PDA

View Full Version : Canada Bans Face Veils At Citizenship Ceremonies

duane1969
12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
In a move likely to inflame Canada's Muslim community, the government said on Monday it would bar all women wearing face coverings from taking part in citizenship swearing-in ceremonies.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said he had received complaints from citizenship judges and parliamentarians about veiled women taking the oath to become Canadian.

"Requiring that all candidates show their faces while reciting the oath allows judges and everyone present to share in the ceremony," Kenney said in a speech in Montreal.

"The citizenship oath is a quintessentially public act. It is a public declaration that you are joining the Canadian family and it must be taken freely and openly."

Government regulation of religious freedom or a reasonable expectation?

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/12/9396155-canada-bans-veils-at-citizenship-ceremonies

habsheaven
12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
It's complete garbage. No reasonable reason for a woman to need to reveal her face in this instance.

mrveggieman
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Government regulation of religious freedom or a reasonable expectation?

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/12/9396155-canada-bans-veils-at-citizenship-ceremonies

I like Canada and all but I wonder what was their motivation for doing this?

habsheaven
12-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I like Canada and all but I wonder what was their motivation for doing this?

We have a Conservative government in power in this country. The Conservative Party is a merger of the Reform Party and the Progressive Conservative Party that occurred about 10 years ago. The Reform Party would be comparable to the extreme right in the US with the PC party being closer to moderate Republicans. The Prime Minister was a former member of the Reform Party. Unfortunately for the majority of Canadians (that are left-leaning), they split their vote among 4 parties and that leaves the 1 party on the right gaining power because of it.

So the end result is we end up with a right-leaning party ruling a left-leaning populace.

duane1969
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
We have a Conservative government in power in this country. The Conservative Party is a merger of the Reform Party and the Progressive Conservative Party that occurred about 10 years ago. The Reform Party would be comparable to the extreme right in the US with the PC party being closer to moderate Republicans. The Prime Minister was a former member of the Reform Party. Unfortunately for the majority of Canadians (that are left-leaning), they split their vote among 4 parties and that leaves the 1 party on the right gaining power because of it.

So the end result is we end up with a right-leaning party ruling a left-leaning populace.

That is very interesting. Didn't realize there were so many parties in Canada.

habsheaven
12-13-2011, 10:12 AM
That is very interesting. Didn't realize there were so many parties in Canada.

For the record, we have 5 parties with actual representatives in the government at this time. From Right to Left they are:

Conservative Party
Liberal Party
Bloc Quebecois (only run candidates in Quebec)
New Democratic Party
Green Party

duane1969
12-13-2011, 10:18 AM
For the record, we have 5 parties with actual representatives in the government at this time. From Right to Left they are:

Conservative Party
Liberal Party
Bloc Quebecois (only run candidates in Quebec)
New Democratic Party
Green Party

That is very interesting. I had no idea that there were so many prominent parties in Canada. Is the Liberal Party actually liberal or conservative/moderate?

habsheaven
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
I would describe the Liberal Party as "Centrist in nature". The former Progressive Conservative Party was "conservative/moderate".