PDA

View Full Version : Obama's First Term Accomplishments

mikesilvia
01-25-2012, 05:33 PM
I saw this today on Facebook and thought that it was a good list. Tough to argue with some of the positives that Obama has done.

MY PRESIDENT:

1. Got Osama bin laden...check
2. unemployment rate down to 8.5%...check
3. 1.6 million jobs created with no GOP help...check
... 4. 22 months of job and economic growth...check
5. Ended war in Iraq ...check
6. DADT repeal...check
7. Not one tax hike in 3 years....check
8. Same wife for 15 years with no extra marital affairs...check
9. Saved the auto industry which got GM back to the #1 automaker in the world and created 1.5 million jobs...check
10. Assisted in ousting Ghaddafi...check
11. Only active President to receive Nobel Peace prize while in office...check
12. Mortgage modification to prevent home owners from losing their home... Check!
13. STILL fighting for middle class families...check
13. 1st president since Roosevelt (GOP) to reform healthcare....check
14. Reformed financial system, first time since FDR...check

mrveggieman
01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
I saw this today on Facebook and thought that it was a good list. Tough to argue with some of the positives that Obama has done.

MY PRESIDENT:

6. DADT repeal...check
9. Saved the auto industry which got GM back to the #1 automaker in the world and created 1.5 million jobs...check
12. Mortgage modification to prevent home owners from losing their home... Check!

CHURCH!! :love0030:

tsjct
01-25-2012, 05:43 PM

MY PRESIDENT:

6. DADT repeal...check

Spent more money in his first term than all other presidents combined. Check it.

pghin08
01-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Spent more money in his first term than all other presidents combined. Check it.

You don't think that would've happened under McCain? The costs were either bailouts/stimulus, or related to healthcare costs, which are rising drastically because the first wave of boomers are retiring/reaching SS and medicare. Would would McCain have done differently?

INTIMADATOR2007
01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Nothing on the lists shows any reason why he should be re-elected . If this is what he has to run on it will be a worst blow out than i thought . He has no chance for re-election.

andrewhoya
01-25-2012, 09:10 PM

MY PRESIDENT:

6. DADT repeal...check

Last I checked, he wasn't the one who got Osama.. But I have to give him credit for a few things.... Number 6.. Somewhat 12... to an extent 5..

habsheaven
01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Nothing on the lists shows any reason why he should be re-elected . If this is what he has to run on it will be a worst blow out than i thought . He has no chance for re-election.

Of course it doesn't. I gotta feeling you are going to be a hard man to find on here the day after the election. :party0053:

PackersFan1208
01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
didnt he spend 6.4 trillion in his term which is more then ALL other presidents combined over 220 years? HOW is that good?

habsheaven
01-25-2012, 09:33 PM
didnt he spend 6.4 trillion in his term which is more then ALL other presidents combined over 220 years? HOW is that good?

Do I have to point out that there is a large percentage of the population that has earned more salary than all the other Presidents combined? Or, where the country was headed before he took office?

Your statement sounds good, but when you break it down it means nothing.

tsjct
01-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Do I have to point out that there is a large percentage of the population that has earned more salary than all the other Presidents combined? Or, where the country was headed before he took office?

Your statement sounds good, but when you break it down it means nothing.

Oh here we go again! He was doomed to fail. He had the House/Senate for 2 YRS with full democratic control and he did NOTHING. Who can he blame that on?

tsjct
01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
And Bush got 911 only 6mths into his presidency. I could blame that on Clinton for not taking OSBL when he had the chance. We can find anyone to blame anything on. He needs to man up and just say "I SUCK AT BEING A PRESIDENT".

habsheaven
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh here we go again! He was doomed to fail. He had the House/Senate for 2 YRS with full democratic control and he did NOTHING. Who can he blame that on?

Did you have a hard time in school with reading comprehension? Who said, or even implied he was doomed to fail?

Were you in a coma from 2008-2010? Last time I checked he passed a Health Care Reform bill during those two years. He also kept the country out of a DEPRESSION.

Let me guess, you would have let the banks and auto industry fail.

habsheaven
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
And Bush got 911 only 6mths into his presidency. I could blame that on Clinton for not taking OSBL when he had the chance. We can find anyone to blame anything on. He needs to man up and just say "I SUCK AT BEING A PRESIDENT".

I never blamed Bush for anything. I merely stated the condition of the country(economy) when he took office. You cannot talk about the money spent without talking about the reality of the situation.

INTIMADATOR2007
01-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Of course it doesn't. I gotta feeling you are going to be a hard man to find on here the day after the election. :party0053:

Oh no, I'll be here celebrating with the rest of the country ..:party0053:

pghin08
01-25-2012, 11:37 PM

You do realize that the usually conservative Rassmussen poll still has Obama beating both Gingrich and Romney, right?

tsjct
01-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Did you have a hard time in school with reading comprehension? Who said, or even implied he was doomed to fail?

Were you in a coma from 2008-2010? Last time I checked he passed a Health Care Reform bill during those two years. He also kept the country out of a DEPRESSION.

Let me guess, you would have let the banks and auto industry fail.

No hard time in school, and no not in a coma. The health care bill will be overturned as we all know what a pile of crap the Social health care in Canada is. You could die in line waiting to get help up there. Guess that is working out great for ya:rolleyes:. I am 41 yrs old and my grandkids will still be paying for this incompetent person in office. If you think he cares for the middle class like he says your in a COMA. He just wants votes and more power. AND yes i would have let the banks fail and the auto industry fail. You have to learn by your mistakes and not be held by the hand every time you fall down. I did not make the choices they did and now i am having to pay for it with my tax dollars.

tsjct
01-26-2012, 01:54 AM
I never blamed Bush for anything. I merely stated the condition of the country(economy) when he took office. You cannot talk about the money spent without talking about the reality of the situation.

He has SPENT more money in his first 3 years in office than EVERY SINGLE President COMBINED. You can not honestly say this person has not spent us into a complete disaster. You talk about the Auto Industry and Banking industry how about all the GREEN energy that was a major FAIL. The only good thing is the more he spends the more my gold and silver go up.

kidman232
01-26-2012, 02:05 AM

i think obama wins easily for a 2nd term. the candidates the republican party are sending up are just that bad. once they get done fighting with each other some much personal crap will be exposed, it will just continue to tarnish them leading up the election.

romney or newt will end up getting the nod, even though i favor paul.

newt left as speaker of the house with something like a 14% approval rating. He left his first wife right after she was diagnosed with cancer. had a multi year affair. left his second wife shortly after she was diagnoised with ms.

romney- i dont think he has enough experience in politics and is so wealthy, that many people just think hes out of touch with about everyone. Also known to flip flop on issues.

obama- will carry the minority vote easily again to a fault. He is well spoken and comes off as a common every day type of guy. I think obama will win by 5+ % points. I wont be voting for him, but id be shocked if he lost.

in case you were wondering on vegas betting odds to win

obama -170

republican nominee +140

indep +2000

habsheaven
01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
No hard time in school, and no not in a coma. The health care bill will be overturned as we all know what a pile of crap the Social health care in Canada is. You could die in line waiting to get help up there. Guess that is working out great for ya:rolleyes:. I am 41 yrs old and my grandkids will still be paying for this incompetent person in office. If you think he cares for the middle class like he says your in a COMA. He just wants votes and more power. AND yes i would have let the banks fail and the auto industry fail. You have to learn by your mistakes and not be held by the hand every time you fall down. I did not make the choices they did and now i am having to pay for it with my tax dollars.

When is the last time you were treated by the Canadian health care system? That's what I thought. Have you checked the average life expectancy rates in the US and Canada? How about the surveys on who are the "happiest" people? I will take my health care system over yours 95% of the time. And for the other 5% of the time (when I am dieing in a waiting line), I will just spend my own money and use private facilities. You shouldn't speak of things you have no knowledge of.

As for letting things fail. Do you understand the fallout of those industries failing? It would not have been just them "learning from their own mistakes", it would have devestated the economy.

habsheaven
01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
He has SPENT more money in his first 3 years in office than EVERY SINGLE President COMBINED. You can not honestly say this person has not spent us into a complete disaster. You talk about the Auto Industry and Banking industry how about all the GREEN energy that was a major FAIL. The only good thing is the more he spends the more my gold and silver go up.

I already addressed this. Obviously, you can't grasp what I am saying so I won't bother repeating it.

andrewhoya
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
You do realize that the usually conservative Rassmussen poll still has Obama beating both Gingrich and Romney, right?

