PDA

View Full Version : Dave Begal: Women's basketball has evolved but not for the better

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 01:14 PM
This is a basketball strory but it is very sexists in tone so I wanted to get the P&R forum's spin on it. For the record I am a huge basketball and WNBA fan.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/WNBAhascometoofar.html

duane1969
12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
That guy comes off as an old win™™™™. However, the WNBA really is boring. Let's be honest, there are only 28 players in the entire league that average 10 or more points per game. I could care less if it is men, women or donkeyball, it's just not interesting to watch.

ensbergcollector
12-15-2011, 01:20 PM
That guy comes off as an old win™™™™. However, the WNBA really is boring. Let's be honest, there are only 28 players in the entire league that average 10 or more points per game. I could care less if it is men, women or donkeyball, it's just not interesting to watch.

agreed and i had to laugh because i have actually played donkey basketball

Star_Cards
12-15-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree that the WNBA doesn't even register on my sports radar, but why in the heck is he saying they should play a different game? If people like it, watch. If not then more along.

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 01:27 PM

I will have to agree to disagree with you on that duane. I will admit that the NBA is a higher level of basketball and the players are more athletic but the wnba is still a good diversion to get your summer basketball fix for a reasonable price. Most of the ladies who play in the wnba are real sweet and have no problems posing for pics and sigining autographs. (I have got a lot of my basketball autos for my PC from them.) With young stars like Candace Parker, Maya Moore and Angel McCoutry in addition to future HOFers like Cheryl Swoopes, Katie Smith and Tina Thompson you can't beat the wnba for good inexpensive family friendly summer entertainment.

duane1969
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
agreed and i had to laugh because i have actually played donkey basketball

So has my wife. That is why I included it :)

The scary thing is she was actually pretty good at it...except when he donkey kept biting her LOL

duane1969
12-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I will have to agree to disagree with you on that duane. I will admit that the NBA is a higher level of basketball and the players are more athletic but the wnba is still a good diversion to get your summer basketball fix for a reasonable price. Most of the ladies who play in the wnba are real sweet and have no problems posing for pics and sigining autographs. (I have got a lot of my basketball autos for my PC from them.) With young stars like Candace Parker, Maya Moore and Angel McCoutry in addition to future HOFers like Cheryl Swoopes, Katie Smith and Tina Thompson you can't beat the wnba for good inexpensive family friendly summer entertainment.

I am sure it is a lot more enjoyable in person. I live in WV so there are no local teams and watching it on TV just turns into nap time.

I should also mention that I get bored with men's basketball too now that The Dream retired.

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 01:35 PM
I am sure it is a lot more enjoyable in person. I live in WV so there are no local teams and watching it on TV just turns into nap time.

I should also mention that I get bored with men's basketball too now that The Dream retired.

I'm not sure how far you are from dc but if you ever take a weekend trip there during the summer you may want to head over to the verizon center to catch a wnba game. I have to warn you once you try it you will be come hooked.

shortking98
12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I agree that the WNBA doesn't even register on my sports radar, but why in the heck is he saying they should play a different game? If people like it, watch. If not then more along.

This x2. I can't stand watching women's basketball and living in Connecticut I hear people tell me all the time that it's sexist for me to only enjoy the uconn men's team. Obviously I disagree with that notion but I'm not going to try and change the game that other people enjoy.

Star_Cards
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
arguing what sports are best is like arguing over music or food or art. It's completely subjective to the individual. There is a difference of not liking a sport for a valid reason and just bashing it because a certain sex play it. It's a lot like soccer. Some people love it and some can't stand to even watch a second.

As far as women's sports goes, there are some I can watch like soccer or volleyball, but some sports are just hard to watch after watching the male version. Some have a huge drop off in athleticism and it shows.

andrewhoya
12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I enjoy the WNBA...

DunkingDurant35
12-17-2011, 07:17 PM
LOL. Some of his stereotypes are way off base.

I'm perfectly fine when guys are just honest and say they just can't get into women's basketball because there isn't the same kind of athleticism like dunking and such, but when people go out of their way to actually mock it, that is when I get annoyed. I find NASCAR boring as heck, but I don't go out of my way to make fun of car racing.

