PDA

View Full Version : Report: Wyclef Jean squandered Haitian relief funds

pwaldo
11-27-2011, 06:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/wyclef-jean-squandered-haitian-relief-funds-report-214108289.html

Less than a third of the $16 million gathered in 2010 by hip-hop star Wyclef Jean for earthquake relief in Haiti actually made it to emergency efforts in the country, the New York Post reported on Sunday.

According to the exclusive report, Jean's charity, Yele Haiti, doled out millions in questionable contracts -- in fact, $1 million was paid to a Florida firm that doesn't seem to exist.

The Post also reported that a company called P&A Construction -- which is run by Warnel Pierre, Jean's brother-in-law -- received $353,983 from the group.

Founded in 2005 with his cousin Jerry Duplessis, Jean's charity was troubled before the disastrous January 2010 earthquake struck his native country. In 2008, it was revealed that the organization had never filed required tax forms detailing its spending to the IRS.

duane1969
11-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Simple. Charge him with fraud and take it out of his net worth. Anyone who recieved funds and did not properly use them either pays it back or is charged with fraud as well.

andrewhoya
11-27-2011, 06:43 PM
It pisses me off that someone actually has the balls to do this.

gatorboymike
11-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Somebody's gonna get a bullet in his bubblegoose.

duane1969
11-27-2011, 07:13 PM
And not too surprising, Jean and most of the board have left (abandoned) the charity.

I am sure that someone will point out that Jean is not directly responsible for handling the funds, but I will pre-counter that he is responsible for ensuring that his charity is not mismanaging funds and hanging the Hatian people out to dry.

I have changed my original position tho. I think that Jean, the charity board and charity members should be forced to go to Haiti and perform manual labor at the local wage rate until they have repaid the missing/mismanaged money.

AUTaxMan
11-27-2011, 09:26 PM
shocker

OBOMBA
11-27-2011, 11:43 PM
o wow charities are scams? REALLY? i didn't know.........:rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
11-27-2011, 11:46 PM
It pisses me off that someone actually has the balls to do this.
It happens everyday...not too mention most charities barely give 50% of what is actually donated...i read a few years ago that the united way had the highest % that actually went to victims and it was barely 50%...

duane1969
11-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I seem to remember hearing a report on TV that said a charity was credited with .90 cents of every dollar going to the intended cause. For some reason I am thinking it was UNICEF but I am not sure.

pghin08
11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
And not too surprising, Jean and most of the board have left (abandoned) the charity.

I am sure that someone will point out that Jean is not directly responsible for handling the funds, but I will pre-counter that he is responsible for ensuring that his charity is not mismanaging funds and hanging the Hatian people out to dry.

I have changed my original position tho. I think that Jean, the charity board and charity members should be forced to go to Haiti and perform manual labor at the local wage rate until they have repaid the missing/mismanaged money.

100% right.