PDA

View Full Version : Are We About To Go To War With Iran??!

duane1969
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
I was reading this article about Israel threatening military action against Iran's nuclear weapons development program and saw this...

Meanwhile, The Guardian reported Wednesday that Britain's armed forces are considering contingency options to back up possible missile strikes by the U.S. on key Iranian facilities. Military planners are examining where best to deploy Royal Navy ships and submarines equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles as part of what would be an air and sea campaign, the newspaper said.

So if I am reading that correctly, the US has apparently already notified Great Britain of our intentions and they have began plans to provide support. Am I seeing that correctly?

The entire article. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45139933/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/

pghin08
11-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I wonder if it's not more for show than anything else. But let's be realistic. If Israel were to go to war with Iran, then we're at war with Iran too. But I question whether or not that will actually happen. Other than the Kashmir conflict, we've never really had a "hot war" between two nuclear powers.

This reminded me of one of my favorite Lewis Black jokes though:

"Iran actually has access to nuclear materials that they are beginning to convert into some sort of a bomb, that they will eventually put into a missile, and 500 Iranians will throw it at us."

duane1969
11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
"Iran actually has access to nuclear materials that they are beginning to convert into some sort of a bomb, that they will eventually put into a missile, and 500 Iranians will throw it at us."

HA!!! I love Lewis Black. He kills. Some people just don't get dry humor, I love it.

habsheaven
11-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I would guess that this:

Britain's armed forces are considering contingency options to back up possible missile strikes by the U.S. on key Iranian facilities

has been happening for years. All countries have people working on EVERY conceivable military scenario there is. So I would not read anything into this report.

Hilfiger1975
11-03-2011, 10:43 AM
We are a "warring" country...are you HONESTLY surprised considering America's past, seriously?

pghin08
11-03-2011, 10:49 AM
We are a "warring" country...are you HONESTLY surprised considering America's past, seriously?

Nope.

duane1969
11-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Yes. I thought we were under an administration that had a goal of peace in the Middle East, improving international relations and cutting government spending. A war with Iran accomplishes none of that. Is Israel and Iran go at it then the entire Middle East will erupt in war and it could lead to WW3.

pghin08
11-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Yes. I thought we were under an administration that had a goal of peace in the Middle East, improving international relations and cutting government spending. A war with Iran accomplishes none of that. Is Israel and Iran go at it then the entire Middle East will erupt in war and it could lead to WW3.

No matter who is President, if Israel goes to war with Iran, our hands are tied.

mrveggieman
11-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Israel reminds me of the kid that you can't mess with because his big brother (america) is the biggest bully in the neighboorhood.

duane1969
11-03-2011, 11:31 AM
No matter who is President, if Israel goes to war with Iran, our hands are tied.

Oh I agree.

lloydr04
11-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Israel reminds me of the kid that you can't mess with because his big brother (america) is the biggest bully in the neighboorhood.
nvm not gonna even joke lol

duane1969
11-03-2011, 12:38 PM
nvm not gonna even joke lol

Yeah, I saw it and even though I am not short it still went over my head...

gatorboymike
11-03-2011, 03:57 PM
If religious fanatics who actively want the apocalypse to happen didn't have a deathgrip on culture and politics in America, we wouldn't need to worry about Israel.

andrewhoya
11-03-2011, 04:23 PM
So much for Obama's 'troops are coming home by the end of the year'

pghin08
11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
So much for Obama's 'troops are coming home by the end of the year'

We're not deploying troops to Iran.

lloydr04
11-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I saw it and even though I am not short it still went over my head...

Oh wait you don't like dry humor

duane1969
11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Oh wait you don't like dry humor

I love dry humor. Just didn't get it :confused0024:

jaybird_1981
11-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Israel will not let Iran become a nuclear power with the capability to hit them period. This will definitely occur if Iran continues with their nuclear program.

