PDA

View Full Version : Teen marijuana use up, cigarette and alcohol use down

mrveggieman
12-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Your thoughts.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/14/teen-drug-use-marijuana-up-cigarettes-and-alcohol-down/?iid=hl-main-lede

TPotts
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Interesting article. As a high school senior out here in PA, I in all honesty can't say I ever used, but majority my friends have/do. I don't think it is a good thing in anyway, but I feel like they could be doing much worse too. Another issue is, a lot of time Marijuana is just the start of worse things to come, as I've seen.

gladdyontherise
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd say atleast 80% smoke or drink where I went to high school

I personally do not (my mom, dad and both brothers do smoke cigarettes and/or drink). I think both are disgusting habits and not needed.

Found this interesting though...

Marijuana use has increased: about a quarter of all high school students surveyed reported using marijuana in the previous year, up from about 21% in 2007. Also worryingly, the survey saw a rise in daily use of marijuana by high school seniors, which reached a peak — at 7% — not seen since 1981. The highest rate of daily marijuana use by 12th graders was 11%, in 1978.

To bad a disgusting habit is increasing here

OBOMBA
12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
marijuana should be legalized its far less harmful then cigarettes

gladdyontherise
12-15-2011, 05:32 PM

A substance that impairs you should be legal? That's a wonderful idea! (and no, I do not think drinking should be legal)

I've seen people who are high have trouble walking up a flight of stairs, so why should they be able to smoke and then drive in a car putting tons of innocent people at risk?

andrewhoya
12-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Interesting article. As a high school senior out here in PA, I in all honesty can't say I ever used, but majority my friends have/do. I don't think it is a good thing in anyway, but I feel like they could be doing much worse too. Another issue is, a lot of time Marijuana is just the start of worse things to come, as I've seen.

I'm a sophomore, and I agree with you. Tons of people use it- mainly because it has gotten easier and easier over the years to get it from suppliers. I think its better than cigarettes, though.

theonedru
12-15-2011, 05:39 PM

This statement is far from true, in fact it can be MORE harmful than cigarettes

Triple Peanut
12-15-2011, 05:42 PM
it's the lesser evil of the 3. pretty hypocritical that alcohol is legal and marijuana isn't. people end in jail for something that is no worse than having a few drinks.
some would make the argument to legalize all drugs. there are some good points there but i think it would be a bumpy transition.

tsjct
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
legalize it and TAX it!!

OBOMBA
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
no, just no . you can smoke a quarter pound of marijuana with 5 people and nothing will happen to you. try doing that with cigarettes

OBOMBA
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
A substance that impairs you should be legal? That's a wonderful idea! (and no, I do not think drinking should be legal)

I've seen people who are high have trouble walking up a flight of stairs, so why should they be able to smoke and then drive in a car putting tons of innocent people at risk?
um i didnt say someone who is high should be allowed to drive.

theonedru
12-15-2011, 06:49 PM
no, just no . you can smoke a quarter pound of marijuana with 5 people and nothing will happen to you. try doing that with cigarettes

heck some actual facts my friend and open your eyes to the realization that weed is not a harmless drug and causes long term health problems.

theonedru
12-15-2011, 06:50 PM
legalize it and TAX it!!

Crunch the numbers, it wouldn't make a dent so its useless to use the tax argument

OBOMBA
12-15-2011, 06:52 PM
heck some actual facts my friend and open your eyes to the realization that weed is not a harmless drug and causes long term health problems.
please list these diseases and the percentile please i am sure you just watch too many government commercials.

saying marijuana is worse then cigarettes is beyond me. no one has EVER gotten cancer or died directly from smoking marijuana.

gladdyontherise
12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
um i didnt say someone who is high should be allowed to drive.

If you legalize that it'll happen though (it already happens enough as it is and its not legal to smoke)

theonedru
12-15-2011, 07:09 PM
please list these diseases and the percentile please i am sure you just watch too many government commercials.

saying marijuana is worse then cigarettes is beyond me. no one has EVER gotten cancer or died directly from smoking marijuana.

no one has EVER gotten cancer or died directly from smoking marijuana.

prove that as a fact my friend, if you knew what weed is composed of you would retract this statement

theonedru
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM

here are your facts

- Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke.

