PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum on religious equality

mrveggieman
01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Would somebody please tell this guy to sit down and shut up!!

http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/2012/01/23/santorum-equality-doesnt-come-from-islam-but-from-god-of-abraham-isaac-jacob/

habsheaven
01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Just more rhetoric to appeal to the Republican base. It goes with the territory. As long as the people he is talking to believe it, there is no need for him to worry about accuracy.

gatorboymike
01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
"Christians, Jews and Muslims all worship the same God and share religious traditions that promote justice and equality," Hooper said.

That part of the article is true. However, many self-professed adherents of the Abrahamic god seem to be unaware of this, or insist that their version of this god is superior to the other versions of it.

"I get a kick out of folks who call for equality now, the people on the left, 'Well, equality, we want equality.' Where do you think this concept of equality comes from?" Santorum said during a South Carolina campaign stop Friday, ABC News reported. "It doesn't come from Islam. It doesn't come from the East and Eastern religions, where does it come from? It comes from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, that’s where it comes from."

Wrong-ola. Political equality is an idea America's founding fathers made up. They might have attributed it to a god, but they made it up themselves. There is no such concept to be found anywhere in the Bible. And I haven't read the Quran, but I'd bet my entire card collection that it's not in there either. In fact, political equality and the concept of rights are completely at odds with the Bible. It says that God has all the power and we have none. God is the master and we are the slaves. God is perfectly good and we are perfectly evil. And the only "right" we have is the right to kiss up to him forever. So, Santorum might be right that equality doesn't come from Islam, but it doesn't come from his religion either.

"So don't claim his rights, don’t claim equality as that gift from God and then go around and say, 'Well, we don’t have to pay attention to what God wants us to do. We don’t have to pay attention to God's moral laws.' If your rights come from God, then you have an obligation to live responsibly in conforming with God's laws, and our founders said so, right?" Santorum asked.

Our supposed rights and our supposed equality come from the government, not from any god. Of course, go up to the government and try to exercise them and you'll see just how much it actually grants you them. And they'll probably be invoking the name of the same god Santorum is talking about, the god who supposedly gave you your rights, as the government takes your rights away.

Nice false association, though. "The government grants you rights, so that means you have to obey my religion." Sorry Rick, we don't have to obey your religion. Your religion did not give us our rights or anything else, it only takes. It takes as much as it's allowed to get away with taking. So we have no obligation to follow it whatsoever. But I bet you'd fight like a starving hyena on crack to change that if you got elected, wouldn't you? In fact, I bet he'd do his best to incorporate total power into Christianity the same way total power is incorporated into Islam in much of the Middle East. How's that for irony?

Also, I love it the way crypto-fascist Christian conservatives think the founding fathers were just like them. Bill Maher had a great routine about that.

tsjct
01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
My thoughts are this. Most liberals and left wingers are Atheist and Most Republicans Conservatives are Christians. That is just what i see in a daily basis here in Texas. The media is more Anti Christian than i have ever seen before. What has this world come to?

habsheaven
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
My thoughts are this. Most liberals and left wingers are Atheist and Most Republicans Conservatives are Christians. That is just what i see in a daily basis here in Texas. The media is more Anti Christian than i have ever seen before. What has this world come to?

Sounds like the world is coming to it's senses.

pghin08

Totally disagree. If most liberals/leftists were atheists, there would never be enough of them to win any election ever. I'm a liberal and not an atheist, and I know plenty of other liberals who aren't atheists either.

tsjct
Sounds like the world is coming to it's senses.

Just depends on your beliefs. I know where i am going and that is all i need to know.

tsjct
01-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Totally disagree. If most liberals/leftists were atheists, there would never be enough of them to win any election ever. I'm a liberal and not an atheist, and I know plenty of other liberals who aren't atheists either.

Well i am saying from what i see here and on the Liberal Left wing news channels that are against every thing to do with GOD. I mean all the media did was try and tear down Tebow. If he was worshiping anything but his christian beliefs he would have been a hero in their eyes.

pghin08
01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Well i am saying from what i see here and on the Liberal Left wing news channels that are against every thing to do with GOD. I mean all the media did was try and tear down Tebow. If he was worshiping anything but his christian beliefs he would have been a hero in their eyes.

I never really saw the media as a whole trying to tear down Tebow. It was just a bunch of talking heads screaming about:

A. He'll never be an NFL QB because of his mechanics
B. Tim Tebow is a Christian
C. Tim Tebow just wins.

I never really heard anyone chastise him for being a Christian. A few people may have grumbled about his openness about it, like he was trying to force it down people's throats (which he wasn't/isn't).

gatorboymike
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM

An absence of right-wing propaganda, in and of itself, does not count as left-wing propaganda. "The news doesn't worship The Almighty Tebow as much as I do, so that means all liberals are atheists and they rule the world! Run for the hills and arm yourselves to the teeth! Aaaaaahhhhh!"

BGT Masters
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Gatormike: This song came on as I was reading this and I thought you might enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJwO664WLI

gatorboymike
01-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Lol.

tsjct
01-23-2012, 07:08 PM
An absence of right-wing propaganda, in and of itself, does not count as left-wing propaganda. "The news doesn't worship The Almighty Tebow as much as I do, so that means all liberals are atheists and they rule the world! Run for the hills and arm yourselves to the teeth! Aaaaaahhhhh!"

Oh do not worry i am very prepared as i buy more and more guns and ammo each month. I am very prepared.

habsheaven
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh do not worry i am very prepared as i buy more and more guns and ammo each month. I am very prepared.

LOL, I just watched Bowling for Columbine. It so reminded me of the characters on this board. LOL

gatorboymike
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM

I fear for your family's and neighbors' safety.

ensbergcollector
01-24-2012, 12:26 AM
LOL, I just watched Bowling for Columbine. It so reminded me of the characters on this board. LOL

the fact that you willingly watch anything by michael moore says tons. I say that about anyone who makes money by creating an entire movie out of slicing videos until you can take everything out of context and make it say what you want it to.

tsjct
01-24-2012, 02:09 AM
I fear for your family's and neighbors' safety.

do not fear for them as they will be safe! I am stocking up and prepared. GOLD, SILVER, GUNS, AMMO, and GOD are with me. I love my Country but i fear my Government.

tsjct
01-24-2012, 02:14 AM

I would love to respond in the way i would like to but i am sure i would get banned. But i know since your a big CEO or whatever you are you can get away with comparisons like that. Your comparison is PATHETIC.

tsjct
01-24-2012, 02:16 AM
the fact that you willingly watch anything by michael moore says tons. I say that about anyone who makes money by creating an entire movie out of slicing videos until you can take everything out of context and make it say what you want it to.

Everything he says reminds me of people just like Michael Moore. He is REALLY REALLY left. But that goes hand in hand with where he lives also.

gatorboymike
01-24-2012, 03:17 AM
do not fear for them as they will be safe! I am stocking up and prepared. GOLD, SILVER, GUNS, AMMO, and GOD are with me. I love my Country but i fear my Government.

Uh huh...and how does GOD like being cooped up in your underground bomb shelter in the Bent Armpit Mountains? You ever let him out to answer a few prayers, or do you keep the shotgun on him at all times? Now we know why the Broncos lost...

And why are you spending money on sports cards when you could be buying expired Army rations, armor-piercing bullets and land mines? Surely Obama will be dropping by your home--er, shed--to personally confiscate your guns soon. In fact, he could be hiding in your closet or under your bed at this very minute! Won't you be kicking yourself then, getting that last box of cards when the 10,351st and 10,352nd guns would have made the difference!

And I bet you'll stop fearing your government the instant the next Republican takes the oath of office, won't you?

tsjct
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Uh huh...and how does GOD like being cooped up in your underground bomb shelter in the Bent Armpit Mountains? You ever let him out to answer a few prayers, or do you keep the shotgun on him at all times? Now we know why the Broncos lost...

And why are you spending money on sports cards when you could be buying expired Army rations, armor-piercing bullets and land mines? Surely Obama will be dropping by your home--er, shed--to personally confiscate your guns soon. In fact, he could be hiding in your closet or under your bed at this very minute! Won't you be kicking yourself then, getting that last box of cards when the 10,351st and 10,352nd guns would have made the difference!

And I bet you'll stop fearing your government the instant the next Republican takes the oath of office, won't you?

The only thing that made sense in your rant was "i bet you will no longer fear your gov't when a republican takes office". YOUR CORRECT. Republicans are for freedom and individual rights while the LIBERAL LEFT are for taking that away.

pghin08
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
The only thing that made sense in your rant was "i bet you will no longer fear your gov't when a republican takes office". YOUR CORRECT. Republicans are for freedom and individual rights while the LIBERAL LEFT are for taking that away.

So you're less free and have less guns than in 2008?

mrveggieman
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Ok I get it you are only concerned with YOUR personal freedoms such as the right to bear arms (which btw I have no problem with anyone arming themselves for self defense) or your freedom to be a christian but you couldn't care less if someone has the right not to be a christian or god forbid be a muslim. Typical republicans.

habsheaven
01-24-2012, 10:54 AM

The fact that you judge someone, before they make a single comment on what they watched, tells me all I need to know about you. It's good to see you taking your religious teachings seriously.