Theodor Madison
11-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Who else is going to handle Iran, Exactly what Russia and China want to see.
Iran with arms from Russia silkworms from China
May help get Mr O. reelected????

theonedru
11-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Let Israel be idiots and try and attack Iran and get blown out of existence, Our government can stay out of it, if they even think of risking the lives of its citizens heads may roll

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Let Israel be idiots and try and attack Iran and get blown out of existence, Our government can stay out of it, if they even think of risking the lives of its citizens heads may roll

If it was just Israel vs. Iran I would agree. And Israel would absolutely wipe the floor with them if it was a fair fight.

But everyone one knows every other country in the region will jump in and that is why we would have to get involved.

marekschwarz33
11-04-2011, 12:29 AM
This is way George Washington told the U.S to trade freely with every nation but to not form alliances with any...

pghin08
11-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Who else is going to handle Iran, Exactly what Russia and China want to see.
Iran with arms from Russia silkworms from China
May help get Mr O. reelected????

Um...what? I thought that was a haiku for a second.

duane1969
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM

If everyone stayed out of it and let Iran and Israel have at it, Israel would mop the floor with Iran.

Nevermind that Israel has double the tanks, double the aircraft, and generally speaking, a better trained military, Israel, by far, has the best military equipment in the Middle East. Israel gets the newest and latest from the U.S. while Iran is mostly old leftover stuff that they bought from the U.S. and Russia back in the 1970's and 1980's.

What are the most effective US military weapons? Our fighter jets, our attack helicopters, our long range artillery and our cruise missles. Want to guess what we primarily supply Israel with?

lloydr04
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Israel has the 10th ranked military in the world, Iran has the 12th ... both have over 1,000 aircrafts

as far as manpower around 758,000 active and reserve for Israel and almost 1.1 million for Iran... not sure they would mop the floor with them, but they may win

duane1969
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Israel has the 10th ranked military in the world, Iran has the 12th ... both have over 1,000 aircrafts

as far as manpower around 758,000 active and reserve for Israel and almost 1.1 million for Iran... not sure they would mop the floor with them, but they may win

Those rankings are based purely off of raw numbers, not quality of equipment or training.

Iran's military weapons (tanks, fighter jets, etc.) are primarily what they bought from the U.S. or England prior to 1979 and what they have been able to build on their own with whatever technology they could glean from other countries or weapons that they have purchased. Any newer weapons they have are from Russia and China and those are limited in numbers. The bulk of their air defense missiles are old Russian or US missile from the 1970's. Iran's strength is in their infantry numbers, not their firepower.

Israel's military weapons are state of the art. Thanks to the US they have Apache helicopters, M109 & M110 self-propelled artillery, Stinger missles, Patriot air defense missiles, CBU-58 cluster bombs, Hellfire and TOW anti-tank missiles, Sidewinder and Chapparel anti-aircraft missiles, M113 APCs, Humvees...and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Also, thanks to technology supplied by the US, Israel is building their own F-16 fighter jets and their own UAVs.

Iran has the numbers. Israel has the firepower. If it was a hand-to-hand war then Iran would have the edge but in this day of modern warfare Iran's troops would be helpless against the airstrikes and missle strikes that Israel is capable of.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Those rankings are based purely off of raw numbers, not quality of equipment or training.

Iran's military weapons (tanks, fighter jets, etc.) are primarily what they bought from the U.S. or England prior to 1979 and what they have been able to build on their own with whatever technology they could glean from other countries or weapons that they have purchased. Any newer weapons they have are from Russia and China and those are limited in numbers. The bulk of their air defense missiles are old Russian or US missile from the 1970's. Iran's strength is in their infantry numbers, not their firepower.

Israel's military weapons are state of the art. Thanks to the US they have Apache helicopters, M109 & M110 self-propelled artillery, Stinger missles, Patriot air defense missiles, CBU-58 cluster bombs, Hellfire and TOW anti-tank missiles, Sidewinder and Chapparel anti-aircraft missiles, M113 APCs, Humvees...and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Also, thanks to technology supplied by the US, Israel is building their own F-16 fighter jets and their own UAVs.

Iran has the numbers. Israel has the firepower.
Are those finally worth using now? :winking0071:

duane1969
11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Are those finally worth using now? :winking0071:

Everything I have seen says they are. Are you aware of something I am not? I was under the understanding that they were the top combat helicopter in the world.

pghin08
11-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Iran has the numbers. Israel has the firepower.

