PDA

View Full Version : Cable companies to offer broadband for only $9.95 to poor familes with kids

pwaldo
11-09-2011, 02:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/cable-cos-offer-9-95-broadband-poor-homes-135537713.html

shortking98
11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Then after two years when those families start to appreciate broadband they will triple the prices...

mrveggieman
11-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea for now. Do any of you conservatives have a problem with this?

sanfran22
11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a good idea for now. Do any of you conservatives have a problem with this?
If it's subsidized, yes. If not, they are private companies that can do whatever they want to do. Probably opens up a whole new market. I do have a problem with what the gov't official said. When did we have to have the internet to become educated or find a job?

mrveggieman
11-09-2011, 04:01 PM
If it's subsidized, yes. If not, they are private companies that can do whatever they want to do. Probably opens up a whole new market. I do have a problem with what the gov't official said. When did we have to have the internet to become educated or find a job?

Sanfran I'm not sure what you do for a living or when the last time you had to look for a job and it really dosent matter but go out a try to apply for most jobs and the first thing that they will do is tell you to go to the web to apply. Yes you may say there is free internet access at the library but that is still using public recources and tax payers money. Why not give greater access to the web for all citizens and not just people who bring home a little more money and can afford it? It will make our society much more educated and work ready.

sanfran22
11-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Sanfran I'm not sure what you do for a living or when the last time you had to look for a job and it really dosent matter but go out a try to apply for most jobs and the first thing that they will do is tell you to go to the web to apply. Yes you may say there is free internet access at the library but that is still using public recources and tax payers money. Why not give greater access to the web for all citizens and not just people who bring home a little more money and can afford it? It will make our society much more educated and work ready.

I own a business and have never applied for a job online nor have I been told to. You have help wanted adds all the time. Like I said, if it's subsidized it's bogus. If not, it's a business decision.

mrveggieman
11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
I own a business and have never applied for a job online nor have I been told to. You have help wanted adds all the time. Like I said, if it's subsidized it's bogus. If not, it's a business decision.

You look through help wanted adds and 95% of them will tell you to apply online. The ones that don't are usually scams.

theonedru
11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
You look through help wanted adds and 95% of them will tell you to apply online. The ones that don't are usually scams.

Not true and I actually agree with Sanfran, if its subsidized then I am against it. They can go to their local Library and look online there. or there are job source place3s where you can go in and look at the online job postings, Do they not have these type of machines in all unemployment locations?

mrveggieman
11-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Not true and I actually agree with Sanfran, if its subsidized then I am against it. They can go to their local Library and look online there. or there are job source place3s where you can go in and look at the online job postings, Do they not have these type of machines in all unemployment locations?

Yes I was unemployed for a while and had to deal with my state unemployment office. It's much easier said that done to say go to the library or the unemployment office to use the internet. For one everyone and their momma is trying to use the computers for everything except looking for a job. Also those places are only open during business hours M-F. What if someone wants to get a jump on all the other job seekers? Or if the weather is bad? What about if they don't have transportation? Wow it looks like someone has been drinking their conservative juice today. :winking0071:

tutall
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes I was unemployed for a while and had to deal with my state unemployment office. It's much easier said that done to say go to the library or the unemployment office to use the internet. For one everyone and their momma is trying to use the computers for everything except looking for a job. Also those places are only open during business hours M-F. What if someone wants to get a jump on all the other job seekers? Or if the weather is bad? What about if they don't have transportation? Wow it looks like someone has been drinking their conservative juice today. :winking0071:

1. Who cares how easy it is... All libraries that I am aware of have computers and have limits in place to how long one can use computers if there are people waiting...

2. Figure it out... It isnt up to anyone else to provide you a job.... It is up to you to figure it out and go find something... When I was unemployed I went from farm to farm asking if they had anything I could do... Somedays I made 20 bucks feeding pigs some days I made 100 bucks bailing hay, somedays I made no maney and was out the gas money it took to go around... It isnt easy but it also isnt something no one else could do.

theonedru
11-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Or if the weather is bad? What about if they don't have transportation?

If these are excuses people use for not finding a job what happens when/if they got one .. can they not use the same excuse to not show up for it

andrewhoya
11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that those who are on free school lunches probably are the ones without computers in the first place?...

duane1969
11-09-2011, 06:51 PM

I have 1. Who pays for it? Is is subsidized? Will the companies raise my prices to compensate for giving a discount rate to poor families?

Oh wait, I thought of something else. Since they are too poor to afford paying full price for internet (it's like $20 a month for 1G around my area) I would assume they are also too poor to buy a $500 computer.