- Weed smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.

- Weed smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue,

- It increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities.

And the list goes on

shortking98
12-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Kids these days... [fist shake]

OBOMBA
12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
here are your facts

- Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke.

- Weed smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers.

- Weed smokers show dysregulated growth of epithelial cells in their lung tissue,

- It increases heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in aging populations or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities.

And the list goes on
pretty lame cigarettes have 4000 chemicals and kill one person every 10 seconds worldwide and no one has ever died from smoking marijuana, you CANT OVERDOSE ON MARIJUANA. government commercials got you scared. no one gets heart disease from smoking marijuana. and the lung harm it may cause is subject to the smoker, marijuana smokers are supposed to hold the smoke in longer to increase the potency of the smoke they inhale. cigarette smokers obviously dont do this. let's see um cigarettes can rid you of taste and they also increase heart rate and blood pressure. they contain Carbon Monoxide (http://bkcreative.hubpages.com/hub/What-Are-The-Symptoms-of-CO-Carbon-Monoxide-Poisoning) Arsenic Ammonia Butane among others. add o yeah not to mention marijuana can help people who suffer from debilitating pain and others who suffer from multiple sclerosis. It can help decrease elevated Interocular pressure in glaucoma patients (http://sterlingsage.hubpages.com/hub/Practical-Guide-for-Medical-Users-of-Cannabis).

theonedru
12-15-2011, 09:18 PM
pretty lame cigarettes have 4000 chemicals and kill one person every 10 seconds worldwide and no one has ever died from smoking marijuana, you CANT OVERDOSE ON MARIJUANA. government commercials got you scared. no one gets heart disease from smoking marijuana.

Cannabis is is far more than just plant matter and THC. You are forgetting the number 1 thing contained in it that is far from harmless and cannot be argued as being healthy.......

OBOMBA
12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Cannabis is is far more than just plant matter and THC. You are forgetting the number 1 thing contained in it that is far from harmless and cannot be argued as being healthy.......
all im saying is cigarettes are far more dangerous to ones health. iyo it maybe marijuana. hey that's up to you.

themanishere
12-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Funny how the article calls those numbers "stunning." They seem low to me for what they really should be.

Anyway, I never understood the lure of the cheap thrill from doing these substances. Have never smoked or done drugs - never needed the crap to "feel better," and rebelliousness is overrated. Then again, teenagers do stupid things for stupid reasons.

I do drink, but only sporadically during social occasions. And even then, I only have a couple beers at most.

But hey, it's your body. If you can't employ self-control (and most people can't, unfortunately) to go with what you do, that's your own fault.

mrveggieman
12-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Let me ask ya'll this. What does the group think of hemp which is a distant and legal cousin of marijuanna? It is used in a lot of health foods and other items. I have hemp milk before and it was pretty good. Anyone else ever tried hemp before?

maniac133
12-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Not legalized, decriminalized. In my opinion at least.

NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!! That is a completely false statement.

Here is a GREAT documentary made on cannabis, it's use, and hemp as well. It is called The Union, The Business Behind Getting High. Here is a link. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007 (There is cursing in the movie, mainly cause Joe Rogan thinks it is necessary to do so)

As a senior in high school, I am surprised the numbers aren't higher. Considering I live in Vegas, it is pretty easy to obtain, and people are more willing to participate and experiment I guess. I can say I've done all three (tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana), and the only one I don't regret doing is marijuana. Didn't cause any health issues. Not only that, but I'm an athlete and I didn't see any decrease in my performance. I didn't have any negatives with it unlike alcohol and tobacco. Marijuana should be decriminalized, and should not be classified as a harmful drug. The fact that is still is, in this day and age, is ludicrous and obscene.

maniac133
12-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Let me ask ya'll this. What does the group think of hemp which is a distant and legal cousin of marijuanna? It is used in a lot of health foods and other items. I have hemp milk before and it was pretty good. Anyone else ever tried hemp before?

