PDA

View Full Version : Today in dishonest Fox News Charts...

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 06:51 PM
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/fnc-an-20111212-unemployment.jpg

Note how the 8.6 percent unemployment rate in November looks higher than March's 8.8 percent rate, and about the same as the 9 percent unemployment rate in October.

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/fnc-an-20111212-markedchart.jpg

Here's how an honest chart of changes to the unemployment rate during 2011 looks:
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/bls-20111212-unemploymentrate-2011.jpg

This is still referred to as a News network?! HAHA!

habsheaven
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
You honestly didn't expect anything better from Fox did you?

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:07 PM
You honestly didn't expect anything better from Fox did you?

Nope... but there are a few others on here who did, I am sure.

texansrangerfan73
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Pretty sure Fox is right on mark with this. It has been between 9 & 10% since Obama took office. Only reason maybe 8.6 in Nov is the retail sectors need to part time employees for the holiday season!

pghin08
12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Pretty sure Fox is right on mark with this. It has been between 9 & 10% since Obama took office. Only reason maybe 8.6 in Nov is the retail sectors need to part time employees for the holiday season!

That's not the point. It's visually deceiving! It makes the 8.6% look higher than the 8.8%.

OnePimpTiger
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Whew, thank goodness! I thought we were in trouble at 8.6% unemployment...but it was just some faulty charts that are part of a hate scheme perpetrated by the only news source conservatives believe....

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Whew, thank goodness! I thought we were in trouble at 8.6% unemployment...but it was just some faulty charts that are part of a hate scheme perpetrated by the only news source conservatives believe....

I just find it hilarious. I mean, a graphing program doesn't just do that. You would actually have to employ a guy to create these graphs and intentionally distort them. I don't think I could do that job with good conscience.

INTIMADATOR2007
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I think i found the problem with the chart ......this part " From: http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005 "

Funny you take something from a web site designed to shut down fox news .Does fox get it right every time , probably not , but they are a far more trusting place to get news than anything coming from Media Matters .

ensbergcollector
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
wow, 1 point on the graph was in the wrong place. i'm glad there are watchdogs out there to warn us of this insidious plot. give me a break

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I think i found the problem with the chart ......this part " From: http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112120005 "

Funny you take something from a web site designed to shut down fox news .Does fox get it right every time , probably not , but they are a far more trusting place to get news than anything coming from Media Matters .

It is showing PICTURES FROM FOX NEWS. You can't distort that no matter how much you want to. You can continue to be blind if you want...

jdub1617
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
How is it that the mainstream media is dominated by left leaning journalism but when one news organization is right leaning it gets constantly attacked for not being "centrist" or whatever. This always baffles me. There's a reason they dominate ratings, they're more trusted than any other networks bias.

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
wow, 1 point on the graph was in the wrong place. i'm glad there are watchdogs out there to warn us of this insidious plot. give me a break

Mistakes like this on Fox have been taking place for YEARS. If you haven't seen them, you haven't been paying attention.

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:37 PM
How is it that the mainstream media is dominated by left leaning journalism but when one news organization is right leaning it gets constantly attacked for not being "centrist" or whatever. This always baffles me. There's a reason they dominate rankings, they're more trusted than any other networks bias.

Haha... you're funny.

jdub1617
12-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Haha... you're funny.

Haha.....thank you

INTIMADATOR2007
12-12-2011, 08:41 PM
It is showing PICTURES FROM FOX NEWS. You can't distort that no matter how much you want to. You can continue to be blind if you want...
Media matters has a history of photo shopping and editing things they have got from many conservative sites and tv staions since they have been a web site . They are supposed to be a web site exposing all media outlets dishonest coverage , But as you can see from going to the website they have a target on fox news . I suggest you find out more about media matters like where they get there funding and such before beliveing anything on that site.
Like the poster above stated fox news is not number 1 in all time slots for news for putting out blantanly false news.

ensbergcollector
12-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Mistakes like this on Fox have been taking place for YEARS. If you haven't seen them, you haven't been paying attention.

and if you haven't noticed the bias on every other network you haven't been paying attention. or better yet, you haven't cared because they agree with you

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Media matters has a history of photo shopping and editing things they have got from many conservative sites and tv staions since they have been a web site . They are supposed to be a web site exposing all media outlets dishonest coverage , But as you can see from going to the website they have a target on fox news . I suggest you find out more about media matters like where they get there funding and such before beliveing anything on that site.
Like the poster above stated fox news is not number 1 in all time slots for news for putting out blantanly false news.

