PDA

View Full Version : Homosexuality should it be a part of sex education?

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Here's the question. Although I don't morally agree with homosexuality it is a part of society and a part of sex for some people. People have been gay since day 1 and will be until the end of time. My question is should homosexuality be a part of the sex ed ciriculum in school. Now I know your first comeback is "I don't want the school to teach my kids to be gay."' No one is going to do that. Your kids sexual preference was already established before taking sex ed and nothing taught to them in the class will change that.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
great question. I don't see why not. There are homosexuals that are going to class so it should be in the curriculum in my opinion.

It wouldn't be teaching kids to be gay. They teach about a lot of concepts in school and that doesn't mean the kids in turn become them. Agreed. I'm attracted to women and no matter how much I learned about homosexuality doesn't that.

I also think discussing it in sex ed would bring about more acceptance and straight people would be way less ignorant about it. Would also make it easier for kids who are dealing with figuring out their sexuality (not even speaking about having intercourse).

habsheaven
01-27-2012, 01:38 PM
I was never taught sex ed in school so I really have no idea what they actually teach. I assume they start out with the basic birds and bees and progress on to health issues including venereal diseases and such. I would think homosexuality would be grouped in with other topics such as masturbation and would be lightly covered with an emphasis on group discussions to cover any more detailed questions that the students have.

TPotts
01-27-2012, 01:45 PM
This is going to be an old fashion answer but I feel that it isn't quite "the norm" so my answer would have to be no.

Also never had sex-ed in high school. Touched base in health class, but didn't go in depth.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 02:02 PM
This is going to be an old fashion answer but I feel that it isn't quite "the norm" so my answer would have to be no.

Also never had sex-ed in high school. Touched base in health class, but didn't go in depth.

I'm not sure that something not being the norm should be a reason to keep a topic out of curriculum. There are lots of topics that are taught in public school that isn't the norm in classes such as history. For me it's more about the concept than how main stream the topic is. Communism isn't the norm in the U.S., but they still discuss it in school.

When I view sex ed in school I don't really think it needs to be a class like english or math where a student takes 3 full years of it, but a topic in health. While we are at it I think a more intensive nutrition and physical fitness curriculum could be a benefit as well.

sportscardrage
01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
For me I don't think it should be. Sure it should be taught, but the big thing is that a lot of kids don't want to be know as homosexual because they aren't comfortable with who they are. So would you be forcing kids to come out before they are set to do so in their own way. Not only that but isn't really the only difference between straight and homosexual sex ed the entire pregnancy subject? I mean the rest is pretty much covered already, no?

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't think talking about the topic would force kids to come out if they aren't already. I guess the simple fact of bringing up the subject may make some uncomfortable if they don't want to have to tell their classmates. Although, it's not like the teachers would make the students tell people if they are gay or straight.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
For me I don't think it should be. Sure it should be taught, but the big thing is that a lot of kids don't want to be know as homosexual because they aren't comfortable with who they are. So would you be forcing kids to come out before they are set to do so in their own way. Not only that but isn't really the only difference between straight and homosexual sex ed the entire pregnancy subject? I mean the rest is pretty much covered already, no?

No one is going to be asked or made to come out of the closet. Homosexuality would be taught as any other aspect of sex. If a student comes out and asks questions that would lead people to believe he/she is gay that is entireley on them.

sportscardrage
01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't think talking about the topic would force kids to come out if they aren't already. I guess the simple fact of bringing up the subject may make some uncomfortable if they don't want to have to tell their classmates. Although, it's not like the teachers would make the students tell people if they are gay or straight.

I don't see how they would have homosexual sex education in with the curriculum of straight sex education. Could you imagine the outcry from kids parents if they found out that that was the case? I'm not saying its right but parents have the right to be against what they are being taught.

Not only that with how immature kids really are, especially when it comes to topics such as homosexuality it would make the homosexual kids feel even more like an outcast if it was being taught along with the kids that would be cracking jokes and making a mockery out of it all.

habsheaven
01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't see how they would have homosexual sex education in with the curriculum of straight sex education. Could you imagine the outcry from kids parents if they found out that that was the case? I'm not saying its right but parents have the right to be against what they are being taught.

