PDA

View Full Version : Outscored by Kickers

CavFanatic31
12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
This is something I need to talk about and I hope you enjoy it at least a little...

I have pretty much been eliminated from the playoffs in my league simply because of kickers. I have been killed by kickers all year. Here are the numbers of what I have gone up against this year...

Week One- 8 points
Week Two- 8.5 Points
Week Three- 11 Points
Week Four- 5 Points
Week Five- 7 Points
Week Six- 12 Points
Week Seven- 13.5 Points
Week Eight- 11 Points
Week Nine- 13 Points
Week Ten- 14 Points
Week Eleven- 4 Points
Week Twelve- 18 Points
Week Thirteen- 11 Points
Week Fourteen- 14.5 Points

That's a total of 150.5 Points
Averages out to be 10.75 Points per week

Now, the most points in my league scored by a kicker this season is David Akers with 117.5

Here are a few players that around the same point totals as what I have gone against for kickers....

Mike Wallace
Frank Gore
Chris Johnson
Steve Smith
Jordy Nelson
Ryan Matthews
Greg Jennings

I could go on for quite awhile...

So imagine you having to play one of those players EVERY week instead of an ordinary kicker.

It is pretty easy for me to say that this is a big reason why my team went 8-5.

As far as "points for", I lead my league, and by quite a bit. I have 1649.8 Total points. The next best is 1614.7 total points (this team went 12-1). After that nobody is even out of the 1400s...

This may sound ridiculous but I WILL NOT PLAY FANTASY FOOTBALL AGAIN IF THE LEAGUE HAS KICKERS IN IT.

Star_Cards
12-11-2011, 08:16 PM
definitely have had some very big scores out of kickers this season.

justinhixson
12-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I had Akers this year :)

OnePimpTiger
12-11-2011, 08:50 PM
This may sound ridiculous but I WILL NOT PLAY FANTASY FOOTBALL AGAIN IF THE LEAGUE HAS KICKERS IN IT.

I hear a lot of people complain about this and I don't get it. In my mind, I want fantasy to be as close to the NFL as possible...and that happens in the NFL all the time. I also think kickers, D/ST, IDPs, #3/#4 WRs, etc are what separate the good from the great fantasy players. Anybody can pick Rodgers, Peterson, and Megatron, but it takes more research and football knowledge to make the right picks in the non-sexy parts of the game.

But I know some people just like the high scores from the household names...to each their own I guess, just my .02.

CavFanatic31
12-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I hear a lot of people complain about this and I don't get it. In my mind, I want fantasy to be as close to the NFL as possible...and that happens in the NFL all the time. I also think kickers, D/ST, IDPs, #3/#4 WRs, etc are what separate the good from the great fantasy players. Anybody can pick Rodgers, Peterson, and Megatron, but it takes more research and football knowledge to make the right picks in the non-sexy parts of the game.

But I know some people just like the high scores from the household names...to each their own I guess, just my .02.

That may apply, but unfortunatly it doesn't. I had Dan Bailey and Neil Rackers all year. Bailey was on the bench in his 1 points game as well.

OnePimpTiger
12-11-2011, 10:10 PM
That may apply, but unfortunatly it doesn't. I had Dan Bailey and Neil Rackers all year. Bailey was on the bench in his 1 points game as well.

It does apply, but it doesn't always trump blind luck. 9 times out of 10, the best teams top to bottom, including kickers, make the playoffs. Trust me, I know just as well as you do...I scored the 2nd most points in my big money league and ended up 5-7 and out of the playoffs. Somehow, I got everyone's best week every week. I scored the most or second most points in both of my other leagues as well and ended up 1st in both of those...which one do you think is the fluke? Kickers win games in the NFL and they win games in fantasy...if they didn't, it wouldn't be a representation of the NFL.

CavFanatic31
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
It does apply, but it doesn't always trump blind luck. 9 times out of 10, the best teams top to bottom, including kickers, make the playoffs. Trust me, I know just as well as you do...I scored the 2nd most points in my big money league and ended up 5-7 and out of the playoffs. Somehow, I got everyone's best week every week. I scored the most or second most points in both of my other leagues as well and ended up 1st in both of those...which one do you think is the fluke? Kickers win games in the NFL and they win games in fantasy...if they didn't, it wouldn't be a representation of the NFL.

It's not really about me not having as good of a kicker as my opponent or my opponent having a great kicker that is giving them wins. The kicker I have is the second best kicker on fantasy. What I'm saying is, is that I just happen to have been going against kickers on the very best weeks every single week. Even when it's a kicker not ranked too well. It isn't really me not understanding the importance of a kicker for the reason why I'd not want to play any more... It's just more frustrating to get killed by kickers every week than maybe an elite QB or RB.

OnePimpTiger
12-11-2011, 11:41 PM
It's not really about me not having as good of a kicker as my opponent or my opponent having a great kicker that is giving them wins. The kicker I have is the second best kicker on fantasy. What I'm saying is, is that I just happen to have been going against kickers on the very best weeks every single week. Even when it's a kicker not ranked too well. It isn't really me not understanding the importance of a kicker for the reason why I'd not want to play any more... It's just more frustrating to get killed by kickers every week than maybe an elite QB or RB.

I get it completely...and that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't think it was kickers, but the same thing happened to me...I somehow got everyone's best week, even though I outscored all but one of them on the season. The team that got me #2 in the league and $200 bucks last year didn't even make the playoffs because the fantasy gods were against me this year. It's extremely frustrating...but it happens every year in the NFL too, that's just how it is. It's not a reason to change the rules.

CavFanatic31
12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
For icing on the cake.... Dan Bailey (My kicker) makes a field goal that would pretty much net me a win this week, but the other team called a TO. Next try it gets blocked and now my defense has to put up good numbers to prevent me from being eliminated from the playoffs.

This crap won't end.

Star_Cards
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM

I missed his statement about not playing in leagues with kickers. I would never play in a league without kickers. they are part of the game and it seems fit that since they win games in the NFL that they would also do the same in fantasy. Every aspect of the game should be covered in fantasy, kicker or not.

CavFanatic31
12-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I missed his statement about not playing in leagues with kickers. I would never play in a league without kickers. they are part of the game and it seems fit that since they win games in the NFL that they would also do the same in fantasy. Every aspect of the game should be covered in fantasy, kicker or not.

I'm not sure if you think that I don't want to do it anymore because I don't think kickers should be in fantasy.... That's not the case. I'm just sick of dealing with them, I guess.

Rybowski
12-12-2011, 06:43 PM
It all comes down to drafting for a Kicker. I can remember losing with a team that had a kicker who had 5 FG's, but that happens. Akers is a great Fantasy Kicker because he routinely makes 50+ yard FG's, which in my league is bonus points.

CavFanatic31
12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
It all comes down to drafting for a Kicker. I can remember losing with a team that had a kicker who had 5 FG's, but that happens. Akers is a great Fantasy Kicker because he routinely makes 50+ yard FG's, which in my league is bonus points.

It's tough to tell at the draft i think... I was the first to draft a kicker in my draft because I knew going into it that they can put up close to the number of points as some WRs