PDA

View Full Version : Does Divine Intervention Play a Role in Tebow's success?

andrewhoya
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/god-sports-does-tebow-prayer-against-brady-045803770.html

The majority of America thinks so.

The Broncos play the New England Patriots on Saturday (Jan. 14), and a new national poll finds that many Americans suspect that God has an interest in the outcome. According to a poll of 1,076 registered voters, weighted to be nationally representative, 43 percent of Americans who are aware of Tebow's success believe that divine intervention has played a role. Forty-two percent said it had not.

I don't.

rchurchward
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I say yes, definitely. Now, I'm not saying that God comes down on angel's wings and floats passes over defenders. That's just outlandish.

But the Bible is explicit when it states that God is a God that enjoys blessing those who uphold his name.

Tebow throwing a game winning touchdown is no less divine intervention than myself getting a teaching job after three years of patient, prayerful waiting. God has His hand in the lives of everyone. Some he chooses to bless, others he doesn't.

So yes, God definitely intervenes in the life of Tim Tebow just like he intervenes in the life of all who faithfully allow Him to guide their lives.

And to answer the whole "God has an interest in the outcome" sort of thing. The way it's phrased is unfair to Tebow. It's not saying that God has bet heavy amounts of money on the Broncos. As previously stated, God has a vested interest in the lives of those who faithfully follow him. God is just as interested in Tim Tebow's game as he is interested in me getting a teaching contract for next year. Tim Tebow is not a super-Christian by any means. He places himself above no one. But the way he lives his life for the glory of God allows him to be blessed in a way that others just don't understand.

ensbergcollector
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
i said no. i think tebow's faith gives him a level of composure and leadership that is uncommon in most people. The one intangible that people attribute to him is his leadership. I don't think God cares who wins football games but I do think Tebow's faith factors in.

rchurchward
01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
i said no. i think tebow's faith gives him a level of composure and leadership that is uncommon in most people. The one intangible that people attribute to him is his leadership. I don't think God cares who wins football games but I do think Tebow's faith factors in.
Even this is an unfair statement. Yes, you are correct that God doesn't care who wins football games. Keep in mind, God is not a God that NEEDS us. He doesn't need Tim Tebow to win a football game in order for the world to believe in Him. He is not dependent on whether or not we succeed in life. But to some he allows success based on the measure of their faith and understanding. So while God doesn't care who wins a football game just like He doesn't really care if a Christian realtor closes on a billion dollar house, He cares about the outcome of the lives of those who follow him.

BGT Masters
01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
God helps Tebow in the fact his belief in God helps him deal with pressure and problems. Does God himself take time out of his day and help Tim Tebow win a football game, no. Who's to say Tebow is more deserving to win the game then anyone else on the other team he's playing. You can thank God for giving you personal strength and security but thanking him for personally having a hand in you winning I never understood. I often found it sort of conceited that people would think that he would help one person and not someone else in sporting event. I am going to vote No even though the question could be answered yes because its the belief in God that helps Tebow and not God himself.

gatorboymike
01-14-2012, 03:56 PM
And you guys thought it was funny when I said people actually believed this.

First, there are in fact people out there who think God actually does care about the outcome of the game and is interfering in games to make sure Tebow wins. We've heard from them on this very forum.

Second, there are in fact people out there who are actually saying "Tim Tebow is winning football games, so that's why you should believe in my god." We've heard from them on this very forum.

Third, if Tebow actually is receiving help in the form of divine intervention, that's called CHEATING, and the Broncos should be disqualified.

Fourth, why isn't God helping every other Christian football player in the entire country?

Fifth, why isn't God punishing every non-Christian football player in the entire country?

Sixth, if Tebow is only receiving divine intervention in the sense of "oh, God helps us all be strong," that's a cop-out, it means nothing, and it could be a deliberate attempt to skew poll numbers.

