PDA

View Full Version : Controversy over Tim Tebow customized jerseys

mrveggieman
11-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Get a load of this. People are odering customized Tim Tebow jerseys and replacing Tebow's name with the name Jesus. I knew that it was a matter of time before they try this. I wonder when someone will come out and replace Tebow's name with Muhammad or Buddah.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/tebow-custom-jerseys-create-hullabaloo

gladdyontherise
11-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Now if the back of that Jersey said Allah, there would be more uproar about this probably...

It's not doing anything "wrong" in my opinion, its more of a double standard thing as far as acceptance

duane1969
11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Most Broncos fans already think that he is the second coming of God. Why not Jesus too?

freethrowtommy
11-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I find it hard not to like Tebow. He is a religious dude, but doesn't preach it. He doesn't get into trouble off the field and puts in 100% on the field. He is a college legend and will go down as one of the greatest college players ever.

That said, he isn't a very polished NFL player and has a long way to go. But the Lions bashing on him with the "Tebowing" thing was a dick move (not that I expect class from that team, but that is another issue). You can hate his game, but I hardly can find a reason to hate the person or his beliefs.

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Most Broncos fans already think that he is the second coming of God. Why not Jesus too?
Well considering there isn't much to be happy about or look promising in Denver he pretty much is to be honest...LOL...he gives the fans in Denver a reason to come to the stadium...

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 09:27 PM
i find it hard not to like tebow. He is a religious dude, but doesn't preach it. He doesn't get into trouble off the field and puts in 100% on the field. He is a college legend and will go down as one of the greatest college players ever.

That said, he isn't a very polished nfl player and has a long way to go. But the lions bashing on him with the "tebowing" thing was a dick move (not that i expect class from that team, but that is another issue). You can hate his game, but i hardly can find a reason to hate the person or his beliefs.
+1

gatorboymike
11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Instead of "Jesus," they should order "Malachi 2:3" on the back of Tebow jerseys.

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Instead of "Jesus," they should order "Malachi 2:3" on the back of Tebow jerseys.
That's pretty funny...

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 10:28 PM
That's pretty funny...
/sarcasm

gatorboymike
11-15-2011, 10:34 PM
/sarcasm

Maybe you'd prefer "Isaiah 13:15-16" or "Numbers 31:17-18." I know that's the kind of stuff I think about when I hear Tim Tebow's name.

/condemnation

Hilfiger1975
11-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Maybe you'd prefer "Isaiah 13:15-16" or "Numbers 31:17-18." I know that's the kind of stuff I think about when I hear Tim Tebow's name.

/condemnation
:twitch:

dherm360
11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
maybe everyone that is doing it is of Hispanic decent and it is the first name---Jesus

C'mon, its a custom jersey, you can put anything you want on it, I saw a Vikings jersey last night with Bongwater and the number 69--classy I know, but its custom made, who cares

AUTaxMan
11-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Oh, the humanity! It's a name on a shirt.

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 08:11 AM
I find it hard not to like Tebow. He is a religious dude, but doesn't preach it. He doesn't get into trouble off the field and puts in 100% on the field. He is a college legend and will go down as one of the greatest college players ever.

That said, he isn't a very polished NFL player and has a long way to go. But the Lions bashing on him with the "Tebowing" thing was a dick move (not that I expect class from that team, but that is another issue). You can hate his game, but I hardly can find a reason to hate the person or his beliefs.

He ALWAYS preaches it.

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 08:51 AM
He ALWAYS preaches it.
Would you rather have him get picked up on a DUI?

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I like Tebow as a person. He does preach his religion but the difference between him and someone like Falwell, Pat Robertson or everyone's favorite preacher turned politician Herman Cain he dosen't preach at anyone nor does he spew hate. He is an example to anyone regardless of their religious preference on how to carry oneself if you want to convert others.

Star_Cards
11-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I like it!!!

wait... why is this a controversy?

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I like it!!!

wait... why is this a controversy?

Because Tebow is not as extreme and conservative as the right wingers would like him to be. :winking0071:

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Because Tebow is not as extreme and conservative as the right wingers would like him to be. :winking0071:

He's pretty conservative if you knew anything about him.

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
He's pretty conservative if you knew anything about him.

He is still not as conservative as some of you would like. And yes I do know about Tebow.

duane1969
11-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Actually, if you read the article, it appears that it is the Christians or "right-wingers" that are upset...

And from what I can tell, they are not upset with Tebow.

ensbergcollector
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM

and again you speak with zero knowledge. many christians take issue with anyone being compared to jesus. that is the only issue here

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Actually, if you read the article, it appears that it is the Christians or "right-wingers" that are upset...

And from what I can tell, they are not upset with Tebow.