Hilfiger1975
11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
You can't be serious, right? Do you have any idea about applying for fast food jobs or are you just assuming? All the fast food places i have been to want you to apply on-line. You are aware this is 2011 and not 1987, right? What does owning a business have to do with applying for a job at McDonald's on-line?

Hilfiger1975
11-09-2011, 07:08 PM
After reading the P & R forum i'm really not surprised why America is truly the way it is and why in 20-30 years it will be rich and poor, no middle class. You want children to go to a library that might not even be within 10-15 miles of a home? Am i correct in reading this? What about a single mother who works a 9-5 job and needs to feed her kids and have them in bed by 9 pm? Is anyone aware of the homework kids get now-a-days? Me personally i've sat 2-3 hours with my son doing homework. Is she going to have time to take the kids to the library? It's painfully obvious that A LOT of Americans have had a silver spoon in their mouth for a VERY LONG time and have no idea or can't even comprehend how difficult it is being brought into poverty. Since everyone wants to stereotype i figured i would do the same thing to make the P & R forum complete...it doesn't surprise me that America is the richest country in the world and also the most greedy and hated...

theonedru
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
After reading the P & R forum i'm really not surprised why America is truly the way it is and why in 20-30 years it will be rich and poor, no middle class. You want children to go to a library that might not even be within 10-15 miles of a home? Am i correct in reading this? What about a single mother who works a 9-5 job and needs to feed her kids and have them in bed by 9 pm? Is anyone aware of the homework kids get now-a-days? Me personally i've sat 2-3 hours with my son doing homework. Is she going to have time to take the kids to the library? It's painfully obvious that A LOT of Americans have had a silver spoon in their mouth for a VERY LONG time and have no idea or can even comprehend how difficult it is being brought into poverty. Since everyone wants to stereotype i figured i would do the same thing to make the P & R forum complete...it doesn't surprise me that America is the richest country in the world and also the most greedy and hated...

" America is the richest country in the world and also the most greedy and hated "

hardly the richest with over $15 trillion in debt but I will agree with the greediest and hated......

ensbergcollector
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
while no one here would argue that having a computer and internet isn't a good thing, the issue is, if the government is paying for it, why? There are a lot of things that make life easier. Should the government pay for everyone a car, a computer, a house, internet, a gym membership, quality shoes, a dog (all research shows having pets increases your quality of life). So frankly, i don't care how well you can argue that internet would help people, i want someone to tell me why the government should pay for it?

(as others have said, if the cable company is paying, rock on)

themanishere
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I have 1. Who pays for it? Is is subsidized? Will the companies raise my prices to compensate for giving a discount rate to poor families?

Oh wait, I thought of something else. Since they are too poor to afford paying full price for internet (it's like $20 a month for 1G around my area) I would assume they are also too poor to buy a $500 computer.

I would imagine that the services provided would be close to the bare minimum though? I don't think higher-priced packages will be offered for $9.95 or whatever. At least, that's the impression I got from the article.

Besides, I would think Comcast accounted for this cost when they took over NBC Universal and were required to do this.

Data show that consumers tend to stick with one company when they sign up for stuff like cable and internet. Aside from bridging the digital divide, Comcast probably sees this as an opportunity to open up the low-income segment in the long-term as well.

texansrangerfan73
11-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Since the technology & machines took over & made the paper & pen obsolete. Oh and don't say that hi-tech crap hasn't taken over because I think someone who was fed up with the new techno gizmos was trying to make a point over the corruption of the human being versus machines!!

duwal
11-10-2011, 01:46 AM

or what if they are living as a hermit and don't know anyone who would let them get on their computer for a little?? This is what is almost hilarious. All of the excuses the unemployed or the poor come up with. Its frustrating when not everything is handed to you or someone does all the grunt work to help you out. The fact is if someone is SERIOUS about getting a job they will do what is needed. They will go in the rain to pick up papers to look through and get the contact numbers. But oh the library is sooo far and when I get there I might have to wait for a free machine

jaybird_1981
11-10-2011, 06:01 AM

I agree with this.

jlzinck
11-10-2011, 08:46 AM
I love the use of the word "poor"

When I was younger the "poor" people did not have much of anything.

Now "poor" people, like the ones at the homeless shelter I volunteered for last year around Christmas time, have iPhones and other smart phones.

The definition of "poor" sure has changed.

As said if this is a private company doing this on their own I have no issue with it.

Of course someone will sue because they are poor and have no children and won't be eligible.

mrveggieman
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
After reading the P & R forum i'm really not surprised why America is truly the way it is and why in 20-30 years it will be rich and poor, no middle class. You want children to go to a library that might not even be within 10-15 miles of a home? Am i correct in reading this? What about a single mother who works a 9-5 job and needs to feed her kids and have them in bed by 9 pm? Is anyone aware of the homework kids get now-a-days? Me personally i've sat 2-3 hours with my son doing homework. Is she going to have time to take the kids to the library? It's painfully obvious that A LOT of Americans have had a silver spoon in their mouth for a VERY LONG time and have no idea or can't even comprehend how difficult it is being brought into poverty. Since everyone wants to stereotype i figured i would do the same thing to make the P & R forum complete...it doesn't surprise me that America is the richest country in the world and also the most greedy and hated...

Church!! :cheer2:

duane1969
11-10-2011, 12:10 PM
After reading the P & R forum i'm really not surprised why America is truly the way it is and why in 20-30 years it will be rich and poor, no middle class.

According to most liberals I speak to, most already think that it is already either rich or poor. The middle-class are now being labeled and treated as "rich" simply becuase they have a solid income, own a home, wear nice clothes and have a nice car.

I don't see what is wrong with there being rich and poor. The rich work hard, earn a paycheck and have "stuff". The poor don't. That is the reality of life. If the poor want "stuff" then they need to stop standing around with their hand out waiting on someone else to give it to them and go get it.

It's painfully obvious that A LOT of Americans have had a silver spoon in their mouth for a VERY LONG time and have no idea or can't even comprehend how difficult it is being brought into poverty.

And? That doesn't make them bad people. Becuase they had an easier life than someone else does not make them deserving of angst. Being wealthy is not a bad thing, in spite of the constant liberal attempt to create that belief.

There used to be a time in this country where people who had less worked hard to have more and better things. Now they just whine and complain about how unfair their situation is and wait on the government to take it from others and give it to them.

habsheaven
11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
According to most liberals I speak to, most already think that it is already either rich or poor. The middle-class are now being labeled and treated as "rich" simply becuase they have a solid income, own a home, wear nice clothes and have a nice car.

I don't see what is wrong with there being rich and poor. The rich work hard, earn a paycheck and have "stuff". The poor don't. That is the reality of life. If the poor want "stuff" then they need to stop standing around with their hand out waiting on someone else to give it to them and go get it.

And? That doesn't make them bad people. Becuase they had an easier life than someone else does not make them deserving of angst. Being wealthy is not a bad thing, in spite of the constant liberal attempt to create that belief.

There used to be a time in this country where people who had less worked hard to have more and better things. Now they just whine and complain about how unfair their situation is and wait on the government to take it from others and give it to them.

That is the PERCEPTION of many; it is far from the REALITY. I can count 100's of people I know personally that work a hell of a lot harder than I do and make half as much money. Hard work is not exclusive to the rich, far from it.

Hilfiger1975
11-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Wow, do you stereotype ALL THE TIME? You are the AMERICAN DREAM...

Well since you want to stereotype what poor means to you i'll stereotype rich people real fast. People who steal money from companies and move all the American jobs to foreign countries. How's that for stereotyping?

See the sad thing down the road poor are going to outnumber rich people and poor people will just start taking stuff from rich people illegally and then we'll see real crying in America...because after awhile people have nothing to lose, but the rich people do...i don't agree with it, but it's going to happen...mark my words...

I've never once said that there is not "poor" people who abuse the system, but come on now let's use some common sense there is REAL "poor" people. Not unless we are just that far from what reality truly is and too busy in our "real world." But remember the same can be said for HONORABLE, PRIDEFUL, NEVER BREAKING THE LAW RICH PEOPLE... =\

Hilfiger1975
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
That is the PERCEPTION of many; it is far from the REALITY. I can count 100's of people I know personally that work a hell of a lot harder than I do and make half as much money. Hard work is not exclusive to the rich, far from it.
He knows the truth he just enjoys stereotyping when it benefits his opinions...because we all know how hard steel workers work and how hard it is sitting at a desk in a suit doing paperwork...i wonder how hard David Stern works? :rolleyes:

I know some one personally like REAL close that works at a College and is in Records and she does NOTHING all day and makes $14.00 an hour...

Hilfiger1975
11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
See i've lived on both sides of the system and i've seen what America has to offer on both realms of reality...some people need to actually see both sides of life before they want to throw uneducated opinions out...try living in some one else shoes before you want to make opinions about "all" poor people...like i said in a previous post this forum is the epitome of America...and it shows in America as we see it today...

mrveggieman
11-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow, do you stereotype ALL THE TIME? You are the AMERICAN DREAM...

Well since you want to stereotype what poor means to you i'll stereotype rich people real fast. People who steal money from companies and move all the American jobs to foreign countries. How's that for stereotyping?

