PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft creating an "Avoid the Ghetto" app

pwaldo
01-20-2012, 09:25 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088667/Critics-say-Microsoft-Avoid-Ghetto-app-damage-economies-poor-communities.html

Want to avoid the ghetto? There's an app for that.

A Smartphone app to help people avoid unsafe neighborhoods has been accused of discrimination.

The application, which is being developed by Microsoft, has already been nicknamed the 'Avoid The Ghetto' app.

But critics fears the app could damage local economies and steer tourists away from historically significant neighbourhoods- just because they have a high crime rate.

Opponents fear the data-operated app could damage minority communities and hinder economic development in the areas most in need of it.

Dallas National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) President Juanita Wallace told CBS: 'Iím going to be up in arms about it if it happens.'

'Can you imagine me not being able to go to Martin Luther King Boulevard. because my GPS says thatís a dangerous crime area? I canít even imagine that,' she said.

'Itís almost like gerrymandering,'she said. 'Itís stereotyping for sure and without a doubt; I canít emphasize enough, itís discriminatory.'

The hi-tech app will reinforce stereotypes all over the US, she said.

'What happens in North Dallas certainly ought to be no different than what happens in South Dallas, so we canít keep on doing this,'she said.

'This type of technology is certainly going to pronounce and heighten it to some degree.'

Crime statistics will inform the app what parts of town are to be shunned, but Microsoft haven't indicated what the source of the data will be or how it will be interpreted.

tutall
01-21-2012, 11:38 AM
u imagine me not being able to go to Martin Luther King Boulevard. because my GPS says that’s a dangerous crime area? I can’t even imagine that,' she said.

Im sorry... I thought you still had control of your car regardless of what the gps said... This is ridiculous to criticize... There are people out there that want to avoid certain areas because of high crime rates. There are places in cities I go I just simply would prefer to avoid because of increased activities I dont want to have to deal with.

tsjct
01-21-2012, 11:52 AM
This is DISCRIMINATION at its worst. No way this should be happening. Large business will struggle and this is not right. Just another way to destroy the poor again. All the small business that employee so many people will be put at a disadvantage and this needs to stop. I can see large amounts of layoffs and i can see lawsuits coming. Stop the Ap now.

theonedru
01-21-2012, 02:08 PM
This is DISCRIMINATION at its worst. No way this should be happening. Large business will struggle and this is not right. Just another way to destroy the poor again. All the small business that employee so many people will be put at a disadvantage and this needs to stop. I can see large amounts of layoffs and i can see lawsuits coming. Stop the Ap now.

If people/business owners are that worried then they need to become proactive and clean up their neighborhoods help promote a healthier image of where they work/live

BGT Masters
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
If people/business owners are that worried then they need to become proactive and clean up their neighborhoods help promote a healthier image of where they work/live

Agreed. What he called discrimination I call it common sense. Anyone would want to avoid an area where they are more likely to be a victim of a crime.

duane1969
01-21-2012, 05:24 PM

Who is being discriminated against?

steelers#1fan
01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
People shouldn't have to walk on egg shells and should be able to speak their minds without the fear of being ridiculed. I normally wouldn't get involved with such discussions, but I feel I must say something on this subject. Saying this app is racist is ridiculous! Here are a couple scenarios submitted for your approval.

1) A white person is walking down a street in a black neighborhood at night and gets the tar beat out of him/her. The cops will tell you that you were out of your element and should not have been there. This isn't considered racist.

2) A black person is walking down a street in a white neighborhood at night and gets the tar beat out of him/her. Special interest groups are called and this incident is considered racist.

A guy that I used to be friends with was walking down a city street after his car broke down. He was at a sporting event and got lost and ended up in a black neighborhood at night. See scenario #1

That's the problem with our society. We cater to the minority and not the majority!

If there was an app that would keep me from going into a bad neighborhood I'm all for it! And please, for these people that say this is racist, would you really want to be in the same predicament my buddy was in!?

BGT Masters
01-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I could be in a black neighborhood, white, asian, hispanic, that doesn't bother me. Its the crime areas I'd want to avoid. I can hang out with minorities just fine. ;)

MattDMC
01-22-2012, 09:34 AM
I honestly don't see why this is even an issue.

If you don't like the idea of it don't download the app its that simple.
Nobody is forcing anyone to download and use it. If you don't like it don't download it and keep your mouth shut if you do like it download and use it.