Yes I read the article. IMO people are not upset with Tebow per se they are upset with they percieve him to be. We can all agreee that there a lot of religious extremists who give all religions a bad name. Bin Laden, Fallwell, Robertson, Cain are a few examples. When some non christians thinks of christanity the first thing that comes to mind is christian extremism and the formention extremists with the exception of bin laden. They are guility of what a lot of people like to do (especially on this site) is lumping a large group of people together because of the actions of a small minority. From what I know about Tebow and living in the south for the past several years I have had a chance to follow his career and know a little bit about him is that he seems to be a good guy who is God fearing, does the right thing and stays out of trouble. There are some extreme christians who would love to see Tebow go on a tirade spewing hatred and venom just like any other right wing nut so they would feel better about all of the hatred that is eating away in their heart. Just like there are a lot of anti-religious people who want to see tebow spew hate so it can rationalize their hatred of all things religious.

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 11:29 AM
and again you speak with zero knowledge. many christians take issue with anyone being compared to jesus. that is the only issue here

Yes I am aware of that. Christians and believe it or not muslims would take putting the name Jesus on a jersey and comparing him to a mere football player to him as an act of blasphemy.

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 11:30 AM

That's the way I took it as well...

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes I read the article. IMO people are not upset with Tebow per se they are upset with they percieve him to be. We can all agreee that there a lot of religious extremists who give all religions a bad name. Bin Laden, Fallwell, Robertson, Cain are a few examples. When some non christians thinks of christanity the first thing that comes to mind is christian extremism and the formention extremists with the exception of bin laden. They are guility of what a lot of people like to do (especially on this site) is lumping a large group of people together because of the actions of a small minority. From what I know about Tebow and living in the south for the past several years I have had a chance to follow his career and know a little bit about him is that he seems to be a good guy who is God fearing, does the right thing and stays out of trouble. There are some extreme christians who would love to see Tebow go on a tirade spewing hatred and venom just like any other right wing nut so they would feel better about all of the hatred that is eating away in their heart. Just like there are a lot of anti-religious people who want to see tebow spew hate so it can rationalize their hatred of all things religious.
Lol, You realize Tebow did some work with James Dobson"s focus on the family. I believe you had some negative comments about the Dobson family in the past.....Maybe you don't know timmy like you think.

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Lol, You realize Tebow did some work with James Dobson"s focus on the family. I believe you had some negative comments about the Dobson family in the past.....Maybe you don't know timmy like you think.

What comments did I make on Dobson? Please post. I am aware that Tebow spoke out against abortion. I am also against abortion. It dosen't make me one of ya'll. I'm sure that tebow dosen't agree with everything that your right wing religious leaders say.

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
What comments did I make on Dobson? Please post. I am aware that Tebow spoke out against abortion. I am also against abortion. It dosen't make me one of ya'll. I'm sure that tebow dosen't agree with everything that your right wing religious leaders say.

Look up your rick warren comments. There was another but I didn't feel like searching the massive posts that came up. Nice blanket statement, which right wing leaders are we referring to that I follow? You have proven many a time you are not one of us all....

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Look up your rick warren comments. There was another but I didn't feel like searching the massive posts that came up. Nice blanket statement, which right wing leaders are we referring to that I follow? You have proven many a time you are not one of us all....

Rick Warren?? I posted the comment that I like Rick Warren. I posted the link to one of his speeches where he was working with muslims. Try again please.

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Rick Warren?? I posted the comment that I like Rick Warren. I posted the link to one of his speeches where he was working with muslims. Try again please.

Go back and read your posts....your referenced the Dobson family. I understand you talk out of both sides of your mouth so you probably wouldn't remember....Maybe you should just let it go.

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Go back and read your posts....your referenced the Dobson family. I understand you talk out of both sides of your mouth so you probably wouldn't remember....Maybe you should just let it go.

So just because I don't blindly follow any particular party or group and I see both sides of the argument I talk out of both sides of my mouth? That comment really says alot about your mentality my dearest friend. :winking0071:

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Would you rather have him get picked up on a DUI?

What relevance does asking me this based on my previous response have to do with anything?

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
He ALWAYS preaches it.

What relevance does asking me this based on my previous response have to do with anything?
This one...it seems people love the athletes that get picked up for DUI and etc, but when there is actually an athlete that does the right thing and DOES stay out of trouble he still get's criticized for it...

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
This one...it seems people love the athletes that get picked up for DUI and etc, but when there is actually an athlete that does the right thing and DOES stay out of trouble he still get's criticized for it...

I wasn't being critical at all, actually. I was correcting the person who says he doesn't preach his beliefs when he does. I don't care/mind whatever his beliefs are. If he wants to belief what he wants to I have no issue with it. Just don't force it onto others.

and for someone who says don't put words into your mouth, you sure do that with others...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I wasn't being critical at all, actually. I was correcting the person who says he doesn't preach his beliefs when he does. I don't care/mind whatever his beliefs are. If he wants to belief what he wants to I have no issue with it. Just don't force it onto others.

and for someone who says don't put words into your mouth, you sure do that with others...
It bothered you enough to correct him and to think Tebow forces religion on others. Having beliefs and forcing religion on others is two completely different things. Sounds like you might be putting words in Tebow's mouth now...