Moreover, like I mentioned earlier, some of the stereotypes are way off base. As an athletic female, I sometimes participate in otherwise all-male pickup games at my local Y despite being 5'2". They aren't doing this just to be "nice" - I can hit several baskets in these games and easily avoid embarrassing myself, particularly if I don't have to guard really tall dudes. I also always play with the men's ball, run well (no "cement in my shoes"), don't "clap furiously" or cry "ouch" or any of the other nonsense this guy thinks all women do, etc. No, I will never possess the same level of spatial awareness or 40" vertical the top guys do, but I don't suck, and neither do many of the WNBA players. If it's not enough to entertain someone, then again, that's fine, but the open mockery and the inaccurate portrayals I sometimes see of it do often get quite obnoxious. The last guy to question me at the Y lost a 3-point contest to me, though, so sometimes payback is sweet. :)

MadMan1978
12-17-2011, 07:58 PM
If you compare the WNBA to the NBA at the same age... I think you would find some of the same numbers and like....

DunkingDurant35
12-17-2011, 08:48 PM
If you compare the WNBA to the NBA at the same age... I think you would find some of the same numbers and like....

Not necessarily, but the women play just 40 minutes as opposed to the men's 48, so to expect the same numbers with eight less minutes as duane does is illogical in its own right.

duane1969
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Not necessarily, but the women play just 40 minutes as opposed to the men's 48, so to expect the same numbers with eight less minutes as duane does is illogical in its own right.

I don't really expect it to be the same, but I also don't think that 8 more minutes of game will result in that many more points scored. In the 2010-11 season there were 149 NBA players who scored 10 points or more per game. That is over 5x as many as in the WNBA. I don't see 8 more minutes of game time resulting in that many more players scoring that many more points.

And as I said before, I find basketball generally boring, it really has nothing to do with who is playing.

DunkingDurant35
12-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Fair enough in that respect - if you don't like the sport, it won't matter who much plays. I just didn't think it's similar enough to single out players who are playing less time than the other counterparts and say it's far too beneath expectations, comparatively speaking.

duane1969
12-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, statistically speaking, if 8 more minutes resulted in a 20% increase in stats then any player scoring 8+ points per game would be scoring 10+ points per game. Using the margin of 8+ points per game instead of 10+ then there would be 35 players averaging 10+ points per game instead of 28.

Even if you are generous and include anyone scoring 6+ points per game then you still only have 41 players instead of 28 which is still less than 1/3rd of the number of NBA players who average 10+ points per game.

Looking at it from a different perspective. The WNBA has 68 players, so 28 scoring 10+ points per game represents 41% of the players scoring 10+ points per game. Comparitively, there were 452 NBA players in 2010-11 so 149 scoring 10+ points represents 33% of the players. So in that regards the WNBA is ahead of the NBA.

maniac133
12-18-2011, 12:56 AM
arguing what sports are best is like arguing over music or food or art. It's completely subjective to the individual. There is a difference of not liking a sport for a valid reason and just bashing it because a certain sex play it. It's a lot like soccer. Some people love it and some can't stand to even watch a second.

As far as women's sports goes, there are some I can watch like soccer or volleyball, but some sports are just hard to watch after watching the male version. Some have a huge drop off in athleticism and it shows.

I play men's volleyball, and I also help manage the women's team at my high school. I'm especially bored when I have to watch them play. Our team is actually decent, but the drop in athleticism is ASTOUNDING!

mrveggieman
12-18-2011, 02:53 PM
LOL. Some of his stereotypes are way off base.

I'm perfectly fine when guys are just honest and say they just can't get into women's basketball because there isn't the same kind of athleticism like dunking and such, but when people go out of their way to actually mock it, that is when I get annoyed. I find NASCAR boring as heck, but I don't go out of my way to make fun of car racing.

Moreover, like I mentioned earlier, some of the stereotypes are way off base. As an athletic female, I sometimes participate in otherwise all-male pickup games at my local Y despite being 5'2". They aren't doing this just to be "nice" - I can hit several baskets in these games and easily avoid embarrassing myself, particularly if I don't have to guard really tall dudes. I also always play with the men's ball, run well (no "cement in my shoes"), don't "clap furiously" or cry "ouch" or any of the other nonsense this guy thinks all women do, etc. No, I will never possess the same level of spatial awareness or 40" vertical the top guys do, but I don't suck, and neither do many of the WNBA players. If it's not enough to entertain someone, then again, that's fine, but the open mockery and the inaccurate portrayals I sometimes see of it do often get quite obnoxious. The last guy to question me at the Y lost a 3-point contest to me, though, so sometimes payback is sweet. :)

Church!! :love0030: