PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war draws to a quiet close

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 09:56 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iraq-war-draws-to-quiet-close/2011/12/14/gIQAPEjLvO_story.html

Star_Cards
12-15-2011, 11:04 AM
awesome news!!!

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 11:20 AM
awesome news!!!

About 8+ years too late though.

pghin08
12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
About 8+ years too late though.

you may be right, but i'm still glad that it's all over.

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
you may be right, but i'm still glad that it's all over.

Hopefully they will stop the foolishness in Afganistan next.

pghin08
12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Hopefully they will stop the foolishness in Afganistan next.

I don't think that the Afghan war is even as much about Afghanistan anymore, but rather, Pakistan. We've been fighting against Pakistanis in Afghanistan for quite some time now, and our relationship with them is as tenuous as it's ever been

As for the war as a whole though, I understood Afghanistan way more than Iraq. They were a Taliban-run government that was the home base of the people that bombed us on 9/11. Unlike Iraq, which had about as much to do with 9/11 as the UK did.

tsjct
12-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Just watch what happens in IRAQ in the coming years. Malaki is NOT OUR FRIEND and Iran and Iraq will join hand in hand. I feel sorry for the iraq people who will be left to defend themselves in the coming years. A sad situation to leave them alone like this.

pghin08
12-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Just watch what happens in IRAQ in the coming years. Malaki is NOT OUR FRIEND and Iran and Iraq will join hand in hand. I feel sorry for the iraq people who will be left to defend themselves in the coming years. A sad situation to leave them alone like this.

And your solution would have been...?

tsjct
12-15-2011, 06:37 PM
I would have stayed and used the OIL in that country until we were payed back for the war. How is that?

pghin08
12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
I would have stayed and used the OIL in that country until we were payed back for the war. How is that?

So we can just invade a country and take their resources, and that's all cool? Pretty sure if someone invaded the US and said "I'm going to take all your natural gas", citizens would have just a bit of a problem with that.

Star_Cards
12-15-2011, 07:43 PM

wow! so you think we should have stayed but just to get "paid back" and then we could leave? I get the expense of the war and I also get the point that they are probably in a better place not being under the rule of saddam, but to think that the US should go into a country without being asked and want to take their natural resources to pay for the war sounds rather odd to me. That's almost like a company coming to my house and doing work without me asking and then billing me for it.

duwal
12-15-2011, 09:45 PM

so you would have traded in oil for soldiers lives??

Hairylemon
12-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Paid back for what. The US + others invades Iraq under false pretences and proceeds to decimate it, and you think they should pay you back? I'm sure all the Iraqis who have been bombed out of their homes will have a quick whipround to help pay for it.

pghin08
12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
so you would have traded in oil for soldiers lives??

Sounds like it.

adiddle
12-16-2011, 01:39 PM
I am retired US Army and even though politics plays a role in all military operations its about time we bring our men and women service members HOME. I know we want democracy in all countrys but we cannot babysit every country for years, they need to help themselves and track down the bad guys and run their own goverment.

mrveggieman
12-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I am retired US Army and even though politics plays a role in all military operations its about time we bring our men and women service members HOME. I know we want democracy in all countrys but we cannot babysit every country for years, they need to help themselves and track down the bad guys and run their own goverment.

Church!! :love0030:

pghin08
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM

1000000% true. Thanks for your service!