PDA

View Full Version : If Tim Tebow were a muslim would america still love him?

mrveggieman
12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/2011/12/22/ibrahim-abdul-matin-if-tim-tebow-were-muslim-would-america-still-love-him/

pghin08
12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/2011/12/22/ibrahim-abdul-matin-if-tim-tebow-were-muslim-would-america-still-love-him/

No way, not like they do now.

ensbergcollector
12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
no he wouldn't. but he also wouldn't be attacked the way he is by the other half either. I highly doubt SNL would do a skit mocking islam.

duane1969
12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I would challenge that America loves Tebow now.

tutall
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Most Americans cant relate to muslims like they can christians... Either way who cares? I wouldnt really dislike him because he is muslim just like I dont really care if he is a christian or not I enjoy watching him play because it is exciting.

Hairylemon
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Does America love him now? Seems to me many folks are annoyed and fed up with his christian shenanigans. Guess it's a 50/50 split. If he was a muslim it would be a 99/1 split. But he isn't so no matter,

mrveggieman
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I would take it one step futher. If he tebow were an open muslim not only would he not get any love from madison ave he would not have would not have won the hiesman, been a first round draft choice or had any type of chance in the nfl. To be brutally honest america will be accepting of an openly gay athlete before they will an openly muslim athlete.

Hairylemon
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Does Ali count as a muslim athlete or was he a "faux muslim"?

tutall
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Would Tebow be a hero if he played soccer in Iran as an openly christian man?

Olajuwon seemed to do quite well... Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a hero to many people, Bernard Hopkins was pretty famous and who doesnt like Mike Tyson.... There are a ton of Muslims playing in sports and in music and film that no on really cares about as long as they perform. He may not have as many jersey sales to kids in Utah but I would still turn in to watch him

Hairylemon
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Read up about what the Iranian government did to the national soccer team when they lost some games, caned on the soles of the feet I believe. I don't think many western soccer players would be in a hurry to go to Iran to play. There are plenty of African and European players who play in the Saudi league and the other various middle eastern leagues, so Tebow would probably be cheered in those muslim countries.

Hairylemon
12-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Why if he was a muslim? Would people love him if was a Hindu, a sikh or maybe a satanist?

tutall
12-22-2011, 04:04 PM
He would be cheered because he was good though... Not because of his religion is my point. I dont turn on Fox to watch him because of his post game interview saying he is thanking god... I tune in because I want to see him try to keep his streak going and win in the 4th quarter.

mrveggieman
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Olajuwon seemed to do quite well... Kareem Abdul Jabbar was a hero to many people, Bernard Hopkins was pretty famous and who doesnt like Mike Tyson.... There are a ton of Muslims playing in sports and in music and film that no on really cares about as long as they perform. He may not have as many jersey sales to kids in Utah but I would still turn in to watch him

Those are all good examples. However Mike Tyson is frowned upon for other reasons so his religion is an afterthought, Hopkins is not an outspoken muslim Hakeem isn't from the states and isn't considered an all american hero. The only one left would be Kareem but he was no where as brash about his faith as Tebow. I would agree with you that all of the forementioned athletes including tebow are fun to watch but I will say that none of them are as out there with their respective religions as tebow.

shortking98
12-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Those are all good examples. However Mike Tyson is frowned upon for other reasons so his religion is an afterthought, Hopkins is not an outspoken muslim Hakeem isn't from the states and isn't considered an all american hero. The only one left would be Kareem but he was no where as brash about his faith as Tebow. I would agree with you that all of the forementioned athletes including tebow are fun to watch but I will say that none of them are as out there with their respective religions as tebow.

What about Ali?

pghin08
12-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Consider the sport though, I say this for a couple reasons:

1. The NFL is the most popular sports league in this country, bar none. It's not even close.

2. The NFL totally lacks the diversity that most other sports have. How many players were raised outside of the US (I recognize the hypocrisy of saying this in a thread about Tebow, born in the Philippines)? There's almost a sense of unspoken conformity.

The controversial thing about Tebow is how open he is about everything. When I think of openly Islamic athletes, like most, I think of Kareem and Ali. However, they were products of a far different media generation. One that first of all, wasn't on 24/7/365. But really, the difference lies in how we view Islam since 9/11. Back when Kareem and Ali were popular, Islam wasn't viewed as a major threat. If they were performing today, it would be a whole different story.

tutall
12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Consider the sport though, I say this for a couple reasons:

1. The NFL is the most popular sports league in this country, bar none. It's not even close.

2. The NFL totally lacks the diversity that most other sports have. How many players were raised outside of the US (I recognize the hypocrisy of saying this in a thread about Tebow, born in the Philippines)? There's almost a sense of unspoken conformity.

The controversial thing about Tebow is how open he is about everything. When I think of openly Islamic athletes, like most, I think of Kareem and Ali. However, they were products of a far different media generation. One that first of all, wasn't on 24/7/365. But really, the difference lies in how we view Islam since 9/11. Back when Kareem and Ali were popular, Islam wasn't viewed as a major threat. If they were performing today, it would be a whole different story.

