PDA

View Full Version : Parents upset over bibles handed out at school.

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/nc-parent-upset-over-bibles-handed-out-at-school

Your thoughts??

angel0430
12-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I am not against this. They did not make the students take the bibles homes. They left a box and it was the students choice to pick one up. I am tired of situations like this one making it big on the daily news. If you do not like it, just send it back. Just becauase one persons gets offended does not mean that this is wrong. People need to grow up and stop making a big deal out of every single thing.

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I am not against this. They did not make the students take the bibles homes. They left a box and it was the students choice to pick one up. I am tired of situations like this one making it big on the daily news. If you do not like it, just send it back. Just becauase one persons gets offended does not mean that this is wrong. People need to grow up and stop making a big deal out of every single thing.

Makes sense to me but let me play devil's advocate. Say the religions were switched and the school offered a copy of the koran, the book of morman, the egyptian book of the dead, etc would you feel the same way. BTW this question is open to anyone not just the last person who posted. Thanks.

duane1969
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
If there is a box of them sitting there and the kids have the option to take it or leave it then I see no issue with it regrdless of what the book is.

Here is the problem for me.

Strivelli, a pagan, doesn't think the school should offer any religious material to students.

Read more: http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/nc-parent-upset-over-bibles-handed-out-at-school#ixzz1hBfDB2OF

Why does her pagan beliefs/rights override the rights of others? One person doesn't like it so the entire school should be prevented from it? And why does this apply only to liberal perspectives?

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 12:37 PM
If there is a box of them sitting there and the kids have the option to take it or leave it then I see no issue with it regrdless of what the book is.

Here is the problem for me.

Why does her pagan beliefs/rights override the rights of others? One person doesn't like it so the entire school should be prevented from it? And why does this apply only to liberal perspectives?

Schools and libraries are places of learning. I have no problems with books that are age appropriate being available for student use. However schools as well as libraries since they are agents of the state cannot show preference for or against any particular religion. If the school is ok with the gideons having bibles available for students they must also allow other religions to be given the opportunity to make their holy books available as well.

AUTaxMan
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Makes sense to me but let me play devil's advocate. Say the religions were switched and the school offered a copy of the koran, the book of morman, the egyptian book of the dead, etc would you feel the same way. BTW this question is open to anyone not just the last person who posted. Thanks.

Nobody would care.

habsheaven
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I have no problem with them offering any form of religious material in this manner. Does it however violate the Constitution? That's for the legal scholars to decide.

mrveggieman
12-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Nobody would care.

So you are saying that if your child came home with a copy of the koran or the egyptian book of the dead that was given away at his/her school you would have no problem with it whatsoever?

duane1969
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Schools and libraries are places of learning. I have no problems with books that are age appropriate being available for student use. However schools as well as libraries since they are agents of the state cannot show preference for or against any particular religion. If the school is ok with the gideons having bibles available for students they must also allow other religions to be given the opportunity to make their holy books available as well.

There is nothing to indicate that they prohibited anyone from leaving their religious books. The Gideons asked and they agreed.

theonedru
12-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe we should look at laying blame on the superintendent, he was the one who okay ed it.

AUTaxMan
12-21-2011, 04:22 PM
So you are saying that if your child came home with a copy of the koran or the egyptian book of the dead that was given away at his/her school you would have no problem with it whatsoever?

No. I think I could handle the situation myself. Don't need to government to do it for me.

OnePimpTiger
12-21-2011, 08:44 PM

You're exactly right, schools are a place for learning. What's wrong with learning about the religions of the world? I would not have a problem with it...it would give my child (and possibly myself) a prime opportunity to learn and be better informed. People always assume Christians blindly follow what they have been taught from childhood and shun any contrary information, which is very often incorrect (no, not always). Similarly, what is wrong with a pagan voluntarily learning about Christianity?

gatorboymike
12-21-2011, 10:57 PM
You're exactly right, schools are a place for learning. What's wrong with learning about the religions of the world? I would not have a problem with it...it would give my child (and possibly myself) a prime opportunity to learn and be better informed.

