PDA

View Full Version : Black church awarded ownership of KKK shop

gatorboymike
01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/judge-black-church-rightful-owner-kkk-store-174103559.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) After a lengthy legal battle between a black South Carolina church and members of the Ku Klux Klan, a judge has ruled that the church owns a building where KKK robes and T-shirts are sold.

A circuit judge ruled last month that New Beginnings Baptist Church is the rightful owner of the building that houses the Redneck Shop, which operates a so-called Klan museum and sells Klan robes and T-shirts emblazoned with racial slurs. The judge ordered the shop's proprietor to pay the church's legal bills of more than $3,300.

Like they said on South Park, if irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

AUTaxMan
01-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Funny stuff. Would like to read the order. The article doesn't really explain what the real legal issue was.

tutall
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I guess I just dont get what the big deal is... Sure KKK stuff offends people but so do a ton of other shirt and items sold nationawide every day that nothing is said about it... If some jackhole wants to wear a KKK shirt let him.... But since he is practicing his free speech he should also not be surprised if someone calls him out on it...

Star_Cards
01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
that's irony at it's best. so the church owns the building and the owner of the store has the right to operate his store in the building until he dies. So the hate group will be making money but in turn funneling money back to a church of a race they don't care for much. This has sitcom written all over it.

pwaldo
01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
What is a black church exactly? Do they only let black people in?

mrveggieman
01-04-2012, 02:28 PM

I attened 2 different "Black" churches in my area. At both of them all are welcome regardless of race. Oddly enough one of the "Black" churches was ran by a Latino preacher.

duane1969
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM

I have been to a "black" church. They are much more welcoming of whites than a "white" church would be of blacks.

Some of the best freakin' gospel singing you will ever hear too...

Star_Cards
01-04-2012, 03:08 PM
^ picturing the church in The Blues Brothers.

duane1969
01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
^ picturing the church in The Blues Brothers.

LOL, pretty close.

tsjct
01-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Well FUBU clothes offend me and i can promise if a black man was selling this in a store owned by a Church owner this would not be happening. I do not agree at all with the KKK but its just that same old thing here. The NAACP would be all over the church owner for trying to stop the black man from selling his FUBU clothes claiming racism.

AUTaxMan
01-04-2012, 11:55 PM
They are much more welcoming of whites than a "white" church would be of blacks.

False.

pspstatus
01-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Well FUBU clothes offend me and i can promise if a black man was selling this in a store owned by a Church owner this would not be happening. I do not agree at all with the KKK but its just that same old thing here. The NAACP would be all over the church owner for trying to stop the black man from selling his FUBU clothes claiming racism.

Are black people the only ones that wear FUBU? Man look at what you're writing here. Do you really think that a black man selling FUBU and a white man selling KKK clothing is the same thing? I'm not so sure myself.

FUBU=Clothing company started by black people in NY as a way to help the communities where the founders lived.

KKK=Hate group established by white people in Tennessee as a secret society associated with the murder of freed slaves and their allies.

Nope you're right, that's pretty much the same thing.

It doesn't matter anyway because while the church may protest the shop which they have every right to do, Mr. Kennedy can't shut the shop down due to the terms of the contract. And as far as I can tell from the article noone is trying to shut it down. But the owner of the property has every right to inspect his building to ensure the tenant is taking proper care of it. I think you may need to reevaluate the way you're looking at this.

tsjct
01-05-2012, 04:55 AM
Are black people the only ones that wear FUBU? Man look at what you're writing here. Do you really think that a black man selling FUBU and a white man selling KKK clothing is the same thing? I'm not so sure myself.

FUBU=Clothing company started by black people in NY as a way to help the communities where the founders lived.

KKK=Hate group established by white people in Tennessee as a secret society associated with the murder of freed slaves and their allies.

Nope you're right, that's pretty much the same thing.

It doesn't matter anyway because while the church may protest the shop which they have every right to do, Mr. Kennedy can't shut the shop down due to the terms of the contract. And as far as I can tell from the article noone is trying to shut it down. But the owner of the property has every right to inspect his building to ensure the tenant is taking proper care of it. I think you may need to reevaluate the way you're looking at this.

I will bet MR. Kennedy will find a way to get them out of the shop. We will have to follow the story to see. Here is his latest Quote: "I don't count anything out," Kennedy said. "I think that the church would do good in that building."

gatorboymike
01-05-2012, 05:23 AM
You know, if I was Mr. Kennedy, I wouldn't shut the shop down. I'd keep it open. And then I'd publish the names and addresses of everyone who shops there.

mrveggieman
01-05-2012, 09:23 AM
False.

And you know this how??

tsjct
01-05-2012, 09:38 AM
You know, if I was Mr. Kennedy, I wouldn't shut the shop down. I'd keep it open. And then I'd publish the names and addresses of everyone who shops there.

