PDA

View Full Version : 17 people shot in just an 18 hour span in New Orleans

pwaldo
01-15-2012, 03:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/18-hour-outbreak-violence-stuns-orleans-195412696.html;_ylt=AhlEov4Vrdq8g.FTt9DoVkRol88F;_ ylu=X3oDMTRvcWhtZnR0BGNjb2RlA2dtcHRvcDEwMDBwb29sd2 lraXVwcmVzdARtaXQDTmV3cyBmb3IgeW91BHBrZwNlOTk4ZDk4 MC03Yzk5LTNjZjktYTAyOS05YzUxMWI1MDc3MjQEcG9zAzIEc2 VjA25ld3NfZm9yX3lvdQR2ZXIDMDFiM2RkNzAtM2UzMS0xMWUx LWFmYmQtMzViMGE3MDA3YjRm;_ylg=X3oDMTM2Y2NiZzEwBGlu dGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDZGM2NmQyMjEtYzZlZi 0zZjZmLTliM2UtZTMwMmY4N2Q5N2U4BHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNl fGdyZWVuBHB0A3N0b3J5cGFnZQR0ZXN0Aw--;_ylv=3

Less than a week after New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu touted a string of peaceful and well-managed city events capped by the BCS championship game, he was back at the podium on Friday trying to reassure residents that an upsurge in violence was being dealt with.

"This is a battle for the heart and soul of New Orleans," Landrieu said about an 18-hour wave of violence that saw 17 people shot and six killed, a lockdown and evacuation of an elementary school, and shots fired at police twice.

In all, 12 people have been murdered New Orleans in the first 12 days of the year, and at least two dozen, including a 12-year-old girl, have been wounded in shootings.

The string of violence included a gunman opening fire inside a house on Thursday, shooting five people, three of whom died. Police chased down a trio of suspects, and returned fire, killing one man and wounding a man and a woman. Later that night, police headquarters was evacuated with a pair of hand grenades were found in the trunk of the car, although they were later found to be duds.

The force has beefed up its homicide department to 30 detectives, and is keeping officers in the city's so-called hotspots, Landrieu said. Response time has gone down lately, the mayor said.

Since Serpas became chief 18 months ago, the department has invested in new computer programs used to decide how police are deployed. That means the 1,300-man force is able to police the city neighborhoods and handle big events, Serpas said.

None of that reassures Janice Landry, a 58-year-old who has lived in New Orleans her life.

"The violence is more than murder," she said. "It's people robbing people, people breaking into houses, people carjacking people. And those things happen to you even if you aren't a criminal or living that kind of life."

Tom Hall, 73, said people in his uptown neighborhood go inside as soon as it gets dark now. He said they don't want to take a chance.

"It may be criminals killing each other," Hall said. "But non-criminals can get caught in the crossfire."

The latest outbreak follows a 14 percent jump in murders in 2011, with 199 during the year. Per capita, New Orleans murder rate was 10 times the national average in 2010, with 51 homicides per 100,000 residents here last year, compared with less than 7 per 100,000 in New York or 23 in similar-size Oakland, Calif.

"No one has ever denied that New Orleans is a violent town it is," Landrieu said.

While the police fight the violence on the street, the city is also using a long-range plan to fight its "culture of violence," Landrieu said.

Midnight basketball programs are getting underway, and a program called the Cease Fire program, is being set up in Central City to try to stem retaliatory killings there.

andrewhoya
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Wow, crazy.

theonedru
01-15-2012, 09:49 PM
We do not need more gun laws per say but we need way harsher penalties for those who's weapons find their way to a criminal element. Acts like this should not be happening.

mrveggieman
01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
we do not need more gun laws per say but we need way harsher penalties for those who's weapons find their way to a criminal element. Acts like this should not be happening.

+1

MadMan1978
01-17-2012, 09:11 AM
First we have those laws, left and right, on the books for violent crimes like these
second,
Second the judges do hand out the time for the crime...
Third, Yes as long as we have violence in this society these will continue.

duane1969
01-17-2012, 09:18 AM
The thing is that most of these shootings would not be prevented because they are most likely occuring with illegal firearms. Placing tight restrictions on gun ownership doesn't stop criminals from buying cheap stolen guns in a back alley.

At the same time, you can't just stop people and search them for guns in an effort to get illegal guns off of the streets.

Harsh sentences and the death penalty are a deterent to some but a simple look at the murder rate in states like Texas and Virginia, which account for a large percentage of death row executions, reveals that the death penalty isn't much of a deterent either.

There is no simple answer.

angel0430
01-17-2012, 10:16 AM
You can start by doing road blocks and inspecting random cars. This is a method that is not going to solve the issues but might get some drugs, guns and bad people off the street

duane1969
01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
You can start by doing road blocks and inspecting random cars. This is a method that is not going to solve the issues but might get some drugs, guns and bad people off the street

Ever hear of the 4th Amendment?

ensbergcollector
01-17-2012, 11:23 AM
i lived in orange tx during hurricane katrina. small town but we were the first stop for most of the evacuees of new orleans. A few thousand stayed permanently and we helped even more in the short run. At the time there was a lot of talk about the riots and stuff being shown on tv and a lot of people nationally were saying that it was a poor representation of new orleans.
overwhelmingly 90%+ that I spoke with said what you saw on tv was just how new orleans is. They all said, it will be blamed on the storm but that is new orleans. I hoped things would change after katrina but apparently not.

greg271126817
01-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Ever hear of the 4th Amendment?

+1:winking0071:

theonedru
01-17-2012, 02:34 PM
The thing is that most of these shootings would not be prevented because they are most likely occuring with illegal firearms. Placing tight restrictions on gun ownership doesn't stop criminals from buying cheap stolen guns in a back alley.

At the same time, you can't just stop people and search them for guns in an effort to get illegal guns off of the streets.

Harsh sentences and the death penalty are a deterent to some but a simple look at the murder rate in states like Texas and Virginia, which account for a large percentage of death row executions, reveals that the death penalty isn't much of a deterent either.

There is no simple answer.

What i was getting at is that at one time 99.999% of those illegal firearms were once legally owned and if you ar a gun owner whose weapons have ended up in the hands of someone doing a crime then you need to pay for not taking care of them.

duane1969
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
What i was getting at is that at one time 99.999% of those illegal firearms were once legally owned and if you ar a gun owner whose weapons have ended up in the hands of someone doing a crime then you need to pay for not taking care of them.

What constitutes "not taking care of them" though? I own a lot of firearms. If someone breaks into my home and steals them am I to blame? Is locking my guns in my home not a justifiable attempt to take care of them?

theonedru
01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
What constitutes "not taking care of them" though? I own a lot of firearms. If someone breaks into my home and steals them am I to blame? Is locking my guns in my home not a justifiable attempt to take care of them?

Having guns strewn about the house in a closet, on the wall, a drawer or a safe that is not secured to the premise are all poor ways of storing firearms, yet you would be surprised at the number of people that do these things. And if they had weapons go missing then yes, they should face a penalty for their neglect. Now a proper strongbox/ gun safe bolted securely to the dwelling with an alarm is an almost surefire way to thwart them for going astray as a person/s would need a great amount of time or effort to remove them from such.

Star_Cards
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
We do not need more gun laws per say but we need way harsher penalties for those who's weapons find their way to a criminal element. Acts like this should not be happening.

agreed. criminals don't follow laws so gun laws are useless on them. gun laws just restrict the people actually doing things legally when it comes to their fire arms.