See the sad thing down the road poor are going to outnumber rich people and poor people will just start taking stuff from rich people illegally and then we'll see real crying in America...because after awhile people have nothing to lose, but the rich people do...i don't agree with it, but it's going to happen...mark my words...

I've never once said that there is not "poor" people who abuse the system, but come on now let's use some common sense there is REAL "poor" people. Not unless we are just that far from what reality truly is and too busy in our "real world." But remember the same can be said for HONORABLE, PRIDEFUL, NEVER BREAKING THE LAW RICH PEOPLE... =\

Church!! :cheer2:

ensbergcollector
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
The issue here isn't really rich and poor. It is, what should people expect to be done for them as opposed to doing it for themselves. I asked earlier but no one replied. Where is the line? Does having a computer and internet help someone get employment? Probably. Does having a car? Of course. Does having nice clothes to interview in? Yep. Does speaking a 2nd language. Definitely. So, should the government provide and pay for everyone in america to have a car, a computer, internet, clothes, education, etc? There has to be a line somewhere that people do things for themselves. I live a just a little better than paycheck to paycheck. i grew up the same way. I have never, and I mean never, felt that anyone owed me anything or that it was anyone's responsibility but my own if I want to better my situation. Maybe it is upbringing, I don't know. But I you have two people with the exact same circumstances, one takes it upon themselves to make life better while the other thinks someone should make their life better.

mrveggieman
11-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Having a computer with web access is almost akin to having a home telephone. There is something called life line which is basic telephone access to low income people. The logic is if someone has a child or is eldery and they have an life or death emergency would it be fair for them to die just because they could not afford a home telephone? I'm not suggesting that a web access is life or death but there is something called a digital divide and a child now in today's society who grows up without web access is at a huge disadvantage as far as learning in school and that will affect his earning potential which could lead to other things that we the taxpayers will have to pay for eg unemployemt insurance, welfare, imprisionment, etc. Why not pay a little for web access for the underprivileged now and save a lot in the long run.

duane1969
11-10-2011, 02:11 PM

So out of everything I said you are concerned with the word "hard"? Seriously? You are nitpicking. Clearly I was not saying that steel workers do not work hard. Also, if you can show me a poor steel worker then I would like to see him/her. I won't hold my breath waiting for you to find one.

I also did not say hard work was exclusive to rich people, but thanks for that pathetic attempt to twist my words into something I didn't say.

Try to focus on the big picture rather than taking one word out of context and going on some pointless rant that is not relevant to what I said.

See i've lived on both sides of the system and i've seen what America has to offer on both realms of reality...some people need to actually see both sides of life before they want to throw uneducated opinions out...try living in some one else shoes before you want to make opinions about "all" poor people...like i said in a previous post this forum is the epitome of America...and it shows in America as we see it today...

FYI I have seen both sides of the tracks and I would guess that I have been much more poor than you would ever dream of. My son's first Christmas my wife and I had $5 to spend. That was it. $5. We bought him a toy truck from the dollar store and then we were broke. To this day it pains me to think of how little I was able to give to him when he was growing up.

My wife and I used to buy a couple of pairs of $3 sweat pants from the dollar store and share them because that was all we could afford. For 2.5 years we walked everywhere because we didn't have a car and even if we did have one we couldn't afford gas or insurance.

You know what I did about it? I worked HARD. I went to college full-time while working a 40 hour a week job and being a dad to three kids and a husband. 16-18 hour days were the norm. I busted my hump and fought tooth and nail to get where I am. So excuse me if I don't buy into this whole crap that liberals keep spewing about their version of the American Dream.

Every month I have money that I earn taken away and given to people who are sitting at home, cashing their welfare check and whining about how unfair life is. Excuse me if I don't feel sympathy for them.

duane1969
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Having a computer with web access is almost akin to having a home telephone. There is something called life line which is basic telephone access to low income people. The logic is if someone has a child or is eldery and they have an life or death emergency would it be fair for them to die just because they could not afford a home telephone? I'm not suggesting that a web access is life or death but there is something called a digital divide and a child now in today's society who grows up without web access is at a huge disadvantage as far as learning in school and that will affect his earning potential which could lead to other things that we the taxpayers will have to pay for eg unemployemt insurance, welfare, imprisionment, etc. Why not pay a little for web access for the underprivileged now and save a lot in the long run.

I currently work in a school with a poverty rate in the 70-80% range. To my knowledge not one of our students is without internet access at home.

Furthermore, until a few months ago I worked for the county schools technology department and we initiated a 1:1 program where every 9th grader gets a netbook. The issue of home internet access was brought up at the beginning of the program. In the first year I did not hear a single issue of a kid taking home their netbook and not being able to use it because they had no internet.

