PDA

View Full Version : Woolly mammoth to be brought back to life from cloned bone marrow within 5 years

pwaldo
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2069541/Woolly-mammoth-brought-life-cloned-bone-marrow-years.html

Scientists believe it may be possible to clone a woolly mammoth within five years after finding well-preserved bone marrow in a thigh bone recovered from permafrost soil in Siberia.

Teams from Russia's Sakha Republic's mammoth museum and Japan's Kinki University will launch fully-fledged joint research next year aiming to recreate the giant mammal, Japan's Kyodo News reported from Yakutsk, Russia.

By replacing the nuclei of egg cells from an elephant with those taken from the mammoth's marrow cells, embryos with mammoth DNA can be produced, Kyodo said, citing the researchers.

The scientists will then plant the embryos into elephant wombs for delivery as the two species are close relatives, the report said.

Mammoths became extinct about 10,000 years ago.

But the discovery in August in Siberia has increased the chances of a successful cloning.

For scientists involved in the research since the late 1990s, finding nuclei with undamaged mammoth genes has been a challenge.

Global warming has thawed ground in eastern Russia that is usually almost permanently frozen, leading to the discoveries of a number of frozen mammoths, the report said.

AUTaxMan
12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Why would anyone want to do this? Just because?

NyFanCam01
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
weird.
these people are crazy.

and I highly doubt this works out.

habsheaven
12-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Why would people want to do this? Are you serious? It's an opportunity to give life to a species that is now extinct. I think it would be great.

freethrowtommy
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Jurassic Park, anyone?

maniac133
12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
This would be awesome!

andrewhoya
12-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Why would people want to do this? Are you serious? It's an opportunity to give life to a species that is now extinct. I think it would be great.

Me too!

mugatu471
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Pretty awesome tbh

mrveggieman
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm curious to see how it would work out. Also would you eat cloned meat? What do religions thank about cloning?

AUTaxMan
12-06-2011, 12:35 AM

there's a reason why those things don't exist any more. i don't know what it is, but i'm not going to question it.

gatorboymike
12-06-2011, 05:02 AM
(Insert Jurassic Park clip of Jeff Goldblum doing hand gestures and saying "Man recreates dinosaurs...dinosaurs destroy man...")

habsheaven
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
there's a reason why those things don't exist any more. i don't know what it is, but i'm not going to question it.

There is also a reason man may one day have the ability to do this. I could argue that reason is your God. Maybe He wants man to do this. I'm not going to question it.

angel0430
12-06-2011, 09:57 AM
This would be awesome if they can do this in a controlled/enclosed environment. If they start speadiing the species around the world (I am sure that every nation/country will want to have one) then we can see more issues with this.

sanfran22
12-06-2011, 10:42 AM
It's a slippery slope for sure. No thanks.

Star_Cards
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
I think it's a great idea and worth the effort.

Star_Cards
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM

I guess that's true and I'm sure there would be some issues if they do in fact clone these and tried to reintroduce them into the wild. I'd assume that if they did clone a mammoth that reintroducing them wouldn't be a wise decision, but cloning one other than that would be fine by me. Are there some other risks that I'm not seeing?