Paul is expected to win, correct? Still plenty of time, though.

andrewhoya
01-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Paul is expected to win, correct? Still plenty of time, though.

Never mind, the r. Poll said he'd lose by 10. Another website said he'd win by 1%.

mrveggieman
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Some of the people on the board need to take a economics 101 and come back on here and let us know what they learned.

tsjct
01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I already addressed this. Obviously, you can't grasp what I am saying so I won't bother repeating it.

And you have yet to acknowledge it. Your very rude and a know it all but from i see you know very little and just like to argue. I do know a lot about the Canada health care system as i have a cousin who lives in London Ontario and he lets me know all the time just how bad the health care system is. For the RICH i am sure its fine but for the rest it SUCKS. I thought you were all about fairness but yet you say you will spend YOUR BIG BUCKS and get treatment. What about the rest of the people you all ways refer to for fairness?? :rolleyes:

habsheaven
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
And you have yet to acknowledge it. Your very rude and a know it all but from i see you know very little and just like to argue. I do know a lot about the Canada health care system as i have a cousin who lives in London Ontario and he lets me know all the time just how bad the health care system is. For the RICH i am sure its fine but for the rest it SUCKS. I thought you were all about fairness but yet you say you will spend YOUR BIG BUCKS and get treatment. What about the rest of the people you all ways refer to for fairness?? :rolleyes:

When are you going to acknowledge the situation Obama came into? I do not need to acknowledge how much he has spent, we can all see it. The issue is WHY he is spending it. Speak to that issue.

As for health care, EVERYONE is covered. It certainly does not suck. For people living paycheck to paycheck, needing money to pay for a doctor's visit would SUCK. Ask your cousin what NOT being covered would be like for him. That's the part you do not understand.

Many of us have additional coverage through employer insurance plans and private insurance plans. Just like people in the States.

duane1969
01-26-2012, 09:38 AM

MY PRESIDENT:

6. DADT repeal...check

1. Would have happened no matter who the Prez was. But +1 Obama anyway.

2. Deceptive number as this is based on those who are applying for unemployment benefits and are seeking work, not those who are actually unemployed. Many have run out of benefits and are no longer counted but are still unemployed. This number also does not reflect those who lost full-time jobs and took part-time jobs just to have some income.

3. Would like to know where this number comes from. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, since Obama took office there has been a loss of 4,303,000 jobs and a gain of 2,654,000 jobs. I am no math guru but my calculator comes up with a net loss of 1,649,000 jobs.

4. Deceptive data. For 22 months, yes. Since he took office, no. 5 of the first 6 quarters of Obama's presidency were economic decline including the biggest economic decline in years during the first quarter of 2009.

5. Again. Would have happened with any president. But +1 Obama.

6. +1 Obama

7. Deceptive wording. Tax hikes? No. Elimination of tax breaks? Yes. Net result is an increase in certain tax areas.

8. +1 Obama. Not exactly a presidential accomplishment tho. Clinton proved that fidelity is not a presidential requirement.

9. Even tho the numbers from #3 are deceptive, this is funny. Obama claims to have created 1.6 million jobs total and 1.5 million were in the auto industry? So if one believes the Dem numbers, he only created 100,000 non-auto industry jobs?

10. +1 Obama

11. Sorry. This was a joke. Not a +1 for him since he did nothing to earn or deserve it. Other presidents received it after they left office because they received it for their accomplishments as president. Obama getting it right after he took office was nothing more than a PR stunt.

12. Mortgage mod doesn't work. Most mortgage companies don't do them and the few that do only do it for long-term homeowners, not new homeowners, which is the ones who were losing their homes from the Fannie/Freddie lending fiasco.

13. I am neutral. I am middle class and will pay more in taxes this year than ever. Perhaps I am the wrong middle-class.

14. Yes, he reformed health care, in spite of 2/3rds of America opposing it, he reformed it. -1 Obama

15. I am unaware of him reforming the financial system. Could someone explain?

tsjct
01-26-2012, 09:42 AM
When are you going to acknowledge the situation Obama came into? I do not need to acknowledge how much he has spent, we can all see it. The issue is WHY he is spending it. Speak to that issue.

As for health care, EVERYONE is covered. It certainly does not suck. For people living paycheck to paycheck, needing money to pay for a doctor's visit would SUCK. Ask your cousin what NOT being covered would be like for him. That's the part you do not understand.

