PDA

View Full Version : Dear Customer Who Stood Up For His Little Brother

pghin08
01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristen-wolfe/dear-customer-who-stuck-u_b_1190690.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

I usually read Huffington Post on the seventh of never, but the GF sent this to me today, and as a gay rights supporter, the actions of this young child's older brother is commendable. Heartwarming stuff.

By the way, I think this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways. I know this is a divisive topic, so please do your best to keep it civil and respect others thoughts.

mrveggieman
01-11-2012, 02:24 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristen-wolfe/dear-customer-who-stuck-u_b_1190690.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

I usually read Huffington Post on the seventh of never, but the GF sent this to me today, and as a gay rights supporter, the actions of this young child's older brother is commendable. Heartwarming stuff.

By the way, I think this goes without saying, but I'm going to say it anyways. I know this is a divisive topic, so please do your best to keep it civil and respect others thoughts.

For the love of God it's just a video game. If the father is getting that bent out of shape over a video game the he not the child is the one with issues.

pghin08
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
For the love of God it's just a video game. If the father is getting that bent out of shape over a video game the he not the child is the one with issues.

The father clearly doesn't want his son to exhibit any gay qualities. Maybe the video game thing was the end of the line for him.

habsheaven
01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I get and agree with the message this story is supposed to be conveying, but I highly doubt it is real.

Many parents try to influence the choices of their kids growing up but it is usually a lot more subtle than this portrayal.

ensbergcollector
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I get and agree with the message this story is supposed to be conveying, but I highly doubt it is real.

Many parents try to influence the choices of their kids growing up but it is usually a lot more subtle than this portrayal.

yeah, my initial thought on this was nice fiction story probably taken from a somewhat similar event.

pghin08
01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I worked retail for a few years, and I've seen plenty of behaviors that I never deemed possible. I really don't doubt it's credibility at all.

pwhite81
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Most older folk aren't hip to the hottest shoot em up games. I'm all for equality,and the right to choose, but I think this story is just that... A story.

pwaldo
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
So the point we are suppose to take from this story is that the little kid is gay or bisexual? Is that what it is saying? Because that seems like people are looking WAY too into things if that is the case.

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
no son of mine will pass up the opportunity to get a game where you can kill zombies!!!

I don't question the validity of the story. Even if it is fake it still teaches a lesson of tolerance. If this board has taught us anything, it's that even if something is not proven to be 100% without a doubt true there can be lessons learned. If it's true I feel for the kid getting called out like that and even more so being out in public. Good to know he has a brother by his side.

besides, this kid may not be a homosexual at all. Have you seen the chicks in video games?!?! for all we know he just likes purple (not uncommon) and wanted a game with even more super hot video game female characters. :)

habsheaven
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
So the point we are suppose to take from this story is that the little kid is gay or bisexual? Is that what it is saying? Because that seems like people are looking WAY too into things if that is the case.

No, the point you are supposed to take from this is that the boy may be transgender or gay, but that it is alright to be either and he has an idiot for a father and a saint for a brother.

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM

I think that's a leap some are taking. Many boys and girls when younger tend to like things that are not within their gender's social norm and aren't gay or bisexual. I think it's more about pushing past traditional gender role barriers than actual sexuality. At least that's what I took because at ten I doubt he's really even processing those types of thoughts and feelings. He's just picking out games and controllers that he likes. I doubt he's really thinking about why he might like them and not other games his dad thinks he should like.

habsheaven
01-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I think that's a leap some are taking. Many boys and girls when younger tend to like things that are not within their gender's social norm and aren't gay or bisexual. I think it's more about pushing past traditional gender role barriers than actual sexuality. At least that's what I took because at ten I doubt he's really even processing those types of thoughts and feelings. He's just picking out games and controllers that he likes. I doubt he's really thinking about why he might like them and not other games his dad thinks he should like.

