PDA

View Full Version : The US is the greatest nation in the world and better than Canada thread

theonedru
11-14-2011, 04:33 PM
With all the arguments on healthcare and how it is crippling Canada, and how the US is way ahead of Canada in many things, well lets have a fact finding discussion, no arguments of what if or self opinions you want to say something here then back your facts up with something or just don't bother. Here is what I have found so far to squash many peoples opinion of our neighbors to the North

These words quoted below were taken from a report written by Tye W. Burt

The first pillar of Canada’s competitive edge is our underlying economic strength. We’ve come out of the deepest recession in 60 years in better shape than any of our G7 partners. Our economy has regained all the jobs that were lost in the 2008 recession, and then some, creating 500,000 new jobs, even while 7 million jobs lost in the US have not come back. On the Gallup Global Wellbeing index, which measures how a country’s citizens rate their quality of life, Canada ranks in the world’s top 10, scoring a 62, while the US checks in at 57. Significantly, these numbers match the employment rate in each country. Our deficit and debt are by far the lowest in the G7. Our current deficit of less than 3 percent of GDP compares to 11 percent south of the border. And assuming the budget balances in 2015, the federal debt will be only 30 percent of GDP, compared to a G7 average of close to 90 percent. The US debt is now $14.3 trillion, and is forecast to reach close to 100 percent of its GDP next year.

Canada’s average corporate tax rate of 25 percent compares very favourably
to 40 percent in the US.

for the third year in a row, the World Economic Forum ranks the Canadian banking system as the best in the world, ahead of Switzerland.

The world’s leaders don’t lie awake at night worrying about Canadian threats to their sovereignty. That perceived lack of any larger economic or geopolitical agenda gives Canada an advantage over economic superpowers like China or the US. It helps to increase trust with host governments,
and makes Canadian investors and Canadian companies more welcome around the world.

The second pillar of the Canadian edge is our rich resource endowment, and the expertise we’ve built around it. In terms of world population, Canada ranks 36th. But we are number one in the world in the production of uranium and potash; number two in nickel and cobalt; number three in aluminum and platinum group metals; number five in diamonds and zinc; number six in oil; number eight in gold and copper; and number nine in iron ore. Importantly, we are number three in freshwater supply.

these are a few good things to mull over for a start

freethrowtommy
11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I like Canada and I have no problem seeing that they are headed in a much better direction than the US.

Hilfiger1975
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
OMG, here we go...LOL...Canada is better than the US in MANY ways, though...

theonedru
11-14-2011, 07:15 PM
OMG, here we go...LOL...Canada is better than the US in MANY ways, though...

I have to agree as much as some people mutter about the greatness of the US over canada it seems that numbers say otherwise.

habsheaven
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
I have no problem with Americans feeling they live in the greatest country on Earth. I feel the same way about Canada, and I know a few Scandanavians and even Russians that feel the same about their countries. My problem is with the Americans on here that can't see anything beyond their borders. The OPs quoted post states many ways that Canada is a leader, but I am sure America ranks right up there in many other ways.

And don't forget we also supply the world with the best hockey players, comedians and singers.

OBOMBA
11-14-2011, 09:07 PM
another over patriotic american.... even france is a better place to live then america, plus americas murder rate is absurd. you are not even relatively close to canada

duane1969
11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I have no problem with Americans feeling they live in the greatest country on Earth. I feel the same way about Canada, and I know a few Scandanavians and even Russians that feel the same about their countries. My problem is with the Americans on here that can't see anything beyond their borders. The OPs quoted post states many ways that Canada is a leader, but I am sure America ranks right up there in many other ways.

And don't forget we also supply the world with the best hockey players, comedians and singers.

I am sure that is directed at me and I am fine with that. I have no issue with Canada and know that they have plenty that they are better than us at.

-------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on the issue are as simple as this. If for some reason the US and Canada suddenly broke all ties and trade agreements and ceased to be military friends I don't see the US getting the short end of the stick. Sure it would hurt us but I just don't see how America would topple and Canada would reign supreme as a result.

I also have no doubt that Canada would be just fine.

The only instance in which I think that Canada would be "hurt" is in military issues. Canada is 25th in world military ranking and has just 114,000 active and reserve troops. http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Canada

They have 200 tanks (43rd in the world), 150 artillery units (37th), 800 mortars (28th) and 34 anti-aircraft units (53rd).

Their navy consist almost entirely of coastal patrol boats with no aircraft carriers, just 3 destroyers and just 4 submarines.

They have 544 total military aircraft. I don't know how that breaks down but I know that that number ranks them just the 30th in the world in total military aircraft.