I honestly believe that the "internet for the poor" thing is being blown way out of proportion on by both sides. What I really envision happening is low-income families who already have regular internet taking advantage of this discount rate. And as I said before, if the companies are doing this out of their own pocket then I have no issue with it.

mrveggieman
11-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Every month I have money that I earn taken away and given to people who are sitting at home, cashing their welfare check and whining about how unfair life is. Excuse me if I don't feel sympathy for them.

And every pay period I have money taken out of my check and given away to people overseas who don't want american troops over there but are glad to spend american money. If I'm going to have my money taken away to help someone I would rather it go to someone in my own community who would appreciate it.

habsheaven
11-10-2011, 02:27 PM
So out of everything I said you are concerned with the word "hard"? Seriously? You are nitpicking. Clearly I was not saying that steel workers do not work hard. Also, if you can show me a poor steel worker then I would like to see him/her. I won't hold my breath waiting for you to find one.

I also did not say hard work was exclusive to rich people, but thanks for that pathetic attempt to twist my words into something I didn't say.

Try to focus on the big picture rather than taking one word out of context and going on some pointless rant that is not relevant to what I said.

This is a lot more than ONE word.

The rich work hard, earn a paycheck and have "stuff". The poor don't. That is the reality of life. If the poor want "stuff" then they need to stop standing around with their hand out waiting on someone else to give it to them and go get it.

You implied that POOR people, not only don't work hard, they don't work at all. It is not an attempt by me to do anything. They are your words. Stand by them or retract them. Don't blame me for pointing out your misguided perceptions.

And why would I look for a poor steel worker? Where did you see me say that? Are you "twisting" MY words, again?

duane1969
11-10-2011, 02:33 PM
This is a lot more than ONE word.

The rich work hard, earn a paycheck and have "stuff". The poor don't. That is the reality of life. If the poor want "stuff" then they need to stop standing around with their hand out waiting on someone else to give it to them and go get it.

You implied that POOR people, not only don't work hard, they don't work at all. It is not an attempt by me to do anything. They are your words. Stand by them or retract them. Don't blame me for pointing out your misguided perceptions.

And why would I look for a poor steel worker? Where did you see me say that? Are you "twisting" MY words, again?

OK, I will retract my general statement that "the poor don't".

Let me clarify.

The poor that cash welfare checks and whine about how horrible their lives are and do nothing to make it better other than demand more freebie, do not work hard.

The poor that refuse to take a job because it doesn't pay enough and they would rather cash their unemployment check than take a job making $2 less an hour than they did at their last job, do not work hard.

And you are the one that made the connection between my use of the word "hard" in relation to the poor and your statement that steel workers are hard workers.

duane1969
11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
And every pay period I have money taken out of my check and given away to people overseas who don't want american troops over there but are glad to spend american money. If I'm going to have my money taken away to help someone I would rather it go to someone in my own community who would appreciate it.

You are preaching to the choir now. As far as I am concerned, until we fix our own problems all foreign aid needs to stop.

habsheaven
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, I will retract my general statement that "the poor don't".

Let me clarify.

The poor that cash welfare checks and whine about how horrible their lives are and do nothing to make it better other than demand more freebie, do not work hard.

The poor that refuse to take a job because it doesn't pay enough and they would rather cash their unemployment check than take a job making $2 less an hour than they did at their last job, do not work hard.

And you are the one that made the connection between my use of the word "hard" in relation to the poor and your statement that steel workers are hard workers.

Glad you clarified it. My main objection was the fact I grew up fairly poor. My parents both worked long hours and at times multiple jobs each. I know people now that work 2 jobs and make far less than myself. My experience has taught me that the common denominator for most poor people is education (or a lack thereof), not the degree of how hard they work.

And I do not think I made any statement about steel workers. If I did, I obviously need a break because I do not remember it. lol

duane1969
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Glad you clarified it. My main objection was the fact I grew up fairly poor. My parents both worked long hours and at times multiple jobs each. I know people now that work 2 jobs and make far less than myself. My experience has taught me that the common denominator for most poor people is education (or a lack thereof), not the degree of how hard they work.

And I do not think I made any statement about steel workers. If I did, I obviously need a break because I do not remember it. lol

I grew up poor too. My dad worked 60+ hour weeks his entire life for mininmal earnings. My mom was a factory worker. When times got hard during the 80's my mom sold Avon just to make an additional $15 a week. At 14 I took a summer job and helped pay for my school clothes because I knew my parents were struggling just to keep the bills paid and food on the table.