Many of us have additional coverage through employer insurance plans and private insurance plans. Just like people in the States.

This says enough for me!
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46404

Star_Cards
01-26-2012, 10:11 AM

The "He spent more money than every other president combined" if a pretty flawed argument. I'm not sure about early U.S. government budgets, but the with inflation and the increased volume of the U.S. population and services that they provide of course any current president is going to spend ay more than a bunch of our early U.S. presidents. It's like comparing movie box office numbers from now to movies of the past. You can't do it because movies cost so much more these days. I do agree that spending has to be reigned in but this comparison is a faulty comparison simply because of inflation and population size.

habsheaven
01-26-2012, 10:19 AM
This says enough for me!
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46404

Can you post the link for the top 10 green initiative successes that this website has found? Surely, there are some successful initiatives out there.

habsheaven
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
The "He spent more money than every other president combined" if a pretty flawed argument. I'm not sure about early U.S. government budgets, but the with inflation and the increased volume of the U.S. population and services that they provide of course any current president is going to spend ay more than a bunch of our early U.S. presidents. It's like comparing movie box office numbers from now to movies of the past. You can't do it because movies cost so much more these days. I do agree that spending has to be reigned in but this comparison is a faulty comparison simply because of inflation and population size.

Stop trying to defend Obama by MAKING SENSE. It will get you nowhere.

duane1969
01-26-2012, 10:32 AM

I agree, using the national debt from 100 years ago is unfair.

However, the value of the dollar has not increased to the point that comparing recent history is unfair.

*In 8 years under Bill Clinton the national debt increased from $4.535 trillion to $5.662 trillion. A yearly average of $140 billion and a total increase of 24% or 3% per year.
*In 8 years under George W. the national debt increased from $5.662 to $10.669 trillion. A yearly increase of $625 billion and a total increase of 88% or 11% per year.
*In 3 years under Obama the national debt has increased from $10.669 to $15.227 trillion. A yearly increase of $1.5 trillion and a total increase of 42% or 14% per year.

If Obama wins another 4 year term it is projected that the national debt will be $24.039 trillion by 2015, which represents a yearly increase of $1.67 trillion and a total increase of 125% or 15.6% per year.

Another telling factor.
*Under Clinton the yearly national debt total represented 57-68% of the GDP.
*Under George W. the yearly national debt total represented 57-74% of the GDP.
*Under Obama the yearly national debt has represented 86-99% of the GDP.

What does this mean? Under Clinton and W. the national debt increase and GDP growth were nearly identical. Under Obama the national debt has increased at a much higher rate than the GDP is increasing.

pghin08
01-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree, using the national debt from 100 years ago is unfair.

However, the value of the dollar has not increased to the point that comparing recent history is unfair.

*In 8 years under Bill Clinton the national debt increased from $4.535 trillion to $5.662 trillion. A yearly average of $140 billion and a total increase of 24% or 3% per year.
*In 8 years under George W. the national debt increased from $5.662 to $10.669 trillion. A yearly increase of $625 billion and a total increase of 88% or 11% per year.
*In 3 years under Obama the national debt has increased from $10.669 to $15.227 trillion. A yearly increase of $1.5 trillion and a total increase of 42% or 14% per year.

If Obama wins another 4 year term it is projected that the national debt will be $24.039 trillion by 2015, which represents a yearly increase of $1.67 trillion and a total increase of 125% or 15.6% per year.

Another telling factor.
*Under Clinton the yearly national debt total represented 57-68% of the GDP.
*Under George W. the yearly national debt total represented 57-74% of the GDP.
*Under Obama the yearly national debt has represented 86-99% of the GDP.

What does this mean? Under Clinton and W. the national debt increase and GDP growth were nearly identical. Under Obama the national debt has increased at a much higher rate than the GDP is increasing.

But what happens to Obama's numbers if you take out the stimulus packages (which, by the way, every Keynesian economist wanted, and would have happened REGARDLESS of who was elected). It's utterly amazing to me how everyone just blatantly disregards the fact that Obama took office in the middle of the biggest financial crisis in 75+ years.

habsheaven
01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
But what happens to Obama's numbers if you take out the stimulus packages (which, by the way, every Keynesian economist wanted, and would have happened REGARDLESS of who was elected). It's utterly amazing to me how everyone just blatantly disregards the fact that Obama took office in the middle of the biggest financial crisis in 75+ years.