I think the links on the page are what lead the reader to think this is a LGBT issue. As for processing those thoughts and feelings at 10 years old, I can assure you he is capable of doing so.

duane1969
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM

I thought the same thing. Because he was well kempt, chose a purple controller and a game witha female character does not make him gay. The author tries to imply it without saying it but I don't see it.

My favorite color is purple (seriously), I am neat and well kempt, as a youth I did cross-stitch with my mom and to this day I remain the best clothes iron operator in my house. Does that make me gay too?

If the story is true, kudos to the big brother.

duane1969
01-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I think the links on the page are what lead the reader to think this is a LGBT issue. As for processing those thoughts and feelings at 10 years old, I can assure you he is capable of doing so.

I totally overlooked the links. There would be no reason for them to include those on the page if that was not the implication.

pwaldo
01-11-2012, 04:24 PM
No, the point you are supposed to take from this is that the boy may be transgender or gay, but that it is alright to be either and he has an idiot for a father and a saint for a brother.

How does one come to the conclusion from THAT story that the kid could be gay or now transgender as you say? There really isn't enough information at all.

And actually if you were being PC about what people are implying in this thread you could be screaming stereotyping. Girl colors? Neat and clean? Really?

habsheaven
01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
How does one come to the conclusion from THAT story that the kid could be gay or now transgender as you say? There really isn't enough information at all.

And actually if you were being PC about what people are implying in this thread you could be screaming stereotyping. Girl colors? Neat and clean? Really?

I didn't come to that conclusion. See I used the words "may be". And as I stated a few posts before, all the links above the story are referencing LGBT.

pghin08
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM

The point is that he is what other kids would see as "different", even if he's not gay. And that at a tough age in his own life (15-16 year old), his older brother displayed a mature perspective.

pwaldo
01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
I didn't come to that conclusion. See I used the words "may be". And as I stated a few posts before, all the links above the story are referencing LGBT.

Oh no I wasn't really basing it off of you thinking that. I know I quoted you but I meant for the site for having the links related to it in the tags as how did THEY come to that conclusion?

Because if you removed the line about wanting a girl color (huh? purple is a girl's color) and you posted the story on a video game message board the topic of gay wouldn't even come up in the discussion. It would be about casual vs. hardcore gamers. The dad would be the typical casual gamer who likes games with guns and thinks Madden is the best game ever. While the kid likes "Japanese" themed games that appeal to hardcore gamers who care about story and quality over being cool. Heck the game was inspired by Firefly. That show is probably the most popular cancelled show among people at video game message boards.

Now I know why people over the age of 18 bought games like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Mario, and any other artsy video game over the Internet instead of going to the store. Too many people looking way to into what individuals bought. You either got harassed by the employees or people on the Internet wrote stores about you thinking that you were gay.

mrveggieman
01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
It's kind of like us for example. The majority of adults in the united states or world for that matter do not collect cards or go up to other men and ask them for their autographs. Some people might think that card collectors are stange for doing what we do.

habsheaven
01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Oh no I wasn't really basing it off of you thinking that. I know I quoted you but I meant for the site for having the links related to it in the tags as how did THEY come to that conclusion?

Because if you removed the line about wanting a girl color (huh? purple is a girl's color) and you posted the story on a video game message board the topic of gay wouldn't even come up in the discussion. It would be about casual vs. hardcore gamers. The dad would be the typical casual gamer who likes games with guns and thinks Madden is the best game ever. While the kid likes "Japanese" themed games that appeal to hardcore gamers who care about story and quality over being cool. Heck the game was inspired by Firefly. That show is probably the most popular cancelled show among people at video game message boards.

Now I know why people over the age of 18 bought games like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Mario, and any other artsy video game over the Internet instead of going to the store. Too many people looking way to into what individuals bought. You either got harassed by the employees or people on the Internet wrote stores about you thinking that you were gay.