Yeah, because being number 1 is definitely equal to not telling lies... :lie:... HA! Here is the fact... most people are too lazy to check what they are seeing on the news. It is easy to throw in a small misleading stat here and there to further a point. I am not saying that other networks don't do it, but if you pay attention... AT ALL... Fox does it more than most.

Did you ever think they have a target on Fox News because they do this kind of stuff all the time? I am assuming not...

ensbergcollector
12-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah, because being number 1 is definitely equal to not telling lies... :lie:... HA! Here is the fact... most people are too lazy to check what they are seeing on the news. It is easy to throw in a small misleading stat here and there to further a point. I am not saying that other networks don't do it, but if you pay attention... AT ALL... Fox does it more than most.

Did you ever think they have a target on Fox News because they do this kind of stuff all the time? I am assuming not...

you can't expect to come at people with 1 bullet point on a graph being off if you really expect us to believe your conspiracy theory.

duane1969
12-12-2011, 08:57 PM
So what was the goal of this deception? The numbers are honest, just the placement of a little dot is off. What was the goal here?

When I point the obvious deception that HuffPost does it is blatant. They outright lie and mislead.

FoxNews is reporting the correct numbers, just some low level flunky with thoughts of the hot assistant or getting off work early to go to the bar didn't take the time to double check his graph before submitting it.

This is hardly a condemnation of FN and whats more, if a misplaced dot is the worst thing that you can take issue with them then I would say they are doing a pretty good job.

A little dot is 1/8th of an inch off. Is this the best that the left can come up with?

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 09:00 PM
you can't expect to come at people with 1 bullet point on a graph being off if you really expect us to believe your conspiracy theory.

Since people have to do research for others around here... http://www.spitefulcritic.com/home/10-most-ridiculous-fox-news-lies-creative-edits-and-half-truths

http://foxnewslies.net/

Just searching "fox news lies" in Google is your friend...

freethrowtommy
12-12-2011, 09:04 PM
So what was the goal of this deception? The numbers are honest, just the placement of a little dot is off. What was the goal here?

When I point the obvious deception that HuffPost does it is blatant. They outright lie and mislead.

FoxNews is reporting the correct numbers, just some low level flunky with thoughts of the hot assistant or getting off work early to go to the bar didn't take the time to double check his graph before submitting it.

This is hardly a condemnation of FN and whats more, if a misplaced dot is the worst thing that you can take issue with them then I would say they are doing a pretty good job.

A little dot is 1/8th of an inch off. Is this the best that the left can come up with?

Left this... right that...

I like how it is so black and white with you. What you don't understand is that someone has to actually edit the graph to show this. Any graphing program doesn't just put a point "off"... you actually have to PAY someone to do this, physically alter a number and make the graph level off. It is visually misleading.

duane1969
12-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Left this... right that...

I like how it is so black and white with you. What you don't understand is that someone has to actually edit the graph to show this. Any graphing program doesn't just put a point "off"... you actually have to PAY someone to do this, physically alter a number and make the graph level off. It is visually misleading.

OK, so your goal is to ignore the blatant questions and rant on. I get it.

Let me answer for you. There is no goal. There is no point. They gave actual numbers with a defective graph. if the left is so dull that they will ignore the raw numbers and be distracted by a graph, well, I am not surprised. What this really is is a typically weak rant by the liberal left because they hope that in the midst of their lies and deception they will be able to distract people with shiny objects and keep the reality of how lame their position is from coming to the surface.

If a bullet on a graph is that big of a deal for you, then so be it. But I don't have to make a big deal out of such a small issue to point out the blatant attempts at deception from the left. I can direct you to an entire website that is lies, deception, misquotes, out-of-context quotes and dissimulation. Just go to www.huffintonpost.com , it won't take you 2 minutes to read something that is false, misleading or an outright lie. But I am sure you won't mind that or take issue with that, will you? Because the big issue is that a dot on a graph is in the wrong spot :rolleyes:

Oh, and if it is "left this, right that" then why do you keep referencing far-left websites to discredit FoxNews? Practice what you preach.

habsheaven
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
I must of missed something here. I thought this thread was about Fox News? Apparently it is about Media Matters, The Huffington Post and the rest of the mainstream media. You guys on the right really need to stop deflecting. You're beginning to sound like Veggieman and his constant misdirection towards Bush in Obama threads.