A lot of people seem threatened by him having religion for some weird reason. Me myself i have no religion, period, but in America in 2011 a person should not be judged or persecuted for religion...

ensbergcollector
11-16-2011, 02:18 PM

could you clarify your statement because I don't want to comment if I misunderstood. Are you saying that because he "preaches" about his religion, he is forcing it onto others?

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 02:21 PM
could you clarify your statement because I don't want to comment if I misunderstood. Are you saying that because he "preaches" about his religion, he is forcing it onto others?

No not at all. I was simply stating he does preach what he believes in. Do I personally think he's trying to force it onto others? No, I find it annoying when he talks mainly about his beliefs after a Football game, but that's just a personal thing. I don't want to hear about his religious beliefs after a Football game, I want to hear what he's saying about the game itself.

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 02:29 PM

What does this statement mean then if it's not referring to Tebow? I'm confused or are you just back-peddling? Because you make this statement then your next post is that he's not forcing religion on others...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
No not at all. I was simply stating he does preach what he believes in. Do I personally think he's trying to force it onto others? No, I find it annoying when he talks mainly about his beliefs after a Football game, but that's just a personal thing. I don't want to hear about his religious beliefs after a Football game, I want to hear what he's saying about the game itself.
Example please?

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM
What does this statement mean then if it's not referring to Tebow? I'm confused or are you just back-peddling? Because you make this statement then your next post is that he's not forcing religion on others...

It's called making a general comment. I don't care if its Tim Tebow or the guy at the Gas Station. Believe what you want to, and I have no issue with it, but please don't force it onto others.

I think you're just looking to start an issue though at this point

Example please?

A lot of athletes do this. When asked about the game "Well, you know I have to thank god..etc etc etc" Never talk about the actual game though

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
It's called making a general comment. I don't care if its Tim Tebow or the guy at the Gas Station. Believe what you want to, and I have no issue with it, but please don't force it onto others.

A lot of athletes do this. When asked about the game "Well, you know I have to thank god..etc etc etc" Never talk about the actual game though

If I could play devil's advocate (pun intended) a lot of athletes who are not known for being overtly religious thank God/Allah/Jehova/etc after a big win. They then go on to talk about what they did in the game, fight, race, etc. I don't have a problem with that. It is when they use the name of God to spew hatred and homophobia like herman cain or pat robertson does is what I have a problem with. I have seen tebow give glory to God on many occasions but never seen him preach at or attempt to degrade anyone. If anyone has proof of him doing so please post, I'm sure that we would all love to see it.

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 02:44 PM

No, it was obviously an "issue" for you to correct some one's post you just went out of your way to say how he "always preaches it" and it obviously bothered since you posted it. The only issue was your post. As for the second part i've never seen an athlete being asked about a game and never answer the question. They might say all that stuff first or last after there statement, though. I've never seen a reporter say, "hey, how did the game go?" Then the player say, "i would like to thank god and etc, etc." and then walk away from the interview...i think you might have blow the whole thing out of proportion in my opinion...but that's what this whole "Tebow thing" is anyways...

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 02:54 PM
If I could play devil's advocate (pun intended) a lot of athletes who are not known for being overtly religious thank God/Allah/Jehova/etc after a big win. They then go on to talk about what they did in the game, fight, race, etc. I don't have a problem with that. It is when they use the name of God to spew hatred and homophobia like herman cain or pat robertson does is what I have a problem with. I have seen tebow give glory to God on many occasions but never seen him preach at or attempt to degrade anyone. If anyone has proof of him doing so please post, I'm sure that we would all love to see it.

I don't mind that, I just get tired of them never answering the question and talk about how god helped them score that basket or throw the touchdown and don't answer the original question.

No, it was obviously an "issue" for you to correct some one's post you just went out of your way to say how he "always preaches it" and it obviously bothered since you posted it. The only issue was your post. As for the second part i've never seen an athlete being asked about a game and never answer the question. They might say all that stuff first or last after there statement, though. I've never seen a reporter say, "hey, how did the game go?" Then the player say, "i would like to thank god and etc, etc." and then walk away from the interview...i think you might have blow the whole thing out of proportion in my opinion...but that's what this whole "Tebow thing" is anyways...

Man you must be a mind reader since you somehow know what i'm thinking while I am saying something different...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't mind that, I just get tired of them never answering the question and talk about how god helped them score that basket or throw the touchdown and don't answer the original question.

Man you must be a mind reader since you somehow know what i'm thinking while I am saying something different...
Nah, i just read people's words they write down from their mind...:winking0071:

P.S. I'll be expecting you to be cheering for Miguel Cabrera this year! :winking0071:

duane1969
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM

I always find that supremely irritating. Do they honestly think that God, Allah or any other deity gives a diddly about them scoring points or winning a game?