Thats because how many people outside the US play football... The NBA used to be like that but now the rest of the world is catching up and there are more and more foreigners playing every year.

I doagree with you on the media aspect but there really isnt anything Tebow could do about it. If someone wants him for an interview it isnt like he is going to decline or be someone he isnt. When Kareem and Ali were popular in their sports though theywere pretty much the biggest sports and sporting figures of their generations.

theonedru
12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
he is not muslim, this article is ridiculous and a waste of time to read.

tsjct
12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
He will not even be a starter in a few years so this will all be over with and i will be ONE HAPPY Person when it is. I am just glad i saved alot of his rookies to sell during this time. Thanks TEBOW for making me some money. Sold a lot of Base rookies for $175 and last year they would not have brought $15 LOL. People are crazy over the guy and i am happy. WIN WIN

duane1969
12-22-2011, 09:59 PM
There are plenty of Muslim athletes who face no criticism or detriment because they are Muslim. Just off the top of my head...

Muhsin Muhammed played for like 15 years and was highly regarded for quite a few of those years as one of the better WRs in the NFL.

Karim Abdul-Jabbar was touted as the guy who was going to turn around the Dolphins running game until it was discovered he couldn't average 4 yards per carry

Kareem and Olajuwon were mentioned...did you know that Shaquille O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace are also Muslim?

Being Muslim hasn't seemed to hurt the careers of Akon, Nas, Mos Def, Ice Cube, Dave Chappelle or Ahmad Rashad either.

gatorboymike
12-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Hedo Turkoglu is Muslim too, and that hasn't hurt his career. His career is hurting because he sucks.

But maybe if Shaq rolled out a prayer rug, faced Mecca and said "Allahu akbar" after every time he dunked, and started off every interview with "First of all I'd like to thank my prophet, Muhammad (PBUH)," people would get sick of it too.

gladdyontherise
12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
But maybe if Shaq rolled out a prayer rug, faced Mecca and said "Allahu akbar" after every time he dunked, and started off every interview with "First of all I'd like to thank my prophet, Muhammad (PBUH)," people would get sick of it too.

...and this is the correct answer here.

It doesn't matter what you believe in, people just don't want to hear about it 24/7 (which Tebow does)

duane1969
12-23-2011, 01:10 PM

It doesn't matter what you believe in, people just don't want to hear about it 24/7 (which tebow does)

+1

theonedru
12-23-2011, 02:23 PM

It doesn't matter what you believe in, people just don't want to hear about it 24/7 (which Tebow does)

Actually he doesn't rub it n our faces 24/7 he is just one man and can't do it, now society on the other hand if they shut up about it it wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying. So society quit talking about it

tutall
12-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Actually he doesn't rub it n our faces 24/7 he is just one man and can't do it, now society on the other hand if they shut up about it it wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying. So society quit talking about it

This is the correct answer.... Tebow is interviewed what? Maye 8 times a week... The media plays the same clips over and over and over and over...

gladdyontherise
12-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Oh i'm sorry I was unaware I can't have an opinion....

Fact is Tebow is ALWAYS bringing up his religion. There are other very religious athletes who don't feel the need to shove it down our throats.

tutall
12-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh i'm sorry I was unaware I can't have an opinion....

Fact is Tebow is ALWAYS bringing up his religion. There are other very religious athletes who don't feel the need to shove it down our throats.

You can have an opinion... Fact of the matter is though I believe your opinion is wrong. Shaq did speak about his religion on multiple occasions and even promoted the fact he was traveling overseas to participate in a religion activity, Kareem DID speak about his religion, Ali changed his name due to his religion and spoke about it. Hakeem made it very clear during the season during Ramadan he did not eat or drink during the day. We didnt see those guys looped on Sportscenter like they have done to Tebow. When he was in college I enjoyed seeing him play and honestly had no idea the things he stood for. I heard he was a good kidbut when Florida was on TV I wanted to see him because he could put the football in the endzone. Most of this is played up because of his late game heroics... If that wasnt happening none of this would even be talked about and you wouldnt have to listen to his post game interviews

gladdyontherise
12-23-2011, 06:17 PM
You can have an opinion... Fact of the matter is though I believe your opinion is wrong. Shaq did speak about his religion on multiple occasions and even promoted the fact he was traveling overseas to participate in a religion activity, Kareem DID speak about his religion, Ali changed his name due to his religion and spoke about it. Hakeem made it very clear during the season during Ramadan he did not eat or drink during the day. We didnt see those guys looped on Sportscenter like they have done to Tebow. When he was in college I enjoyed seeing him play and honestly had no idea the things he stood for. I heard he was a good kidbut when Florida was on TV I wanted to see him because he could put the football in the endzone. Most of this is played up because of his late game heroics... If that wasnt happening none of this would even be talked about and you wouldnt have to listen to his post game interviews

There's a difference between being proud of your religion and sharing your beliefs and sharing it non-stop and basically telling people that if you don't believe in this you're wrong, no?

theonedru
12-23-2011, 06:30 PM
I see America unnaturally obsessing about it like they do with every other famous figure who does anything. Look at every RB or WR that score a touchdown and kisses his fingers pointing to the sky, or makes the sign of the cross or other religious gesture that way more prevalent that anything Tebow does or says, lets over obsess about that for awhile....

tutall
12-23-2011, 06:49 PM
There's a difference between being proud of your religion and sharing your beliefs and sharing it non-stop and basically telling people that if you don't believe in this you're wrong, no?