Idk if it's considered distant when it comes from the same plant. The only difference is, if you smoke hemp, you don't get high from it.

theonedru
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
When smoking weed you use no filter inhaling larger amounts of tar and smoke and are generally shared with multiple partners, hello herpes or other oral std..... How people can say this is safer is beyond me

Forget what "experts" tell you, use common sense and logic

mattleegee
12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
cigs are so expensive especially in my state... you can get a couple packs of cigs or get a twentysac and get high for 2-5 nights
i dunno i dont do any of the above anymore due to job

maniac133
12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
When smoking weed you use no filter inhaling larger amounts of tar and smoke and are generally shared with multiple partners, hello herpes or other oral std..... How people can say this is safer is beyond me

Forget what "experts" tell you, use common sense and logic

That just destroyed your argument for me. Can you give me proof that there is actually any tar in marijuana? And that the smoke actually causes harm to the person smoking it? Or are you just talking to talk? And a lot of people don't just smoke with random people. If you do, well, you're just an idiot. Everyone I know does it with friends they have known for years. It's not like people who shoot heroin with any random heroin addict on the street. Please, use some common sense and logic yourself.

theonedru
12-16-2011, 09:16 PM
That just destroyed your argument for me. Can you give me proof that there is actually any tar in marijuana? And that the smoke actually causes harm to the person smoking it? Or are you just talking to talk? And a lot of people don't just smoke with random people. If you do, well, you're just an idiot. Everyone I know does it with friends they have known for years. It's not like people who shoot heroin with any random heroin addict on the street. Please, use some common sense and logic yourself.

Its called common sense, and that common sense exists within us all, whether we use it or not is up to the individual and from this thread its obvious little of us use it, that's what I mean. And you don't know what your friends do 24/7 and a lot of the times they don't know they are infected let alone anyone else. and there are a lot of idiots out there just look at the average party these days. And prove to me inhaling tar and smoke is harmless?

maniac133
12-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Its called common sense, and that common sense exists within us all, whether we use it or not is up to the individual and from this thread its obvious little of us use it, that's what I mean. And you don't know what your friends do 24/7 and a lot of the times they don't know they are infected let alone anyone else. and there are a lot of idiots out there just look at the average party these days. And prove to me inhaling tar and smoke is harmless?

I know inhaling tar is bad for the body, but that doesn't answer my question. Do you have proof of any tar in any marijuana? Besides the propaganda and lies the gov't feed you, do you have any FACTUAL source that says that? Or are you just saying that it has tar and other chemicals in it? Even though much of it is grown naturally. The common sense in your statements isn't presenting itself, it's just presenting ignorance and your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand. There has never been any case of any lung problems, or any other problems for that matter, directly attributed to marijuana. You can't present me one. So until you do so, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the drug does not harm any of your major internal organs. That includes that brain, by the way. Does it alter bodily functions? From my use, I can't tell. I do everything the same as I did before, and can't tell any major or minor differences compared to before I used. I BELIEVE IT IS A HARMLESS DRUG, AND IT WILL REMAIN THAT WAY UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!!!!

theonedru
12-16-2011, 09:55 PM
I know inhaling tar is bad for the body, but that doesn't answer my question. Do you have proof of any tar in any marijuana? Besides the propaganda and lies the gov't feed you, do you have any FACTUAL source that says that? Or are you just saying that it has tar and other chemicals in it? Even though much of it is grown naturally. The common sense in your statements isn't presenting itself, it's just presenting ignorance and your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand. There has never been any case of any lung problems, or any other problems for that matter, directly attributed to marijuana. You can't present me one. So until you do so, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that the drug does not harm any of your major internal organs. That includes that brain, by the way. Does it alter bodily functions? From my use, I can't tell. I do everything the same as I did before, and can't tell any major or minor differences compared to before I used. I BELIEVE IT IS A HARMLESS DRUG, AND IT WILL REMAIN THAT WAY UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE!!!!

i will throw it back at you and you show me impartial factual studies that proves weed is 100% harmless.

maniac133
12-16-2011, 10:13 PM
i will throw it back at you and you show me impartial factual studies that proves weed is 100% harmless.

http://hightimes.com/news/mikeg_ht/3658

Dr. Donald Tashkin. One of the leading scientist on the most comprehensive study to ATTEMPT to link marijuana use to lung cancer. Read on.

theonedru
12-16-2011, 10:35 PM
http://hightimes.com/news/mikeg_ht/3658

Dr. Donald Tashkin. One of the leading scientist on the most comprehensive study to ATTEMPT to link marijuana use to lung cancer. Read on.

1. that is not an impartial source ( hightimes, c'mon the common sense thing remember)

2. I said nothing about lung cancer. smoking weed or cigarettes cannot directly cause lung cancer that is fact anyone who has read cancer studies knows that. And it is fact because we already have those cells within our bodies but it is unknown what chemicals trigger the cells to go so rapidly.

maniac133
12-17-2011, 01:43 AM
1. that is not an impartial source ( hightimes, c'mon the common sense thing remember)

2. I said nothing about lung cancer. smoking weed or cigarettes cannot directly cause lung cancer that is fact anyone who has read cancer studies knows that. And it is fact because we already have those cells within our bodies but it is unknown what chemicals trigger the cells to go so rapidly.

So a magazine about weed can't interview someone who did work for the gov't to try to prove their propaganda? No one else is gonna publish it, that's the only place that would take an interview like that.
So now are you saying marijuana could cause cancer?

theonedru
12-17-2011, 02:45 AM
So a magazine about weed can't interview someone who did work for the gov't to try to prove their propaganda? No one else is gonna publish it, that's the only place that would take an interview like that.
So now are you saying marijuana could cause cancer?

you said it not me, please lets go back to the ot as this goes nowhere

andrewhoya
12-17-2011, 08:33 AM
you said it not me, please lets go back to the ot as this goes nowhere

It is definitely going somewhere. You have been repetitively asked to show proof to back your points, which you keep refusing to do.

You are always one to say that the government is lying to us- now you suddenly jump ship.

For the record, we ARE on topic. The topic is marijuana.

theonedru
12-17-2011, 10:45 AM
[/B]
It is definitely going somewhere. You have been repetitively asked to show proof to back your points, which you keep refusing to do.

You are always one to say that the government is lying to us- now you suddenly jump ship.

For the record, we ARE on topic. The topic is marijuana.

did i say the gov't is lying.... NOOOOOOO

Do people not read what is being said ....YESSSSSSS

Do people use common logical sense ..... NOOOOOOOO

When you have people basically saying that inhaling smoke and tar is healthy then that proves how closed minded people are to the reality of the situation..

andrewhoya
12-17-2011, 10:50 AM
did i say the gov't is lying.... NOOOOOOO

You always do on other threads,

Do people not read what is being said ....YESSSSSSS

I could say the same from you, since you dodge questions over and over as if you don't read the posts directed at you.

Do people use common logical sense ..... NOOOOOOOO

LOL, like you use it all the time as well.

When you have people basically saying that inhaling smoke and tar is healthy then that proves how closed minded people are to the reality of the situation..
Still waiting on where it shows that marijuana has tar. BTW, where did I say smoke was healthy? I am against all kinds of smoking,a nd think all of it should be illegal.

gladdyontherise
12-17-2011, 02:26 PM

I could say the same from you, since you dodge questions over and over as if you don't read the posts directed at you.

Still waiting on where it shows that marijuana has tar. BTW, where did I say smoke was healthy? I am against all kinds of smoking,a nd think all of it should be illegal.

+10000000000000 on everything you just posted. Glad I'm not the only one noticing.

For the record, I've never heard of tar being in Marijuana, I never really bothered to find out since I don't care, but since it's grown I wouldn't assume it would have tar.

andrewhoya
12-17-2011, 02:45 PM
+10000000000000 on everything you just posted. Glad I'm not the only one noticing.

For the record, I've never heard of tar being in Marijuana, I never really bothered to find out since I don't care, but since it's grown I wouldn't assume it would have tar.

I've never heard of it having it either, or, like you, have cared enough to waste time researching it. Even if it did, though, there is no way that it has amounts anywhere close to cigarettes.

Nice agreeing with you for once.

DunkingDurant35
12-17-2011, 07:03 PM
First of all, it's very dumb to partake of a substance that is illegal. Whether one agrees with the laws or not, they are there, and these teens are risking getting caught and suffering some very stiff penalties.

As for whether or not it should be legal, the debate has already proven that there are pros and cons going in several different directions that always make these arguments complex. My take:

Both pot and regular cigarettes offer no health benefits whether done in moderation or not, but alcohol is different in that it's very healthy in moderation. Opponents of alcohol will counter that the immediate effects of alcohol abuse can result in far greater and far more immediate dangers than pot or cigarettes, which is true, but should we ban something just because some people can and do abuse it? If we do that, then the very same conceptual logic also dictates that we should also ban Twinkies, hot dogs, and other junk foods that have no nutritional value - I mean, those are deleterious when consumed in great quantities also. Just because young people aren't experiencing the costly and health-damaging effects of obesity now doesn't mean it won't affect them later (cigarettes ironically are in the same boat - COPD, lung cancer, and other health problems that result from cigarette smoking typically don't come until much later in life). People often want to ban some things because of the immediate harmful effects abuse causes, but many of these same people never want to ban the garbage they and/or others eat and the long-term harm caused to their bodies. I don't need to quote the current statistics on spending for complications relating to obesity - they are easily available on Google searches.

All I'm saying is for people to be consistent. If we want to ban any or all of these things, why not ban everything else that can and will be abused by some people? Personally, I think all three should be legal and taxed with people better informed about what the unique risks are with each substance. That seems to make the most sense rather than banning one, two, or all three.

theonedru
12-18-2011, 08:03 AM

1. nothing I said was directed towards you

2. please read and memorize the rules about direct personal attacks on people.

andrewhoya
12-18-2011, 08:49 AM
1. nothing I said was directed towards you

2. please read and memorize the rules about direct personal attacks on people.

1. You quoted my post, which is why I replied to you.

2. The rules ate already memorized, which is why I didn't break any of them.

habsheaven
12-18-2011, 01:36 PM
First of all, it's very dumb to partake of a substance that is illegal. Whether one agrees with the laws or not, they are there, and these teens are risking getting caught and suffering some very stiff penalties.

As for whether or not it should be legal, the debate has already proven that there are pros and cons going in several different directions that always make these arguments complex. My take:

Both pot and regular cigarettes offer no health benefits whether done in moderation or not, but alcohol is different in that it's very healthy in moderation. Opponents of alcohol will counter that the immediate effects of alcohol abuse can result in far greater and far more immediate dangers than pot or cigarettes, which is true, but should we ban something just because some people can and do abuse it? If we do that, then the very same conceptual logic also dictates that we should also ban Twinkies, hot dogs, and other junk foods that have no nutritional value - I mean, those are deleterious when consumed in great quantities also. Just because young people aren't experiencing the costly and health-damaging effects of obesity now doesn't mean it won't affect them later (cigarettes ironically are in the same boat - COPD, lung cancer, and other health problems that result from cigarette smoking typically don't come until much later in life). People often want to ban some things because of the immediate harmful effects abuse causes, but many of these same people never want to ban the garbage they and/or others eat and the long-term harm caused to their bodies. I don't need to quote the current statistics on spending for complications relating to obesity - they are easily available on Google searches.

All I'm saying is for people to be consistent. If we want to ban any or all of these things, why not ban everything else that can and will be abused by some people? Personally, I think all three should be legal and taxed with people better informed about what the unique risks are with each substance. That seems to make the most sense rather than banning one, two, or all three.

Very well said!!

Theodor Madison
12-18-2011, 01:55 PM
I believe if your body does not need it why use it. I can see for medicinal use only. I see it as an escape drug. I believe if you can't handle life straight, how are you going to handle life stoned.

shortking98
12-18-2011, 02:50 PM

Just to clarify this, there is no debate on whether or not there is tar from smoking marijuana. The only debate is how much and how harmful it is. I'm not going to get into the rest of the argument since I also think that it should be legal but here is a quick reference for people who need to see something in writing about tar in marijuana:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080512231337AAKlgXX