Spot on. Look at Israel's history of war (since the 40s), they're an unbelievably tough people. They've always been outmanned, but never defeated.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Everything I have seen says they are. Are you aware of something I am not? I was under the understanding that they were the top combat helicopter in the world.
I remember the military having problems with them long ago, but i could be wrong...:winking0071:

http://archive.gao.gov/d32t10/146441.pdf

Hopefully, they fixed these issues since then. I remembered reading about them having problems with that helicopter in the past that's why i said that...

lloydr04
11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Iran has the numbers. Israel has the firepower. If it was a hand-to-hand war then Iran would have the edge but in this day of modern warfare Iran's troops would be helpless against the airstrikes and missle strikes that Israel is capable of.

Iran is a pretty big country, Israel isn't that huge.. who's to say Iran cant bomb them either? Like i put earlier Israel would probably win, but both sides would get bombed make no mistake about it .. and if nobody jumps in im sure it isnt a war both sides would want

duane1969
11-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Iran is a pretty big country, Israel isn't that huge.. who's to say Iran cant bomb them either? Like i put earlier Israel would probably win, but both sides would get bombed make no mistake about it .. and if nobody jumps in im sure it isnt a war both sides would want

Iran lacks the long range capability that Israel has and Israel's air defense system is way ahead of Iran's (again, thanks to the US). I am sure Israel would take some hits but nothing like Iran would take in retaliation.

Israel would be using modern missiles to shoot down 20-30 year old Iranian missiles. Iran would be using a 40 year old air defense system to shoot down modern missiles.

You are correct, Iran is a big country...that is what UAVs are for.

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 02:18 PM

And Iraq was a top 5 miltary power before desert storm and we all know how that turned out?

Trust me Israel would make short work of Iran.

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I remember the military having problems with them long ago, but i could be wrong...:winking0071:

http://archive.gao.gov/d32t10/146441.pdf

Hopefully, they fixed these issues since then. I remembered reading about them having problems with that helicopter in the past that's why i said that...

The Apache is an amazing piece of engineering and a silent killing machine. The military has had a lot more trouble with "crashhawks" than apaches.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 02:22 PM
The Apache is an amazing piece of engineering and a silent killing machine. The military has had a lot more trouble with "crashhawks" than apaches.
So is my butt...:winking0071:

pghin08
11-04-2011, 02:53 PM
So is my butt...:winking0071:

Funny, my butt happens to be an amazing piece of engineering.

mrveggieman
11-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Funny, my butt happens to be an amazing piece of engineering.

Ya'll know this is a family friendly forum? :winking0071:

pghin08
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Ya'll know this is a family friendly forum? :winking0071:

Yup. I usually find other things on here far more offensive than butt jokes :smokin:

mrveggieman
11-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Yup. I usually find other things on here far more offensive than butt jokes :smokin:

Ha Ha, yeah like Herman Cain.

lloydr04
11-04-2011, 03:43 PM
And Iraq was a top 5 miltary power before desert storm and we all know how that turned out?

Yeah because a coalition of nations with the US being the top dog is the exact same thing as Israel being the one and only country fighting a military ranked not too far behind them .. please.

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah because a coalition of nations with the US being the top dog is the exact same thing as Israel being the one and only country fighting a military ranked not too far behind them .. please.

Coalition of nations? lol ok.

Israel did fine last time things went down. That is one country I wouldn't want to mess with.

lloydr04
11-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Coalition of nations? lol ok.

Israel did fine last time things went down. That is one country I wouldn't want to mess with.

Maybe you should look it up nothing about that statement is funny or false

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe you should look it up nothing about that statement is funny or false

The term coalition is used very loosely. In Afghanistan right now there are hundreds of countries but some have as few as a couple hundred troops.

We didn't need any help whatsoever to take care of Iraq.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 04:25 PM
The term coalition is used very loosely. In Afghanistan right now there are hundreds of countries but some have as few as a couple hundred troops.

Ya, we need help running our own country...:winking0071:

Is there a country out there to help us do that?

Playhard
11-04-2011, 04:27 PM
It will be awhile for us to go to war! People are to scared or nations because of weapons they have! Only way there would be war is Iran has to do something drastic to cause it!

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Ya, we need help running our own country...:winking0071:

Is there a country out there to help us do that?

Our country has its problems but I have been to far far worse places. In my opinion nothing comes close to home.

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
It will be awhile for us to go to war! People are to scared or nations because of weapons they have! Only way there would be war is Iran has to do something drastic to cause it!

We won't initiate the war but if Israel does you can bet we will become involved.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Our country has its problems but I have been to far far worse places. In my opinion nothing comes close to home.
Cups half full, huh?

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Cups half full, huh?

I am in one of the wealthiest cities in a foreign country right now and it can't even touch the poorest community in the states.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I am in one of the wealthiest cities in a foreign country right now and it can't even touch the poorest community in the states.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unable...61472.html?x=0 (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unable-to-pay-bill-Mich-city-apf-2920161472.html?x=0)

Does your city have lights? :winking0071:

Playhard
11-04-2011, 04:35 PM

You know what it says in the bible! When iseral is surrounded by armies you will know the time is near! Meaning end of world!

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Sorry, i've gotta do it...guess you've never been to Cleveland before, huh? :winking0071:

jaybird_1981
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unable...61472.html?x=0 (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unable-to-pay-bill-Mich-city-apf-2920161472.html?x=0)

Does your city have lights? :winking0071:

I know you meant this is a joke but no they don't have street lights.

Hilfiger1975
11-04-2011, 04:40 PM
You know what it says in the bible! When iseral is surrounded by armies you will know the time is near! Meaning end of world!
Is that what you got out of it?

Hairylemon
11-05-2011, 01:37 AM

So the British troops who died in Basra didn't count huh? Next time the USA wants to kick off a war it has no right too please leave the UK out of it.

jaybird_1981
11-05-2011, 04:16 AM
So the British troops who died in Basra didn't count huh? Next time the USA wants to kick off a war it has no right too please leave the UK out of it.

Re read what I said. I said we didn't NEED anyone other countries help and that is true. No one said anything about the sacrifice other countries service members made.

Hairylemon
11-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Taking care of Iraq? Hows that worked out for everyone? Why is it ok for the west to have nuclear weapons but when a country you don't like has them it's all of a sudden a terrible thing. Is it possible they want nuclear weapons because we have them?

jaybird_1981
11-05-2011, 04:55 AM
Taking care of Iraq? Hows that worked out for everyone? Why is it ok for the west to have nuclear weapons but when a country you don't like has them it's all of a sudden a terrible thing. Is it possible they want nuclear weapons because we have them?

Do you think the USA is the only one saying that Iran will not be allowed to become a nuclear nation?

You might want to check out the NPT which I believe Iran signed.

pghin08
11-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Taking me back to my poli sci days studying the "security dilemma" :kiss:

beachboy22
11-05-2011, 10:48 AM

I actually think it has worked out pretty well! One of the most ruthless dictators has been removed from power and the people freed yet big bad US is still hated by everyone even tho without us and other countries that helped the people would still be oppressed. And it's a bad thing when a country who openly doesn't like you and has a radical dictator has them and may use them and not follow the NPT, which they have already shown they won't in the past. What's the point of having the power to stop it but not doing so? A metaphor to this would be would you want a robber to have a gun just because you Have one or would you rather have a gun and he have a knife in the situation? Just some of my thoughts

lloydr04
11-05-2011, 01:47 PM
I actually think it has worked out pretty well! One of the most ruthless dictators has been removed from power and the people freed yet big bad US is still hated by everyone even tho without us and other countries that helped the people would still be oppressed. And it's a bad thing when a country who openly doesn't like you and has a radical dictator has them and may use them and not follow the NPT, which they have already shown they won't in the past. What's the point of having the power to stop it but not doing so? A metaphor to this would be would you want a robber to have a gun just because you Have one or would you rather have a gun and he have a knife in the situation? Just some of my thoughts

EDIT: forget it

jaybird_1981
11-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Israel edging closer to a pre-emptive strike:

http://news.yahoo.com/israels-peres-says-iran-attack-more-more-likely-022212256.html

theonedru
11-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Israel is a bully who deserves to be put in it's place

sanfran22
11-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Israel is a bully who deserves to be put in it's place
Not really, but whatever. You want to see bully's look around Israel.

duane1969
11-06-2011, 10:21 PM

Actually it is the international community that doesn't want Iran having nuclear weapons, not the just west.

Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has outright said that Israel "must be wiped off the face of the map." His anti-Semitism has been well documented.

But hey, you clearly know what you are talking about, and since you think an anti-Semitic terrorist-supporter like Ahmadinejad having nuclear weapons is a good thing, you must be right. We are just being bully Americans. Just because he wants to start a nuclear war and kill millions of Jews has nothing to do with it.

You know, I can't quote exact numbers right now, but the coalition amounted to a nominal number of foreign troops and the US military. Off the top of my head, Australia sent like 500 troops, Canada sent like 1200 troops...other than the UK I don't think any country sent more than a few hundred troops.

mrveggieman
11-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Here's my solution to the Israel-Iran conflict. This will never go down because of all the egos involved as well as the US being in bed with Isreal but if it were up to me I would do it like this. Tell Israel and Iran if the want to go to war feel free. However no other countries can get involved to help Israel or Iran. If any other country gets involved a coalition of powefrul nations including the US, China, Russia, Great Britian, etc will attatck and overthrow any nation that gets involved. At the end of the Iran vs Israel war the winner will be allowed to take over the losing country as well as converting the loser's citizens to the religion of the winning country. Of course this will never happen but if those were the rules given to Israel and Iran if they wanted to go to war then they would think twice about starting a war that they can't win.

sanfran22
11-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Here's my solution to the Israel-Iran conflict. This will never go down because of all the egos involved as well as the US being in bed with Isreal but if it were up to me I would do it like this. Tell Israel and Iran if the want to go to war feel free. However no other countries can get involved to help Israel or Iran. If any other country gets involved a coalition of powefrul nations including the US, China, Russia, Great Britian, etc will attatck and overthrow any nation that gets involved. At the end of the Iran vs Israel war the winner will be allowed to take over the losing country as well as converting the loser's citizens to the religion of the winning country. Of course this will never happen but if those were the rules given to Israel and Iran if they wanted to go to war then they would think twice about starting a war that they can't win.

Lol, really?

lloydr04
11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
You know, I can't quote exact numbers right now, but the coalition amounted to a nominal number of foreign troops and the US military. Off the top of my head, Australia sent like 500 troops, Canada sent like 1200 troops...other than the UK I don't think any country sent more than a few hundred troops.

Let me help you out there

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mil_gul_war_coa_for-military-gulf-war-coalition-forces

mrveggieman
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Lol, really?

You got a better idea or do you really want to see ameica, I mean isreal go to war against iran and waste countless more lives and recources that could go to better use?

sanfran22
11-07-2011, 09:54 AM
You got a better idea or do you really want to see ameica, I mean isreal go to war against iran and waste countless more lives and recources that could go to better use?

Let's just say I'll pass on your idea. It actually made me LOL.

duane1969
11-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Let me help you out there

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/mil_gul_war_coa_for-military-gulf-war-coalition-forces

OK, so if you add up all of the coalition forces you get roughly 1/4th of what the US sent.

And I might be wrong here but I am pretty sure the Saudi troops came in after the fighting was over as a security/peace-keeping measure.

lloydr04
11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
OK, so if you add up all of the coalition forces you get roughly 1/4th of what the US sent.

And I might be wrong here but I am pretty sure the Saudi troops came in after the fighting was over as a security/peace-keeping measure.

I was just letting you know there were more than "other than the UK" there were other countries that sent more than "a couple hundred troops"

duane1969
11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I was just letting you know there were more than "other than the UK" there were other countries that sent more than "a couple hundred troops"

Yeah I was just generalizing. When I wrote that I was in the midst of watching the Steelers choke and didn't want to take the time to look up numbers.