FWIW, I agree with YOUR interpretation of the "movie". It is very "over the top" and serves no real purpose for someone viewing it to gain knowledge. For me, I watched it because I had never actually seen it and I just got Netflix. Seeing as I have a brain, I figured watching it was a rational thing to do. I even watch that other idiot, Glenn Beck, from time to time who employs the same tactics only from a different point of view.

habsheaven
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I would love to respond in the way i would like to but i am sure i would get banned. But i know since your a big CEO or whatever you are you can get away with comparisons like that. Your comparison is PATHETIC.

Not sure when I became a "big CEO" but I hope it pays well. I never made any comparisons. I only pointed out that there were many "characters" in that movie that share your same ideaology. Keep trying though. It is entertaining.

Star_Cards
01-24-2012, 12:33 PM

I have a lot of liberal friends and not many are atheists. I'm probably the only one that classifies himself as such. I have plenty of liberal friends that go to church regularly. I also have some right winged friends who don't go to church, but believe in god.

my thoughts on the article is simply this... Equality is way past the realm of any religion. Using "equality" to try to bolster his religion is immaterial to me and makes him look ignorant. Does he really thing that all eastern religions don't have some sort of text speaking about equality? We can discuss the texts with him santorums religion that don't promote equality as well.

Star_Cards
01-24-2012, 12:35 PM

agreed. most liberal politicians attend church and talk about god and their belief in him. There really aren't that many of us atheists out there.

Star_Cards
01-24-2012, 12:37 PM

from the stuff I heard, the media loved Tebow. that's all they wanted to discuss when he was playing. More people I heard tear him down was because of his passing form/abilities.

mrveggieman
01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
from the stuff I heard, the media loved Tebow. that's all they wanted to discuss when he was playing. More people I heard tear him down was because of his passing form/abilities.

Agreed. Sports is the great eqalizer as far as religion, race and politics are concerned. Tebow could worship a dead cow and would still have the same critizisms about his mechanics.

Star_Cards
01-24-2012, 12:52 PM

I find that statement a tad short sighted, in my opinion of course.

republicans for individual rights? that's classic!!! Who's usually trying to keep gay's from being allowed to marry or trying to keep mosques from being built on land owned by the builders?

ensbergcollector
01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
The fact that you judge someone, before they make a single comment on what they watched, tells me all I need to know about you. It's good to see you taking your religious teachings seriously.

FWIW, I agree with YOUR interpretation of the "movie". It is very "over the top" and serves no real purpose for someone viewing it to gain knowledge. For me, I watched it because I had never actually seen it and I just got Netflix. Seeing as I have a brain, I figured watching it was a rational thing to do. I even watch that other idiot, Glenn Beck, from time to time who employs the same tactics only from a different point of view.

i did not say i judged you, i said your movie choice says something about you. so if I came in here and said I read racist books and watched racists movies you wouldn't adjust your view of me in the least? and please, stop with the throwing my religion back at me. I am not judging your salvation. last i checked, the bible doesn't tell me i'm not allowed to have an opinion of someone.

for what it's worth, i have the same opinion of anyone who films movies that way regardless of what side of the fence they are on.

i apologize for not asking the situation that led you to watching the movie. Netflix can definitely lead to watching things because they are there. I shouldn't make made an assumption about you just because you said you watched it.

habsheaven
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
i did not say i judged you, i said your movie choice says something about you. so if I came in here and said I read racist books and watched racists movies you wouldn't adjust your view of me in the least? and please, stop with the throwing my religion back at me. I am not judging your salvation. last i checked, the bible doesn't tell me i'm not allowed to have an opinion of someone.

for what it's worth, i have the same opinion of anyone who films movies that way regardless of what side of the fence they are on.

i apologize for not asking the situation that led you to watching the movie. Netflix can definitely lead to watching things because they are there. I shouldn't make made an assumption about you just because you said you watched it.

Two questions for you then. First, what does religion DEFINE as judging? To a layperson like me it sure seemed like I was being judged. Second question; just what does it say about me? I'm curious.

TheGrapher
01-24-2012, 07:44 PM

The last time I checked both Democrats AND Republicans, a large sum of Republicans, voted for NDAA. A Republican was President and Republicans had Congress when the Patriot Act was passed. SOPA was introduced by a REPUBLICAN!!!

It's the REPUBLICANS who want to make a constitutional amendment against same sex marriage.

You honestly think they are for freedom and for individual rights? The only thing they care about is you showing up at the polls checkmarking their name.

gatorboymike
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM

http://i26.tinypic.com/2wqd1g1.jpg

Just when I thought I'd heard the craziest thing that was capable of being said. I think I just felt the universe itself groan with embarrassment.