PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Bans Interracial Couples

Star_Cards
12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Kentucky Bans Interracial Couples (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/01/kentucky-church-interracial-marriage-ban?newsfeed=true)

sanfran22
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
That's just plain stupid....

Star_Cards
12-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I liked that this guy was okay with allowing them to funerals.

sanfran22
12-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I liked that this guy was okay with allowing them to funerals.

Yeah, what the heck is up with that. It's ok to die I guess?

mrveggieman
12-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Wait so this is not the kind of christanity that you want me to follow?

sanfran22
12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Wait so this is not the kind of christanity that you want me to follow?

You can follow whatever you choose. Doesn't mean it's correct.

Star_Cards
12-01-2011, 03:59 PM
damn, I get that people have histories, but let's try not to rehash every thread.

mrveggieman
12-01-2011, 04:15 PM
damn, I get that people have histories, but let's try not to rehash every thread.

Sorry I was just trying to have a little bit of fun with my buddy. :kiss: We'll take it back to the religious discussion.

andrewhoya
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
........ I have no words.

habsheaven
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow!!!

ensbergcollector
12-01-2011, 04:59 PM
this is wrong to the point of obscene.

marekschwarz33
12-01-2011, 05:09 PM
This story is sickening. However, I must say that the original poster's title is extremely misleading. If I am reading the article correctly, Kentucky did not ban interracial couples, one small baptist church in eastern Kentucky did. Big difference.

*censored*
12-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, it's just one church, so the title is wayyy off.

Ironic: it's at Gulnare Freewill baptist church. Doesn't sound too "free will" to me.

gatorboymike
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Way to show that patent-pending Christian Love™.

Hilfiger1975
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
This right here, is just one more example of racism and how it is still alive and strong in America...it's good to see "strong" Christian beliefs...:rolleyes:

Hilfiger1975
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
You beat me to it! -shakes fist-

:winking0071:

ensbergcollector
12-01-2011, 08:10 PM
This right here, is just one more example of racism and how it is still alive and strong in America...it's good to see "strong" Christian beliefs...:rolleyes:

because christians are the only racists! :scared0012:

Hilfiger1975
12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
because christians are the only racists! :scared0012:
You said it not me...

duwal
12-01-2011, 08:44 PM
That's just plain stupid....

but don't you have no problem with gays being banned from marriage?

brandonbarnett
12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
I was really shocked when I heard this on the Radio on the way home from work, this is so sicking to me, and said thing is this happens in small town churchs and it ain't right the church I grew up in asked a Black couple to leave cuz they were black and it's always made me sick and we quit the church....... I don't know about ya'll but the God I learn from and Love teach's me to love and respect my fellow Man and Woman, Love em and NOT JUDGE em..... I never learned its ok to be biased about it, sorry for rambling but this makes me so sick I wanna puke........ There is not 1 single person in this world who can/should or is allowed to deny teaching the word just because you don't like a mixed couple grow up, and remember your a teacher of the word NOT GOD (him/her self) so DON'T JUDGE the people who want to attend your Church.....

duane1969
12-02-2011, 05:48 AM
This story is sickening. However, I must say that the original poster's title is extremely misleading. If I am reading the article correctly, Kentucky did not ban interracial couples, one small baptist church in eastern Kentucky did. Big difference.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who caught that.

Judging all Christians by the actions of a few is pretty narrow-minded. Imagine what the world opinion of athiest and comic book collectors would be if they were judged by the way you two act in here.

mrveggieman
12-02-2011, 08:19 AM
It trips me out how some christians like this church and like that idiot jerry fallwell can preach racism and segregation even though the bible dosen't referr to anyone by their race. But then those same right wing christians want to call other religions racist. Ain't that the coffee calling the kettle black.

Hilfiger1975
12-02-2011, 08:32 AM

Judging all Christians by the actions of a few is pretty narrow-minded. Imagine what the world opinion of athiest and comic book collectors would be if they were judged by the way you two act in here.
If having opinions is "acting" then i'm sorry it bothers you that much...i guess the same can be said for a lot of people on how they "act" in here...

Star_Cards
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM

YIKES!!! yes that was a mistype. didn't mean to lead anyone to believe the state of kentucky banned interracial couples.. lol. Completely an error on my part. must.... proof read.... better.

Star_Cards
12-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Again... complete mistype on my part. embarrassing.

very true. good thing not all christians are of the same mind. Although I'm an atheist and I feel I act just fine. :) Although my headline proof reading needs some work, obviously.

Star_Cards
12-02-2011, 09:45 AM
It trips me out how some christians like this church and like that idiot jerry fallwell can preach racism and segregation even though the bible dosen't referr to anyone by their race. But then those same right wing christians want to call other religions racist. Ain't that the coffee calling the kettle black.

there's definitely some hypocrisy out there amongst some religious folk when if comes to things like this. as an outsider to religion that's one of the biggest turn offs about religion in general and not just christianity. on the face it's said to be about love and acceptance and then deep down inside there's the part that causes this guy and some others to believe that interracial marriage or gay marriage, among other things is bad and unacceptable.

ensbergcollector
12-02-2011, 10:29 AM
let's at least keep in perspective that this was decided by 9 people i believe. 100% against it but it is an awfully small sample to be making judgements against christianity.