I can just see (insert deity name) sitting there saying "I could start an earthquake, smite some people with a plague or answer a few hundred thousand prayers...Nah!!!, the Browns are down by 6 points with :18 seconds left in the game, I better help them out."

:frusty:

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Nah, i just read people's words they write down from their mind...:winking0071:

P.S. I'll be expecting you to be cheering for Miguel Cabrera this year! :winking0071:

What is that suppose to mean?

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
I always find that supremely irritating. Do they honestly think that God, Allah or any other deity gives a diddly about them scoring points or winning a game?

I can just see (insert deity name) sitting there saying "I could start an earthquake, smite some people with a plague or answer a few hundred thousand prayers...Nah!!!, the Browns are down by 6 points with :18 seconds left in the game, I better help them out."

:frusty:
I think it's more giving thanks to him being healthy enough to be able to play football and giving him the strength to succeed in life...i could be wrong, though...usually prayers have more meaning then just a game...not all prayers are shallow, hopefully...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:19 PM
What is that suppose to mean?
It means that people look up to the people they should be looking down at and look down to the people they should be looking up at...

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 03:24 PM
It means that people look up to the people they should be looking down at and look down to the people they should be looking up at...

Perfect example was when sanfran22 told me that I should look up to herman cain even though we all know that we should look down at that homophobic hatemongering bigot.

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Perfect example was when sanfran22 told me that I should look up to herman cain even though we all know that we should look down at that homophobic hatemongering bigot.

Yeah, that's why he's where he is and you are where you are.....Just keep looking up to Obama though. We all know what he is........

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 03:31 PM

I don't "look up" to someone like Miggy. I CHEER for him because he's on my team, and he's one of the best at what he does. Sounds like you can't seperate the athlete from the person.

Is there a reason you feel the need to cause a problem for no reason? Or is this a general thing that goes on around these parts?

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah, that's why he's where he is and you are where you are.....Just keep looking up to Obama though. We all know what he is........

Exactly Obama has want Cain desperately wants but will never have. All the more reason to look up to President Obama.

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Exactly Obama has want Cain desperately wants but will never have. All the more reason to look up to President Obama.

Your twisted logic never ceases to amaze me. Not exactly what I said, but I guess, as usual, it went over your head.
You beat up a guy because he's accused of harassment, and says questionable things to the media. Yet you look up to a guy that talks about "typical white people", has ties to a terrorist, Has ties to a racist, Has disregard to what his constituants (sorry subjects) actually want, has a distain toward his country, panders to lobbyists ect. What's the difference?

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:39 PM
The athlete and the person are the same thing that's what few people understand that cheer for people who excel in a sport. I just find it highly ironic that you want to scrutinize Tebow for making a...

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I cheered for Barry Bonds but I didn't like him as a person. They are not the same.

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 03:44 PM
No, they really aren't. I root for my team and I root for Miguel Cabrera to do well. I don't root for him to go and drink and drive. Now, I root for him to keep up sobriety. <br />
<br />
You really don't seem...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
No, they really aren't. I root for my team and I root for Miguel Cabrera to do well. I don't root for him to go and drink and drive. Now, I root for him to keep up sobriety.

You really don't seem to understand anything I've said because you continue to put words into my mouth, something you just said yesterday to not be done to you (when it wasn't) and then make random comments looking to start a problem for whatever reason. If you have a problem with something i've actually said then bring it to me, but this is getting old, quick.
I think i've made myself clear from my last post...if you don't understand it then i'm not going to keep repeating it to you...you corrected someone's post since it was a big deal to you so i had an opinion on you correcting them. If that hurt your feelings i'm sorry...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
I cheered for Barry Bonds but I didn't like him as a person. They are not the same.
Sorry, if a guy is a tool in real life i'm not going to root for him on a field or court, sorry...because they are the same person if they are on the street or on a court/field...

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I think i've made myself clear from my last post...if you don't understand it then i'm not going to keep repeating it to you...

Whatever you say, chief.

I do love how you somehow know my opinions better than I do though. My feelings aren't hurt at all, I simply am not gonna say something dumb and get banned.

Hilfiger1975
Whatever you say, chief.
:winking0071:

sanfran22
Sorry, if a guy is a tool in real life i'm not going to root of him on a field or court, sorry...

Then you are not going to root for a lot of people.

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Especially not herman cain. :winking0071:

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:51 PM
100% correct...

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know who this guy is, but he's pretty popular around here...hehe...

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM

I love how you always prove my points. Talk out of both sides much??:winking0071:

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 03:58 PM
100% correct...

What teams do you follow?

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 04:00 PM
What teams do you follow?
Is this where we play point the bad things about my team? For your pleasure the Oakland Raiders...

sanfran22
11-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Is this where we play point the bad things about my team? For your pleasure the Oakland Raiders...

lol...not really necessary especially with that team. But I find it pretty hard to believe you don't pull for someone to help your team win......

