PDA

View Full Version : Drinking/Smoking

mrveggieman
11-28-2011, 09:38 AM
This is something that has always been going on and I just want to get the forum's spin on it. What do you think about adults drinking alcohol and or smoke in front of children? Drinking alcohol is setting a poor example for kids regardless of not if they are any relation to you and smoking anything infront of kids is just plain reprehensible. I see people at bus stops throughout the city that are so hard up for a cigarette that they have no problem lighting up and passing off second hand smoke to kids as well as other non smokers. I have never smoked cigarettes and rarely drink so let me ask is your need for a smoke that serious where you are willing to pass along poisonous second had smoke to kids and you don't care? Any one with any thoughts or opinions please chime in.

maniac133
11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I have a father who smokes and both my parents have no problem drinking in front of us. I don't see it as setting a bad example however. If they choose to do it, then that's their choice. Doesn't meant that their children will follow suit because of their parent's actions. Should it be prevented? I don't think so. Like I said, if they choose to expose their children to it, then so be it. Mine did, and I don't have any problem with it. On the contrary, I'm more grateful they did than they didn't. Rather them just do it than just to hide it from us.

brandonbarnett
11-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I smoke, my kids no it... I limit it on days I have them.... I myself believe alot of second hand smoke stuff is scare tactics... I work in a Nursing Home and have had for 7 and a half years and I have watched 60 year smokers never have cancer nor there family members, and watched ppl never exposed to smokers die of lung cancer in there 20's........

I myself drink maybe 3 times a year I have no real want to... But I do know my kids see there mother drink alot, a couple of weeks ago she was not home for me to drop them off and a 8 and a 4 year old told me to check the bar first talk about heart in stomach.... And I believe drinking causes more serious problems because the parts of the body it does kill that I have seen.... Nothing worse than seeing someone ur own age in a NH hooked up to iv's and being npo cuz of the drinkin.... just my .02

andrewhoya
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm fine with drinking as long as it is done in moderation and they don't drive. Smoking should be illegal.

gladdyontherise
11-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Both my parents would smoke and drink in front of me and my brothers. Both my brothers now smoke and drink, and I do niether.

I'd prefer nobody to smoke or drink, because

A) It's not good for your health
B) Its disgusting
C) To many people (this is for drinking really) aren't mature enough and do stupid things that hurt others

mrveggieman
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
As much as me and my wife butt heads I thank God that neither one of us smokes, she dosen't drink alcohol at all and I very rarely drink if at all. It would be setting a poor example for any of the young kids in our family if they saw us drinking and or smoking.

dfr52
11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm fine with drinking as long as it is done in moderation and they don't drive. Smoking should be illegal.

Agreed and smoking w/ children present is harmful to their health.

angel0430
11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I used to smoke and my kids knew it. I do hate when people smoke in closed spaces like a car snd they have their kids inside and they don't care. Especially if they are really young kids.

I drink and my kids see me when I am doing it. Now, they have never seen me or any of my frinds drunk and they never will. I do not think that doing this in front of them is setting a bad example because my kids know who I am and what I am.

#1 Broncos Fan
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Drinking in moderation is fine me and my wife drink red wine and we have beer for friends that come over, I don't see it as setting a bad example but what I do find ignorant is people who think second hand smoke is a scare tatic, my dad smoked for 40+ years and that's what eventually took his life was lung cancer even though he had stopped 10 years prior, I had a cousin who never smoked a day in his life he was 20 years old when he died from LUNG CANCER which they attributed to second hand smoke because his parents smoked in the house in the car, see no one seems to give two **** about the non smokers and their children! I used to hate going to school smelling like a fat nasty ashtray because when my dad drove us to school he smoked in the card and at home, I was happy when I could walk to school and air my clothes out! But that's what I find irresponsible and ignorant and I have told that to people its not fair to shorten your kids lives by smoking in the car when they have no say or to smoke in the house where they livve also, I am with most ban smoking in all public places and establishments I get tired of seeing cigarette butts laying all over the sidewalks and front of businesses before you go in and the sad thing is they usually have ashtray or something to discard your smokes in before entering!

SMVintage
11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
No problem with drinking in front of them, but I do not smoke in front of young kides..