Suck it up and admit the OP's original point. It is blatantly obvious and you all lose what little credibility you have.

ensbergcollector
12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I must of missed something here. I thought this thread was about Fox News? Apparently it is about Media Matters, The Huffington Post and the rest of the mainstream media. You guys on the right really need to stop deflecting. You're beginning to sound like Veggieman and his constant misdirection towards Bush in Obama threads.

Suck it up and admit the OP's original point. It is blatantly obvious and you all lose what little credibility you have.

sorry if i don't see one bullet point being off as enough evidence of a greater conspiracy. i have yet to deflect anything. i just don't see one bullet point as worthy of what this thread is implying. i am fine agreeing to disagree

habsheaven
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
sorry if i don't see one bullet point being off as enough evidence of a greater conspiracy. i have yet to deflect anything. i just don't see one bullet point as worthy of what this thread is implying. i am fine agreeing to disagree

It's not evidence of a greater conspiracy. Think of it more as another grain of sand in a quickly filling eggtimer.

OnePimpTiger
12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I just find it hilarious. I mean, a graphing program doesn't just do that. You would actually have to employ a guy to create these graphs and intentionally distort them. I don't think I could do that job with good conscience.

I'll grant you that. Just another reason I don't watch any cable news outlet, none of them are unbiased.

Let me ask, though, do you notice that same kind of bias when MSNBC, CNN, etc do it?

habsheaven
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll grant you that. Just another reason I don't watch any cable news outlet, none of them are unbiased.

Let me ask, though, do you notice that same kind of bias when MSNBC, CNN, etc do it?

I only watch CNN. I do notice some bias at times but not near as much as I see on MSNBC and Fox (clips from John Stewart).

duane1969
12-13-2011, 09:47 AM

I am not deflecting, just refusing to lend credence to making such a big issue of such a small thing. FoxNews screwed up the visual but had the data correct. Arguing that it is part of some big conspiracy is baseless.

I bring up HuffPost because I find it astounding that someone can take such issue over a improperly placed dot on a graph when HuffPost is blatantly lying and mis-quoting on a daily basis and yet people on here still reference them on a regular basis as a credible news source.

tsjct
12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Unemployment is UP and there is no doubt about it! The left is playing funny math with the numbers as always. Most of the Unemployed that are no longer getting Unemployment JUST STOPPED looking for work and they are no longer counted in the FUZZY math. Also Temporary work is up as always this time of year. Just sit back and watch the Number climb. The true # is more like 18-20% in all honesty.

freethrowtommy
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Unemployment is UP and there is no doubt about it! The left is playing funny math with the numbers as always. Most of the Unemployed that are no longer getting Unemployment JUST STOPPED looking for work and they are no longer counted in the FUZZY math. Also Temporary work is up as always this time of year. Just sit back and watch the Number climb. The true # is more like 18-20% in all honesty.

There are lot of adults that simply are not actively seeking employment- The current figure is a more accurate portrayal of how many people who are unemployed who do want to work.
If you start taking into account stay at home moms/dads, people who are too sick, graduate students, postdocs, etc etc etc then changes the number.
That said- there are a lot of people who want work who simply have stopped looking- that again changes the numbers but it's not as easy to quantify the number of people who simply gave up vs never wanted to begin with.

To say the left or right have anything to do with numbers from the Bureau of Labor is naive at best. Although, regardless, I think it's still probably lower than what it was last June. Just like it really isn't 8.6% right now, it probably wasn't 9.2% then.

duane1969
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think the reported unemployment numbers are based on current claims for unemployment benefits. Thus, if your benefits have run out then you no longer are counted in the data. That does not mean they are no longer looking for a job. In fact, if someone lost their job and has also lost their unemployment benefits then they are probably looking for a job harder than ever.

Most "experts" estimate that the true unemployment rate is probably 1.5x-2x the reported unemployment rate which would put it around 12-16%.

freethrowtommy
12-13-2011, 11:39 PM
This is the way unemployment is and has been tracked. It is not something unique to this administration. <br />
<br />
I agree that U6 is a better measurement. However the problem is that we don't have long...

duane1969
12-13-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't think anyone was calling it "Obama's lie". The whole point of this thread was an attempt to make it out like FoxNews was somehow skewing the data via a misplaced dot on a graph. The simple reality is that the graph data and the numbers reported are not true unemployment numbers.

