PDA

View Full Version : Jeramiah 1:1-5

mrveggieman
12-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Here is todays discussion topic. All are welcome to participate regardless of religious or political beliefs. The holiday season is upon us. A lot of people either grew up on christmas trees or still put up christmas trees. My question is why do christians put up christmas trees despite of what jeramiah 10:1-5 says? Also why do others celebrate christmas even though it is celebrating the birth of jesus that you do not believe in? It seems like the Jews are the only ones who got this one right according to their beliefs. They believe in the old testament which Jeramiah comes from and they do not believe in jesus and therefore do not celebrate christmas. Thoughts, opinions or would any of our panel of religious experts prove why it is ok to put up a christmas tree?

"Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them. 3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter. 5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."

Correction I meant to say Jeramiah 10: 1-5 not Jeramiah 1. That already proves that I am not God if I can't even get a simple bible verse right.

duane1969
12-01-2011, 09:21 AM
I would say this.

First, concerning the tree that is referenced in those verses, the wood of the tree is modified into a desired shape or form, "and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.", into an idol ("their idols cannot speak"). Other than some branch trimming I would say that most Christmas trees are erected in their cut form, not shaped into human or deity form.

Second, those verses refer to a tree being worshipped. The Christmas tree is a symbol of Christmas just like a turkey/pumpkin is a symbol of Thanksgiving or a heart/Cupid is a symbol of Valentine's Day. The Christmas tree is not an idol. It is not worshipped (at least not by many) and in society it is not treated as a god or deity like the tree in those verses would have been.

I have seen similar questions concerning ancient Druid religions. The Druids would cut down an evergreen tree (yew) and take it into their home. However, Druids worshipped the tree (and plants in general). Christians do not worship the tree itself. It is a symbol of a celebration, not the subject of the celebration.

Interestingly, the Druids preferred using the wood of the yew to make their wands and staffs. I wonder if the verses you referenced are about the Druids?