Additionally NORAD would no longer be available to Canada. It is monitored and commanded from American bases. So their air defense system would be severely depleted as would their early warning system for incoming missile strikes. I am sure they would put the radar stations to use but with no major air defense capabilities it would be kind of moot.

I am not suggesting that Canada is helpless in any way. They have defensive capalbilities, no doubt. But if a major military power like Russia or China decided they wanted to conquer Canada I don't think it would be much of a fight, and Russia is constantly testing Canada's northern defenses already.

duane1969
11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
another over patriotic american.... even france is a better place to live then america, plus americas murder rate is absurd. you are not even relatively close to canada

Have you lived either place?

Hilfiger1975
11-14-2011, 09:21 PM
I am sure that is directed at me and I am fine with that. I have no issue with Canada and know that they have plenty that they are better than us at.

-------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on the issue are as simple as this. If for some reason the US and Canada suddenly broke all ties and trade agreements and ceased to be military friends I don't see the US getting the short end of the stick. Sure it would hurt us but I just don't see how America would topple and Canada would reign supreme as a result.

I also have no doubt that Canada would be just fine.

The only instance in which I think that Canada would be "hurt" is in military issues. Canada is 25th in world military ranking and has just 114,000 active and reserve troops. http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Canada

They have 200 tanks (43rd in the world), 150 artillery units (37th), 800 mortars (28th) and 34 anti-aircraft units (53rd).

Their navy consist almost entirely of coastal patrol boats with no aircraft carriers, just 3 destroyers and just 4 submarines.

They have 544 total military aircraft. I don't know how that breaks down but I know that that number ranks them just the 30th in the world in total military aircraft.

Additionally NORAD would no longer be available to Canada. It is monitored and commanded from American bases. So their air defense system would be severely depleted as would their early warning system for incoming missile strikes. I am sure they would put the radar stations to use but with no major air defense capabilities it would be kind of moot.

I am not suggesting that Canada is helpless in any way. They have defensive capalbilities, no doubt. But if a major military power like Russia or China decided they wanted to conquer Canada I don't think it would be much of a fight, and Russia is constantly testing Canada's northern defenses already.
Did you ever read about the Roman Empire?

Theodor Madison
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
All I can say! Go to where you like Best.

duane1969
11-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Did you ever read about the Roman Empire?

I am a history buff. I am well aware of their successes and the reasons for their failure.

Did you ever read about the great military that all of the countries that the Roman Empire conquered had?

pghin08
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Am I allowed to love both countries?

Hilfiger1975
11-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I am a history buff. I am well aware of their successes and the reasons for their failure.

Did you ever read about the great military that all of the countries that the Roman Empire conquered had?
You ever watched a video called, "why we fight?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436971/

Watch it...

Hilfiger1975
11-14-2011, 09:34 PM
No! And which ever one you choose it has to be bias and show ridiculous websites to back your logic...:winking0071:

duane1969
11-14-2011, 09:37 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!! :fighting0056:

Dude, I have been to Canada and it was just like the US except everybody had a funny accent (and I am from WV LOL).

I have wanted to go hunting there every since I was a kid and have always said that if I win the lottery I am buying a big farm in Alberta and living there in the summer and fall. I have nothing against Canada, even if Habs does live there :)

habsheaven
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM

I do. Don't see why you can't too.

duane1969
11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
No! And which ever one you choose it has to be bias and show ridiculous websites to back your logic...:winking0071:

Aww come on. Ridiculous website? That data is pulled from the CIA, not some conservative biased website that you guys like to whine about...

And my "logic" is facts...so not really logic. If I am wrong and Canada is a military beast please provide your own ridiculous website to prove me wrong.

Hilfiger1975
11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Aww come on. Ridiculous website? That data is pulled from the CIA, not some conservative biased website that you guys like to whine about...

And my "logic" is facts...so not really logic. If I am wrong and Canada is a military beast please provide your own ridiculous website to prove me wrong.
The comment wasn't directed at you more the general forum users...

The CIA? LOL. Don't they lie and hide things on a daily basis? That's like taking facts from the government to be honest...LOL...

Calm down there trigger...:winking0071:

OBOMBA
11-14-2011, 10:16 PM

The CIA? LOL. Don't they lie and hide things on a daily basis? That's like taking facts from the government to be honest...LOL...

:thumb:

duane1969
11-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Only if the President tells them too ;) :scared0012:

theonedru
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM

Ok this is the post where this thread fell apart. what you stated is a PERSONAL OPINION, I said if posting here provide FACTS.

Its disgusting how fast threads fall apart.

Hilfiger1975
11-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Only if the President tells them too ;) :scared0012:
:winking0071:

OBOMBA
11-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Ok this is the post where this thread fell apart. what you stated is a PERSONAL OPINION, I said if posting here provide FACTS.