They will not acknowledge that. You are just going to be accused of BLAMING BUSH, even though you are not.

tsjct
01-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Yes he took office when the economy was not in the best of shape. But when are you going to look at the WASTEFUL spending that is not helping create jobs but just making the government bigger. How much more will he run us into debt?

duane1969
01-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Probably the same thing if you take out the stimulus package and tax breaks that Bush put through.

But I agree, Obama should get a free pass. So should Bush. If you look at the long-term economic numbers the downturn started in the final quarter of Clinton's presidency. So I guess W. and Obama get a free pass and Clinton gets the blame...

In the end Obama is the biggest failure as a president in the history of America. He is not responsible for anything he has done and he has done nothing that he said he would.

pghin08
01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Probably the same thing if you take out the stimulus package and tax breaks that Bush put through.

But I agree, Obama should get a free pass. So should Bush. If you look at the long-term economic numbers the downturn started in the final quarter of Clinton's presidency. So I guess W. and Obama get a free pass and Clinton gets the blame...

In the end Obama is the biggest failure as a president in the history of America. He is not responsible for anything he has done and he has done nothing that he said he would.

I totally agree with you on Bush. I think it's unfair to him too. He did what he had to do at the end of his term.

As for your last comment, I'm going to say the same thing that I said to the people who thought that about George W, it is WAY too soon to tell.

duane1969
01-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I totally agree with you on Bush. I think it's unfair to him too. He did what he had to do at the end of his term.

As for your last comment, I'm going to say the same thing that I said to the people who thought that about George W, it is WAY too soon to tell.

I was being a bit of a smartypants on that last part, but if the current process of not owning his own reality continues and he continues to disappoint on campaign promises, then that is how I think history will see him.

OnePimpTiger
01-27-2012, 06:55 PM
1. Would have happened no matter who the Prez was. But +1 Obama anyway.

2. Deceptive number as this is based on those who are applying for unemployment benefits and are seeking work, not those who are actually unemployed. Many have run out of benefits and are no longer counted but are still unemployed. This number also does not reflect those who lost full-time jobs and took part-time jobs just to have some income.

3. Would like to know where this number comes from. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, since Obama took office there has been a loss of 4,303,000 jobs and a gain of 2,654,000 jobs. I am no math guru but my calculator comes up with a net loss of 1,649,000 jobs.

4. Deceptive data. For 22 months, yes. Since he took office, no. 5 of the first 6 quarters of Obama's presidency were economic decline including the biggest economic decline in years during the first quarter of 2009.

5. Again. Would have happened with any president. But +1 Obama.

6. +1 Obama

7. Deceptive wording. Tax hikes? No. Elimination of tax breaks? Yes. Net result is an increase in certain tax areas.

8. +1 Obama. Not exactly a presidential accomplishment tho. Clinton proved that fidelity is not a presidential requirement.

9. Even tho the numbers from #3 are deceptive, this is funny. Obama claims to have created 1.6 million jobs total and 1.5 million were in the auto industry? So if one believes the Dem numbers, he only created 100,000 non-auto industry jobs?

10. +1 Obama

11. Sorry. This was a joke. Not a +1 for him since he did nothing to earn or deserve it. Other presidents received it after they left office because they received it for their accomplishments as president. Obama getting it right after he took office was nothing more than a PR stunt.

12. Mortgage mod doesn't work. Most mortgage companies don't do them and the few that do only do it for long-term homeowners, not new homeowners, which is the ones who were losing their homes from the Fannie/Freddie lending fiasco.

13. I am neutral. I am middle class and will pay more in taxes this year than ever. Perhaps I am the wrong middle-class.

14. Yes, he reformed health care, in spite of 2/3rds of America opposing it, he reformed it. -1 Obama

15. I am unaware of him reforming the financial system. Could someone explain?

Thank you...I thought I was the only one who read that list and was laughing out loud. After reading that list, I guess you really can polish any turd.

Conveniently that list doesn't mention his promise to close Guantanamo, initially sending more troops to the Middle East, increasing unemployment to over 10% before the decrease to "just" 8.5%, the fact that millions more jobs were lost than created, creating record deficits, creating record debt increases, allowing Iran to gain nuclear capability, giving administration jobs to major donors after a campaign promise to end that practice. If you put super spin on only positive things someone does, you can make anyone sound like they've done a good job.