PDA

View Full Version : Would you sue a dead teen?

andrewhoya
01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/130874/dead_teen_sued_by_victim?utm_medium=sem2&utm_campaign=outbrain&utm_source=outbrain&utm_content=outbrain&quick_picks=1

The court ruled that the boy's death was "reasonably foreseeable" and that his estate can be held responsible for his negligence.

gatorboymike
01-06-2012, 11:48 PM
There goes my idea for what I wanted to have done with my dead body.

AUTaxMan
01-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Ridiculous, but not surprising that it's in Illinois. As a general rule, you can't sue dead people.

duwal
01-07-2012, 02:09 AM
Ridiculous, but not surprising that it's in Illinois. As a general rule, you can't sue dead people.

not really ridiculous at all, she's not suing the person, but the person's estate. Now the person was 18 which means there is a good chance that they were living at home so the estate would also be considered that of the parents as well. And you can sue the deceased if their action brought loss or damage to yourself

Star_Cards
01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't think it's ridiculous. Once a person dies their estate still owes any debts that that person had. Now, given this exact situation I think I'd let it be given I had insurance and my expenses were fairly well covered. It would also depend on the estate, I'm not sure how much of an estate an 18 year old has, but if it wasn't much I doubt I would too persistent about forcing them to pay out of respect. Now, had I been forced to cover a sizable amount of money to repair my broken bones I think I'd expect the person to cause the damage be accountable. I get the extreme circumstances of this situation, but legally any person that causes damage to another should be responsible for fixing it.

really I'd need to know expenses the woman has because of this and the situation of the guy's estate before knowing for sure what I'd do.