When I "generalize" about the poor I am always speaking about those who do nothing to make their lives better. The working poor do not fit in that category for me. I am speaking about the career welfare recipients, the mother of 8 kids who refuses to use birth control and expects the government to keep providing for her no matter how many more kids she has, the person who ate themselves into obesity and now draws a government check because the doctor says that they are too fat to work. Those people disgust me and I consider them to be leeches on society.

mrveggieman
11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I grew up poor too. My dad worked 60+ hour weeks his entire life for mininmal earnings. My mom was a factory worker. When times got hard during the 80's my mom sold Avon just to make an additional $15 a week. At 14 I took a summer job and helped pay for my school clothes because I knew my parents were struggling just to keep the bills paid and food on the table.

When I "generalize" about the poor I am always speaking about those who do nothing to make their lives better. The working poor do not fit in that category for me. I am speaking about the career welfare recipients, the mother of 8 kids who refuses to use birth control and expects the government to keep providing for her no matter how many more kids she has, the person who ate themselves into obesity and now draws a government check because the doctor says that they are too fat to work. Those people disgust me and I consider them to be leeches on society.

You might be on to something here. I am a huge proponent of welfare reform. If you want our welfare money you must submit to drug/alcohol screenings as well as be required to attending manditory classes and maintain a minimum GPA. You don't want the gov't all in your business and telling you what to do? Fine, no one will force you to take our tax dollars.

Hilfiger1975
11-10-2011, 03:40 PM

FYI I have seen both sides of the tracks and I would guess that I have been much more poor than you would ever dream of. My son's first Christmas my wife and I had $5 to spend. That was it. $5. We bought him a toy truck from the dollar store and then we were broke. To this day it pains me to think of how little I was able to give to him when he was growing up.

My wife and I used to buy a couple of pairs of $3 sweat pants from the dollar store and share them because that was all we could afford. For 2.5 years we walked everywhere because we didn't have a car and even if we did have one we couldn't afford gas or insurance.

You know what I did about it? I worked HARD. I went to college full-time while working a 40 hour a week job and being a dad to three kids and a husband. 16-18 hour days were the norm. I busted my hump and fought tooth and nail to get where I am. So excuse me if I don't buy into this whole crap that liberals keep spewing about their version of the American Dream.

I guess we could compare being poor notes, but i assure you we could talk for days about it. I'm glad to see that you have risen to where you have gotten...i personally don't have a problem with your views, but there is A LOT of people that look at America from the same point of view and have never dealt with both sides before...

Hilfiger1975
11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
You are preaching to the choir now. As far as I am concerned, until we fix our own problems all foreign aid needs to stop.
:love0030:

andrewhoya
11-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Ron Paul! :cheer2:

Hilfiger1975
11-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Ron Paul! :cheer2:
You wish...America has been doing this forever...Ron Paul is not going to stop it...

duwal
11-10-2011, 05:29 PM

its not that the poor do not work just as hard as the rich, its just that they are for the most part less educated than the rich and don't know how to take advantage of what they are capable of to the maximum

duane1969
11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
its not that the poor do not work just as hard as the rich, its just that they are for the most part less educated than the rich and don't know how to take advantage of what they are capable of to the maximum

I don't disagree with that at all. Some of the smartest people I have known were uneducated and lower class. They just lacked the "book learning" to take it to the next level.

MadMan1978
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
either way or which side you are on I dont really care...

however, If Memory serves me well...As part of the deal for the deregulation of the cable companies they have certain things that they need to be agreed to...I am thinking this was one of them...

I have no objections to this one way or another....and i dont care who paying for it...
Internet has become a very strong useful tool for a large number of things...like red this post to begin with....

Seems to be the people who are making the largest noise on this are those who are not going to be able to get this special rate...

Do you complain when the elderly couple down the street receive a special phone rate? Or when they receive a special discount rate on electric power or heating? I see no difference here...this is augement their education and yes I am sure being KIDS they will abuse the privilege....

Hilfiger1975
11-11-2011, 03:15 PM
either way or which side you are on I dont really care...

however, If Memory serves me well...As part of the deal for the deregulation of the cable companies they have certain things that they need to be agreed to...I am thinking this was one of them...

I have no objections to this one way or another....and i dont care who paying for it...
Internet has become a very strong useful tool for a large number of things...like red this post to begin with....

Seems to be the people who are making the largest noise on this are those who are not going to be able to get this special rate...

Do you complain when the elderly couple down the street receive a special phone rate? Or when they receive a special discount rate on electric power or heating? I see no difference here...this is augement their education and yes I am sure being KIDS they will abuse the privilege....
You're a Steelers fan, but i loved your opinion! :love0030:

MadMan1978
11-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Tomorrow or wait till Monday since the holiday weekend....

