PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Death Row Inmate Writes Letter About Life of 'Leisure'

pwaldo
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/north-carolina-death-row-inmate-writes-letter-life-152637993--abc-news.html

A convicted murderer on death row in North Carolina wrote a taunting letter to his hometown newspaper about his life of "leisure" in prison and making a mockery of the legal system.

Danny Robbie Hembree Jr. was found guilty of murdering 17-year-old Heather Catterton in 2009 and was sentenced to death on Nov. 18, 2011.

Hembree, 50, is on death row at Central Prison in Raleigh, N.C., but he's not looking for any pity in the letter he sent to The Gaston Gazette.

"Is the public aware that I am a gentleman of leisure, watching color TV in the A.C., reading, taking naps at will, eating three well balanced hot meals a day," Hembree asked in the letter. "I'm housed in a building that connects to the new 55 million dollar hospital with round the clock free medical care 24/7."

"I am a man who is ready to except [sic] his unju™™™™l punishment and face God almighty with a clean conscience unlike you cowards and your cowardly system," Hembree wrote. "Kill me if you can suckers. Ha! Ha! Ha!"

The letter is signed, "Sincerely, Danny Hembree."

mrveggieman
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
What kind of capital punishment do they have in the state of north carolina?

duane1969
01-26-2012, 09:04 AM
What kind of capital punishment do they have in the state of north carolina?

They use lethal injection but I don't think they have actually executed anyone in about 5 or 6 years.

mrveggieman
01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
They use lethal injection but I don't think they have actually executed anyone in about 5 or 6 years.

Wow so this guy can go around killing people, go to jail to live lavishly off the system, get free healthcare and then be put to sleep to die peacefully if the state even gets the chance to execute him before he dies of old age. Only in America. SMH.

ensbergcollector
01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Wow so this guy can go around killing people, go to jail to live lavishly off the system, get free healthcare and then be put to sleep to die peacefully if the state even gets the chance to execute him before he dies of old age. Only in America. SMH.

it's not just north carolina. this is standard pretty much anywhere since apparently not having cable tv is against human rights or something.

PDawson21
01-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes! I was looking for this article yesterday after I saw it on the news. I think they should get rid of the memoritorium(spelling?) on death row. Spending 20 years on Death Row isn't benefitting anyone is it?

mrveggieman
01-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I like Duane's idea he had a while back for people accused of capital crimes. Have your first trial. If you are found guilty you have 1 year to prepare for an appeal. If you lose your appeal you are executed within 24 hours.

duane1969
01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Texas has a "fast-track" policy. If 3 or more people witnessed you killing someone you go into the execution express lane.

Star_Cards
01-26-2012, 10:24 AM

so having three meals a day, healthcare and watching tv all in a prison is lavish. Sounds like he's trying to ruffle some feathers and act like he's at some sort of resort. I'll take my freedom to do what I want when I want. I doubt he's eating that great of meals.

duane1969
01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
so having three meals a day, healthcare and watching tv all in a prison is lavish. Sounds like he's trying to ruffle some feathers and act like he's at some sort of resort. I'll take my freedom to do what I want when I want. I doubt he's eating that great of meals.

Compared to prisons of other countries, he is in the lap of luxury.

In fact, 3 meals a day, a warm bed, cable TV and health care is the lap of luxury compared to what a lot of "free" Americans have right now.

Star_Cards
01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Compared to prisons of other countries, he is in the lap of luxury.

In fact, 3 meals a day, a warm bed, cable TV and health care is the lap of luxury compared to what a lot of "free" Americans have right now.

true but we aren't in another country. I get that some americans have tough lives (most probably wouldn't trade places to get 3 meals, a bed, tv, and healthcare), but you have to factor in a lot of other things that prison takes away when weighing which way of life would be better. It's not like he's sitting in a hotel room watching tv and receiving free room service. I'll still take my freedom unless my situation get much more extreme.