PDA

View Full Version : President Obama: Require kids to say in HS until they are 18 or graduate

mrveggieman
01-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Your thoughts:

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2012/01/24/president-obama-require-teens-stay-in-school-until-they-are-18/

duane1969
01-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Doesn't fix the problem. I don't blame Obama, most politicians have no idea that just forcing a kid to stay in school does not mean they will learn or wlll graduate.

I teach Alternative Education for a high school so I get the "pleasure" of having the students that refuse to work and don't care if they graduate. Forcing them to stay in school longer will not change that. In fact, it hurts the other students who actually want to learn and graduate because they have to deal with the distraction of a kid in class that doesn't want to be there and refuses to do work.

It also makes the teacher's job harder. Instead of teaching they often end up losing valuable class time to deal with the one or two students who refuse to work. In a class that last just 30 or 40 minutes, taking 10 minutes to deal with a student who refuses to work kills the entire learning experience for the entire classroom.

mrveggieman
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
When I was in high school I had a history teacher who's idea was to give everyone who graduates $100k to do as the please. They can go to college, buy a house, a car, go on a vacation anything they can think of. What is the catch? You cannot ever go on welfare anytime in your life and if you blow the money you are out of luck. He said that it would be cheaper than welfare in the long run. I'm not sure about the numbers but mabey there should be some type of financial incentives to keep kids in school and have them keep their grades up.

duane1969
01-25-2012, 09:29 AM
There is a financial incentive. College scholarships and a good paying job after college.

habsheaven
01-25-2012, 09:36 AM
When I heard Obama make that statement I immediately thought, "sounds good, but is it really?" I think Duane's comments express the reality of the situation well.

AUTaxMan
01-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Sounds good but doesn't really do anything. If you want to solve the societal problem, you need to ween people off of the government teet. If they are physically capable, make them attend a trade school or work in order to receive government benefits.

mrveggieman
01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
sounds good but doesn't really do anything. If you want to solve the societal problem, you need to ween people off of the government teet. If they are physically capable, make them attend a trade school or work in order to receive government benefits.

+1

Star_Cards
01-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't think forcing kids to stay in school until they are 18 would do much. Like said above, you can't make them learn. Is the high school drop out rate really that high? At my high school we had some kids drop out but it was fairly rare.

gladdyontherise
01-25-2012, 12:38 PM
There is a financial incentive. College scholarships and a good paying job after college.

Bolded part is no longer true. It's more having a bunch of student loans that you can't afford because most aren't hiring thus your degree is essentially useless at that point.

Like a few have said, it's good in theory, but in no way would it work or really be rational. Kid's aren't gonna show up if they don't want to and if they must show up, they won't do any work ever so they'll just be a pain.

Star_Cards
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I think we will see a shift from four year universities to the more focused higher learning institutions that teach people specific skills and who's curriculum are more directed at learning that specific skill to get a job. At some point some colleges will be too expensive to justify the cost if there is increased risk of not finding employment once you graduate.

duane1969
01-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Bolded part is no longer true. It's more having a bunch of student loans that you can't afford because most aren't hiring thus your degree is essentially useless at that point.

Like a few have said, it's good in theory, but in no way would it work or really be rational. Kid's aren't gonna show up if they don't want to and if they must show up, they won't do any work ever so they'll just be a pain.

If you have good grades and apply for scholarships you will get them. My son graduated this spring with academic scholarship offers from 3 different colleges.