Not only that with how immature kids really are, especially when it comes to topics such as homosexuality it would make the homosexual kids feel even more like an outcast if it was being taught along with the kids that would be cracking jokes and making a mockery out of it all.

You mean in the same way that they do with female menstruation? Girls deal with, I am sure any gay student can too.

sportscardrage
01-27-2012, 02:20 PM
You mean in the same way that they do with female menstruation? Girls deal with, I am sure any gay student can too.

Ok but that's not what someone is. You're not defining a woman if you crack jokes about female menstruation. And frankly women aren't outcasted because of that fact.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM

Kids are going to be childish and immiture and some parents will continue to be ignorant, bigoted and closed minded. It is a sad but unfortunate fact of life. That being said homosexuality is a fact of life that is not going away and anything that deals with every day life and what kids will face in and after they leave school must be taught if not we are doing our kids a great disservice.

theonedru
01-27-2012, 02:31 PM
kids are going to be childish and immiture and some parents will continue to be ignorant, bigoted and closed minded. It is a sad but unfortunate fact of life. That being said homosexuality is a fact of life that is not going away and anything that deals with every day life and what kids will face in and after they leave school must be taught if not we are doing our kids a great disservice.

+1

sportscardrage
01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Kids are going to be childish and immiture and some parents will continue to be ignorant, bigoted and closed minded. It is a sad but unfortunate fact of life. That being said homosexuality is a fact of life that is not going away and anything that deals with every day life and what kids will face in and after they leave school must be taught if not we are doing our kids a great disservice.

As I kind of agree with the sentiment that kids need to be taught on what to deal with after they get out of school. Kids are really growing up to fast now a days. They aren't kids anymore because of how society is and honestly as you get older not having that childhood sucks, its why so many adults (just look at childhood stars) flash back to a irresponsible life. At least that's my opinion. Granted that isn't really what this subject is about.

Why I said that because sex ed, at least in my school, was either 5th or 6th grade, I forget exactly which one. Sure there was health class in high school for one semester but that was more about our body and organs and the like it only touched on sex ed. I guess what I'm saying when kids are really ready to know who exactly they are. I mean really know who they are, way into their teens I would be all for homosexuality sex ed being taught, but if it was when I got sex ed in 5th or 6th grade I think it would be wrong. I think it would confuse more kids than anything.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
As I kind of agree with the sentiment that kids need to be taught on what to deal with after they get out of school. Kids are really growing up to fast now a days. They aren't kids anymore because of how society is and honestly as you get older not having that childhood sucks, its why so many adults (just look at childhood stars) flash back to a irresponsible life. At least that's my opinion. Granted that isn't really what this subject is about.

Why I said that because sex ed, at least in my school, was either 5th or 6th grade, I forget exactly which one. Sure there was health class in high school for one semester but that was more about our body and organs and the like it only touched on sex ed. I guess what I'm saying when kids are really ready to know who exactly they are. I mean really know who they are, way into their teens I would be all for homosexuality sex ed being taught, but if it was when I got sex ed in 5th or 6th grade I think it would be wrong. I think it would confuse more kids than anything.

From what I have read up on most kids now way before 5th or 6th grade what their sexual preference is. Now I'm not saying go into graphic details or make homosexuality out to be the "cool" thing to do but kids today are indeed growing up fast and do have a lot of questions that should be addressed. I say have age appropriate sex ed in schools.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Here's the question. Although I don't morally agree with homosexuality it is a part of society and a part of sex for some people. People have been gay since day 1 and will be until the end of time. My question is should homosexuality be a part of the sex ed ciriculum in school. Now I know your first comeback is "I don't want the school to teach my kids to be gay."' No one is going to do that. Your kids sexual preference was already established before taking sex ed and nothing taught to them in the class will change that.

As long as facts are being taught and opinions not inserted into the discussion, I don't have a problem with it. However, how would it be taught other than to say, "Some people are gay"?

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
As long as facts are being taught and opinions not inserted into the discussion, I don't have a problem with it. However, how would it be taught other than to say, "Some people are gay"?

I would assume it would be age appropriate. A child in elementary school probably wouldn't have the detailed questions that a high school student would have. Any question that could be asked and answered in regards to straight sex could be answered in regards to gay sex.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 02:51 PM
I would assume it would be age appropriate. A child in elementary school probably wouldn't have the detailed questions that a high school student would have. Any question that could be asked and answered in regards to straight sex could be answered in regards to gay sex.