I'd prefer nobody to smoke or drink, because

A) It's not good for your health
B) Its disgusting
C) To many people (this is for drinking really) aren't mature enough and do stupid things that hurt others

Gladdy- that is a false statement, Drink 1 glass of wine/ 1 beer a day IS good for your health and there is TONS of research to prove it...

gladdyontherise
11-29-2011, 02:08 PM
No problem with drinking in front of them, but I do not smoke in front of young kides..

Gladdy- that is a false statement, Drink 1 glass of wine/ 1 beer a day IS good for your health and there is TONS of research to prove it...

I think you knew what I meant though.

texansrangerfan73
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Smoking should be illegal.

Really? & why do you feel this way?

mrveggieman
11-29-2011, 02:36 PM

The research on that is kind of controversial. Some experts suggest it may have some benefits some experts say to avoid alcohol like the plage. It depends on whose research you believe.

brandonbarnett
11-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Drinking in moderation is fine me and my wife drink red wine and we have beer for friends that come over, I don't see it as setting a bad example but what I do find ignorant is people who think second hand smoke is a scare tatic, my dad smoked for 40+ years and that's what eventually took his life was lung cancer even though he had stopped 10 years prior, I had a cousin who never smoked a day in his life he was 20 years old when he died from LUNG CANCER which they attributed to second hand smoke because his parents smoked in the house in the car, see no one seems to give two **** about the non smokers and their children! I used to hate going to school smelling like a fat nasty ashtray because when my dad drove us to school he smoked in the card and at home, I was happy when I could walk to school and air my clothes out! But that's what I find irresponsible and ignorant and I have told that to people its not fair to shorten your kids lives by smoking in the car when they have no say or to smoke in the house where they livve also, I am with most ban smoking in all public places and establishments I get tired of seeing cigarette butts laying all over the sidewalks and front of businesses before you go in and the sad thing is they usually have ashtray or something to discard your smokes in before entering!

Now you do realize 2nd hand smoke deaths and illness stats also include smoke from fires to right??

Also I read your 2 examples.... Which are not uncommon, but I have also been around many deaths of life long smokers who when the passed only died of natural causes......

Also watched alot of people die of lung cancer and or stroke related illness who come from smoke free homes and never touched a cig......

The numbers are honestly a total crapshoot, and certain groups get ahold of them a poke them out as a scare tatic.....

andrewhoya
11-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Let's hear why it should be legal.

It is harmful to users and people near users. Creates pollution. And basically you are paying thousands of dollars over many years just for an earlier death.

Hilfiger1975
11-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Do you know the ingredients in cigarettes? Let me ask you one more question. Why does everything on earth have ingredient labels, but cigarettes do not? I answered your question for you...

ensbergcollector
11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Now you do realize 2nd hand smoke deaths and illness stats also include smoke from fires to right??

Also I read your 2 examples.... Which are not uncommon, but I have also been around many deaths of life long smokers who when the passed only died of natural causes......

Also watched alot of people die of lung cancer and or stroke related illness who come from smoke free homes and never touched a cig......

The numbers are honestly a total crapshoot, and certain groups get ahold of them a poke them out as a scare tatic.....

none of your observations mean that second hand smoke statistics are a scare tactic though. just because someone was around second hand smoke and didn't get cancer means nothing. shouldn't parents err on the side of caution and avoid subjecting their children to smoke that is unnecessary?

brandonbarnett
11-29-2011, 06:20 PM
none of your observations mean that second hand smoke statistics are a scare tactic though. just because someone was around second hand smoke and didn't get cancer means nothing. shouldn't parents err on the side of caution and avoid subjecting their children to smoke that is unnecessary?

Yes they should... I have my habit I enjoy it, but I try my best not to subject others to it.... And yes it appears to be scare tactics when they don't explain all the facts and factors in tv or mag ad's... I am not intending to offend or put down anybody past if someone died due directly to 2nd hand smoke just nearly say they trump the numbers up as a scare tactic.... Because just like anything else in this world 2nd hand smoke affects some people differently than others

#1 Broncos Fan
11-29-2011, 08:37 PM

Ok keep believing that I used to be a Wild Land fire fighter with the US forest service for several years and 4 years as a structural fire fighter and had lungs checked regurlarly and I have some decrease in lung capacities but nothing near that of a person who smokes, they have proven science behind it! Thats the problem with smokers they don't think it is hurting them or others around them but then when they end up with lung cancer they blame big cigarette.................

