PDA

View Full Version : Is Panera Bread Sexist and Racist?

pghin08
12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I had always heard grumblings from friends who worked there that their policies towards African-Americans and women were appalling. Then I had this article e-mailed to me by my friend who works at Carnegie Mellon University here in Pittsburgh from their newspaper:

http://thetartan.org/2011/12/5/forum/panera

Definitely makes me rethink my Bacon Turkey Bravo sandwich on Tomato Basil bread.

mrveggieman
12-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Wow I never ate there before and I will defitenely not eat there now.

Star_Cards
12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
That's hardly a corporate stance by Panera. None of the Panera's that I've been to have exclusively had young pretty girls on the cash registers. Not really a reason to boycott the company as a whole just off of one franchisee in my opinion.

pghin08
12-16-2011, 10:35 AM
That's hardly a corporate stance by Panera. None of the Panera's that I've been to have exclusively had young pretty girls on the cash registers. Not really a reason to boycott the company as a whole just off of one franchisee in my opinion.

Even if that's true, shame on them for turning a blind eye. This isn't just one or two establishments in the Pittsburgh area, it's 30+ restaurants.

Edit: A quick Google search brought up another lawsuit in St. Louis (Panera's headquarters) in regards to racist practices. I cannot link to the article, as it goes into detail about racial slurs that are not suitable for SCF.

Star_Cards
12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I just wonder how much knowledge they would have of something like this. I really think corporate would have no way of knowing. As long as they get their royalties I doubt they really come in and check things especially hiring trends. Seems like it would take a story and the recent lawsuit to bring awareness to corporate Panera.

pghin08
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I just wonder how much knowledge they would have of something like this. I really think corporate would have no way of knowing. As long as they get their royalties I doubt they really come in and check things especially hiring trends. Seems like it would take a story and the recent lawsuit to bring awareness to corporate Panera.

Like most restaurant chains, they have a hierarchical order. Does the CEO visit every store? Of course not. But you have regional managers/district managers, etc, and others from headquarters that actually do.

Star_Cards
12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
My brother owns a Noble Roman's franchise (many less of them than panera) and I don't think he has any face to face with corporate people in his restaurant. I also worked at a Noble Romans for many years in high school that was a franchise and I never once saw or heard of someone from corporate coming into the restaurant to look things over.

Of course Panera or other companies that franchise may and probably do work differently, but I doubt they get into asking questions about who they hire if they happen to drop in on them on any given day. I'd think to notice a hiring trend like that they'd have to be there much more often than just a random visit. Even if you go in and see the same demographic working on one day, I don't think one would recognize that unless they were there on a regular basis like the manager who filled the lawsuit.

ensbergcollector
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
obviously any store owned by this guy deserve to be boycotted. I would love to know the franchise information as i know some restaurants, once you purchase a franchise, there is little that upper management can do in regards to the store you own.

pghin08
12-16-2011, 11:09 AM
My brother owns a Noble Roman's franchise (many less of them than panera) and I don't think he has any face to face with corporate people in his restaurant. I also worked at a Noble Romans for many years in high school that was a franchise and I never once saw or heard of someone from corporate coming into the restaurant to look things over.

Of course Panera or other companies that franchise may and probably do work differently, but I doubt they get into asking questions about who they hire if they happen to drop in on them on any given day. I'd think to notice a hiring trend like that they'd have to be there much more often than just a random visit. Even if you go in and see the same demographic working on one day, I don't think one would recognize that unless they were there on a regular basis like the manager who filled the lawsuit.

When I worked for a large corporation, I was seeing people from corporate on almost a monthly basis, along with regional managers more frequently. You're right, I'm sure every company is different, but it bothers me that it seems like no one knew/cared, and that this is apparently not a lone occurrence.

Star_Cards
12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
When I worked for a large corporation, I was seeing people from corporate on almost a monthly basis, along with regional managers more frequently. You're right, I'm sure every company is different, but it bothers me that it seems like no one knew/cared, and that this is apparently not a lone occurrence.

Was that a franchise or a corporate owned business?

I agree that it's something that this franchisee should have to address/change/etc.

pghin08
12-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Was that a franchise or a corporate owned business?

I agree that it's something that this franchisee should have to address/change/etc.

It was corporate. The franchisee, in this case, is the problem. He should be somehow replaced.

Star_Cards
12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
definitely agree that this owner should be held accountable to his less than equal hiring practices.