Then you get into questions that truly have no scientific answer like, "Are you born gay?" The answer provided by most teachers, of course, would be "yes." That's where you run into problems.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 02:57 PM

who said the curriculum would be straight sex education? it's sex ed in general. it's not like they are teaching the kids to be straight or gay. some kids are going to crack jokes no matter what straight, gay, whatever.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Ok but that's not what someone is. You're not defining a woman if you crack jokes about female menstruation. And frankly women aren't outcasted because of that fact.

being gay is not what someone is either. ignorant people just thing that is all they are.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 03:03 PM

It would become a topic when discussing STDs and being safe and that sort of stuff. There are a lot of people that have no clue of all the ways one can get an STD.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Then you get into questions that truly have no scientific answer like, "Are you born gay?" The answer provided by most teachers, of course, would be "yes." That's where you run into problems.

is it a problem because it goes against what most religious people think?

attraction is something involuntary for the most part... at least for me. I personally think no one sits down and decides who or what they are attracted to. That's not to say that we don't learn what we are attracted to throughout our lives nor is it always set in stone.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
is it a problem because it goes against what most religious people think?

attraction is something involuntary for the most part... at least for me. I personally think no one sits down and decides who or what they are attracted to. That's not to say that we don't learn what we are attracted to throughout our lives nor is it always set in stone.

No, it's a problem when you start offering opinions as facts, especially to kids.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM

When I was in high school in the 1990s my health teacher taught us that homosexuals were born that way. Most religions disagree. The bishop at my church says if you were born gay you can become born again. My spin is if you don't believe in homosexuality by all means dont be homosexual. However that does not give you the right to deny someone access to education about ones sexual health.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
who said it would be offered or that it would be offered as fact? why can't two sides be presented like what happens in a philosophy class for example?

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
When I was in high school in the 1990s my health teacher taught us that homosexuals were born that way. Most religions disagree. The bishop at my church says if you were born gay you can become born again. My spin is if you don't believe in homosexuality by all means dont be homosexual. However that does not give you the right to deny someone access to education about ones sexual health.

Homosexuality is not something that you choose to believe in. It exists. I said that I was for education as long as no opinions were inserted into the discussion.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
who said it would be offered or that it would be offered as fact? why can't two sides be presented like what happens in a philosophy class for example?

Based on your knowledge of what goes on in our government schools, do you think that it would not be offered as fact? I don't have a problem with both sides being represented either.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Homosexuality is not something that you choose to believe in. It exists. I said that I was for education as long as no opinions were inserted into the discussion.

You are wanting the impossible to happen. This is not math were everyone would agree that 2+2=4. When the topic of homosexuality comes up everyone is going to have an opinion and a lot of kids are going to have questions. You want sex ed to be taught in a black and white way with no grey area and that just simply is not going to happen.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
You are wanting the impossible to happen. This is not math were everyone would agree that 2+2=4. When the topic of homosexuality comes up everyone is going to have an opinion and a lot of kids are going to have questions. You want sex ed to be taught in a black and white way with no grey area and that just simply is not going to happen.

As long as both sides are taught in an objective manner, I have no problem with it either.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Based on your knowledge of what goes on in our government schools, do you think that it would not be offered as fact? I don't have a problem with both sides being represented either.

dunno. I think it would completely depends on the writers of the curriculum and the individual teacher. Mt stance is that if it's a choice or ingrained doesn't need to be brought up at all in a science/health type of class.

bottom line, the benefit of sex ed far outweighs that of just not doing it do to talking about gay sex or not or it's origins.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 03:35 PM
dunno. I think it would completely depends on the writers of the curriculum and the individual teacher. Mt stance is that if it's a choice or ingrained doesn't need to be brought up at all in a science/health type of class.

bottom line, the benefit of sex ed far outweighs that of just not doing it do to talking about gay sex or not or it's origins.

That would probably be the first question bought up. Why are people gay?

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:36 PM
My stance is that if it's a choice or ingrained doesn't need to be brought up at all in a science/health type of class.

This is what I would prefer also.

Star_Cards
01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
easy answer, they are gay because they are attracted to people of the same sex.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
That would probably be the first question bought up. Why are people gay?