#1 Broncos Fan
11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
none of your observations mean that second hand smoke statistics are a scare tactic though. Just because someone was around second hand smoke and didn't get cancer means nothing. Shouldn't parents err on the side of caution and avoid subjecting their children to smoke that is unnecessary?
+1

brandonbarnett
11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Ok keep believing that I used to be a Wild Land fire fighter with the US forest service for several years and 4 years as a structural fire fighter and had lungs checked regurlarly and I have some decrease in lung capacities but nothing near that of a person who smokes, they have proven science behind it! Thats the problem with smokers they don't think it is hurting them or others around them but then when they end up with lung cancer they blame big cigarette.................

Ok read all the way thru first.... I never said it didn't hurt others, I just said the trump the numbers to scare people...... Oh and by the way I have smoked menthol cigs for 10yrs and was around 2nd hand smoke 2 yrs before I started and I still have reg/normal lung capacity, a normal to below average bp

#1 Broncos Fan
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Ok read all the way thru first.... I never said it didn't hurt others, I just said the trump the numbers to scare people...... Oh and by the way I have smoked menthol cigs for 10yrs and was around 2nd hand smoke 2 yrs before I started and I still have reg/normal lung capacity, a normal to below average bp
Cool deal get with me in 30 years and tell me that..........

texansrangerfan73
11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Let's hear why it should be legal.

It is harmful to users and people near users. Creates pollution. And basically you are paying thousands of dollars over many years just for an earlier death.

I don't smoke & I quit drinking over a year ago but as far as being illegal or outlawed, should we outlaw cars for their exhaust giving off carbon monoxide or ban coal stacks which gives us electricity but also pollutes the air & ozone? Should we as Americans give up every right that we have?

texansrangerfan73
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Do you know the ingredients in cigarettes? Let me ask you one more question. Why does everything on earth have ingredient labels, but cigarettes do not? I answered your question for you...

Do you? It is a bunch of chemicals which is why I support the natural tobacco & it's legalization!!

andrewhoya
11-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't smoke & I quit drinking over a year ago but as far as being illegal or outlawed, should we outlaw cars for their exhaust giving off carbon monoxide or ban coal stacks which gives us electricity but also pollutes the air & ozone? Should we as Americans give up every right that we have?

Pollution as in people throw their stubs on the ground more than they put them in trash cans.

texansrangerfan73
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Pollution as in people throw their stubs on the ground more than they put them in trash cans.

Huh??? Ticket stubs or cigarette butts? Either way that's called littering & let's outlaw Big Macs because I just saw a empty box on the side of the road today. Now don't get me wrong I totally understand the second-hand smoke deal & the non-smoking restaurant campaign but not pollution which is your basis for the argument set forth.

andrewhoya
11-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Huh??? Ticket stubs or cigarette butts? Either way that's called littering & let's outlaw Big Macs because I just saw a empty box on the side of the road today. Now don't get me wrong I totally understand the second-hand smoke deal & the non-smoking restaurant campaign but not pollution which is your basis for the argument set forth.

Have you not seen the amount of cigarette butts on the ground?

andrewhoya
11-30-2011, 07:33 AM

And also the amount of smoke going into the atmosphere.

mrveggieman
11-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I personally don't understand the point of smoking cigarettes. The only do harm there is nothing good that comes out of smoking cigarettes. Why would someone want kids to see them smoke or better yet why would anyone want to smoke at all knowing all the damage it causes to yourself and others around you?

pghin08
11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Not a smoker, and barely a social drinker. I'm the only one in my family that's never smoked cigarettes/weed. I can never tell if they think I'm lying when I say that, or if they think I'm some kind of prude.