Star_Cards
12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
^ true story.

gatorboymike
12-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Oh, you mean like you already do?

I'm not judging all Christians by these people's actions, and for you to claim so is an obvious attempt at a red herring. I'm saying these people do an awful job of living up to the ideals to which they claim to adhere.

duane1969
12-02-2011, 08:38 PM
If having opinions is "acting" then i'm sorry it bothers you that much...i guess the same can be said for a lot of people on how they "act" in here...

By "acting" I meant being unbiased and open-minded. I thought that was obvious.

Oh, you mean like you already do?

I'm not judging all Christians by these people's actions, and for you to claim so is an obvious attempt at a red herring. I'm saying these people do an awful job of living up to the ideals to which they claim to adhere.

How do I act?

And your comment about "Christian Love" was clearly intended as a generalization, not a specific condemnation of this specific act. Why you would try to deny your modus operandi is beyond me.

#1 Broncos Fan
12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
This church and its other members that stay should be ashamed to even be associated, people like this are ignorant and have no place in normal society! Heck I am a white guy and my family has a mix of all kinds of races from Black, Pacific Islander to Asian and find any kind of racism completely wrong seriously people stop this garbage it should be a crime to be racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

duane1969
12-02-2011, 08:47 PM
This church and its other members that stay should be ashamed to even be associated, people like this are ignorant and have no place in normal society! Heck I am a white guy and my family has a mix of all kinds of races from Black, Pacific Islander to Asian and find any kind of racism completely wrong seriously people stop this garbage it should be a crime to be racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In most cases like this, it is. The problem is that what they are doing isn't really covered under law. They are not stopping interracial couples from attending church, just from being full members and from taking part in church ceremonies.

The sad part is that these people don't even know the Bible that they are reading.

sanfran22
12-05-2011, 10:13 AM
The church reversed it's decision....anyone see it covered on the news? I did, on fox *gasp*.

mrveggieman
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
The church reversed it's decision....anyone see it covered on the news? I did, on fox *gasp*.

Links please.

sanfran22
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Links please.
I think you can find them. Like I said, mainstream media slow to the draw as usual.

sanfran22
12-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Here's the actual station I saw it on this am......
http://www.fox8.com/news/nationworld/wsbt-ky-church-overturns-ban-on-interracial-couples-20111204,0,4938919.story

mrveggieman
12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Here's the actual station I saw it on this am......
http://www.fox8.com/news/nationworld/wsbt-ky-church-overturns-ban-on-interracial-couples-20111204,0,4938919.story

It's 2011. Why did the church even have this ban in the first place? The only reason why they overturned it was because of all the bad press they got. They are just a bunch of hate mongers and are no different from fred phelps, jerry fallwell or westboro baptist church.

sanfran22
12-05-2011, 10:40 AM
It's 2011. Why did the church even have this ban in the first place? The only reason why they overturned it was because of all the bad press they got. They are just a bunch of hate mongers and are no different from fred phelps, jerry fallwell or westboro baptist church.

That's has nothing to do with the point I was making....

mrveggieman
12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
That's has nothing to do with the point I was making....

So what is your point?

sanfran22
12-05-2011, 10:46 AM
So what is your point?

If you can't see it, I can't help you.
Here ya go anyway....
The media was all real quick to pick up on the story when they appeared to be racist. Now only one network ran the decision to lift the ban...hmmmmm, I find it pretty interesting and pretty telling.

Star_Cards
12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I just saw the story on HLN. The do quick stories so it was nothing in depth or with commentary. Just the story.

duane1969
12-05-2011, 10:49 AM

I am just taking a shot here. The ban was brought up by the former pastor. Knowing church politics like I do, I can see a church division with the majority going with the old pastor, the old pastor and some of his supporters being run off and a new vote occuring.

mrveggieman
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
If you can't see it, I can't help you.
Here ya go anyway....
The media was all real quick to pick up on the story when they appeared to be racist. Now only one network ran the decision to lift the ban...hmmmmm, I find it pretty interesting and pretty telling.

No matter what side of the fence your are on the first rule of journalism is controversy sells. So that is why everyone picked up on this story. Second this church is a spirit of racism and the only reason why it reversed it's stance was because all the negative press was hurting it's bottom line. At this point no one cares if they reverse their decision or not.

gatorboymike
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
His point is that Fox News' agenda is to make Christian churches look good. And oh yes, they look real good in this story. Almost as good as the guy who used to be a thief, or the guy who used to beat his kids until they got big enough to hit back. Choice of metaphors extremely deliberate.