Seventh, what are you smart guys going to say if the Broncos don't win the Super Bowl? "God was intervening on Tebow's behalf, but then he got bored"? Or maybe "Tebow didn't pray hard enough before the last game so God punished him." Gee, you've thought of everything, haven't you?

Eighth, I guess all that training and hard work and skill the guy has counts for absolutely nothing. Nope, nothing at all, not in any way, never has, never will, never could. If Tebow was some scrawny little nerd with no physical ability whatsoever, but just as faithful as he is now, he'd still be winning football games. Yeah, sure.

Ninth, if God really has a vested interest in Tebow, why hasn't Tebow won every single football game he's ever been in, from the pros to college to high school to middle school? Why hasn't he won a championship and been voted MVP at every level, every year, his entire career? Do God's magic powers cut out unexpectedly some of the time, like a shaky power grid?

Tenth, LOL.

rchurchward
01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Mike, I recall having some interesting conversations with you a few years back and I had started praying for you. Regretfully, I stopped. This is a good reminder for me to pick back up with it.

I respect your opinion that you have of Tebow and the Lord solely because you are entitled to your own opinion. I respectfully disagree with many of your points but due to the fact that I'm not interested in getting in any kind of religious argument with you again I will decline to comment on any of your statements.

PackersFan1208
01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
do you honestly think GOD CARES ABOUT FOOTBALL??? if you do then (CENSORED) i dont wanna get kicked off SCF for pointing out the obvious...get real people

acarter13
01-14-2012, 04:55 PM
I believe God is helping him to a certain degree. I think him being so religious gives him much more confidence and help him play to his true potential.

andrewhoya
01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow, total embarrassment. Just realized I posted an eBay auction link instead of the article.

habsheaven
01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
I say yes, definitely. Now, I'm not saying that God comes down on angel's wings and floats passes over defenders. That's just outlandish.

But the Bible is explicit when it states that God is a God that enjoys blessing those who uphold his name.

Tebow throwing a game winning touchdown is no less divine intervention than myself getting a teaching job after three years of patient, prayerful waiting. God has His hand in the lives of everyone. Some he chooses to bless, others he doesn't.

So yes, God definitely intervenes in the life of Tim Tebow just like he intervenes in the life of all who faithfully allow Him to guide their lives.

And to answer the whole "God has an interest in the outcome" sort of thing. The way it's phrased is unfair to Tebow. It's not saying that God has bet heavy amounts of money on the Broncos. As previously stated, God has a vested interest in the lives of those who faithfully follow him. God is just as interested in Tim Tebow's game as he is interested in me getting a teaching contract for next year. Tim Tebow is not a super-Christian by any means. He places himself above no one. But the way he lives his life for the glory of God allows him to be blessed in a way that others just don't understand.

As soon as I started reading your answer I thought you were going to go in a different direction. Something along the lines of Tebow's faith gives him the confidence in his abilities, or something to that effect. Then I keep reading and get the real reason: God blesses those who faithfully follow him THE MOST. Once again proving that this so called GOD is a miserable being, disregarding the devoted followers on the opposing teams because they are CLEARLY not as devoted as Tebow.

I am truly AMAZED at how some people's minds work.

rchurchward
01-14-2012, 08:47 PM
It's cool, we'll agree to disagree, I have no problems with that. I am also amazed at how people's minds work. The brain is quite an intriguing organ. Intriguing, uniquely and intelligently made.

And I'll admit it. Tebow has a lot more faith than I do, in speech and practice, yet I still follow the same God and have still been blessed beyond measure. It has nothing to do with following the most or following the best. I am much less out spoken about my faith because of course I am not in the lime light and don't have the ability to do so (I'm a public school teacher and that is frowned upon). But based on my circumstances and what I've been through in my life I would have no problem saying that I have been blessed equally as Tebow has been.

gatorboymike
01-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Mike, I recall having some interesting conversations with you a few years back and I had started praying for you. Regretfully, I stopped. This is a good reminder for me to pick back up with it.

Knock yourself out, Sunny Jim. I mean, all the praying you claim you once did for me was so effective, after all. I can't even begin to count how many Christians have said they would pray for me, and I haven't died a horrific death yet. You could wish ill upon me from now until Pat Robertson grows a conscience and it wouldn't do so much as give me a nosebleed.

I respect your opinion that you have of Tebow and the Lord solely because you are entitled to your own opinion. I respectfully disagree with many of your points but due to the fact that I'm not interested in getting in any kind of religious argument with you again I will decline to comment on any of your statements.

Oh, now that's no fun. What am I supposed to do with that? Tell you what, I'll take back everything I said when you convince "God" to show up in my living room wearing a Tim Tebow jersey.

habsheaven
01-14-2012, 11:08 PM
I think God just bailed on Tebow.

gatorboymike
01-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Gee, if Tebow loses since Tebow lost, does that prove there is no god, or does that prove God hates Tebow? We better tell God's right-hand man, Fred Phelps, to buy the domain name godhatestimtebow.com right away.

mrveggieman
01-17-2012, 09:24 AM

This is actually the closest to my views. I think that God helps Tebow not neccessarliry to win football games but in every aspect in life. His faith gives him a level of calmness that helps him on the football field but I really doubt that God is interefering in football games because of Tebow.

duane1969
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Gee, if Tebow loses since Tebow lost, does that prove there is no god, or does that prove God hates Tebow? We better tell God's right-hand man, Fred Phelps, to buy the domain name godhatestimtebow.com right away.

No, it proves that God doesn't care who wins a football game.

pghin08
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM

This. This 1000 times over. I'm not a religious dude, but I admire Tebow's faith and genuine desire to be a great role model. Read Rick Reilly's column this week and try not to love Tebow.

Star_Cards
01-17-2012, 11:17 AM

How does god decide who to intervene on the side of if there are multiple people of his faith on opposing teams? If he intervenes for Tebow then why doesn't Tebow win every week. Does god just pick and choose for who and when to intervene?

duane1969
01-17-2012, 11:32 AM
How does god decide who to intervene on the side of if there are multiple people of his faith on opposing teams? If he intervenes for Tebow then why doesn't Tebow win every week. Does god just pick and choose for who and when to intervene?

He who prays the most wins?? :confused0024:

gatorboymike
01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
He who prays the most wins?? :confused0024:

In that case, Tebow doesn't pray the most, which means God doesn't love him, which means you shouldn't love him either.

andrewhoya
01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
In that case, Tebow doesn't pray the most, which means God doesn't love him, which means you shouldn't love him either.

I know what I want to say... But I dont know how to type it...

But that is a weird 'comparison'.

gatorboymike
01-17-2012, 06:11 PM
I know what I want to say... But I dont know how to type it...

But that is a weird 'comparison'.

Duane was the one who said it. If the person who prays the most wins, Tebow can't possibly be the one who prays the most, because he didn't win.

andrewhoya
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Duane was the one who said it. If the person who prays the most wins, Tebow can't possibly be the one who prays the most, because he didn't win.

No, Duane did not say anywhere that God does not love Tebow, and neither should we.

gatorboymike
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
No, Duane did not say anywhere that God does not love Tebow, and neither should we.

That naturally follows from God not allowing Tebow to win.

andrewhoya
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Of course it does.

*censored*
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Kurt Warner, another devout Christian (albeit one who didn't go throwing it around everywhere every chance he had, thus actually following Matthew 6:6), didn't win every Super Bowl. So no.

BGT Masters
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
He would have if it wasn't for Jerome Harrison, and a nice block in the back which sprung him for the TD before the half ended. ;) Someone intervening perhaps? lol

gatorboymike
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Gee, it's almost like the team that wins is the team with more talent and skill, rather than the team with the most sleazy used God salesmen. Must be a co-inky-dink. Or mysterious ways, or insert lame and desperate apologetic excuse here.