ColtsD21
11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Nothing worse then having to take a shower when you get home from a night out because you were in a bar full of cigarette smoke. I am so thankfull that the local counties have made most businesses smoke free. Now I only choose to go to the smoke free bars. Before if I wanted to go out and mingle with some chicas, I had no choice. Smoking is definitely an intrusive habbit to others, and it seems that most smokers don't care. Whether it's inhaling 2nd hand smoke, smelling like an ashtray, or burnholes and ashes everywhere, I prefur not to be around this.

That being said, it's perfectly legal to smoke. I'm not saying every smoker is intrusive, but too many are. If a smoker steps outside I have no problem. If you are addicted, and choose to smoke in front of your children, educate them. Don't let them think it's something cool that adults can do. If they see you smoking, I don't think it's the end of the world, but you should at least do it in open air so they don't have to inhale the smoke, or smell like crap.

As far as alcohol goes, as long as it can be done in moderation, and you don't get out of control, it's your choice. Lets face it, kids that grow up with alcoholic parents, usually end up resenting them, and/or turning into alcoholic's themselves. A few cocktails, in a social situation, why not. Having to drink daily to feel normal, is a different story.

The main point of my arguement is it's your choice to do what you want as long as it's legal. Don't let other's suffer from your choices. Never drink and Drive!

texansrangerfan73
11-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Have you not seen the amount of cigarette butts on the ground?

Well to be honest I've seen more trash on the ground than cigarette butts. Heck I went to the store the other night & there on the ground was a dirty diaper, that's just gross.

And also the amount of smoke going into the atmosphere.

It's not all from cigarettes from friend. What about smoke stacks from our factories, steel mills or the exhaust from vehicles. What about the small grocery stores that still burn their boxes in an incinerator? Now this could go on all day. I just don't understand why some want to stomp on others civil liberties. Like I said in another post I don't smoke cigarettes but both my parents did as I was growing up & it didn't bother me a bit. I chose not too but someone else may have chose to which is their right & under the 1st Amendment their choice. If this kinda stuff keeps up our Free Country will become a dictatorship & do we really want that?

andrewhoya
11-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Well to be honest I've seen more trash on the ground than cigarette butts. Heck I went to the store the other night & there on the ground was a dirty diaper, that's just gross.

I'd rather smell- and see- a dirty diaper than a cigarette.

It's not all from cigarettes from friend. What about smoke stacks from our factories, steel mills or the exhaust from vehicles. What about the small grocery stores that still burn their boxes in an incinerator? Now this could go on all day. I just don't understand why some want to stomp on others civil liberties. Like I said in another post I don't smoke cigarettes but both my parents did as I was growing up & it didn't bother me a bit. I chose not too but someone else may have chose to which is their right & under the 1st Amendment their choice. If this kinda stuff keeps up our Free Country will become a dictatorship & do we really want that?

Did I say it was all from cigarettes? Please quote my post where I said that. Did I say I believe smoke stacks should be legal? Nope.

If this kinda stuff keeps up our Free Country will become a dictatorship & do we really want that?
Seriously dude? Did you say the same thing when marijuana became illegal?

marekschwarz33
11-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Making cigarettes illegal won't stop people from smoking. Look at what a failure and waste the "War on Drugs" is...

maniac133
11-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Making cigarettes illegal won't stop people from smoking. Look at what a failure and waste the "War on Drugs" is...

This. War on drugs (marijuana at least) should end. Just funneling money into a pointless cause.

texansrangerfan73
11-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I'd rather smell- and see- a dirty diaper than a cigarette.

Did I say it was all from cigarettes? Please quote my post where I said that. Did I say I believe smoke stacks should be legal? Nope.

Seriously dude? Did you say the same thing when marijuana became illegal?

Nope you did not but you blame cigarettes for all the smoke in the atmosphere or did I misread that or is this not what the thread is about?

Marijuana under Federal law is & has been illegal for many years.

texansrangerfan73
11-30-2011, 08:44 PM
BTW I'm done with this thread. My opinion is this: What people do in their personal & private lifes is none of my business. How parents raise their own children or what they done in front of them is none of my business. The only way it will ever become my business is if it concerns my family, children or myself. In short others should just live their own lifes & worry less about others & their lifes!! Enjoy the P&R section.

