PDA

View Full Version : New York court upholds eviction of Occupy protesters

duane1969
11-15-2011, 11:44 PM
A New York Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that Occupy protesters will be allowed to return to Zuccotti Park, but they can't bring their tents and generators -- once a mainstay of the movement.

The order does not prevent Zuccotti park demonstrations, but says protesters' First Amendment rights not do include remaining there "along with their tents, structures, generators, and other installations to the exclusion of the owner's reasonable rights and duties to maintain" the area.

Stallman said protesters' rights cannot come at the exclusion of those "who might wish to use the space safely."

Gotta love this guy's response.

"It's hard to expect much else," said protester Amos Fisher. "The rules are slanted in favor of money."

Of course it has nothing to do with the law.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/15/us/new-york-occupy-eviction/index.html

pspstatus
11-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I guess that guy doesn't know the park is privately owned. There's not really anything they can do to fight this as the action was requested by the owners of the park. The only thing that I question is the middle of the night sneak attack.

habsheaven
11-15-2011, 11:58 PM
I get a kick out of all these protestors. Breaking the laws, as they protest how the 1% are basically above the laws. lol

gatorboymike
11-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I guess that guy doesn't know the park is privately owned. There's not really anything they can do to fight this as the action was requested by the owners of the park. The only thing that I question is the middle of the night sneak attack.

I don't think "Occupy Central Park" would have driven the point home.

duane1969
11-16-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't think "Occupy Central Park" would have driven the point home.

Even then they wouldn't have had the legal right to pitch tents and camp out. Protesting is fine, squatting is not (especially on the hood of a cop car).