PDA

View Full Version : Stem cells could hold key to 'stopping ageing' say scientists

pwaldo
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2081734/Stem-cells-hold-key-stopping-ageing-say-scientists-successful-mouse-trial.html

Stem cells can halt ageing - and even prolong lifespans up to three times, scientists say.

An experiment proved that a single injection of stem cells could make mice live three times as long.

The injection also made the mice grow bigger and stronger.

Scientists think that studying the proteins within stem cells might hold the key to injections that offer a 'shot of youthful vigour' to human beings.

The researchers, from the University of Pittsburgh,say further research could help us hold off the ageing process altogether.

mrveggieman
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't know if that is true or not but it wouldn't hurt to research the issue futher. It's not going to bring the life of the unborn back by not using the stem cells.

habsheaven
01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
If the life expectancy of humans went from 75 to 225 the planet's human population would explode and be unsustainable. This is research better left alone.

BGT Masters
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
If the life expectancy of humans went from 75 to 225 the planet's human population would explode and be unsustainable. This is research better left alone.

Nah, then we could look to populate the oceans and Mars. It has to happen sooner or later anyways if we are going to survive as a species moving from Earth is necessary.

duane1969
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM

My thoughts exactly. We need to figure out how to feed the people we have now. Adding another 20 or 30 billion people to the mix because we are living longer makes no sense.

andrewhoya
01-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Am I the only one who wouldn't want to live to be 225?

habsheaven
01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Am I the only one who wouldn't want to live to be 225?

It's not about what we all want. It's about the consequences paid for getting what you want.

BGT Masters
01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Depends on what type of living I'd be doing the extra 150 years. Its not unheard of to see a jump like that, we're already living twice as long as our great, great grandparents did. I believe people lived something like half as long just 150 years ago as we do now. Though different things skewed the numbers like child birth rates. If we could provide a better, more responsible way of living as the human race and I wouldn't mind it. As I mentioned earlier though, unless we start colonizing other planets I don't see increasing the population that much, because of living longer, ever working.

gatorboymike
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
As long as I don't look like I'm 225 when I am 225.

Besides, we all know that only the ultra-rich would be able to afford the technology to live that long until the technology was sufficiently advanced to let them live to 425.

Star_Cards
01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
if I were in the shape of now I'd be okay with living that long. Also if my friends and family lived that long as well then I see no problem with it. However, if you aged as we do now and had to live that extra 150 years as 80-90 year olds do now and worse then I'd say no.

As for stem cell research, I think it's worth looking into for other reasons outside of increasing life expectancy. They talk about possible ways to cure certain diseases, etc. I think that justifies research. You never know, there could be some sort of cancer cure or something huge like that that could come from it. It may not let us live until 225, but could allow people who die way too young a chance to live a longer life.

AUTaxMan
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Imagine the financial burden of having to pay everyone social security and medicare for 150 years.

mrveggieman
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Imagine the financial burden of having to pay everyone social security and medicare for 150 years.

They will just raise the retirement age. :winking0071:

duane1969
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Imagine the uproar when people are told that they can't retire until they are 200 years old!!!

BGT Masters
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Could you imagine how many kids some people would have in that amount of time?

Star_Cards
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I guess we all assume that we'd just live until were 200 years old and everything else would stay the same. If our life spans went up that much surely there would be other changes. Would people's bodies perform as they do in their middle age years? Would people produce multiple generations (as we know them now) of offspring? Would they be able to produce offspring once in their hundreds?

surely if we lived until we were 200 there would be other retirement and financial changes. I guess it depends really on the quality of life and the availability to work past where people currently do now.

AUTaxMan
01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Could you imagine how many kids some people would have in that amount of time?

think of all the welfare checks you could bring in!

BGT Masters
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
You mean not work by choice, and have kids just so I could abuse the system and live off the government my entire life? Who has ever heard of such a thing? Boy, I sure am glad we don't live in a place like that.