PDA

View Full Version : Occupy Wall Street protesters intentionally shutting down West Coast ports

pwaldo
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1211/70296.html

The Occupy Wall Street movement shut down one large port Monday on the West Coast and disrupted operations at another as hundreds of protesters are threatening to shutter many others up and down the sea board throughout the day.

In a coordinated effort called “Shut Down Wall Street on the Waterfront,” the Occupy demonstrators in a host of cities, including Portland, San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, Tacoma and Seattle, are marching on the ports and attempting to shut down the docks in a show of opposition to corporate profits.

Star_Cards
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
kind of counter productive to their main cause. effect the so called 99% they talk about at their every day jobs that they obviously need more than these protestors to provide for their families.

pghin08
12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Totally ridiculous. As StarCards was saying, they're not sticking it to the 1%, they're screwing with every day working people who are just trying to do their jobs.

OBOMBA
12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
what do you geniuses suggest they do huh? at least they did something.

AUTaxMan
12-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Something productive.

mrveggieman
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Something productive.

Any suggestions???

AUTaxMan
12-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Any suggestions???

A shower would be a good start. Then I would start looking for work. If that fails, I would learn a skill or trade, and then I would get a job or I would go into business for myself.

marekschwarz33
12-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Perhaps they could read some literature by Austrian economists such as Ludwig Von Mises or Murray Rothbard.

duwal
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM

they should shut up, get a job and not worry about what amount of money others are making

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I have supported most of what OWS has done, I will not support this.

I think this will do more harm to public opinion than harm to 1%.

pghin08
12-12-2011, 08:23 PM
i have supported most of what ows has done, i will not support this.

+1

INTIMADATOR2007
12-12-2011, 09:13 PM
they should shut up, get a job and not worry about what amount of money others are making
Well said !

duane1969
12-12-2011, 09:20 PM

How about actually doing something productive. Shutting down ports hurts the people who work there, the people whose jobs it is to distribute what comes in from those ports and in general, all of us, the consumers.

Perhaps they could use a few geniuses like us in their midst. Based on their more recent activities it would appear that they are a bunch of idiots being directed by even bigger idiots.

AUTaxMan
12-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I have supported most of what OWS has done, I will not support this.

What, exactly, have they done that you support? At best, all they have done is protest crony capitalism.

OBOMBA
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
some people are just followers. how much money they make? or how about how much they steal? man some people are just truly uneducated and too stubborn to see what's going on. don't worry i am sure your corporate biased news will tell you everything you need to know.

single file right in line with the other ''geniuses''. LOL

freethrowtommy
12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
What, exactly, have they done that you support? At best, all they have done is protest crony capitalism.

I support for several reasons. Here they are:

I have no children, nor grandchildren, nor do I expect to have either. However, I realize or perhaps believe, that my right to breathe confers upon me a responsibility of stewardship for those who come after.
I am sick of the Otherism. Throughout my life I was always taught that Those Other People weren't trustworthy for some reason or another. Long ago I reached the point where I was no longer wondering why all those Other People I've actually physically met and interacted with aren't like what I was told they were going to be like, why I seemed to be so lucky as to always meet the anomaly, and simply realized that for whatever reason, my world tried to brainwash me. I do not understand this, and I'm mad as hell about it. I have been since I was 11.
I do not believe in slavery, indentured servitude, or paying for the sins of the fathers. All of this is simply shirking of responsibility in one fashion or another. Those who promote industry which favors the establishment and continuance of these conditions, whether in blatant name or covert action, need to man up.
And lastly, I'm done with the political demagoguery that has led to a society based on fear. Based on the fear that a Welfare Queen may get ahold of benefits through less than stand up means. Fear that a terrorist may be my neighbor. Fear that The Other Party may take away my right to XXXX, while My Party takes away my right to YYYY instead. I am willing to be taken for a fool, taken for a ride, by 10-15-20% if it means that 80-90% of good hearted, good working people, do not suffer unnecessarily.

I am done with this. I am done with this nonsense. I am simply done.
This is why I support.
I believe we can accomplish all of this by divorcing politics from corporations, from money in general. And if the rich people who cause those things don't like it? Go enslave another people. Get out. Leave. Go live in some other country, where maybe the populace would welcome your meddling interference. Any rich people with consciences who want to stay? Stay. Swim in your money. Buy private islands, I don't flipping care.
I believe that the 99% could do OK for themselves if we had to though. As near as I can tell we're paying for it all anyway, their endless wars, their endless industry subsidies, their endless military-industrial complex, their endless cronyism and their endless and boundless stupidity - they certainly aren't paying fair taxes.

ensbergcollector
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I support for several reasons. Here they are:

I have no children, nor grandchildren, nor do I expect to have either. However, I realize or perhaps believe, that my right to breathe confers upon me a responsibility of stewardship for those who come after.
I am sick of the Otherism. Throughout my life I was always taught that Those Other People weren't trustworthy for some reason or another. Long ago I reached the point where I was no longer wondering why all those Other People I've actually physically met and interacted with aren't like what I was told they were going to be like, why I seemed to be so lucky as to always meet the anomaly, and simply realized that for whatever reason, my world tried to brainwash me. I do not understand this, and I'm mad as hell about it. I have been since I was 11.
I do not believe in slavery, indentured servitude, or paying for the sins of the fathers. All of this is simply shirking of responsibility in one fashion or another. Those who promote industry which favors the establishment and continuance of these conditions, whether in blatant name or covert action, need to man up.
And lastly, I'm done with the political demagoguery that has led to a society based on fear. Based on the fear that a Welfare Queen may get ahold of benefits through less than stand up means. Fear that a terrorist may be my neighbor. Fear that The Other Party may take away my right to XXXX, while My Party takes away my right to YYYY instead. I am willing to be taken for a fool, taken for a ride, by 10-15-20% if it means that 80-90% of good hearted, good working people, do not suffer unnecessarily.

I am done with this. I am done with this nonsense. I am simply done.
This is why I support.
I believe we can accomplish all of this by divorcing politics from corporations, from money in general. And if the rich people who cause those things don't like it? Go enslave another people. Get out. Leave. Go live in some other country, where maybe the populace would welcome your meddling interference. Any rich people with consciences who want to stay? Stay. Swim in your money. Buy private islands, I don't flipping care.
I believe that the 99% could do OK for themselves if we had to though. As near as I can tell we're paying for it all anyway, their endless wars, their endless industry subsidies, their endless military-industrial complex, their endless cronyism and their endless and boundless stupidity - they certainly aren't paying fair taxes.

you do get that the 1% aren't to blame for hardly any of what you are railing against right? and please tell me how the top 1% paying 50% of the countries taxes isn't paying their fair share?

Honest question to all those who support these "occupy" people. What percentage of their income do you think is fair for the top 1% of the population to pay? no round about, just give me a number.