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 04:07 PM
lol...not really necessary especially with that team. But I find it pretty hard to believe you don't pull for someone to help your team win......
Well i like certain players on the Oakland Raiders, but for example if McFadden is a tool in real life and loves to drink and drive i'm not going to scrutinize another player on another team for making religious comments after a game, either since a DUI and having religious comments after a game is a big difference...to me that's a little hypocritical...

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Let me ask the group this. If a you did not agree with a ball players religious or political beliefs would that make you root that much more against him/her? And would you take pleasure out of watching them fail on the field?

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Let me ask the group this. If a you did not agree with a ball players religious or political beliefs would that make you root that much more against him/her? And would you take pleasure out of watching them fail on the field?
You already know my answer. No...

Let's see how many people are also truthful...

mrveggieman
11-16-2011, 04:38 PM

I know that I'm going to get a lot of hate mail for this and I will answer tommorrow when I get back to work but to answer my own sub thread I will tell you about one particular athlete. I used to be a fan of brady quinn when he was in college. We all know his story all american qb drafted by cleveland in the first round in 2007. Then in 2008 there was a stroy on one of the sports channels about athletes and their political views would it cause a division in the locker room. They then showed the cleveland browns and their starting qb at the time brady quinn attending a john mccain rally. No knock against mccain but I was really steamed at quinn. After 8 years of GWB leading us straight to hell how could quinn openly go against Obama without even giving him a fair chance to change things. Ever since then I have taken a pleasure in watching quinn fall flat on his face, his career going no where fast and having to play 3rd string behind orton and every one's favorite qb tebow as well sacking him on ncaa football on playstation.

Star_Cards
11-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Sorry, if a guy is a tool in real life i'm not going to root for him on a field or court, sorry...because they are the same person if they are on the street or on a court/field...

that's not true completely. most people I root for I have no idea how they are as people. sure there's a perception but that's all it is. besides, just because bonds was a jerk to the media doesn't mean he's going around kicking kitten and stealing from orphans.

andrewhoya
11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
I know that I'm going to get a lot of hate mail for this and I will answer tommorrow when I get back to work but to answer my own sub thread I will tell you about one particular athlete. I used to be a fan of brady quinn when he was in college. We all know his story all american qb drafted by cleveland in the first round in 2007. Then in 2008 there was a stroy on one of the sports channels about athletes and their political views would it cause a division in the locker room. They then showed the cleveland browns and their starting qb at the time brady quinn attending a john mccain rally. No knock against mccain but I was really steamed at quinn. After 8 years of GWB leading us straight to hell how could quinn openly go against Obama without even giving him a fair chance to change things. Ever since then I have taken a pleasure in watching quinn fall flat on his face, his career going no where fast and having to play 3rd string behind orton and every one's favorite qb tebow as well sacking him on ncaa football on playstation.
How come YOU didn't give McCain a change to change things?

1of23
11-16-2011, 05:13 PM
It wont mean any thing in the next 2 years when he is on the practice squad

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 05:22 PM
that's not true completely. most people I root for I have no idea how they are as people. sure there's a perception but that's all it is. besides, just because bonds was a jerk to the media doesn't mean he's going around kicking kitten and stealing from orphans.
Perception and documented crimes is another thing...

As for Barry Bonds...he also cheated in baseball...

gatorboymike
11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Every single person who purchased one of these jerseys is guilty of both idolatry and blasphemy, according to their religion. And until and unless he publicly speaks out and denounces this practice and tells people to stop doing it, Timmy himself is an idolator, a blasphemer, a hypocrite AND a false prophet.

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Every single person who purchased one of these jerseys is guilty of both idolatry and blasphemy, according to their religion. And until and unless he publicly speaks out and denounces this practice and tells people to stop doing it, Timmy himself is an idolator, a blasphemer, a hypocrite AND a false prophet.
Wow, nothing like putting the blame on Tebow...this must be a trend with him, i guess...not too mention calling him a prophet was comical...

gatorboymike
11-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Wow, nothing like putting the blame on Tebow...this must be a trend with him, i guess...not too mention calling him a prophet was comical...

Timmy is the one who claims to be Mr. Bigger and Better Christian Than You. If he wants to take up that title, he needs to live up to it. Maybe he didn't tell these people to compare him to Jesus, but if he knows they are doing it, he has a responsibility as a Christian to stop them. If people are comparing him to Jesus, basically they are saying he IS God, so if he doesn't tell them not to, he is implicitly accepting the claim that he is God and implicitly accepting worship. And according to the Bible, which both he and his slack-jawed, wall-eyed servants claim to follow, that makes him a false prophet. And all false prophets are also antichrists.

tutall
11-16-2011, 06:31 PM

I guess my answer would be maybe... I cant think of a time that I have rooted against someone for political or religios reasons but if they are on a rival team and I dont like them anyways I could maybe get behind that... Think about when an NFL player came out against killing Bin Laden... I cant for the life of me remember who that was but he got a lot of kick back... I can tell you I have 0 respect for famous people who do the protesting for PETA which I guess is kind of the same.

tutall
11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Timmy is the one who claims to be Mr. Bigger and Better Christian Than You. If he wants to take up that title, he needs to live up to it. Maybe he didn't tell these people to compare him to Jesus, but if he knows they are doing it, he has a responsibility as a Christian to stop them. If people are comparing him to Jesus, basically they are saying he IS God, so if he doesn't tell them not to, he is implicitly accepting the claim that he is God and implicitly accepting worship. And according to the Bible, which both he and his slack-jawed, wall-eyed servants claim to follow, that makes him a false prophet. And all false prophets are also antichrists.

Can you show me the proof you have ofhim claiming to be bigger and better christian than you?

gatorboymike
11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Can you show me the proof you have ofhim claiming to be bigger and better christian than you?

He basically says so in his book.

tutall
11-16-2011, 06:34 PM
He basically says so in his book.

Can you please show me the quotes?

gladdyontherise
11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I guess my answer would be maybe... I cant think of a time that I have rooted against someone for political or religios reasons but if they are on a rival team and I dont like them anyways I could maybe get behind that... Think about when an NFL player came out against killing Bin Laden... I cant for the life of me remember who that was but he got a lot of kick back... I can tell you I have 0 respect for famous people who do the protesting for PETA which I guess is kind of the same.

I could be wrong, but I think Rashard Mendenhall said it.

For the record a players religious beliefs and political views won't stop me from cheering for them if they're on my team. Same thing if I don't like the player.

gatorboymike
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Can you please show me the quotes?

In chapter 19 he brags that 94 million people searched for "John 3:16" on Google the day of and after the 2008 NCAA championship game, as he had written it on his eye black. He implies that one of the main reasons he came back to Florida for his senior season was to sell Jesus to small children.

Here's a good quote: "We knew that the platform God had given me as the Florida quarterback was a big one; who knew what it might be next? Bigger? Smaller? I knew God would give me a platform wherever I was--he does that for all of us--but I wanted to make sure I didn't give up the one He had already given, if I could continue to use it for His glory for another year."

Translation: "Uh huh huh huh, I'm God's favorite toy. Me so important, me convert you long time. Uh huh huh huh."

Really, he can't shut up about God this, Jesus that for more than two pages throughout the entire thing. He's like some hotshot who walks around a fancy night club pulling out his enormous wad of cash every 30 seconds just so everyone can see it. In fact, while we're applying negative terms from his own religion to him, I think we should add pharisee to the list. So that makes blasphemer, idolator, hypocrite, false prophet, antichrist and pharisee.

I read the book because it was bought for me by my brother, who's a religious fanatic and die-hard Tebow fan. This, despite the fact that he was at Florida at the same time Tebow was, and actually ate lunch in the same cafeteria as Tebow sometimes, and according to him, in public Tebow's an extremely stuck-up snob who doesn't care about anything except football and religion. Well, you know what they say, birds of a feather.

duwal
11-16-2011, 06:59 PM
He ALWAYS preaches it.

yeah, more than any other religious sports personality I know, one of the main reasons I don't like him

Hilfiger1975
11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
I've got to be honest. I'm seeing all these people showing him so much love makes me want to collect him now...:winking0071:

tutall
11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
In chapter 19 he brags that 94 million people searched for "John 3:16" on Google the day of and after the 2008 NCAA championship game, as he had written it on his eye black. He implies that one of the main reasons he came back to Florida for his senior season was to sell Jesus to small children.

Good for him... He is proud he had people looking after something he believes in... Im sure he was standing over them making them hit the enter button too right? And I am sure people who give endorsements for Nike track how many times Nike is searched after Jordan releases shoes or is shown in a Nike add.... Doesnt make him a Nike Fanatic....

Here's a good quote: "We knew that the platform God had given me as the Florida quarterback was a big one; who knew what it might be next? Bigger? Smaller? I knew God would give me a platform wherever I was--he does that for all of us--but I wanted to make sure I didn't give up the one He had already given, if I could continue to use it for His glory for another year."

Translation: "Uh huh huh huh, I'm God's favorite toy. Me so important, me convert you long time. Uh huh huh huh."

How about you get over yourself and leave translation to whoever is reading the book... I see it as him using his fame to promote something he believes in... If you can show me where he ever says HE is better than any single person I would really appreciate it... Afterall... That is where this discussion was going before you posted these quotes....

Really, he can't shut up about God this, Jesus that for more than two pages throughout the entire thing. He's like some hotshot who walks around a fancy night club pulling out his enormous wad of cash every 30 seconds just so everyone can see it. In fact, while we're applying negative terms from his own religion to him, I think we should add pharisee to the list. So that makes blasphemer, idolator, hypocrite, false prophet, antichrist and pharisee.

No one made you read the book... No one made you finish it... No one is requiring it as reading anywhere... People who buythe book more than likely know where he stands.... And yet again, you fail to prove where he thinks he is higher and mightier than anyone else on this planet... And you have not proven anything about his being any of the things you have labeled him as...

I read the book because it was bought for me by my brother, who's a religious fanatic and die-hard Tebow fan. This, despite the fact that he was at Florida at the same time Tebow was, and actually ate lunch in the same cafeteria as Tebow sometimes, and according to him, in public Tebow's an extremely stuck-up snob who doesn't care about anything except football and religion. Well, you know what they say, birds of a feather.

Because your brother knows all about Tebow right? Im surehe did Tebows laundry and brushed his teeth as I am sure your brother was a mere peasant compared to Tebow... Get real dude

mrveggieman
11-17-2011, 11:41 AM
How come YOU didn't give McCain a change to change things?

Good question. I actually thought that mccain would have been a vast improvement from that idiot gwb. However mccain still was a member of the republican party who got us into the mess that we are in and would have had to do their bidding. I thought that it was time for some fresh blood and a new party in the white house.

mrveggieman
11-17-2011, 11:45 AM

If I could add my two cents timmy can't be held responsible for what someone wants to put on their custom jersey. They could put Jesus, Noah, Budah, Muhammad, or Herman Cain for that matter and he would have no control over it whatsoever. He can only go out play ball and preach his faith to whoever is interested.

duane1969
11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
If I could add my two cents timmy can't be held responsible for what someone wants to put on their custom jersey. They could put Jesus, Noah, Budah, Muhammad, or Herman Cain for that matter and he would have no control over it whatsoever. He can only go out play ball and preach his faith to whoever is interested.

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. I have been reading thru this thread and repeatedly asking myself what any of this has to do with a random person putting "Jesus" on a Tebow jersey.

As you pointed out, Tebow has no more control or say over what name people put on a jersey than Ford or Dodge have over what bumper stickers people put on their cars.

ensbergcollector
11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
wow, i love the threads that reveal so much about people:

veggieman - so anyone who didn't vote for obama and thus "give him a chance" to fix things, deserves to fail in life and you take pleasure in their failure. Gotcha. All because they didn't vote for obama

gatorboy - nothing new, same old same old, though the info that your brother is a religious fanatic might explain where some of your hatred for religion comes from. I like how you interpret "i don't want to miss out on the stage god has given me" to mean i want to sell jesus to small children. And, though not surprising, your interpretation of scripture leaves much to be desired. Someone puts jesus on a tebow jersey and you managed to start a rabbit trail that has him as the anti-christ.

mrveggieman
11-17-2011, 03:24 PM
wow, i love the threads that reveal so much about people:

veggieman - so anyone who didn't vote for obama and thus "give him a chance" to fix things, deserves to fail in life and you take pleasure in their failure. Gotcha. All because they didn't vote for obama

gatorboy - nothing new, same old same old, though the info that your brother is a religious fanatic might explain where some of your hatred for religion comes from. I like how you interpret "i don't want to miss out on the stage god has given me" to mean i want to sell jesus to small children. And, though not surprising, your interpretation of scripture leaves much to be desired. Someone puts jesus on a tebow jersey and you managed to start a rabbit trail that has him as the anti-christ.

And I love how some of our readers such as ensbergcollector like to put words in peoples mouth. I never said that anyone deserves to fail for who they voted for. I watch sports including football and wrestling for entertainment. If HHH says something on monday night raw that I don't like I as well as most other wrestling fans will take pleasure in watching him getting beat. Same thing for Brady Quinn. I don't personally want to see the guy hurt or anything and I would actually ask him for his autograph if I ever saw him in person. I just don't agree with his political viewpoints just like he dosen't agree with mines. Isn't that my right as an american or do my rights not matter to people like you?

mrveggieman
11-17-2011, 04:12 PM

I actually like PETA except for the way they handled the Michael Vick situation. What is your beef with PETA?

andrewhoya
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Good question. I actually thought that mccain would have been a vast improvement from that idiot gwb. However mccain still was a member of the republican party who got us into the mess that we are in and would have had to do their bidding. I thought that it was time for some fresh blood and a new party in the white house.

So now you are blaming EVERY single person who belongs to the Republican party? Alrighty then.

ensbergcollector
11-17-2011, 05:30 PM

i didn't put any words in your mouth. you did. "i have taken a pleasure in watching quinn fall flat on his face..."

tutall
11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I actually like PETA except for the way they handled the Michael Vick situation. What is your beef with PETA?

a large portion of PETA are idiots... If you are anywhere near for them go check out some of the stats on how many animals they kill each year compared to the average SPCA shelter... Go check out where their actual funding goes and how much of the millions they bring in yearly actually goes to the animals... If you want me to I will get the stats but I just dont have the time tonight... They break and enter labs without permission to set lab animals free, destroy property of private corporations they think are abusing animals, and allow dangerous animals in society at the voice of animal rights when a lot of the animals they set loose are either unable to live in the wild or dangerous to other animals or people.

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 11:16 AM
i didn't put any words in your mouth. you did. "i have taken a pleasure in watching quinn fall flat on his face..."