And would the more likely answer be:

A. Because they are born that way.

or

B. Nobody really know for certain. Some people think they are born that way, and some people think it is a personal decision.

habsheaven
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
No, it's a problem when you start offering opinions as facts, especially to kids.

Kids are pretty smart if you give them a chance. A simple response of "there are different theories on why some people are gay", followed by a discussion of "born that way, environmental conditioning, choice, etc" would be all that is needed. As long as the teacher does not lead the kids to any specific conclusion, I think it would be fine.

ensbergcollector
01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
ok, question. since most of sex ed is dealing with the details of reproduction, our bodies physical differences, and diseases. How exactly does one teach about homosexuality in that context? not being sarcastic, i really don't see it. Because the heterosexual sex was only taught in terms of reproduction.

AUTaxMan
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Kids are pretty smart if you give them a chance. A simple response of "there are different theories on why some people are gay", followed by a discussion of "born that way, environmental conditioning, choice, etc" would be all that is needed. As long as the teacher does not lead the kids to any specific conclusion, I think it would be fine.

I don't have a problem with the subject matter. I just don't trust that government teachers would handle this subject responsibly.

habsheaven
01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't have a problem with the subject matter. I just don't trust that government teachers would handle this subject responsibly.

And that is a very legitimate concern.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
ok, question. since most of sex ed is dealing with the details of reproduction, our bodies physical differences, and diseases. How exactly does one teach about homosexuality in that context? not being sarcastic, i really don't see it. Because the heterosexual sex was only taught in terms of reproduction.

Dude are you serious? What world do you live in. Weather you like, I like it or anyone else on here there are gay people in this world. Homosexuality was referenced in the bible and I'm sure that people were homosexual before the bible was written. This is not about ignorant closed minded sex ed. Some people are gay. We both may not morally agree with them but they are apart of our society and they do have the right to learn about their sexual health. Homosexuality, bisexuality as well as hetorsexuality are a part of sex. Please do not be so close minded.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 03:49 PM

I really don't trust the gov't to do anything responsibly but someone has to step in. Some parents refuse to do their job of giving their kids their primary education so the state has to step in.

ensbergcollector
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Dude are you serious? What world do you live in. Weather you like, I like it or anyone else on here there are gay people in this world. Homosexuality was referenced in the bible and I'm sure that people were homosexual before the bible was written. This is not about ignorant closed minded sex ed. Some people are gay. We both may not morally agree with them but they are apart of our society and they do have the right to learn about their sexual health. Homosexuality, bisexuality as well as hetorsexuality are a part of sex. Please do not be so close minded.

wow wow wow...hold on a minute. what in the world are you talking about? I am fully aware there are homosexual people out there and I was not speaking out against that. How did you get out of what i posted that i live in a world without homosexuality or even that I have a problem with it?

i was asking an honest question. my sex education class dealt with the physical male and female body. It dealt with the physicality of how children are born. It dealt with the diseases that are possible with sex. I was genuinely asking what including homosexuality would look like in sex ed because I didn't feel like the sex ed i got made a deal about homosexual or heterosexual. It was informative about the human body and reproduction.

so, not sure what you think I was trying to say, but I was honestly asking what it would look like.

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
wow wow wow...hold on a minute. what in the world are you talking about? I am fully aware there are homosexual people out there and I was not speaking out against that. How did you get out of what i posted that i live in a world without homosexuality or even that I have a problem with it?

i was asking an honest question. my sex education class dealt with the physical male and female body. It dealt with the physicality of how children are born. It dealt with the diseases that are possible with sex. I was genuinely asking what including homosexuality would look like in sex ed because I didn't feel like the sex ed i got made a deal about homosexual or heterosexual. It was informative about the human body and reproduction.

so, not sure what you think I was trying to say, but I was honestly asking what it would look like.