You should thank a few liberals for setting the tome in this country to be sure you were able to do just that....

you get a pat on the back for doing a good job Dane...but i did the same thing...took 6 classes my Sr Year was married...have 2 kids at home...and the "wife" -(now an ex wife)...couldnt work...we didnt have anything...Her Parents gave us a gift of 4,000 when I Finished school....

and honest I needed the internet and didnt have it... used it at school...

I should add I went to a Community College for 2 years then a Private School for the last 2 years...

tylermckinzie
11-12-2011, 07:55 AM
1. I think most people tend to miss the point the internet is for the kids and education purposes (at least the discount is targeting them). Sure adults will use it, but that's not the reason they get it for $9.99. As a teacher of middle school students, there is no doubt I see a difference in students who have access and students who do not. All of our textbooks and lessons have additional resources online and a lot of our projects and writing topics require research.

2. In my opinion, the arguments here about supporting based on how it is paid for is shortsighted. Republicans are ok with the program if it's privately funded by the corporation and not subsidized by the government. Wake up to the fact that if you see a corporation paying for this it's because you've already paid for the program, just not by taxes. They've bent you over and made enough of a profit that they can hand out 50,000 $10 broadband accounts because all of their toplevel employees have enough toys in the garage. Truth be told, if this is subsidized by the government it's probably costing you less than if it's being paid for by the company. The company sure isn't looking to lose money, they'll pass the cost on for sure.

duane1969
11-12-2011, 01:40 PM
1. I think most people tend to miss the point the internet is for the kids and education purposes (at least the discount is targeting them). Sure adults will use it, but that's not the reason they get it for $9.99. As a teacher of middle school students, there is no doubt I see a difference in students who have access and students who do not. All of our textbooks and lessons have additional resources online and a lot of our projects and writing topics require research.

2. In my opinion, the arguments here about supporting based on how it is paid for is shortsighted. Republicans are ok with the program if it's privately funded by the corporation and not subsidized by the government. Wake up to the fact that if you see a corporation paying for this it's because you've already paid for the program, just not by taxes. They've bent you over and made enough of a profit that they can hand out 50,000 $10 broadband accounts because all of their toplevel employees have enough toys in the garage. Truth be told, if this is subsidized by the government it's probably costing you less than if it's being paid for by the company. The company sure isn't looking to lose money, they'll pass the cost on for sure.

1. I get that. I am just not stupid enough to believe that the discount internet will be used primarily for education. I am an educator and a father of 3 and I can tell you that most teachers simply do not give homework anymore. This may not be the case in all areas but around here the only "homework" my kids ever have is studying for a test, and they don't need the internet for that.

The last time my daughter (10th grade) needed the internet for school work was to look up and print pictures for a science fair contest in the 7th grade and it was voluntary, not required.

I would be willing to bet that for every 1 hour of educational use there will be 10-20 hours of use for Facebook, email, on-line chatting, on-line gaming, porn, etc.

2. Which is my true beef. However I am sure that even tho they have already made enough to afford doing it does not mean that they will not still find a way to pass the overhead on to consumers or tax payers. No company ever willingly accepts a financial loss, they always look for a way to recover it (higher rates) or write it off (tax break).

andrewhoya
11-12-2011, 04:33 PM
1. I get that. I am just not stupid enough to believe that the discount internet will be used primarily for education. I am an educator and a father of 3 and I can tell you that most teachers simply do not give homework anymore. This may not be the case in all areas but around here the only "homework" my kids ever have is studying for a test, and they don't need the internet for that.

How does your county rank education wise? One of the best? I have about 3 hours of HW every night, but our school is number 112 in the nation.

tylermckinzie
11-12-2011, 04:49 PM

The last time my daughter (10th grade) needed the internet for school work was to look up and print pictures for a science fair contest in the 7th grade and it was voluntary, not required.I would be willing to bet that for every 1 hour of educational use there will be 10-20 hours of use for Facebook, email, on-line chatting, on-line gaming, porn, etc.

2. Which is my true beef. However I am sure that even tho they have already made enough to afford doing it does not mean that they will not still find a way to pass the overhead on to consumers or tax payers. No company ever willingly accepts a financial loss, they always look for a way to recover it (higher rates) or write it off (tax break).

Wow.... I am a bit speechless at that. Pretty standard to have an hour most nights and two hours once in ahwile, not just in my room but in most rooms at my school, and most all of it can be supplemented by online activity. I get phone calls about once a month when a student has internet issues and connect complete a task. Very rarely do I even use textbooks any longer.