What I really don't understand is the people calling this discrimination or racism. The app was created to avoid areas of bad crime not avoid cities of a certain race. If the city of crime being avoided is majority one race guess what the app doesn't give a crap about the race its only being avoided because of the crime. The GPS isn't going to say "black man ahead 50ft...RECALCULATING". The areas are being avoided because of crime not the race of the people.

gladdyontherise
01-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Am I the only one who can tell you are being sarcastic?

gatorboymike
01-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh, Microsoft. Don't you know that once somebody plays the race card, the hand is over?

tsjct
01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who can tell you are being sarcastic?

I think so:party0053:

duane1969
01-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I got it. Was just playing along. It is clear that the illegal Europeans are being targeted by the racist app.

AUTaxMan
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
fantastic idea. wish i'd thought of it.

PackersFan1208
01-22-2012, 02:41 PM
It discriminates criminally active areas? lol oh....my....god!! we dont want the crims to feel like we are treating them different:nono:

Star_Cards
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't see this as discrimination if the app is being created by crime rates only. Crime rates don't take into account race. I can definitely see where the app could potentially cause some local businesses if they happen to be in a high crime area, but most businesses in higher crime areas probably don't to as well as the ones that aren't. It's not that difficult to know where the higher crime rated areas are in a city. You can usually tell by the surroundings for the most part... at least in the city I live in and cities I've traveled to.

I am curious what type of crime they will be using to rate the areas? Is it just overall crime or violent crime or what? I'd say that if they do release this they have a very big responsibility to get it right.

As for the fact that they've nicknamed this "avoiding the ghetto" that's just a complete PR fail.

mrveggieman
01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
People shouldn't have to walk on egg shells and should be able to speak their minds without the fear of being ridiculed. I normally wouldn't get involved with such discussions, but I feel I must say something on this subject. Saying this app is racist is ridiculous! Here are a couple scenarios submitted for your approval.

1) A white person is walking down a street in a black neighborhood at night and gets the tar beat out of him/her. The cops will tell you that you were out of your element and should not have been there. This isn't considered racist.

2) A black person is walking down a street in a white neighborhood at night and gets the tar beat out of him/her. Special interest groups are called and this incident is considered racist.

A guy that I used to be friends with was walking down a city street after his car broke down. He was at a sporting event and got lost and ended up in a black neighborhood at night. See scenario #1

That's the problem with our society. We cater to the minority and not the majority!

If there was an app that would keep me from going into a bad neighborhood I'm all for it! And please, for these people that say this is racist, would you really want to be in the same predicament my buddy was in!?

I get where you are coming from but what about the black person in a white neighboorhood walking or driving down the street minding his business and gets the crap beaten out of him by the police? What would you call that? Also I think there should be an avoid the police app.

Star_Cards
01-23-2012, 09:48 AM
I'd like to add there are plenty of "bad" neighborhoods in my area that are "white" neighborhoods.

duane1969
01-23-2012, 10:48 AM
I get where you are coming from but what about the black person in a white neighboorhood walking or driving down the street minding his business and gets the crap beaten out of him by the police? What would you call that? Also I think there should be an avoid the police app.

If I am not mistaken, there was a police scanner app along that lines and they fought it.

duane1969
01-23-2012, 10:52 AM
I'd like to add there are plenty of "bad" neighborhoods in my area that are "white" neighborhoods.

Thats the point. This app is not targeting racial neighborhoods. It identifies high crime areas, not black or hispanic areas.

IMHO anyone who calls this a racist app is essentially saying that only black and hispanic areas are high crime areas. The creators of the app made no such statement. It is the NAACP that is saying this is a racist app so the way I see it it is the NAACP that is saying that black neighborhoods are high crime areas.

ensbergcollector
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM

smh...because this happens all the time...:scared0012:

AUTaxMan
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Thats the point. This app is not targeting racial neighborhoods. It identifies high crime areas, not black or hispanic areas.

IMHO anyone who calls this a racist app is essentially saying that only black and hispanic areas are high crime areas. The creators of the app made no such statement. It is the NAACP that is saying this is a racist app so the way I see it it is the NAACP that is saying that black neighborhoods are high crime areas.

Exactly. I would be willing to admit that the app is racist if the NAACP is willing to admit that all high crime areas are mostly black.

Star_Cards
01-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Thats how I feel. If they say high crime areas and automatically think black neighborhoods, they should take a look at that irony.

palmdesertcards
01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
great idea. i wouldnt use it as i know not to exit into compton watts but could be helpful for others.