PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Gun ownership at 20-year high

pwaldo
11-17-2011, 05:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/poll-gun-ownership-20-high-140452521.html

Nearly half of Americans say they have a gun in their household, the highest percentage since 1993, according to a new Gallup poll.

Forty-seven percent of Americans say they have a gun on their property. Gun ownership is up among Republicans as well as Democrats, though only 40 percent of Democrats say their home has a gun, compared to 55 percent of Republicans. Support for personal gun-ownership rights is also at a high. (The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus four points.)

Reported gun ownership dropped sharply in the early 1990s and remained in the low 40s until today.

pghin08
11-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I thought Obama wanted to take all our guns away, didn't he? :rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
11-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm sure it is at a all-time high considering where America as a whole is economically...

sanfran22
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I thought Obama wanted to take all our guns away, didn't he? :rolleyes:

You realize that's why it's so high, right?:winking0071:

pghin08
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
You realize that's why it's so high, right?:winking0071:

Irrational people thinking Obama is going to outlaw guns? Yeah.

sanfran22
11-18-2011, 10:55 AM

No, a lot of people were worried that there would be more regulation/laws. I don't know anyone who thought they would be outlawed...

pghin08
11-18-2011, 11:18 AM
No, a lot of people were worried that there would be more regulation/laws. I don't know anyone who thought they would be outlawed...

In my part of PA, there are a lot of them. But even if there's more regulation, it's probably to keep guns out of the hands of wacko's (better background checks) and laws regarding semi-automatic weapons (which used to exist).

duane1969
11-18-2011, 11:19 AM

They have stopped trying to outlaw guns and instead are trying to backdoor gun elimination by targeting other aspects.

For example. I own a WW2 era British Enfield .303. I have used it and one that my dad owns since I was a kid for deer hunting. In WW1, WW2 and Korea some Enfield's were modified and used as sniper rifles, but newer technology and better long-range rifles made it obsolete by the 1960's. However, about 2 years ago it was reclassified as a military grade sniper rifle and the production of ammunition for it was outlawed. So I can own it, I just can't get ammo for it. So now I won a British .303 club.

This is happening with other weapons too. My local gunshop ordered 100 boxes of 9mm ammo. When their order arrived they received 24 boxes. Their supplier told them that government regulations were restricting how much ammo they could ship.

So instead of banning the guns they either outlaw the ammo or restrict access to ammo.

----------------------

EDIT: I forgot to add that the number of people who own guns is relative to where you live. Here in WV I would be shocked if less than 90% of households have guns in them. I don't know anybody that doesn't own a gun and most people I know own numerous guns. On the flip side, I would be equally shocked to learn that 47% of Californians own a gun (excluding Crips, Bloods and Latin Kings LOL).

Hilfiger1975
11-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I want this:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

:love0030:

sanfran22
11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
In my part of PA, there are a lot of them. But even if there's more regulation, it's probably to keep guns out of the hands of wacko's (better background checks) and laws regarding semi-automatic weapons (which used to exist).

Lol, that's never gonna happen.

sanfran22
11-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I want this:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

:love0030:

I want the one up top in the middle.....:fighting0016:

duane1969
11-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Are you speaking of the assault weapons ban? I don't recall a semi-auto ban.

Hilfiger1975
11-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I want the one up top in the middle.....:fighting0016:
:winking0071:

pghin08
11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Are you speaking of the assault weapons ban? I don't recall a semi-auto ban.

Yes. Hasn't been renewed since it expired like almost a decade ago.

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I am totally ok with this. I support and defend our 2nd ammendment right to bear arms to defend ourselves. I talke the entire bill of rights literally and not just the parts that a political party that I lean with supports.

Hilfiger1975
11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I am totally ok with this. I support and defend our 2nd ammendment right to bear arms to defend ourselves. I talke the entire bill of rights literally and not just the parts that a political party that I lean with supports.
You better hold on to those bill of rights real hard, because the government is slowly taking them away little by little...