All of us have teams, athletes, musicians, politicians, movie stars, etc that we don't care for them or their work one way or another. That is why we root against them in their chosen profession. I don't agree with Brady Quinn's politicial beliefs so that is why I root against him on the football field. (Him also playing for the Denver Broncos is also more of a reson to dislike him with me being a Raider fan and all). It's just politics, nothing personal. I don't want the man to get locked up, get injured, or drop dead. Are you going to say that you like every athlete and team who plays sports and there is absolutely no one that you root against for whatever reason. If you can honestly say that you don't have anyone that you root against then you are not a real sportsfan.

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
a large portion of PETA are idiots... If you are anywhere near for them go check out some of the stats on how many animals they kill each year compared to the average SPCA shelter... Go check out where their actual funding goes and how much of the millions they bring in yearly actually goes to the animals... If you want me to I will get the stats but I just dont have the time tonight... They break and enter labs without permission to set lab animals free, destroy property of private corporations they think are abusing animals, and allow dangerous animals in society at the voice of animal rights when a lot of the animals they set loose are either unable to live in the wild or dangerous to other animals or people.

I agree there are few extremists in PETA but you will also find them in any group, including republicans, christians, or any other walk of life. PETA does some good work for animal rights but some of their actions are just a little bit over the top. Over all I like them. Hell if someone wants to start a PETA debate on another thread I'm all for it.

sanfran22
11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I agree there are few extremists in PETA but you will also find them in any group, including republicans, christians, or any other walk of life. PETA does some good work for animal rights but some of their actions are just a little bit over the top. Over all I like them. Hell if someone wants to start a PETA debate on another thread I'm all for it.

Ingrid Newkirk is all you need to know about PETA. Nutjob to the extreme...

ensbergcollector
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
All of us have teams, athletes, musicians, politicians, movie stars, etc that we don't care for them or their work one way or another. That is why we root against them in their chosen profession. I don't agree with Brady Quinn's politicial beliefs so that is why I root against him on the football field. (Him also playing for the Denver Broncos is also more of a reson to dislike him with me being a Raider fan and all). It's just politics, nothing personal. I don't want the man to get locked up, get injured, or drop dead. Are you going to say that you like every athlete and team who plays sports and there is absolutely no one that you root against for whatever reason. If you can honestly say that you don't have anyone that you root against then you are not a real sportsfan.

no, i will openly admit there are people who i would rather not succeed. However, i would never take joy in someone's failure because they didn't vote for the same guy I did. That goes beyond being a "real sportsfan" and goes into being a very bias and hateful political fanboy.

Hilfiger1975
11-18-2011, 02:14 PM
no, i will openly admit there are people who i would rather not succeed. However, i would never take joy in someone's failure because they didn't vote for the same guy I did. That goes beyond being a "real sportsfan" and goes into being a very bias and hateful political fanboy.
Wow, that made me think of the P & R forum...LOL...

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 04:02 PM

I don't know if you are a wrestling fan or not but I can recall back around 2003 or 2004 Scott Stiener and Christopher Nowinski had a fued going on. Scott was pro war and Chris was anti war. Stiener was the bad guy and they made him look like a steriod using bafoon. He starting spewing off nonsense linking iraq to 9/11, terrorism and a whole bunch of other hot air. Nowinski was calm and cool showing how the war was wrong. The point was wwe was playing the political angle and wanted the fans to cheer or boo the wrestlers based on whose side of the fence you were on. I forgot where they were at but most of them sided with chris. Again it was all for entertainment, that is why I watch football, basketball, wrestling, nascar or any other sport. I can root against a guy because of his political stance just like you or anyone else can root against him because he went to a rival college, is from a rival town, you don't like his religion or any other trivial issue. Again I am not wishing any bodily harm, legal or emotional issues on Brady Quinn and hell he may be a good guy but I just can't get with his political philosphy.

gatorboymike
11-18-2011, 06:01 PM

I come from a whole family of religious fanatics, Smiley. I'm sure you know what that's like. And don't blame me, blame Timmy and his mommy. They pretty much said it almost in those exact words in his book. You don't believe me? Go buy the book and read it.

And sue me if I didn't spend years of my life and thousands of dollars being trained how to "interpret" scripture "properly" like you did. I'm just not going to sit here and tell small children they're getting a pic-a-nic basket full of rainbows and puppy dogs and sunshine when they're really getting a rusty bucket full of blood and maggots and dead rats. News flash, Smiley: there's nothing objective about your interpretation of it either. Interpretation is just another word for spin. And I thought scripture was supposed to be the orignal "No Spin Zone."

Besides, who better to be the anti-christ than Tebow?

Hilfiger1975
11-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Besides, who better to be the anti-christ than Tebow?
I put this up for post of the year...:twitch:

gatorboymike
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I put this up for post of the year...:twitch:

Always the one you least suspect, huh?

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/1/1c/FlandersDevil.png