People have sex for reasons other than reproducation. So people prefer to have sex with the opposite gender, some with the same some with both. That is part of sex ed the good, the bad and the ugly. Students do have the right to know and that is why is should be included.

ensbergcollector
01-27-2012, 03:58 PM
People have sex for reasons other than reproducation. So people prefer to have sex with the opposite gender, some with the same some with both. That is part of sex ed the good, the bad and the ugly. Students do have the right to know and that is why is should be included.

you are still not answering my question. i admit I am thinking back to my sex ed class for this conversation so that might be the issue. My sex ed class for informative but not in terms of how to have sex or how to pleasure someone. It explained the body parts of both male and female. Not sure how teaching a portion on homosexuality would be different. Our bodies are the same. learning about the male and female body and reproductive systems would seem to cover things regardless of sexual preference.

what exactly are you saying students have a right to know?

mrveggieman
01-27-2012, 04:07 PM
you are still not answering my question. i admit I am thinking back to my sex ed class for this conversation so that might be the issue. My sex ed class for informative but not in terms of how to have sex or how to pleasure someone. It explained the body parts of both male and female. Not sure how teaching a portion on homosexuality would be different. Our bodies are the same. learning about the male and female body and reproductive systems would seem to cover things regardless of sexual preference.

what exactly are you saying students have a right to know?

Most high school students are going to grow up to be adults. Everything that is taught to a child in school is designed to prepare them for adulthood. Sex ed is no different. Why should someone not be taught something that is not illegal that they will need to know in adulthood? Everyone has a right to know about their own bodies including homosexuals. Weather or not you or I think it is morrally wrong is totally irrelevant.

ensbergcollector
01-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Most high school students are going to grow up to be adults. Everything that is taught to a child in school is designed to prepare them for adulthood. Sex ed is no different. Why should someone not be taught something that is not illegal that they will need to know in adulthood? Everyone has a right to know about their own bodies including homosexuals. Weather or not you or I think it is morrally wrong is totally irrelevant.

we are obviously not connecting on this. i am asking what homosexuality in a sex education class would mean. I have not even said I have a problem with it. you keep throwing out that I am morally opposed to it, i am just asking what you are talking about.

tsjct
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
By all means yes this needs to be taught in school. I mean all i hear from Gay's is "I knew from the time i was 5 or 6 yrs old i was gay". I guess by the time they are in High School they need to be reminded again they are GAY? They need to be taught about Promiscuous and not having sex with any guy they meet. They need to be taught they are VERY VERY high risk of contacting AIDS.

boba
01-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Let me change this up a little, don't you think it's a little sick that the government has taken it upon it's self to teach our kids about sex at all? That should be the parents job. And I know everyone is going to say that kids wont be safe if you don't teach them, but people figured it out before they starting teaching this stuff in school.

steelers#1fan
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
My thoughts? Let them teach it, but, if my kids don't want to learn about homosexuality then they should be excused from such teachings. I believe a union between a same sex couple is wrong, but that is my own opinion.

mrveggieman
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
by all means yes this needs to be taught in school. I mean all i hear from gay's is "i knew from the time i was 5 or 6 yrs old i was gay". I guess by the time they are in high school they need to be reminded again they are gay? They need to be taught about promiscuous and not having sex with any guy they meet. They need to be taught they are very very high risk of contacting aids.

+1

mrveggieman
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
we are obviously not connecting on this. i am asking what homosexuality in a sex education class would mean. I have not even said I have a problem with it. you keep throwing out that I am morally opposed to it, i am just asking what you are talking about.

Homosexuality would be taught just like any other form of sex. (Obviously not getting into graphic details of different types of sex on here) Students could feel free to ask whatever questions about the topic they like. They could be taught about the dangers and differences between straight and gay sex.

habsheaven
01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
+1

You really have to start paying attention to WHO is saying WHAT, lol.

mrveggieman
01-30-2012, 09:01 AM
You really have to start paying attention to WHO is saying WHAT, lol.

Yeah I know. I disagree with most of what he says but every once in a while he says something that is on point. :winking0071:

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
By all means yes this needs to be taught in school. I mean all i hear from Gay's is "I knew from the time i was 5 or 6 yrs old i was gay". I guess by the time they are in High School they need to be reminded again they are GAY? They need to be taught about Promiscuous and not having sex with any guy they meet. They need to be taught they are VERY VERY high risk of contacting AIDS.

It's not about reminding anyone about what their sexual orientation is. It's about telling them how pregnancy works and is prevented and how disease is spread and prevented.