Hilfiger1975
11-12-2011, 06:03 PM
My children have homework damn near EVERY NIGHT, period...(8 and 11 years old)

duane1969
11-13-2011, 01:33 PM
How does your county rank education wise? One of the best? I have about 3 hours of HW every night, but our school is number 112 in the nation.

Our schools do not rank anywhere nearly that high. One elementary in our county was ranked #2 in the state (shout out to my wife, the principal).

As a whole I would say that our county is one of the top 10 or so out of 55 counties, but considering WV is ranked something like 48th in the nation that isn't saying much.

Wow.... I am a bit speechless at that. Pretty standard to have an hour most nights and two hours once in ahwile, not just in my room but in most rooms at my school, and most all of it can be supplemented by online activity. I get phone calls about once a month when a student has internet issues and connect complete a task. Very rarely do I even use textbooks any longer.

The original goal of our county's 1:1 netbook initiative was to make textbooks obsolete. Thanks to backwards thinking teachers that hasn't happened. Most teachers have balked at using netbooks for instruction purposes and a handful have outright refused to adapt to 21st Century Learning.

----------------------------------------

Perhaps I am off-base here. It would seem that we may be behind the times in internet usage for learning as a homework tool.

I should add that our county has nearly achieved a 1:1 ratio of computers to students in the school system. At the secondary level there are actually more computers than students. The school that I teach at has a student population of around 250. In the school we have 3 computer labs with 30 computers per lab plus no less than 4 computers per classroom for student use, giving us approxiamtely 160 computers in the school.

Students are given ample time in the day to use computers for doing their work which reduces the need for internet access at home. Perhaps that is where the difference occurs.

andrewhoya
11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Our schools do not rank anywhere nearly that high. One elementary in our county was ranked #2 in the state (shout out to my wife, the principal).

As a whole I would say that our county is one of the top 10 or so out of 55 counties, but considering WV is ranked something like 48th in the nation that isn't saying much.

The original goal of our county's 1:1 netbook initiative was to make textbooks obsolete. Thanks to backwards thinking teachers that hasn't happened. Most teachers have balked at using netbooks for instruction purposes and a handful have outright refused to adapt to 21st Century Learning.

----------------------------------------

Perhaps I am off-base here. It would seem that we may be behind the times in internet usage for learning as a homework tool.

I should add that our county has nearly achieved a 1:1 ratio of computers to students in the school system. At the secondary level there are actually more computers than students. The school that I teach at has a student population of around 250. In the school we have 3 computer labs with 30 computers per lab plus no less than 4 computers per classroom for student use, giving us approxiamtely 160 computers in the school.

Students are given ample time in the day to use computers for doing their work which reduces the need for internet access at home. Perhaps that is where the difference occurs.

We have 7 labs in our school, plus 6 laptop carts. We also have 90 minutes every other day to do work.

duane1969
11-13-2011, 04:50 PM
We have 7 labs in our school, plus 6 laptop carts. We also have 90 minutes every other day to do work.

How big is the school population?

Our largest school has a population of around 1100. They have 6 labs, 3 or 4 carts, 4 or more computers in every classroom, plus the entire 9th and 10th grade has their own netbooks.

In 2 years every high school student in the county will have their own netbook plus all of the labs, classroom computers and carts.

andrewhoya
11-13-2011, 07:11 PM
How big is the school population?

Our largest school has a population of around 1100. They have 6 labs, 3 or 4 carts, 4 or more computers in every classroom, plus the entire 9th and 10th grade has their own netbooks.

In 2 years every high school student in the county will have their own netbook plus all of the labs, classroom computers and carts.

Our population is around 1500.

95% of the students at my school have 3+ computers in their house, according to a school survey. 99.7% have at least 1. Granted, we live in the richest county in America.

They were thinking of getting everyone a Kindle to replace textbooks.

duane1969
11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Our population is around 1500.

95% of the students at my school have 3+ computers in their house, according to a school survey. 99.7% have at least 1. Granted, we live in the richest county in America.

They were thinking of getting everyone a Kindle to replace textbooks.

Holy cow! An avergae of 3 per household?!! Not that I can say much...we have 7 in mine LOL. Technically only 6 since my server isn't exactly a PC but it is still a computer...

andrewhoya
11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Holy cow! An avergae of 3 per household?!! Not that I can say much...we have 7 in mine LOL. Technically only 6 since my server isn't exactly a PC but it is still a computer...

As you can guess, my county looooooooves to shop. :): The same survey revealed that each household had an average of 6.3 (give or take .5, cant remember this one...) of the following devices: Gaming Consoles, Smartphones/Iphones, and Tablets/Ipads.

Another thing is that there are a lot of big families around here. We have 5 kids.