PDA

View Full Version : Delta sued after 2 muslim leaders kicked off flight

mrveggieman
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.ajc.com/business/delta-sued-after-2-1264824.html

duane1969
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
The pilot was clearly out of line. They cleared security checks repeatedly. The pilot needs to be fired. Suing the airline makes no sense since the men were only stopped from being on the plane by the pilot and the airline official tried to get the pilot to let them be on the plane. They should be suing the pilot.

ensbergcollector
12-20-2011, 10:31 AM
if everything went down the way this states, this is beyond wrong and the pilot should be fired asap. I highly doubt this is all there is to the story because I have to think if a pilot had this attitude toward anyone is muslim attire this would have come up sooner. How would this guy have made it as pilot?

mrveggieman
12-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Even if the pilot acted alone he still was on company time and was acting as a representative of Delta. Thefore they have every right to sue Delta as well as the pilot.

angel0430
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
They should go against Delta and then after the pilot as a person. They shouold fire the pilot but I am sure this is not the first time he has done this. You do not react like that to muslim people out of nowhere.

pghin08
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
And on top of it, they were going to an anti-Muslim discrimination conference. Deplorable behavior.

duane1969
12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Even if the pilot acted alone he still was on company time and was acting as a representative of Delta. Thefore they have every right to sue Delta as well as the pilot.

I don't see it that way. Delta can not control every action by every employee for every minute of the day. The pilot acted on his own and appears to have gone against company policy and in direct contradiction of advisement by a company supervisor.

Suing Delta will not change what happened nor prevent it from happening again. Individuals can not be controlled every second of every day.

habsheaven
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
You may not see it that way but that is the way the law works. Employers are responsible for the actions of their employees. The actions of the employer in this instance may mitigate the punitive damages to some degree but they are still liable.

Suing Delta will ensure that they do not allow the next pilot to do the same. Next time, he will be fired on the spot.

I don't see it that way. Delta can not control every action by every employee for every minute of the day. The pilot acted on his own and appears to have gone against company policy and in direct contradiction of advisement by a company supervisor.

Suing Delta will not change what happened nor prevent it from happening again. Individuals can not be controlled every second of every day.

angel0430
12-21-2011, 01:51 PM
You may not see it that way but that is the way the law works. Employers are responsible for the actions of their employees. The actions of the employer in this instance may mitigate the punitive damages to some degree but they are still liable.

Suing Delta will ensure that they do not allow the next pilot to do the same. Next time, he will be fired on the spot.

So true and we can see it daily. Companies get sued all the time because of one employee.

duane1969
12-21-2011, 01:57 PM

No he wont because that would require cancelling or rescheduling the flight which costs the airline money and sets them up for more lawsuits by unhappy passengers who didn't get to where they were headed on time.

In the end it won't matter anyway. The two Muslims will settle out of court for a nice payday and be happy to let it go. That is the way these things always work out.

habsheaven
12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
No he wont because that would require cancelling or rescheduling the flight which costs the airline money and sets them up for more lawsuits by unhappy passengers who didn't get to where they were headed on time.

In the end it won't matter anyway. The two Muslims will settle out of court for a nice payday and be happy to let it go. That is the way these things always work out.

Flights get cancelled and re-scheduled all the time. I believe the contract you enter into when you buy the ticket limits your damages to the cost of the flight. Whereas, the liability to the company in a case of discrimination can be huge because of the punitive nature of the suit. If anything, I think the airline would be basing their decision to fire based on the probability of a successful suit from the pilot for wrongful dismissal.

duane1969
12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Flights get cancelled and re-scheduled all the time. I believe the contract you enter into when you buy the ticket limits your damages to the cost of the flight. Whereas, the liability to the company in a case of discrimination can be huge because of the punitive nature of the suit. If anything, I think the airline would be basing their decision to fire based on the probability of a successful suit from the pilot for wrongful dismissal.

You might be right. I don't fly. I just don't see them firing a pilot on the spot and unloading the plane.

habsheaven
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
You might be right. I don't fly. I just don't see them firing a pilot on the spot and unloading the plane.

I am sure it wouldn't be the airline's first choice to resolve the issue but they may consider it if the pilot is unyielding in his position.

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Flights get delayed and cancelled all the time. All the airline has to do was say "due to circumstances beyone our control this flight is now going to be delayed. We apologize for any inconvience this may have caused and are working on getting each of your to your desired destinations without further delay."

andrewhoya
12-21-2011, 05:53 PM

It is up to the pilot on who to allow and not allow on the plane. He has the most authority and has the option to go back to the gate if necessary. They shouldn't be suing Delta for this- or ASA.

andrewhoya
12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
BTW- suing Delta was a dumb move. I doubt they'll win. It was a Delta code-share flight- the flight had nothing to do with Delta at all, besides being offered as 'Delta Connection'. The pilot works for ASA- NOT Delta. The passengers should have brought it up with only them, as ASA is simply a codeshare of Delta.