I can't tell from your post and sarcasm but are you saying that gays are more promiscuous than straights?

habsheaven
01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Yeah I know. I disagree with most of what he says but every once in a while he says something that is on point. :winking0071:

Pretty sure his last comment was DRIPPING with SARCASM though. lol

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Let me change this up a little, don't you think it's a little sick that the government has taken it upon it's self to teach our kids about sex at all? That should be the parents job. And I know everyone is going to say that kids wont be safe if you don't teach them, but people figured it out before they starting teaching this stuff in school.

I don't find it sick at all. I find it more odd that the United States as a whole gets very worked up when it comes to the topic of sex. I get that a lot of things like this should be a parents job or at least be supplemented from what the parents teach, but it's obvious there are quite a few kids out there that don't get that from their parents. I agree that is a shame that kids can;t rely on their parents for this sort of education, but when I hear that 1 in 6 teenage moms said they didn't know they could get pregnant that's pretty staggering. People talk about getting people off of welfare or any sort of government assistance and a lot of reason why people have to get on those types of services is because they have kids and need help. I think more education could potentially help with that.

tsjct
01-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't find it sick at all. I find it more odd that the United States as a whole gets very worked up when it comes to the topic of sex. I get that a lot of things like this should be a parents job or at least be supplemented from what the parents teach, but it's obvious there are quite a few kids out there that don't get that from their parents. I agree that is a shame that kids can;t rely on their parents for this sort of education, but when I hear that 1 in 6 teenage moms said they didn't know they could get pregnant that's pretty staggering. People talk about getting people off of welfare or any sort of government assistance and a lot of reason why people have to get on those types of services is because they have kids and need help. I think more education could potentially help with that.

The kids can watch MTV and they can get all the education they need. TEEN MOM 2, Jersey Shore, Etc. Very educating in a way. Shows why having kids at a young age is so great. Snookie shows just how to sleep with a new guy each night. Shows the girls how to dress to get those guys. :party0053:

Star_Cards
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
The kids can watch MTV and they can get all the education they need. TEEN MOM 2, Jersey Shore, Etc. Very educating in a way. Shows why having kids at a young age is so great. Snookie shows just how to sleep with a new guy each night. Shows the girls how to dress to get those guys. :party0053:

Discussing sex in an education setting is rather different than watching jersey shore. But you know that. By the way I see teen mom as a decent educational tool being a fairly good form of a deturant for some teens.

Theodor Madison
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
perhaps only allowing child conceiving education, any other should be considered not natural, or give ed to those who want to take gay education. How many would allow your children attend that class??

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 06:56 AM
perhaps only allowing child conceiving education, any other should be considered not natural, or give ed to those who want to take gay education. How many would allow your children attend that class??

I can think of many sexual acts between a man and a woman that have nothing to do with conceiving children. Are you saying they are not natural and should not be discussed in sex ed? And FWIW, I would let my child attend ANY class designed for them to learn. Limiting your children's learning experiences is so wrong.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I can think of many sexual acts between a man and a woman that have nothing to do with conceiving children. Are you saying they are not natural and should not be discussed in sex ed? And FWIW, I would let my child attend ANY class designed for them to learn. Limiting your children's learning experiences is so wrong.

CHURCH!! :love0030:

Theodor Madison
01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
This is why they should be renamed such as gay sex ed , hetrosex ed. If you wish to be different. Different classes should be offered.

mrveggieman
01-31-2012, 09:11 AM
This is why they should be renamed such as gay sex ed , hetrosex ed. If you wish to be different. Different classes should be offered.

So where do you stop? Are you also going to have different classes for different types of sex? Also what about interracial sex? Sad to say but in 2012 some people are also offended by that? Will there be different classes for that? SMH.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
why in the world should sex ed be teaching kids about different kids of sex and foreplay? why does my teenage child need a teacher telling them what different kids of sex are? sex ed should be teaching the physical parts of the male and female body, how you can contract disease, and how procreation takes place.

That has nothing to do with homosexual or not. Even in a straight heterosexual course, my kid doesn't need to learn things that can be found on a porno movie.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
I think people are reading way too much into the posts about thinking schools should teach sex ed. Like ensberg is saying, it's more about health and biology and such, not a class about the kama sutra or anything like that.

I wonder is people think it's a bad idea because they think the kids will be discussing different sexual techniques or watching pornography or something. There's a huge difference between learning sex ed and discussing graphic sexual content with minors.

