PDA

View Full Version : Christians upset over SNL skit

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201112/saturday-night-live-under-attack-thanks-tim-tebow-sketch

Leave it to Pat Robertson to spew his venom and hate.

duane1969
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I agree that he is overreacting, but I also agree withthis statement...

"If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that, and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off, and bodies on the street,”

In a Muslim country the actors would have been black-bagged right after the show and would never be seen again...unless their execution was a public one.

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I agree that he is overreacting, but I also agree withthis statement...

In a Muslim country the actors would have been black-bagged right after the show and would never be seen again...unless their execution was a public one.

And you wonder why people feel the way they do about christians and christanity after hearing idiots like pat robertson speak. :rolleyes:

duane1969
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
And you wonder why people feel the way they do about christians and christanity after hearing idiots like pat robertson speak. :rolleyes:

He is not entirely off-base tho. When is the last time you saw SNL do a skit mocking Allah?

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
He is not entirely off-base tho. When is the last time you saw SNL do a skit mocking Allah?

SNL is an american program and the majority of people in the states who are religious are christian therefore a skit mocking allah or islam would be useless since the average american knows little about islam let alone cares. Do I think that some of the stuff on SNL is done in poor tastes, yes. Do I think they have the right to say what they want absolutely.

duane1969
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
SNL is an american program and the majority of people in the states who are religious are christian therefore a skit mocking allah or islam would be useless since the average american knows little about islam let alone cares. Do I think that some of the stuff on SNL is done in poor tastes, yes. Do I think they have the right to say what they want absolutely.

According to Obama the United States is the largest Islam nation in the world. SNL mocking Allah and Islam and expecting them to accept it without insult makes total sense to me.

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 01:25 PM
According to Obama the United States is the largest Islam nation in the world. SNL mocking Allah and Islam and expecting them to accept it without insult makes total sense to me.

Do you have proof of Obama stating this?

duane1969
12-21-2011, 01:34 PM
He actually said the US is one of the largest, not the largest. I misquoted. I am at work and can't link to videos but if you Google it there are about 100 copies of it all over YouTube.

Here is a link to the FactCheck page about it. http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/obama-us-one-of-the-largest-muslim-countries-not/

theonedru
12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Who cares SNL sucks and has been irrelevant for years

ensbergcollector
12-21-2011, 07:46 PM

ok, a few thoughts:

first of all, is SNL allowed to do whatever they want, of course. I dislike the majority of snl skits, my opinion should have no bearing on whether they do them or not.
secondly, if christians want to boycott snl, rock on. that is part of freedom of speech. snl can do what they want, and people can respond by not watching.
third, i thought the skit was dumb but wasn't offended by it. I am used to people not understanding christianity.
fourth, echoing duane, i am no supporter of robertson but i doubt anyone would say he is wrong for his comment about if this skit was done against islam.
lastly, my biggest issue is the common ideology that it is ok to mock anyone who is in the majority. So, if you mock any minority (race, creed, religion, etc) your are a hateful bigot but if you mock the majority it's ok? Offensive is offensive. How does being offensive to a larger group make it less offensive?

freethrowtommy
12-21-2011, 08:33 PM
He actually said the US is one of the largest, not the largest. I misquoted. I am at work and can't link to videos but if you Google it there are about 100 copies of it all over YouTube.

Here is a link to the FactCheck page about it. http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/obama-us-one-of-the-largest-muslim-countries-not/

Did you even read the link you posted?

First paragraph...

President Barack Obama claimed that the U.S. is "one of the largest Muslim countries in the world" in terms of population. That strains the facts mightily. The U.S. Muslim population probably doesn’t even rank in the top 50.He was wrong when he said it... therefore, it still mrveggieman is correct in stating that a Christian targeted audience in the US would be a bigger draw.

duane1969
12-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Did you even read the link you posted?

First paragraph...
He was wrong when he said it... therefore, it still mrveggieman is correct in stating that a Christian targeted audience in the US would be a bigger draw.

I was being facetious. And none of that changes the fact that he said it. So let's not split hairs. He said it, I was joking. Relax.

gladdyontherise
12-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Let people be all hurt over it. It was harmless and funny. SNL has been mocking things like this forever.

After a skit like this one there is always some group of people just trying to get attention (see anything that isn't positive about gays/lesbians)

*censored*
12-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Who cares SNL sucks and has been irrelevant for years

This is all that needs to be said.

The Hoff
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM

This wasn't just about Christianity, actually it wasn't even about it. It was about Tebow and his celebration. It's about all his fans and what they say about him. If he wasn't winning this skit would never have been made. Would they make the same skit anyways? No. It may be Christian themed, but it's about Tebow. It think people just want something to whine about and Mr. Robertson is always whinning about something.

Let people be all hurt over it. It was harmless and funny. SNL has been mocking things like this forever.

After a skit like this one there is always some group of people just trying to get attention (see anything that isn't positive about gays/lesbians)

Exactly. Muslims, Islams, Buddhists, Jews, Normans have all been put into skits on SNL before. People just want attention and the best way is to whine about something.

tsjct
12-23-2011, 01:26 PM
This is all that needs to be said.

AMEN! SNL has sucked for a long time.