For me U1 is the most accurate because it depicts the actual number of people who are without work. Everyone who is in group U1 could easily move into group U3 by putting in an application at McDonald's, that doesn't make them any more or less unemployed.

I understand where you are coming from, I just don't see unemployment being clasified as looking for work but not finding it.

freethrowtommy
12-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't think anyone was calling it "Obama's lie".

See?

tsjct
12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
See?

Where did i say OBAMA? I said the Left playing funny math. This thread was started saying fox news lied or skewed the facts. ?????? :rolleyes:

duane1969
12-14-2011, 08:59 AM
See?

OK, not "Obama's lie" but obviously not accurate since it isn't just the left that uses this data.

mikesilvia
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Errors happen. Here are a few by CNN:

McCain a Democrat?

http://www.usernetsite.com/humor/cnns-mistake/cnn-mccain.png

Can the space shuttle travel 18 times the speed of light?

http://www.usernetsite.com/humor/cnns-mistake/cnn-shuttle-speed-of-light-mistake-6747.jpg

Obama the terrorist?

http://www.usernetsite.com/humor/cnns-mistake/cnn-error-obama-press.jpg

duane1969
12-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Errors happen.

Yeah but when FoxNews does it it is a conspiracy.

Star_Cards
12-14-2011, 11:39 AM
could this of simply been an honest error. I get that visually it's deceiving but the actual number is there. It's rather embarrassing in my opinion for an error like this to get past any news organization although it's really not that terrible. I'd be more worried if the numbers where wrong more so than if it's visually positioned in the wrong spot. Like I said, it's odd that proof readers wouldn't have caught this, but being in the publishing world these types of errors to occur.

duane1969
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
could this of simply been an honest error. I get that visually it's deceiving but the actual number is there. It's rather embarrassing in my opinion for an error like this to get past any news organization although it's really not that terrible. I'd be more worried if the numbers where wrong more so than if it's visually positioned in the wrong spot. Like I said, it's odd that proof readers wouldn't have caught this, but being in the publishing world these types of errors to occur.

That was my point. They gave the correct data, they just placed a dot on the wrong location on a bar graph. If they gave the wrong data AND put the dot in the wrong place then it would be an attempt at deception.

Star_Cards
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
as someone who works with graphics, these sorts of things are common. Usually the person creating the graphic also has a proof reader once the graphic is done. I'll also say that when creating graphs and such I don;t always look at or read the information. I treat it all as visual elements. It's easy to not look at the actual data/text when building these. At least in my work flow.

Star_Cards
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
That was my point. They gave the correct data, they just placed a dot on the wrong location on a bar graph. If they gave the wrong data AND put the dot in the wrong place then it would be an attempt at deception.

It would be more of an issue if the data was wrong.

freethrowtommy
12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Today's Gaffe: Utah is Nevada and Romney is Obama...
http://chzdailywhat.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/31219e2a-a78a-403c-8823-218586e16371.jpg

Oh and before anyone claims PHOTOSHOP... here is Megyn Kelly correcting the mistake: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201112140016

duane1969
12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Today's Gaffe: Utah is Nevada and Romney is Obama...

Oh and before anyone claims PHOTOSHOP... here is Megyn Kelly correcting the mistake: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201112140016

Do you seriously believe that FoxNews is the only news group that screws things up?

Apparently MSNBC is racists
http://bivcentral.com/PicturePages/Phase1/Innis.jpg

Further proof, MSNBC host refers to blacks as "colored" people
http://gawker.com/5152367/msnbc-host-sorry-he-called-you-people-colored

Apparently literacy is not big at MSNBC either
http://www.entertainmentweakly.com/msnbc1.jpg

MSNBC also seems to not be able to differentiate between a white woman and a Japanese man
http://ufovideostv.com/wp-content/uploads/mvbthumbs/img_4452_michio-kaku-ufos-are-real-msnbc-dylan-ratigan-show.jpg

ABC can't spell a name that can easily be Googled
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-qP__B7vKI8/SVuDbAoqhsI/AAAAAAAAANA/2bqMhhaMAXU/s400/ABC+Blago+mistake.jpg