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 12:34 PM
You better hold on to those bill of rights real hard, because the government is slowly taking them away little by little...

That's sad but true. Also those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. A lot of people are anti gun. However if you take away your weapons who are you going to defend yourself. Look what happened to nazi germany why hitler took away the right to bear arms. Do we really want the same thing here in america?

duane1969
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes. Hasn't been renewed since it expired like almost a decade ago.

I know different people have varying opinions about the AWB. I did a paper and presentation on it when I was in college and it was very enlightening.

Did you know that prior to the ban only 3% of deaths by firearm were with a weapon that fell under the AWB?

Now the kicker. Can you tell which of these guns is an assault weapon, based on criteria set by the AWB? Don't "cheat" and go look up the criteria, just guess and see if you are correct.

1) AK-47/74 - Semi-auto variant to comply with US law banning automatic weapons.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4825/ak47kr.jpg

2) .303 British w/bayonet
http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/taa3504.jpg

3) Benelli M4 shotgun w/folding stock
http://www.bhgunrack.com/images/dynamic/M4_FOLDING_STOCK_FS.jpg

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
I know different people have varying opinions about the AWB. I did a paper and presentation on it when I was in college and it was very enlightening.

Did you know that prior to the ban only 3% of deaths by firearm were with a weapon that fell under the AWB?

Now the kicker. Can you tell which of these guns is an assault weapon, based on criteria set by the AWB? Don't "cheat" and go look up the criteria, just guess and see if you are correct.

1) AK-47/74 - Semi-auto variant to comply with US law banning automatic weapons.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4825/ak47kr.jpg

2) .303 British w/bayonet
http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/taa3504.jpg

3) Benelli M4 shotgun w/folding stock
http://www.bhgunrack.com/images/dynamic/M4_FOLDING_STOCK_FS.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and pick option 2.

duane1969
11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and pick option 2.

Why #2? Not trying to trick you or put you on the spot, just curious why you chose it.

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Why #2? Not trying to trick you or put you on the spot, just curious why you chose it.

I'm thinking that it is a trick question. Option #2 appears to be the weakest of the 3 choices. I don't claim to be a gun expert so I could be wrong.

duane1969
11-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm thinking that it is a trick question. Option #2 appears to be the weakest of the 3 choices. I don't claim to be a gun expert so I could be wrong.

LOL

Well you are correct. It is one of the assault weapons pictured. It was classified as an assault weapon because...brace for it...it has a bayonet on it. By simply removing the bayonet it stopped being classified as an assault weapon.

mrveggieman
11-18-2011, 02:15 PM
LOL

Well you are correct. It is one of the assault weapons pictured. It was classified as an assault weapon because...brace for it...it has a bayonet on it. By simply removing the bayonet it stopped being classified as an assault weapon.

Interesting. I learn something new on here everyday.

duane1969
11-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Since nobody else took a guess I will drop the "bomb" on which of the other two was classified as an assault weapon.

It is #3, the Benelli M4 shotgun. I tipped off as to the reason why it is classified as such in it's description. It had nothing to do with firepower, shell capacity, muzzle velocity or anything relating to it's ability to kill. It's because of the folding stock. According to the AWB any firearm with a folding stock was classified as an assault weapon. And just like the bayonet on the .303 British, by remoiving the folding stock and adding a pistol grip or fixed stock the Benelli M4 stopped being an assault weapon.

The most ignorant part, the AK-47/74 is the deadliest weapon shown. With a semi-auto firing mechanism, 25 round clip, effective range of 2000 yards and ability to penetrate hi-grade body armor it is by far more deadly than the M4 and considerably more effective at long range than the .303. Yet according to the guidelines set by the AWB it was not an assault weapon.

While folding stock weapons were banned from the shelves AK-47/74s were being sold without limitations, not even so much as a background check. This is the primary reason the AWB was not renewed. It was ineffective and impotent. Even the "banned" guns could be sold with minor cosmetic changes rendering the AWB virtually useless.