PDA

View Full Version : Firefighters reach a disgusting new low

theonedru
12-07-2011, 04:22 PM
All i can say is wow, firefighters have sunk to a new low, disgusting and shameful. Why did they even bother to show up is my question except to possibly mock these people in some way for not paying this fee. They get enough of their $ when My tax monies pays them and their funding.

A Tennessee couple helplessly watched their home burn to the ground, along with all of their possessions, because they did not pay a $75 annual fee to the local fire department.

Vicky Bell told the NBC affiliate WPSD-TV that she called 911 when her mobile home in Obion County caught fire. Firefighters arrived on the scene but as the fire raged, they simply stood by and did nothing.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/tennessee-family-home-burns-while-firefighters-watch-191241763.html

andrewhoya
12-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I think you mean that fire department has sunk to a new low. Not firefighters in general.

Star_Cards
12-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I think it's one in the same here. the fire fighters showed up and didn't do anything? even worse the just stood by. I get that they follow orders and orders were probably given, but I find it odd that in an emergency any first responders would be looking up if the person has their $75 fee paid. If they hadn't paid then why exactly were they even dispatched? I guess they were there in case a "subscriber's" house caught on fire because they didn't put this one out.

this quote from the mayor is sickening. "if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee." Are these people not paying taxes? Seems to me that they should be able to count on fire fighters to put out their house fire no matter where they stand on their tax payments.

Yes, I get the point that people should pay their taxes for these social services, but this is rather harsh in my opinion. harsh and uncalled for.

mrveggieman
12-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah I was reading that earlier. I also blame the county for charging it's residence a fee for having access to the fire department. SMH.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
This was my nephew. Read the article closely, please.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009/10/21/firefighter-cuts-may-mean-disbanding-elyria-dive-team/

There have been a whole bunch of errors and mistakes made in my nephew's death...and the city did all it could to hide them...i read in a article a few days ago a little boy was under water for 30 minutes just recently and lived and there have been many others cases of the water being cold and people surviving...i believe Logan would have survived if things would have been differently (the water was cold); or that's what i like to believe...

mrveggieman
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
This was my nephew. Read the article closely, please.

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2009/10/21/firefighter-cuts-may-mean-disbanding-elyria-dive-team/

There have been a whole bunch of errors and mistakes made in my nephew's death...and the city did all it could to hide them...

Wow I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 04:51 PM
The reason i posted that was to show that it's not the Firefighters fault, but the people who CONTROL the Firefighters...

Star_Cards
12-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I see your point, but think if the fighters are on the scene someone could have helped put the fire out. putting a fire out is a little different than a dive rescue in my opinion. seems a bit less specialized for any fire fighter. I'm sure the call came from a chief but he's still a fire fighter. If they drove out there they should have helped the homeowners, not sit and watch.

greg271126817
12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I saw this the other day, and its not the first time i have heard of it, i know i would be really upset if that happened to me, Do they have a police fee too? Hopefully nobodys home is being broken into or there is a fight outside with someone who has a knife or gun. They may not make it out of that one. What a bunch of BS

FFEMT840
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
First off I am a firefighter and we do not charge this fee. The County Government requires citizens to pay fire taxes that pays for our services. That being said dont blame the firefighters just...

OBOMBA
12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
if you are complaining about your fire fighters then im sure those nazi american cops are nobody .

theonedru
12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
if you are complaining about your fire fighters then im sure those nazi american cops are nobody .

please keep remarks like this to yourself, this is not about police so keep them out of this.

duane1969
12-07-2011, 06:22 PM
As a former volunteer firefighter and captain on the department, I can atest that this is not something that a firefighter would do. These fees are a city government thing and I can assure you that the firefighters were probably just as upset that they were told to stand down.

Also, that is not a house, it is a trailer. They are a tinderbox. Anyone who has witnessed a trailer on fire knows that they burn hot and they burn fast. My guess is that by the time the fire dept. got there the trailer was fully engulfed. Unrolling hose and spraying it would have been tantamount to peeing on a forest fire. It is extremely rare that a trailer fire results in anything but a total loss.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
as a former volunteer firefighter and captain on the department, i can atest that this is not something that a firefighter would do. These fees are a city government thing and i can assure you that the firefighters were probably just as upset that they were told to stand down.

+1

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
please keep remarks like this to yourself, this is not about police so keep them out of this.
Guess you don't read the news often, huh?

theonedru
12-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Guess you don't read the news often, huh?

Doesn't matter if they have a beef with it then they can post a new topic, it doesn't belong in this one

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I think it's one in the same here. the fire fighters showed up and didn't do anything? even worse the just stood by. I get that they follow orders and orders were probably given, but I find it odd that in an emergency any first responders would be looking up if the person has their $75 fee paid. If they hadn't paid then why exactly were they even dispatched? I guess they were there in case a "subscriber's" house caught on fire because they didn't put this one out.

this quote from the mayor is sickening. "if firefighters responded to non-subscribers, no one would have an incentive to pay the fee." Are these people not paying taxes? Seems to me that they should be able to count on fire fighters to put out their house fire no matter where they stand on their tax payments.

Yes, I get the point that people should pay their taxes for these social services, but this is rather harsh in my opinion. harsh and uncalled for.

This was a city fire department. The trailer was not in city limits, but in the county. The residents of the trailer had the option, since they don't pay city property taxes, to pay for the fire service. They chose not to do so. The city had no more obligation to put out the fire than they do to pick up their trash on Wednesdays.

It's not like the city could send them a bill after the fact like an ambulance service could.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM
This was a city fire department. The trailer was not in city limits, but in the county. The residents of the trailer had the option, since they don't pay city property taxes, to pay for the fire service. They chose not to do so. The city had no more obligation to put out the fire than they do to pick up their trash on Wednesdays.
Typical American view, then people wonder why this country is heading where it's heading...God Bless America!

Then people wonder why we still have homeless in America...it's because of views like this...

theonedru
12-07-2011, 07:12 PM

It's not like the city could send them a bill after the fact like an ambulance service could.

Then once again I argue, why did they bother to show up then if they had zero obligation to help them?

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Typical American view, then people wonder why this country is heading where it's heading...God Bless America!

You do understand that services cost money, right?

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Then once again I argue, why did they bother to show up then if they had zero obligation to help them?

They probably responded to the call as quickly as they could before they found out that the people hasn't paid for their services.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
What about a human life? Is there a cost on that, too?

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
What about a human life? Is there a cost on that, too?

I didn't realize someone died in the fire.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I didn't realize someone died in the fire.
They could have...maybe next time they will...then what you going to say?

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 07:20 PM

You cannot presume that they would have responded in the same manner if they knew someone was inside. Arguing hypotheticals is pointless.

Hilfiger1975
12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
You cannot presume that they would have responded in the same manner if they knew someone was inside. Arguing hypotheticals is pointless.
Sure, you're right...:winking0071:

sanfran22
12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Nah, everythings free. Healthcare, fire/police, schools, food, housing........That is the way it is right?

AUTaxMan
12-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Sure, you're right...:winking0071:

I'm always right.

INTIMADATOR2007
12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
They showed up to protect the houses surrounding the trailer that did pay the $75 fee. I dont agree with this departments way of doing things either , but the residence knew the rules and didn't participate in the rules so they lost there trailer while the neighbors paid the fee and that's why the firemen where there to protect the ones who paid the fee .

brandonbarnett
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
This is insane, I have never heard of paying fees for the fire dept..... Ofcourse I live in a small backwoods county and all of are guys are vols, but I could imagine it would suck to be a firefighter in that position basiclly going against what you learned to do over 75.00.......

jaybird_1981
12-07-2011, 09:57 PM

They did state in the article that if someone was in danger they would have acted.

Where I am from the county is also not covered by the city fire department mostly because of the distances involved. The county decided to form a volunteer fire department. I wonder if that is an option here?

OBOMBA
12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
As a former volunteer firefighter and captain on the department, I can atest that this is not something that a firefighter would do. These fees are a city government thing and I can assure you that the firefighters were probably just as upset that they were told to stand down.

Also, that is not a house, it is a trailer. They are a tinderbox. Anyone who has witnessed a trailer on fire knows that they burn hot and they burn fast. My guess is that by the time the fire dept. got there the trailer was fully engulfed. Unrolling hose and spraying it would have been tantamount to peeing on a forest fire. It is extremely rare that a trailer fire results in anything but a total loss.
i give you much respect for this

angel0430
12-08-2011, 02:48 PM

They usually show up anyway to make sure that the neighbors houses (the ones that pay the fee) are not in danger to burn down. The owners life were never at danger since they were already out of the house. There are rules and people agreed to follow it. They knew about the fee when they moved over there. Everyone else is paying the fee and not complaining.

Star_Cards
12-08-2011, 03:04 PM

at some point I'd think it's above a obligation or a fact of payment. Would this be different if a police officer refused to help some one out of city limits if they had someone in their house or something similar?

I get the points about the progress of the fire in the trailer as well. I guess we don't know at what state the fire was at when they got there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people paying their taxes/fair share, etc. but I don't think a public service organization should deny service because of a tax not paid. I'd think they could handle that after the fact if needed.

Star_Cards
12-08-2011, 03:08 PM
They usually show up anyway to make sure that the neighbors houses (the ones that pay the fee) are not in danger to burn down. The owners life were never at danger since they were already out of the house. There are rules and people agreed to follow it. They knew about the fee when they moved over there. Everyone else is paying the fee and not complaining.

I guess my thing is, at some point they are probably paying into the fire system with their regular taxes they pay. Would this $75 be the total tax these people pay for fire coverage or are there other taxes like property or others that also funnel into the fire and rescue system. That's how mine is set up so I could be wrong. I just think in emergency issues one shouldn't be limited to what service they get if a $75 fee is outstanding. yes I get that they should have paid it and that is their fault completely. It's kind of like the power companies that give grace periods to people who can't pay their heating bill in the winter in my opinion.

angel0430
12-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I guess my thing is, at some point they are probably paying into the fire system with their regular taxes they pay. Would this $75 be the total tax these people pay for fire coverage or are there other taxes like property or others that also funnel into the fire and rescue system. That's how mine is set up so I could be wrong. I just think in emergency issues one shouldn't be limited to what service they get if a $75 fee is outstanding. yes I get that they should have paid it and that is their fault completely. It's kind of like the power companies that give grace periods to people who can't pay their heating bill in the winter in my opinion.

The way the government works now a days I would not be surprised if they give the Fire department money from the taxes and from the fee...lol

Star_Cards
12-08-2011, 04:46 PM
yeah. I'd bet more than a $75 tax per person out of city limits has been paid to the firehouse.