CNN thinks the president is an Islamic terrorist
http://www.wnd.com/images2/wheresobamalarge.jpg

So does Yahoo!
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2007/01/yahoo_news_captions_obama_photo_with_name_osama.ph p

CNN is also apparently broadcasting to Blackberry users all over the universe
http://www.thedrum.co.uk/uploads/drum_basic_article/81462/main_images/cnn%20blackberry.jpg

CNN can't spell either
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ob8LLJoE9GE/TRAmlAEEvTI/AAAAAAAAAJo/lla0ZezQyao/s1600/cnn+mistake.jpg

Want more? This may shock you but FoxNews is run by regular people just like every other news source and people make mistakes. Welcome to reality.

ensbergcollector
12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
the white house themselves got a state wrong recently.

care to tell us how switching nevada and utah was some big conspiracy?

habsheaven
12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
I wonder what Romney's camp thinks of Fox's News latest mixup? For that matter, I wonder how Fox News covers Romney? Do they treat him like a Democrat?

freethrowtommy
12-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Do you seriously believe that FoxNews is the only news group that screws things up?

Apparently MSNBC is racists
http://bivcentral.com/PicturePages/Phase1/Innis.jpg

Further proof, MSNBC host refers to blacks as "colored" people
http://gawker.com/5152367/msnbc-host-sorry-he-called-you-people-colored

Apparently literacy is not big at MSNBC either
http://www.entertainmentweakly.com/msnbc1.jpg

MSNBC also seems to not be able to differentiate between a white woman and a Japanese man
http://ufovideostv.com/wp-content/uploads/mvbthumbs/img_4452_michio-kaku-ufos-are-real-msnbc-dylan-ratigan-show.jpg

ABC can't spell a name that can easily be Googled
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-qP__B7vKI8/SVuDbAoqhsI/AAAAAAAAANA/2bqMhhaMAXU/s400/ABC+Blago+mistake.jpg

CNN thinks the president is an Islamic terrorist
http://www.wnd.com/images2/wheresobamalarge.jpg

So does Yahoo!
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2007/01/yahoo_news_captions_obama_photo_with_name_osama.ph p

CNN is also apparently broadcasting to Blackberry users all over the universe
http://www.thedrum.co.uk/uploads/drum_basic_article/81462/main_images/cnn%20blackberry.jpg

CNN can't spell either
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ob8LLJoE9GE/TRAmlAEEvTI/AAAAAAAAAJo/lla0ZezQyao/s1600/cnn+mistake.jpg

Want more? This may shock you but FoxNews is run by regular people just like every other news source and people make mistakes. Welcome to reality.

Once again, I didn't say that Fox was the only one. Not sure why you don't understand that...

freethrowtommy
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
the white house themselves got a state wrong recently.

care to tell us how switching nevada and utah was some big conspiracy?

So me in my post where I said it was some big conspiracy? You guys around here like to project so much.

ensbergcollector
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
So me in my post where I said it was some big conspiracy? You guys around here like to project so much.

well your opening post implied that because of the graph error they shouldn't even be considered a news network anymore. you went on multiple times to claim that the bullet point error had to be done at the order of someone. you can't exactly claim now that you were bashing all news networks. you guy around here like to deny so much

INTIMADATOR2007
12-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Fox news knows there are not 57 states ..lol

habsheaven
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Fox news knows there are not 57 states ..lol

Do they? They can't tell the difference between Romney and Obama and you think they can count to 51?

Sorry, I'm gonna need some proof. lol

duane1969
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Do they? They can't tell the difference between Romney and Obama and you think they can count to 51?

Sorry, I'm gonna need some proof. lol

There are 50 states, not 51, but that is OK, you get a free pass on that.

I think his comment was a jab at Obama saying he had visited 57 states.

habsheaven
12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
There are 50 states, not 51, but that is OK, you get a free pass on that.

I think his comment was a jab at Obama saying he had visited 57 states.

Lol, I know why he said it. I also know how many actual states there are. Believe it or not I can name them all too. Sometimes my humour gets missed, I should have placed emphasis on the "51". lol

duane1969
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Lol, I know why he said it. I also know how many actual states there are. Believe it or not I can name them all too. Sometimes my humour gets missed, I should have placed emphasis on the "51". lol

Ahhh, gotcha LOL :winking0071: