s of degrees hot. I know that the earth does not rotate around the sun at a constant distance. I'm a firm believer that the sun (with solar flares, ets) doesn't remain the same temperature and we may be rotating a little closer to the sun. Who knows exactly what is going on in the center of the earth. Can we predict earth quakes or volcanic eruptions? Maybe in second or minutes, but not months or years. Volcanoes and the ocean evaporating from the suns heat release more green house gases than humans driving cars and farting. There were much higher levels of green house gases before humans ever came into existence. Who caused that? Not SUVs!

duwal
11-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes, I meant 2/3 say the earth is warming.

Forget about the billions the government is spending know, I'm talking about the trillions that cap and trade will cost businesses. The myth of global warming being caused by humans is a way for Al Gore and his friends to change the entire energy policy and use of the United States. Make no mistake, global warming is a business. Try doing a research paper on a rare bird and you may not get funding. Do a research paper on the "causes of global warming on the spotted wood-pecker" and suddenly funding appears. People support global warming without really buying into it.

I believe in facts and what I can see. Each morning I wake up I see a big ball of exploding gas warming my earth as the morning turns to day. I know that the core of the earth is 1,000s of degrees hot. I know that the earth does not rotate around the sun at a constant distance. I'm a firm believer that the sun (with solar flares, ets) doesn't remain the same temperature and we may be rotating a little closer to the sun. Who knows exactly what is going on in the center of the earth. Can we predict earth quakes or volcanic eruptions? Maybe in second or minutes, but not months or years. Volcanoes and the ocean evaporating from the suns heat release more green house gases than humans driving cars and farting. There were much higher levels of green house gases before humans ever came into existence. Who caused that? Not SUVs!

yes they did!!!
http://sharetv.org/images/guide/180844.jpg

pghin08
11-02-2011, 07:56 PM
yes they did!!!
http://sharetv.org/images/guide/180844.jpg

That's awesome.

theonedru
11-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Whether global warming is here or not is superficial and keeps our mind off the fact that we are still killing this planet with our stupidity and ignorance and we take no major steps to curtail it. Maybe we all deserve to perish.

mikesilvia
11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Whether global warming is here or not is superficial and keeps our mind off the fact that we are still killing this planet with our stupidity and ignorance and we take no major steps to curtail it. Maybe we all deserve to perish.

I tend to agree with you. I think we should focus on the real pollution, stop cutting down so many trees and take better care of the earth, something I don't mind our government spending billions on.