In that case, put your money where your mouth is. Go find a local Muslim organization and ask them to send you children's literature. Then take a picture of them reading it and post it up here.

People always assume Christians blindly follow what they have been taught from childhood and shun any contrary information, which is very often incorrect (no, not always).

Sure you don't, Sunny Jim.

Similarly, what is wrong with a pagan voluntarily learning about Christianity?

Nothing is wrong with that. The problem is, there's a big difference between saying "This is what Religion X believes" and "Religion X is true." And Christians are absolutely, absolutely, absolutely incapable of saying the former without saying the latter. And they almost universally have no interest in, and in fact have overt hostility toward, learning what any other religions believe. Prove me wrong.

Hairylemon
12-21-2011, 11:04 PM
If you want a bible take one, if you don't leave it behind. Why do people need to complain about such tiny matters? I'm no christian but there is no problem in what the school did. I'm guessing that the "Pagan" parent never stays in hotels for fear of being offended by a gideon bible.

OnePimpTiger
12-22-2011, 12:03 AM
In that case, put your money where your mouth is. Go find a local Muslim organization and ask them to send you children's literature. Then take a picture of them reading it and post it up here.

Can I wait a few years? My 3 and 4 year olds are still trying to learn the alphabet. But, once they're old enough to understand, I will make sure they learn about all of the world's major religions. I'll start by letting them read my books on Islam, Mormonism, Buddhism, and Taoism...maybe even let them check out the papers I've written on Islam and Buddhism.

Sure you don't, Sunny Jim.

Ahh and the "Sunny Jim" makes its first appearance...Ladies and gentlemen, it is officially a religion thread! Sit back and let gatorboy tell you what you believe!

Nothing is wrong with that. The problem is, there's a big difference between saying "This is what Religion X believes" and "Religion X is true." And Christians are absolutely, absolutely, absolutely incapable of saying the former without saying the latter. And they almost universally have no interest in, and in fact have overt hostility toward, learning what any other religions believe. Prove me wrong.

Christianity believes God created the Heavens and the Earth and sent his son Jesus to die for mankind's sin and be its savior...I believe that. I do not know if it is true. I have faith that it is true, but I do not know if it is and I fully understand I may be placing my faith in a bunch of lies.

So, if your "absolutely, absolutely, absolutely" is that easily proven wrong, does that mean everything you say is just a bunch of bull? Don't bother, rhetorical question.

duane1969
12-22-2011, 09:03 AM

And of course this is exclusive to Christianity. All other religions explain what they teach and then make sure that everyone knows their version might not be true, right?

angel0430
12-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Man I love this place.

On anothere note, I would not be offended by this and like AUTaxman said, I could handle it myself if something bothers me...no need to call the media or nothing like that. This is just someone that needs some attention and they are dragging their kids while at it.

mrveggieman
12-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Man I love this place.

On anothere note, I would not be offended by this and like AUTaxman said, I could handle it myself if something bothers me...no need to call the media or nothing like that. This is just someone that needs some attention and they are dragging their kids while at it.

I agree. People are too busy letting the media raise their kids. The first education a child recieves comes from home.

angel0430
12-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I agree. People are too busy letting the media raise their kids. The first education a child recieves comes from home.

Totally agree. Parents are tha ones responsible for their kids and they need to stop blaming the media for their mistakes. I have 4 kids and I think I am doing a pretty good job. Of course, it is not easy and everyday is a challenge with all the craziness going on in the world.

pghin08
12-22-2011, 10:15 AM

+ eleventy billion.

gatorboymike
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
And of course this is exclusive to Christianity. All other religions explain what they teach and then make sure that everyone knows their version might not be true, right?

Nope, all other religions are like that, too. They just couldn't get away with doing that in the US. Christians can get away with it.

If you don't like it when other people try to deflect conversations in this fashion, maybe you shouldn't do it yourself.

duane1969
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Nope, all other religions are like that, too. They just couldn't get away with doing that in the US. Christians can get away with it.

If you don't like it when other people try to deflect conversations in this fashion, maybe you shouldn't do it yourself.

Not deflecting. You just seem to always focus on Christians. To be deflecting I would have to be in support of the Christian POV. I am not.