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 11:07 AM
I think people are reading way too much into the posts about thinking schools should teach sex ed. Like ensberg is saying, it's more about health and biology and such, not a class about the kama sutra or anything like that.

I wonder is people think it's a bad idea because they think the kids will be discussing different sexual techniques or watching pornography or something. There's a huge difference between learning sex ed and discussing graphic sexual content with minors.

Wouldn't/shouldn't oral sex come up for discussion in a sex ed class? It certainly is a health issue. There is a lot that needs to be taught in a "practical sense" besides just how the different parts work.

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM

I get it. Instead of having a "geography" class. We should have a class different class for each country, a class for teaching longitudes and latitudes, another for teaching about topographical features, etc, etc.

That makes so much more sense.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't/shouldn't oral sex come up for discussion in a sex ed class? It certainly is a health issue. There is a lot that needs to be taught in a "practical sense" besides just how the different parts work.

there is absolutely nothing practical about teaching about oral sex, or any other type of foreplay or alternative sexual options.

you can use the "it is a health issue" to discuss every possibility of sexual options.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 11:32 AM

yes, I think it should be said that you can contract disease from oral sex as well as other types of sexual contact. that can be expressed without it turning into some sort of over the top sexual class. It would be discussed like a physician would discuss it.

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
there is absolutely nothing practical about teaching about oral sex, or any other type of foreplay or alternative sexual options.

you can use the "it is a health issue" to discuss every possibility of sexual options.

You speak of having discussions with hundreds of teens yet you are not aware of how much oral sex is going on in the teenage population and how completely ignorant most of these teens are to the risks? smh

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
yes, i think it should be said that you can contract disease from oral sex as well as other types of sexual contact. That can be expressed without it turning into some sort of porn class. It would be discussed like a physician would discuss it.

+1

habsheaven
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
yes, I think it should be said that you can contract disease from oral sex as well as other types of sexual contact. that can be expressed without it turning into some sort of over the top sexual class. It would be discussed like a physician would discuss it.

Of course not. I am not advocating that they teach the "proper" way of performing different acts. Just teach the possible outcomes, much in the same way you would caution against unwanted pregnancies.

ensbergcollector
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
You speak of having discussions with hundreds of teens yet you are not aware of how much oral sex is going on in the teenage population and how completely ignorant most of these teens are to the risks? smh

where did I say i am unaware of anything? smh.

it should be said that you can get disease from oral sex but there is no need for more than that. Also, you do get that kids lie in surveys right? The number of kids who are "completely ignorant" to the risks is much lower than advertised.
The issue is not ignorance. The issue is that teenagers have the superhero complex that nothing bad will happen to them. They are too young and too smart to catch something.

Star_Cards
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Of course not. I am not advocating that they teach the "proper" way of performing different acts. Just teach the possible outcomes, much in the same way you would caution against unwanted pregnancies.

yeah. didn't mean to insinuate that you were. I think we are on the same page on this topic. I was focused on the people that think teaching sex ed in junior high or high school would turn into some back alley, slang filled, pornography laden class rather than a clinical educational tool to inform students about very real consequences to sexual activity. Everyone has sexual desires starting when they are in junior high school, why not give everyone the proper information about it?would you give a 16 year old the keys to a car without teaching them about driving or the consequences of operating a vehicle irresponsibly? and don't take that analogy to mean I want step by step how to's of how to have sex taught.

boba
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
where did I say i am unaware of anything? smh.

it should be said that you can get disease from oral sex but there is no need for more than that. Also, you do get that kids lie in surveys right? The number of kids who are "completely ignorant" to the risks is much lower than advertised.
The issue is not ignorance. The issue is that teenagers have the superhero complex that nothing bad will happen to them. They are too young and too smart to catch something.

+1, if you look at the stats there has been more pregnancies, abortions, and STD's since the schools have started sex ed. People figured it out before the schools started teaching it.

And something else that bothers me is some people on here are saying they have to teach it to stop " unwanted pregnancies " like they are an STD or something. You know what, pregnancies are what naturally happens when you have sex naturally. If you want to avoid pregnancies, imo, you should stay away from any sexual action. Or maybe save yourself for one person to prevent STDs? But you'll never find that taught in the schools.