PDA

View Full Version : GA lawmaker: Don't require permits for gun owners

mrveggieman
12-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Look I'm all for the 2nd amendment right to bear arms but this guy is taking it to the extreme. If you need a driver's liscence to drive a car then having a permit to own a gun isn't too far fetched either.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/lawmaker-dont-require-carrying-1253653.html

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
You don't need a driver's license to drive a car. You only need it if you are going to drive on state highways. You don't need a permit to own a gun either, unless you are going to carry it in a public place.

Have you ever thought about why we require said licenses and permits? They don't prove any level of competency or safety.

mrveggieman
12-07-2011, 04:44 PM
You don't need a driver's license to drive a car. You only need it if you are going to drive on state highways. You don't need a permit to own a gun either, unless you are going to carry it in a public place.

Have you ever thought about why we require said licenses and permits? They don't prove any level of competency or safety.

So what are you suggesting? Should we let anyone have a gun without any proof that they are capable of handling it?

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
So what are you suggesting? Should we let anyone have a gun without any proof that they are capable of handling it?

A gun permit is not proof of anything other than gun ownership.

duane1969
12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
A permit gives you the right to carry a weapon in a public place. Not having a permit does not prevent ownership. You can own a gun and have it on your own property or on private property without a permit.

You are confusing a permit to carry and a background check to buy. Two different things.

beachboy22
12-08-2011, 01:09 AM

Some people buy a gun and learn how to handle it afterwards through going to the rage and just time shooting. Permits and registering don't do much because anyone can find a gun through a private sale. Here in Florida I can purchase a gun in a private sale because I am 19, but I can't buy ammo cause of the federal law that says you have to be 21 to buy rounds. Makes going to the range to shoot my gun I legally own a little difficult! Also I can't get my concealed weapons permit cause I am not 21. I am just throwing some aspects of gun laws out there and I think all gun laws should be consistent throughout all states

mrveggieman
12-08-2011, 09:01 AM
some people buy a gun and learn how to handle it afterwards through going to the rage and just time shooting. Permits and registering don't do much because anyone can find a gun through a private sale. Here in florida i can purchase a gun in a private sale because i am 19, but i can't buy ammo cause of the federal law that says you have to be 21 to buy rounds. Makes going to the range to shoot my gun i legally own a little difficult! Also i can't get my concealed weapons permit cause i am not 21. I am just throwing some aspects of gun laws out there and i think all gun laws should be consistent throughout all states

+100

pghin08
12-08-2011, 09:04 AM

What? I'm pretty sure I had to take a test to prove my competency before I was permitted to drive a car.

And to be fair, it's not easy to drive w/o a license, as (at least in PA), many of our roads, including my own, are state-maintained. I couldn't even legally make it out my driveway.

AUTaxMan
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
What? I'm pretty sure I had to take a test to prove my competency before I was permitted to drive a car.

And to be fair, it's not easy to drive w/o a license, as (at least in PA), many of our roads, including my own, are state-maintained. I couldn't even legally make it out my driveway.

My 4-year-old could pass that test.

mrveggieman
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Which one? The driving or the gun test?

Hairylemon
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Prove it.....

pghin08
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM

I didn't think my driver's test was a joke. I had to do pretty much everything you'd have to do in most driving situations.

mrveggieman
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Prove it.....

There are some people on here who refuse to provide proof when asked. They insist that you take their word at face value. :winking0071:

AUTaxMan
12-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I was speaking figuratively.

gatorboymike
12-08-2011, 04:34 PM
"Let's pass conceal and carry
So Curly, Moe and Larry
Can act like Dirty Harry
Now let us pray for peace!"
- Roy Zimmerman

It's interesting, but not at all surprising, how Republicans want to create huge throngs of heavily armed maniacs roving the streets.

mrveggieman
12-08-2011, 04:37 PM
"Let's pass conceal and carry
So Curly, Moe and Larry
Can act like Dirty Harry
Now let us pray for peace!"
- Roy Zimmerman

It's interesting, but not at all surprising, how Republicans want to create huge throngs of heavily armed maniacs roving the streets.

+1

Everyone knows I'm the biggest supporter of the second amendment but c'mon we need a little bit of common sense. No one should be restricted from the God given right to defend oneself and his/her family but if you want to pack heat you should at least know what you are doing.

Star_Cards
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm just not that big of a fan of potentially untrained people carrying around arms and getting to decide who and what is a threat to them. I know that there are people who carry legally and are proficient and don't go around half-cocked with their fire arm. I also know that there are a lot of criminals carrying weapons that have no training. I guess it's hard for me to see a reason to carry a weapon as I haven't ever lived in an are where I have ever felt I needed a weapon for self defense. I've also never been in a situation where I've felt the need to have a weapon. Not that one can always control if they are in a situation, but more times than not, most people aren't in need of a fire arm. I guess one can argue that wouldn't you rather have a weapon just in case. I guess maybe, but are there just as many cases where something bad has happened and one could say I wish I hadn't had that gun?

gatorboymike
12-08-2011, 04:46 PM
+1

Everyone knows I'm the biggest supporter of the second amendment but c'mon we need a little bit of common sense. No one should be restricted from the God given right to defend oneself and his/her family but if you want to pack heat you should at least know what you are doing.

As a gun owner, I can tell you there's a big difference between somebody who wants to protect their family and some bloodthirsty, psychopathic meathead redneck whose heart is full of hate and whose mind is full of nothing, who hates "duh gubmint," who thinks he's called upon by God to kill everyone who doesn't look like him and think like him, and who has a practically sexual lust to blow away any living thing unlucky enough to enter his field of vision. And people like that are the ones this bill is intended to benefit, and everyone knows it. The Republican party has put inestimable amounts of money and effort into arming those maniacs to the teeth and giving them formal organization and direction (thank you Tea Party), so Jethro and Cletus and Jim Bob and Joe Bob and Billy Bob and Billy Joe Bob and Billy Joe Jim Bob and the other Cletus can swim around in a pile of automatic weapons like Scrooge McDuck swims around in his pile of money. You'd almost think they were raising militias for a new civil war. Maybe that's what they mean when they talk about taking Umerikuh back for Jaysus.

mrveggieman
12-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm just not that big of a fan of potentially untrained people carrying around arms and getting to decide who and what is a threat to them. I know that there are people who carry legally and are proficient and don't go around half-cocked with their fire arm. I also know that there are a lot of criminals carrying weapons that have no training. I guess it's hard for me to see a reason to carry a weapon as I haven't ever lived in an are where I have ever felt I needed a weapon for self defense. I've also never been in a situation where I've felt the need to have a weapon. Not that one can always control if they are in a situation, but more times than not, most people aren't in need of a fire arm. I guess one can argue that wouldn't you rather have a weapon just in case. I guess maybe, but are there just as many cases where something bad has happened and one could say I wish I hadn't had that gun?

I'm not exactly sure where you live at but if you live anywhere in america you need a gun.

beachboy22
12-08-2011, 05:05 PM
I just like to have my gun just in case of a situation occurs where it could save my life, I have it! A gun is the equalizer if I am some where and get aproached by 3 or 4 people that want to do harm to me. I carry just for self protection because there are so many crazzy people out in the world today that you never know what kind of situation you might find your self in, even in the smallest of towns. An example I have for this is the shooting at Virginia Tech today.