Hilfiger1975
11-30-2011, 08:48 PM
BTW I'm done with this thread. My opinion is this: What people do in their personal & private lifes is none of my business. How parents raise their own children or what they done in front of them is none of my business. The only way it will ever become my business is if it concerns my family, children or myself. In short others should just live their own lifes & worry less about others & their lifes!! Enjoy the P&R section.
You'll be back...they always come back...

andrewhoya
11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Nope you did not but you blame cigarettes for all the smoke in the atmosphere or did I misread that or is this not what the thread is about?

Marijuana under Federal law is & has been illegal for many years.

....please quote me where I said this. Anyone?

andrewhoya
11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
You'll be back...they always come back...

Like you? :winking0071:

And redsoxx11... boy he was a nut.

Hilfiger1975
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Like you? :winking0071:

And redsoxx11... boy he was a nut.
:winking0071:

jaybird_1981
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Hoya for someone who is such a big Ron Paul fan wanting to ban smoking would be totally against what he stands for.

spuds1961
12-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Well growing up in a family of alcoholics and smokers I can see where drinking and smoking will affect your children growing up.I do smoke,made it past the peer pressure in high school,didn't start till I was about 21.I do enjoy a few beers after a hard days work,but my son has never seen me drunk,I pick when I have one too many,usually when me and the Mrs go out of town.I have respect for non-smokers and I myself am trying to quit,I only smoke in 2 places when I'm home,the bathroom and in the woods behind my house.I've gone from 2 packs a day to 1/2 a pack and I don't smoke around non-smokers anymore.I'm 50 now and I admit smoking is probably one of the nastiest habits to pick up,but once you're addicted it is also one of the hardest to quit.

andrewhoya
12-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Hoya for someone who is such a big Ron Paul fan wanting to ban smoking would be totally against what he stands for.

I wouldn't say a huge fan, just one of the only ones who isn't crazy :winking0071:

mrveggieman
12-01-2011, 09:08 AM
This. War on drugs (marijuana at least) should end. Just funneling money into a pointless cause.

+1

BTW this is coming from a non smoker, non drug user.

duane1969
12-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Actually cigarette butts are a big contributor to ground water pollution.

Think about it.
- What is the butt? A filter.
- What does it filter out? Tar, nicotine, formaldehyde, amonia, acetone, carbon monoxide, arsenic...to name a few.
- What happens as the filter decomposes? It releases it's contents.
- What has the most contact with cig butts? The ground and water.

Does one filter pollute that much? No. But 500 billion cigarettes a year equals 500 billion cigarette butts in landfills and tossed on the ground. It takes 20 years for a cigarette butt to fully decompose. 20 years x 500 billions cig butts = 10 trillion cigarette butts in landfills and on the ground, decomposing and releasing toxins into the ground and water.

mrveggieman
12-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Actually cigarette butts are a big contributor to ground water pollution.

Think about it.
- What is the butt? A filter.
- What does it filter out? Tar, nicotine, formaldehyde, amonia, acetone, carbon monoxide, arsenic...to name a few.
- What happens as the filter decomposes? It releases it's contents.
- What has the most contact with cig butts? The ground and water.

Does one filter pollute that much? No. But 500 billion cigarettes a year equals 500 billion cigarette butts in landfills and tossed on the ground. It takes 20 years for a cigarette butt to fully decompose. 20 years x 500 billions cig butts = 10 trillion cigarette butts in landfills and on the ground, decomposing and releasing toxins into the ground and water.

Church!! :love0030:

duane1969
12-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Church!! :love0030:

LOL is it obvious that I teach high schools kids about the negatives of tobacco abuse?

andrewhoya
12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
LOL is it obvious that I teach high schools kids about the negatives of tobacco abuse?

Coming from a HS kid, I can tell you that the majority of us- not including myself- couldn't care less about water pollution :winking0071:

duwal
12-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm 34 and have never smoked or drank and pretty sure never will

duane1969
12-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Coming from a HS kid, I can tell you that the majority of us- not including myself- couldn't care less about water pollution :winking0071:

Oh I know. This is just an aspect that I touch on when discussing the matter. The best prevention method is the biography of Gruen von Behrens http://www.hypnotismwithattitude.com/hypno2_013.htm

CavFanatic31
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Whether it's right or wrong, it's not going anywhere.... it's all about the $$$$$