PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore elementary school to kids: Wear purple or sit in the library

pwaldo
01-21-2012, 05:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/baltimore-elementary-school-kids-wear-purple-sit-library-180953556.html

The Baltimore Ravens have a "Purple Fridays" caravan that motors around the city hosting pep rallies for their precious purple Ravens. They've done it all year and it continues into the playoffs.

One stop Friday was at Roland Park Elementary where the kids were happy to hang out with Poe and Rise & Conquer, partially because they love the Ravens and partially because they weren't locked in the library.

In advance of the pep rally, a teacher wrote an email to parents indicating that any kid who didn't wear Ravens gear wouldn't be allowed to attend the pep rally but would be stuck in the library instead. From the Baltimore Sun:

"Students must wear purple or Ravens attire to attend, as there will be many TV cameras there," one teacher wrote to parents in an email obtained by The Baltimore Sun. "Not wearing purple or Ravens attire means making a choice not to attend."

Another teacher emailed that "students must wear purple in order to attend. If your child does not wear purple or you do not wish them to attend, I believe staff will supervise the students in the library."

duane1969
01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
So only kids who are Ravens fans are allowed to attend? Nice.

Nice to know that the school approves making kids feel left out and alienated if they don't cheer for the right team.

BGT Masters
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
You know some parent is going to send their kid to school in a Tom Brady Jersey. ;) Forcing kids that don't wear purple to miss the pep rally is a bit much. I'd have nothing wrong with them requesting it, but making in mandatory goes a tad too far.

Rybowski
01-21-2012, 05:38 PM
This is ridiculous and I hope that some parents sent their kids to school with another team colors on that day. I like at the end that the teacher says that she believes that staff will supervise the kids in the library. Who knows, maybe the kids were left in there by themselves.

duane1969
01-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Wish I was in that district. My son would have worn his BigBen jersey.

gladdyontherise
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Assuming I wasn't a Ravens fan (and if I was I would've been waring Ravens colors regardless if a school said to or not) I know i'd be one of those kids who wears Patriots colors just in spite. I'd probably be one of those kids who refuses to sit in the Library as well.

Greengoblin782
01-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Same story I read. If they went through with it that would suck for the rest of the kids.

MattDMC
01-22-2012, 09:40 AM
I really hope somebody had the balls to buy and send their kid to school in a Brady jersey that day.

tsjct
01-22-2012, 11:23 AM
I would have sent my little boy dressed as a cheerleader and said he was feeling like a girl that day. Just saying.

duane1969
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Assuming I wasn't a Ravens fan (and if I was I would've been waring Ravens colors regardless if a school said to or not) I know i'd be one of those kids who wears Patriots colors just in spite. I'd probably be one of those kids who refuses to sit in the Library as well.

And if I was your parent I would buy you a lot more jerseys with the settlement we got for making you sit in the library and feel excluded. :smokin:

I would have sent my little boy dressed as a cheerleader and said he was feeling like a girl that day. Just saying.

+1 ROFL

gladdyontherise
01-22-2012, 12:43 PM
And if I was your parent I would buy you a lot more jerseys with the settlement we got for making you sit in the library and feel excluded. :smokin:

:party0053:

MattDMC
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM

I nominate this for post of the month.

Well played Sir, well played.

Star_Cards
01-23-2012, 09:36 AM
The fact that someone even thought about making kids wear purple or exclude them is absolutely ridiculous. I don't get how it matters. Although I'm a guy that rarely wears his favorite teams colors when I attend games.

mrveggieman
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
George Carlin made a statment to the effect of that we already do enough damage having school kids think alike, now we want them to dress alike. This isnt a new idea. I watched on old film of school children all dressing alike but he had a hard time understanding it because the narration was in german.

pghin08
01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Lot of good it did the Ravens yesterday!

duane1969
01-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Lot of good it did the Ravens yesterday!

Perhaps they should have worn Brady and Gronk jerseys :cheer2: