PDA

View Full Version : Comparing the bible to works of fiction

mrveggieman
01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Not to suggest that the bible is or is not fiction but the guy who wrote this bought up some interesting points. Your thoughts.

http://www.dangeroustalk.net/?p=2684

ensbergcollector
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Not to suggest that the bible is or is not fiction but the guy who wrote this bought up some interesting points. Your thoughts.

http://www.dangeroustalk.net/?p=2684

not being sarcastic, am I missing a link or are we talking about the 4 paragraphs? if so, what interesting points does he bring up?

if we are, why would the fact that the bible talks about people and morals and so do fiction works. How in the world can the author take the fact that there are similarities to mean the bible is fiction?

Star_Cards
01-05-2012, 12:37 PM
I get how people who take the bible and complete fact would get upset or offended when someone else compares it to fictional works or simply calls is fictional. I guess for them the perfect defense of that would be to say that characters like superman or a movie like star wars is comparable because the bible influenced their creation.

my main thing is that it's a faith and even if that faith is a huge part of who someone is as a person the fact is that it's a faith.

Star_Cards
01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I also don't really get the point of the article. Seems like he didn't really have a major point to deliver with this other than people get offended when other say their faith is fiction.

like ensberg said, saying the bible is similar to other fictional stories and characters is hardly evidence of saying it's also fiction.

habsheaven
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
The author is not saying the Bible is fiction because of the similarities to fictional books. He actually does not offer any reasons as to why he believes so. He is talking about the fact Christians get in an uproar when he compares passages and characters in the Bible to similar characters in fictional works.

With that said, I do not see any interesting points being made either.

mrveggieman
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
not being sarcastic, am I missing a link or are we talking about the 4 paragraphs? if so, what interesting points does he bring up?

if we are, why would the fact that the bible talks about people and morals and so do fiction works. How in the world can the author take the fact that there are similarities to mean the bible is fiction?

I have actually chatted with this guy on facebook. He is about as hardcore atheists as some of people on here are hardcore christians. The point that I believe that he was trying to make is that if christians go to the bible (which he as an atheist does not believe in) for moral advice why not turn to other works of literature which may also give moral guidance. Again not saying that I agree with him but it was an interesting article.

BTW I actually debated with him and I was supporting christanity and the bible. He is cool but he can be kind of extreme with his atheism just like some christians are extreme with their christanity.

ensbergcollector
01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
i think some christians would get offended at his claiming that because there are similarities between the bible and fiction that makes the bible fiction.

I don't know any christians who get offended that there are similar themes in the bible and fiction.

tsjct
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Faith is Faith! I will never let anyone change that. Its what a person believes in their own heart. I have friends who are atheist and that is what they believe and i still accept them as that is what i believe is right. No book, article, or anything can change my outlook or my beliefs.

Star_Cards
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
The author is not saying the Bible is fiction because of the similarities to fictional books. He actually does not offer any reasons as to why he believes so. He is talking about the fact Christians get in an uproar when he compares passages and characters in the Bible to similar characters in fictional works.

With that said, I do not see any interesting points being made either.

true, he is not saying that. the fact that he didn't really say much with this article caused me to speculate what he point was. if it was the fact that a person would get mad if someone else called their believe, a work of fiction, I'll publish a book telling people what color different things are. lol

ensbergcollector
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Faith is Faith! I will never let anyone change that. Its what a person believes in their own heart. I have friends who are atheist and that is what they believe and i still accept them as that is what i believe is right. No book, article, or anything can change my outlook or my beliefs.

would that also include news, history books, science books, etc?

(just joking)

Star_Cards
01-05-2012, 01:00 PM

true. I do disagree though that an outlook or belief can't be changed.

habsheaven
01-05-2012, 01:10 PM

This is what religions are counting on.

gatorboymike
01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
[/B]

would that also include news, history books, science books, etc?

(just joking)

I see my job is already being done for me, by the last person I would have thought would do it. I'm going to go slam back some Jack Daniels.

ensbergcollector
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I see my job is already being done for me, by the last person I would have thought would do it. I'm going to go slam back some Jack Daniels.

glad I still have some surprises up my sleeve. enjoy!

gatorboymike
01-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Although I will compare the Bible to other works of fiction in this fashion...what most Christians do with the Bible is like if I were to say this:

"Atlas Shrugged is the best book of all time! Although, I've never actually read it, and I have only a pathetically vague, almost certainly inaccurate, and shamelessly self-serving idea of what the plot is like, I definitely feel like it is the greatest thing ever written, it's a perfect guide for how to live your life, and Ayn Rand knows everything!"

ensbergcollector
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Although I will compare the Bible to other works of fiction in this fashion...what most Christians do with the Bible is like if I were to say this:

"Atlas Shrugged is the best book of all time! Although, I've never actually read it, and I have only a pathetically vague, almost certainly inaccurate, and shamelessly self-serving idea of what the plot is like, I definitely feel like it is the greatest thing ever written, it's a perfect guide for how to live your life, and Ayn Rand knows everything!"

mark it down, this is a thread for the ages. I'm going to give gbm a little

church :cheer2:

it saddens me but you are very accurate