And I hope the Shop owner is able to keep doing what he is doing as this is america and he has the right to do it whether you or i agree with it. I could care a less if the guy is open or not but he has the right. One thing i can say is i bet money he got no obama bail out money.

mrveggieman
01-05-2012, 09:45 AM
And I hope the Shop owner is able to keep doing what he is doing as this is america and he has the right to do it whether you or i agree with it. I could care a less if the guy is open or not but he has the right. One thing i can say is i bet money he got no obama bail out money.

To be honest I think that this particular shop will close its doors real soon because its clientel will not want to support a business that has a Black church for a landlord.

tsjct
01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
To be honest I think that this particular shop will close its doors real soon because its clientel will not want to support a business that has a Black church for a landlord.

I hope so. Lets say its closed so all will be happy. THE STORE HAS CLOSED!

AUTaxMan
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
And you know this how??

Based on my personal experiences, which are just as valid as his.

mrveggieman
01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Based on my personal experiences, which are just as valid as his.

I feel bad for you if you were made uncomfortable at any house of worship that you chose to attend. I have attended majority Black churches who welcomed all regardless of race as well as mixed churches and in different states and I haven't heard anyone said that they were made to feel uncomfortable. If you don't mind me asking what state did you attend a church where you were made to feel uncomfortable?

duane1969
01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't disagree with this idea. <br />
<br />
Not sure how the state laws work but that might be a problem for them to do. I know a while back that a Christian group got in trouble for writing down license...

Star_Cards
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM

I would keep it open, but I'm not sure what right a landlord has to a renters business records. Besides, if a person is buying and wearing a shirt that has a racist saying on it I doubt they would care if they were "outed" as a shopper at that store.

AUTaxMan
01-05-2012, 04:35 PM
I would keep it open, but I'm not sure what right a landlord has to a renters business records. Besides, if a person is buying and wearing a shirt that has a racist saying on it I doubt they would care if they were "outed" as a shopper at that store.

I'm not sure it is even a landlord-tenant relationship. Sounds like a life estate, in which case the life tenant would have complete right to possess and use the building until he dies, and the remainderman would only have the right to enter the building to inspect it for damage. If there is damage, the remainderman could sue the life tenant, but he could not otherwise gain access to or prohibit any use of the property.

As usual, the journalist does a terrible job of explaining the legal issue.

AUTaxMan
01-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I feel bad for you if you were made uncomfortable at any house of worship that you chose to attend. I have attended majority Black churches who welcomed all regardless of race as well as mixed churches and in different states and I haven't heard anyone said that they were made to feel uncomfortable. If you don't mind me asking what state did you attend a church where you were made to feel uncomfortable?

No, I was talking about the other side of the coin, that white churches would not be welcoming of blacks.

AUTaxMan
01-05-2012, 04:39 PM

See my point on the legal ramifications. Most likely, the business doesn't have to pay a dime to the church, so it shouldn't really matter to the customers.

mrveggieman
01-05-2012, 06:34 PM
No, I was talking about the other side of the coin, that white churches would not be welcoming of blacks.

Yea you, I, Duane and pretty much everyone would agree that in 2011 there are still some churches that follow the jerry fallwell school of ministry. SMH.

AUTaxMan
01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Yea you, I, Duane and pretty much everyone would agree that in 2011 there are still some churches that follow the jerry fallwell school of ministry. SMH.

since they do not represent "white" churches in general, i would consider that point irrelevant

gatorboymike
01-05-2012, 10:57 PM
since they do not represent "white" churches in general, i would consider that point irrelevant

Are you sure about that?

pspstatus
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I will bet MR. Kennedy will find a way to get them out of the shop. We will have to follow the story to see. Here is his latest Quote: "I don't count anything out," Kennedy said. "I think that the church would do good in that building."

None of this is really relevant to the quote that you're responding to.

AUTaxMan
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Are you sure about that?

yes

MadMan1978
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I am having a problem with the "Black" Church and "White" Chruch thing....Are these the colors of the Shutters?

Star_Cards
01-06-2012, 12:30 PM
I would say that the typical church would be open to having any race join.

and even if you have a church that is predominantly of a minority race, I'd assume that most would be open to people of any other race joining.

mrveggieman
01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I would say that the typical church would be open to having any race join.

and even if you have a church that is predominantly of a minority race, I'd assume that most would be open to people of any other race joining.

I can attest to that. Of the two churches that I spent the most time at here in Georgia even though they are both predomitely Black all races are welcome and encoraged to join.

AUTaxMan
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I can attest to that. Of the two churches that I spent the most time at here in Georgia even though they are both predomitely Black all races are welcome and encoraged to join.

Same with every church I have ever been a member of, and they have all been mostly white.