Its disgusting how fast threads fall apart.
france free health care and post secondary education plus the murder rate in 2008(cant find 2011) was at 1.3 , canadas at 1.67 and usas at 5.22

duane1969
11-15-2011, 08:31 AM
france free health care and post secondary education plus the murder rate in 2008(cant find 2011) was at 1.3 , canadas at 1.67 and usas at 5.22

Agreed. The US murder rate is way higher than it should be. We also have a much more significant problem with drugs than they do which is one of the primary reasons we have a high murder rate.

----------------------------------------------------

France's health care is not "free". Citizens pay for health services at the point of service and the government reimburses citizens for their health care cost with the average citizen getting back about 70-80%. My insurance pays 80% so that is about equal in both places.

In France people who qualify as low-income get free health care. In the U.S. people who qualify as low-income get free health care called Medicaid. Push.

Post-secondary education is free in France although the common complaint is that colleges are over-crowded and under-funded. Also they have practically no degree opportunities beyond a bachelor's degree so many French students seeking higher levels of degrees usually end up coming to the US for those.

Additionally, the colleges in France are considered decent to good, not great. There is no post-secondary education option that is on-par with a US Ivy league college. If a French person desires a top-notch college education they must go to another country to get it.

pghin08
11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Agreed. The US murder rate is way higher than it should be. We also have a much more significant problem with drugs than they do which is one of the primary reasons we have a high murder rate.

----------------------------------------------------

France's health care is not "free". Citizens pay for health services at the point of service and the government reimburses citizens for their health care cost with the average citizen getting back about 70-80%. My insurance pays 80% so that is about equal in both places.

In France people who qualify as low-income get free health care. In the U.S. people who qualify as low-income get free health care called Medicaid. Push.

Post-secondary education is free in France although the common complaint is that colleges are over-crowded and under-funded. Also they have practically no degree opportunities beyond a bachelor's degree so many French students seeking higher levels of degrees usually end up coming to the US for those.

Additionally, the colleges in France are considered decent to good, not great. There is no post-secondary education option that is on-par with a US Ivy league college. If a French person desires a top-notch college education they must go to another country to get it.

It's that way in most countries, and it's something the US needs to be capitalizing on. We've got amazing universities that people come from around the world to go to. But then after they get their degrees, they go to India/China/wherever. We need to keep the brightest minds here in the US.

TheTGB
11-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I love both the US and Canada. I may actually move to Canada one day if I continue to not be able to find a decent job in a couple years. Helps my fiance has dual citizenship :P

AUTaxMan
11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
If Canada were worth invading, we would have done it by now. Thanks for the ice and the beer. You can keep hockey and Rush.

sanfran22
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Couple things.....
Canada drills for their resources, we really don't.

Canada's healthcare system has been labeled unsustainable by a lot of people. Just check out what the IMF alone says about it. That means a few things. Higher taxes, less coverage or gasp....rationing. Also, Canada and the US pay the same percent of GDP toward healthcare. Which goes back to the we should tweak the system then destroy it.

Canada's corp tax rates are lower then the US. That goes against the libs cry for higher corp taxes (as well as several on this site)

Canada is doing decent because we still buy most of their stuff.

Canada has higher taxes then the US.

Goods cost more in Canada then the US. are they making that much more money?

That's just a few, There are many more. I do like Canada and find it interesting that they have gone pretty conservatively recently. I will be up there spending some good ol' greenbacks in a few weeks either way:)

pghin08
11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
If Canada were worth invading, we would have done it by now. Thanks for the ice and the beer. You can keep hockey and Rush.

Pretty sure you meant they could keep Bryan Adams. Hockey and Rush are awesome.

Additionally, Canada, thanks for poutine, The Guess Who, The Weakerthans, Propagandhi and Tim Horton's.

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Pretty sure you meant they could keep Bryan Adams. Hockey and Rush are awesome.

Additionally, Canada, thanks for poutine, The Guess Who, The Weakerthans, Propagandhi and Tim Horton's.
No! Keep Bryan Adams and give them back Rush! :winking0071:

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Says a lot about America, huh?

theonedru
11-15-2011, 07:22 PM

What does this have to do with the OT? Why people contstantly chime in with garbage content like this is getting almost as annoying as almost every P&R topic going off topic a million different ways.

habsheaven
11-15-2011, 07:47 PM
What does this have to do with the OT? Why people contstantly chime in with garbage content like this is getting almost as annoying as almost every P&R topic going off topic a million different ways.

It's his way to express his opinion of Canada without having to offer any facts. At least Duane tries. lol