I see what your saying now. Agreed.

habsheaven
01-11-2012, 04:55 PM
It's kind of like us for example. The majority of adults in the united states or world for that matter do not collect cards or go up to other men and ask them for their autographs. Some people might think that card collectors are strange for doing what we do.

We are, aren't we?

cavaliersfan30
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
which one of you is using a Purple controller?

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM

I still bet that he's not thinking anything about that. He's just picking out games and colors that he enjoys.

As for the game, I haven't played it but looked at the wiki page. It is hardly what I would call a "girl" game. I even saw a gun in a screen shot. gasp!!! :)

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
which one of you is using a Purple controller?

I went with silver for my extra PS3 controller. Clean, simple, modern.

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM

I read that she was implying that she thought he may be gay. Didn't say it, but she in a roundabout way makes you think this.

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
It's kind of like us for example. The majority of adults in the united states or world for that matter do not collect cards or go up to other men and ask them for their autographs. Some people might think that card collectors are stange for doing what we do.

you're all weirdos in my book!!!

pwaldo
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
The point is that he is what other kids would see as "different", even if he's not gay. And that at a tough age in his own life (15-16 year old), his older brother displayed a mature perspective.

His older brother wrestles high school boys in a singlet for fun according to that story. So I'd hope he wouldn't make fun of a kid because he played an albeit bad game instead of what sounds like a more fun in a zombie game. Also for people calling the dad dumb. I know people who would have KILLED to get their dad or parent to buy them anything as cool as a game that is banned in Germany due to "intense violence and gore" at age 10.

Star_Cards
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM

really? there were games that people didn't go to the store when they normally would but rather bought them online? interesting. I know that exists with items more sexual in nature, but never heard of it with video games. Although, this is coming from a 36 year old man who watches Teen Mom 2.

mrveggieman
01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Although, this is coming from a 36 year old man who watches Teen Mom 2.

Wow now I heard everything. :sign0020:

cavaliersfan30
01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
You probably watched Hannah Montana and ICarly too

pwaldo
01-11-2012, 07:35 PM
really? there were games that people didn't go to the store when they normally would but rather bought them online? interesting. I know that exists with items more sexual in nature, but never heard of it with video games. Although, this is coming from a 36 year old man who watches Teen Mom 2.

They either bought them online or pretended they were for their "son".

Also I'm shocked that people think that playing as a female lead in a game is "wrong" for a boy or viewed as you are gay. I was a N64 guy but all the boys in my school had Tomb Raider if they had a Playstation. That had a female lead character that was pretty popular in Laura Croft. They even made movies based on it.

I know I'd rather play a game with a sexy woman lead character rather than a fat Italian plumber or a blue hedgehog and I'm willing to bet most teenage boys would as well.

themanishere
01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Mirror's Edge sucked IMO, so...

Go with Fallout or Mass Effect.

mrveggieman
01-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Also I'm shocked that people think that playing as a female lead in a game is "wrong" for a boy or viewed as you are gay. I was a N64 guy but all the boys in my school had Tomb Raider if they had a Playstation. That had a female lead character that was pretty popular in Laura Croft. They even made movies based on it.

I know I'd rather play a game with a sexy woman lead character rather than a fat Italian plumber or a blue hedgehog and I'm willing to bet most teenage boys would as well.

Yeah I remember playing Virtual Fighter on PS2 and using Sarah and beating all the male fighters with it. It's kind of cool using a female character in games. Nothing wrong with it.

Star_Cards
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
wow now i heard everything. :sign0020:

i'm hooked!!!

Star_Cards
01-12-2012, 10:08 AM

great point on tomb raider. I bet the dad loved that game. :)

tutall
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Gary bought me and the group I was with a drink in Broad Ripple wen I was there for a bachelor party #FTW!

Star_Cards
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Gary bought me and the group I was with a drink in Broad Ripple wen I was there for a bachelor party #FTW!

nice. I was on last season they showed him out in broadripple. One of my friends who lives down there says he sees him there from time to time.