PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch The Big Waste on the food channel

theonedru
01-09-2012, 05:28 AM
I am watching this for the 2nd time tonight and I am totally disgusted by what I am watching. I knew we are a wasteful society but I am floored by the amount of food we throw away because of the way it looks. I am even more disgusted that places would rather throw this stuff out rather than donate to places that feed the needy. This seriously needs to change.

mrveggieman
01-09-2012, 06:10 AM
I haven't watched the show but I agree with what you are talking about. I believe that wasting food is a sin regardless of religious views or lack of them.

duane1969
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Many years ago I worked in fast food and was always shocked at how much food was tossed out. I can recall carrying trash bags that easily weighed 100 pounds out to the dumpster that had nothing but burgers and fries in them.

angel0430
01-09-2012, 04:16 PM
The reason most business do not donate food is because a long time ago, if I remember correctly, McDonalds gave a burger to a homeless guy and he had some stomach issues after. He sued the restaurant and he won some money. It is sad that we have to get rid of all that food knowing that there are people aout there that really need it but you also have to cover yourself from people like this guy.

mrveggieman
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
The reason most business do not donate food is because a long time ago, if I remember correctly, McDonalds gave a burger to a homeless guy and he had some stomach issues after. He sued the restaurant and he won some money. It is sad that we have to get rid of all that food knowing that there are people aout there that really need it but you also have to cover yourself from people like this guy.

Yeah one rotten apple spoils the whole barrell. Why don't these places say look we will donate unwanted food to the needy but you have to sign a waiver saying that you wont sue?

ensbergcollector
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
yeah, most restaurants are restricted from giving away anything that isn't sell-able I believe.

theonedru
01-10-2012, 12:29 AM
but this goes beyond restaurants, it reaches out to farms as well and the 40-50% waste they have due to minor blemishes

mrveggieman
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Waste not want not.

MadMan1978
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Dunkin' Doughnuts at one point donated the left over product to the shelters and such. They no longer allow this at ANY Store due to the fear that someone may be allergic to something in the food...