Care to share some links where he says any of that to a national audience where any of it relates to football?

ensbergcollector
12-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Care to share some links where he says any of that to a national audience where any of it relates to football?

Wont find it. If a guy says "i would like to thank jesus christ" that equals shoving it down people's throats. we love when athletes talk trash non stop but if it is religion then we act all offended.

gladdyontherise
12-24-2011, 12:13 PM

I was paraphrasing, but I've seen posted statements from Tebow that has said as much, and no i'm not going to search because I don't care enough to do so. Pretty sure gatorboymike posted it though.

Wont find it. If a guy says "i would like to thank jesus christ" that equals shoving it down people's throats. we love when athletes talk trash non stop but if it is religion then we act all offended.

Cop out and untrue.

And for the record, if Tebow said all the time "I would like to thank my god, Allah" how would that go over to Christian believers? I'm not saying you would have a problem with it, but the people who hate on others that are tired of Tebow talking about his religion all the time would be the first people up in arms and hating him.

duane1969
12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
The simple fact is that it doesn't matter what your religion is, someone will hate you for it. If Tebow were Muslim he would be just as loved and just as hated, just loved by different people and hated by different people.

ensbergcollector
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I was paraphrasing, but I've seen posted statements from Tebow that has said as much, and no i'm not going to search because I don't care enough to do so. Pretty sure gatorboymike posted it though.

Cop out and untrue.

And for the record, if Tebow said all the time "I would like to thank my god, Allah" how would that go over to Christian believers? I'm not saying you would have a problem with it, but the people who hate on others that are tired of Tebow talking about his religion all the time would be the first people up in arms and hating him.

not a cop out and completely true. Guys spew all kinds of crap. Mike Tyson didn't get this kind of bad press for his "i want to eat your children" line. We are all about supporting people's first amendment rights to free speech unless they talk about christianity.
mendenhall comes out and practically defends osama bin laden. he got bad press for like 2 days. millionaire athletes compare themselves to slaves and get 5 minutes of bad press.
tim tebow says i want to thank jesus and he is the most offensive person who ever lived.
I would be fine if people just said, I don't want to hear it every time he is interviewed. But the people who say he is shoving down our throats are going way overboard IMO.

tutall
12-24-2011, 12:51 PM

I know... which is why i have posted this on 3 threads so far and have yet to get a response.

duane1969
12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
not a cop out and completely true. Guys spew all kinds of crap. Mike Tyson didn't get this kind of bad press for his "i want to eat your children" line. We are all about supporting people's first amendment rights to free speech unless they talk about christianity.
mendenhall comes out and practically defends osama bin laden. he got bad press for like 2 days. millionaire athletes compare themselves to slaves and get 5 minutes of bad press.
tim tebow says i want to thank jesus and he is the most offensive person who ever lived.
I would be fine if people just said, I don't want to hear it every time he is interviewed. But the people who say he is shoving down our throats are going way overboard IMO.

Very good point. It is indicative of how distorted our society has become.

gladdyontherise
12-24-2011, 12:56 PM

My bad, I didn't realize you were generalizing it as much. I'll say this, If i'm going a hypocrite about something I come out and say it.

gatorboymike
12-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Tebow would be reviled far more than he is now if he said before every interview "We earned this victory ourselves because there is no god."

ensbergcollector
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Tebow would be reviled far more than he is now if he said before every interview "We earned this victory ourselves because there is no god."

i think he would get hate from the westboro's and the pat robertsons. however, he would be applauded by the mainstream because he would be a representative of how far our country has come and how accepting and PC we are. I consider myself a middle of the road christian as far as politics and views and i would have no problem with an athlete saying what you said.

tsjct
12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
I agree! if he was Atheist he would be ADORED by the mainstream media.

Rockman
12-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Something like 60-75% of people identify themselves as Christians, can someone explain to me how that doesn't make Christianity mainstream.

mrveggieman
12-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Something like 60-75% of people identify themselves as Christians, can someone explain to me how that doesn't make Christianity mainstream.

I hear the crickets chirping........

mrveggieman
12-27-2011, 09:13 AM
The simple fact is that it doesn't matter what your religion is, someone will hate you for it. If Tebow were Muslim he would be just as loved and just as hated, just loved by different people and hated by different people.

I agree with you to a certian point however if Tebow was a muslim he would get more hate from the american media because america is not a muslim country.